FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1371799 - 11/03/12 01:15 PM Lyons Dissolution Vote
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
In Lyons, words of advice on dissolution:

LYONS — A Lyons village resident asked the contingent of Seneca Falls officials if they would “undo” dissolution if they could.

The Seneca Falls group was emphatically united.

“No, absolutely not. I wish had it had happened sooner,” said town Supervisor Donald Earle.

Seneca Falls Town Board member Emil Bove agreed.

Former Town Supervisor Peter Same said he’s lived in the former village for 64 of his 68 years.

“Nothing has really changed. It was the right time to do it,” he said.

The Seneca Falls group was invited to Thursday night’s dissolution information meeting at the Lyons Community Center by OneLyons, a group that supports doing away with the 179-year-old Lyons village government.

Lyons village residents will vote on the measure Tuesday.

Lyons, due to a change in state law, will vote Tuesday without a dissolution plan. A plan will be developed only if the vote is to dissolve. Once the plan is finalized, a petition from village residents could force a second vote on whether the plan should be adopted.

Posted: Friday, November 2, 2012 10:31 am

By DAVID L. SHAW dshaw@fltimes.com |

FingerLakes1.com
#1371854 - 11/03/12 08:28 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: newsman38]
sammy-kid Offline

Loc: Florida Keys
good luck Lyons. I hope you don't suffer the the controversy that continues in Seneca Falls.

Same, Earle, and Bove are not very well liked in Seneca Falls.

#1371887 - 11/04/12 04:55 AM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: sammy-kid]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
I hope you all do some real research before you vote? Hey can all vote on this issue village and town or is it all one ided as it was in Seneca Falls where only the village residents got to vote. In MHO that was very wrong for all involved.
Oh Well! Doesn't Matter!

#1372011 - 11/05/12 07:29 AM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: I did it!]
Family Man Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
There really isn't that much controversy in Seneca Falls except from a few people. My overall tax bills decreased by $1600 per yer with dissolution. Life continues in much the same way as it did before dissolution.

#1372066 - 11/05/12 05:37 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: sammy-kid]
sox fan Offline

Loc: ny, usa
Theres no controversy here. Don't speak for me, speak for yourself. Whatever you decide, dont let a landfil be in the equation, people around here would eat somebody elses garbage, before they would give up their beloved DUMP

#1372299 - 11/06/12 10:16 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: sox fan]
RJFDdriver Offline

Loc: USA
Those living outside of the Village of Lyons watch out! Your taxes are about to go up without you even having a say. Not everyone "wins" with dissolution. Any plan should have a binding agreement to include a town wide vote for certain services to give everyone a say in how the town will be set up and operated.

#1372347 - 11/07/12 09:30 AM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: RJFDdriver]
mR. TaToR Offline

Loc: yoda
RJFDdriver your taxes went up less than $500 a year, when are you going to stop crying. People in Lyons don't listen to this guy, he and his VERY small group complain about everything.

#1372499 - 11/07/12 07:37 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: mR. TaToR]
sc4ram Offline

Loc: Wayne
$500 is a sum of significance to a poor-boy from the heartland (assuming that is a accurate number) . Its especially significant if you wake up one morning and you find out you are financing a Village that has arguebly been mis-managed and doesnt seem to have any growth plan. (No plan that Ive read about at all except decay) You must be one of those 1 percenters that the President is making his living on bashing every day. If a $500 tax increase is so insignificant, how about pitching in and helping some of the town folks (or bail-out the village) with your vast wealth \:\) Maybe you can draw upon the President's "stash"

#1372543 - 11/08/12 09:26 AM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: sc4ram]
mR. TaToR Offline

Loc: yoda
I live in the Town and did not support dissolution, but now that I have got my tax bill it's not bad. I'm assuming that you in Lyons already pay a town tax, unlike us in seneca falls in the town we did not pay a town tax. It was zero, thanks to the landfill. My advice to you is to do your own research and not listen to all the lies about your taxes going up 200 percent.

#1374118 - 11/21/12 11:55 AM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: mR. TaToR]
sc4ram Offline

I havent listened to any "lies" because the truth is that nobody knows or can guarantee what the resulting tax burden will be for the town if the Village is dissolved. As somebody once said, "there are known-unknowns and unknown-unknowns", and I suspect that this situation is full of both (ie the Village revealed sometime ago after they allowed Parker Hannifin to leave the Village, apparently without much of a fight, and that Parker had supported ~1/3 of the water utility). It doesnt take a vivid imagination to think there might be more of those type of gems in the manure pile.

Im merely saying that a Town of Lyons tax-payer would be within their rights to be disgruntled about paying $1 more in property taxes (when they live in one of the highest taxed counties in the US) for a Village that was arguebly mis-managed in the first place. Not to mention that a citizen of the Town didnt get a vote on this. Sounds reminiscent of Taxation without Representation.

The Fickle Finger Times has reported the final election results and the Dissolution measure has passed. (if I lived in the Village Id be *itchin about how long it takes to count a couple of hundred ballots). There should be some numbers comming into focus in the comming months.

