FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1370927 - 10/29/12 12:41 PM Tom Reed Political mailings
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
I can't believe the number of political mailings that have been coming to my POB from Tom Reed and or his PAC's. I have received no less than 12 mailings in the last two weeks.

If I could vote here I would not be casting my vote for him, just on the fact that he is not anti-fracking for the Keuka Lake area. I know where Shingawa stands on the issue, Reed seems to dance around the issue when asked about it. If our lake quality goes down, so does our quality of life! I'm just saying....

FingerLakes1.com
#1370960 - 10/29/12 05:05 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: Mean Gene]
C.I.Brown Offline

Loc: PY,NY
I happen to catch the debate between Reed and Shinagawa at Hobart last Friday and I gotta say the clear winner was Nate Shinagowa. He was energetic, articulated answers clearly, was well informed, and was not afraid to take solid stands, particularly on hydrofracking. I am so happy to see someone who wants to protect our environment by being anti fracting, yet, he gave alternative sources of energy that we could do. Reed's response was that he is "Pro" fracking, however maybe not in the Finger Lakes area since there are an awful lot of peple who are against fracking. Reed's answers all seem to center around what a great family he was raised in. When Reed tried to claim that he doesn't play partisan politics, the audience exhaled one big groan of disbelief and Shhinagowa commented that his voting record is 93% towing the Repbulican line. Clearly the best choice for 23rd District Congressman is Nate Shinagowa.

#1371152 - 10/30/12 03:29 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: C.I.Brown]
pystew Offline

Loc: Beautiful Penn Yan
It probably won't surprise anyone that I support Nate Shinagawa for Congress. In my letter published in the local papers, Nate knows the real needs of real people, and has the experience, both in the Tompkins County Legislature and as a Hospital Administrator at Robert Packer Hospital, to know how to work with the powers to solve the problems.

Rep. Reed has been part of the group that opposed the President's proposals, even when the proposals were originally Republicans proposals.

I believe the money Reed has received from the Oil/Gas PACs ($75,000) and the rest of the Corporate PACs (over $800,000) will help him win. Nate is a hard worker, has been all over the district many, many times---having three or four events a day--is fighting a good fight. Since our district is a new district, there are unknowns that makes this race exciting. I believe it will be a very close race.

I am linking the last Friday's Debate. It is about an hour, but it really goes fast. You can listen to one set of questions and answers at a time. Notice what each candidate's focus is. That might help you decide how to vote.

You can go to Yates County Board of Elections site to see and print a sample ballot.

#1371730 - 11/02/12 10:23 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: pystew]
RepubliCrat Offline

Loc: NYS
Not to mention, Reed has the worst voting record. He cares nothing about workers and has never voted in support of working issues.

#1371738 - 11/02/12 11:01 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: RepubliCrat]
Teonan Offline

Loc: Cayuga bioregion

Go Nate!

Reed-Shinagawa debate to be rebroadcast Sunday

Rebroadcasts are scheduled Sunday of Thursday’s televised debate in Elmira between Republican Tom Reed of Corning and Democrat Nate Shinagawa of Ithaca, who are running for the newly drawn 23rd Congressional District.

The hour-long debate will be rebroadcast at 10 a.m. Sunday on WETM Elmira and at 7 p.m. Sunday on WSYR Syracuse.

WETM is also expected to post the debate on its website: http://www.wetmtv.com

#1372025 - 11/05/12 10:07 AM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: Teonan]
pystew Offline

If you are around Yates County today, Nate will be at Keuka College between 3:30-4:30. He'll be at Jepson Hall (Science building) on the PY side of the campus. It, of course, is open to the public.

#1372044 - 11/05/12 01:09 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: Teonan]
Triumph the Dog Offline

Originally Posted By: Teonan

Vat an election choice: Uncle Fester vs Short Round

#1372354 - 11/07/12 11:00 AM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: Triumph the Dog]
Mean Gene Offline

Sorry to hear Shinagawa lost. I heard it was 51 to 48 percent. A lot closer than predictions. Hopefully Reed doesn't stick it to us when it comes time to protect Keuka Lake from fracking!!

#1372522 - 11/07/12 11:10 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: Triumph the Dog]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Actually, the one on the left reminds me of Godzilla.

I look at the bright side: I'll no longer have to break my back toting the endless T Reed mailings to the curb. He may have set a record for tonnage.

#1372591 - 11/08/12 02:34 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: VM Smith]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Actually, the one on the left reminds me of Godzilla.

I look at the bright side: I'll no longer have to break my back toting the endless T Reed mailings to the curb. He may have set a record for tonnage.

You got that right, I think the recycle bin was half full of his daily mailings!!

#1372615 - 11/08/12 06:19 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: Mean Gene]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
NY anti-fracking candidates fared poorly at polls: Anti-fracking candidates in the Southern Tier were beaten up and down the ballot after intense campaigns, some of which were framed as referendums on shale gas development.

#1372637 - 11/08/12 09:49 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: newsman38]
Mean Gene Offline

Originally Posted By: newsman38
NY anti-fracking candidates fared poorly at polls