Since you are a happy volunteer for higher property taxes, I'll ask you to send some of your wealth over to the Town of Lyons, Im sure the town (and its taxpayers) will be happy to see you

#1374273 - 11/22/12 12:34 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: sc4ram]
Steve Dallas Offline

Loc: Bloom County
The thing to remember is that only so much is gained by dissolving one entity and transferring the services to another entity. Especially if the jobs cut are just part-time jobs, whose duties get transferred to a person that becomes full-time with benefits.

The only way to significantly reduce cost, is to reduce services. Swapping around who does the services has only a marginal, and temporary, effect on cost.

#1374348 - 11/23/12 12:03 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: Steve Dallas]
sc4ram Offline

Amen!

#1374777 - 11/26/12 10:44 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: Steve Dallas]
The REAL SF HERO Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve Dallas
...The only way to significantly reduce cost, is to reduce services....

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Working smarter is the way to reduce expenses.

Lyons now has to examine all operations and decide if they are being down in the most efficient manner with the right manpower.

You will find that the Village Board kept people and "their kingdom" intact to justify their budget and actions. I'd bet - plenty of waste.

If you had ever read any Business Efficency White Papers you'd know that the collective wisdom is to always challenge policy and procedure, I'm willing to bet the Village Hawks never did either.

Oh and by the way all of those anti-dissolution people who say shared services are the way to go - it is a sham. Shared services mean to the Village, my rules, my personel, my priorities. Nominal gain if any is achieved on shared services - I guess not all were fooled as dissolution PASSED in LYONS!

#1374979 - 11/28/12 02:08 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: The REAL SF HERO]
sc4ram Offline

As you imply, the root of the problem here appears to be that the Village was mis-managed in the first place. I state again, a organization must grow or die. The Village isnt growing (perhaps a microcosm of NYS in general where a good University system and infrasturcture havent stemed a brain drain out of the state in the last several decades). Growth in a municipality will mask a lot of incompetence by its leaders. The Village appears to have neither growth agenda or competence. So the default here is to share the expense load with the Town, not a attractive solution from a Townie's perspective IMO.

#1375068 - 11/29/12 09:02 AM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: sc4ram]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State

A tip for those living outside of the village of Lyons within the town: Get organized and present a show of strength.Demand an equal voice in planning a budget for the entire town and which services are to be retained or expanded. Do not depend on your sitting town board, or those who will be appointed to a committee to prepare a dissolution plan,

Edited by grinch (11/29/12 12:22 PM)

#1375252 - 11/30/12 07:39 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: grinch]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
Democracy works for VanStean only when he is winning.

Funny how we all scream for smaller government but when we get it we complain. Villages create themselves, and dissolve themselves. That is law.

Good luck. Learn by the mistakes Seneca Falls made. Watch out what "change" you vote in.

#1375440 - 12/02/12 05:33 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: Top Dog]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

VanSteamless turned his back on the taxpayers, took his blanket and baby bottle and QUIT.

He is a QUITTER. No honor at all to finish out his term and committment.

Says to me he was only in it for himself. Pretty obvious.

#1389163 - 02/27/13 12:54 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Lyons dissolution committee gets marching orders, advice

LYONS — “It is possible to set aside strong emotional reactions to pursue a rational path.”

The newly formed dissolution committee heard that advice during last night’s special Village Board meeting. The words were pertinent to the setting: Seven dissolution committee members sat patiently in the juror’s box of the court room, listening to the initial introduction of the process set forth by Mayor Corrine Kleisle and consultants from MRB Group.

The issue of dissolution is a controversial one in this Wayne County community. MRB consultant and former village of Seneca Falls Mayor Diana Smith cautioned that personal feelings will cause people to listen less and assume more, an inherently counterproductive approach given the timeline that the committee faces.

After explaining MRB’s role, Smith advised committee members to suspend their beliefs in order to create an optimal plan.
“This is an exceptionally challenging task with an aggressive time table,” Smith reiterated.

She outlined the role of the chairman to be nominated at the first, official dissolution committee meeting and provided a binder of information with a guideline on the phases that will need to be completed during the process.
First meeting

The village of Lyons dissolution committee is scheduled to convene for the first time at 6:30 p.m. March 7 at 76 William St.

Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:18 am
By JULIE ANDERSON janderson@fltimes.com

#1389237 - 02/27/13 05:26 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: sc4ram]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Not to mention that a citizen of the Town didnt get a vote on this

I think it was probably like the SF vote, where only some citizens of the town got a chance to vote.

#1389376 - 02/28/13 02:53 PM Re: Lyons Dissolution Vote [Re: VM Smith]
seneca dad22 Offline

Loc: NY
NYS law states when a VILLAGE dissolves ONLY VILLAGE RESIDENTS CAN VOTE.

Why is this concept so hard for some to grasp?

Is this fair is more the question.

Dissolution was the BEST thing SF ever accomplished.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >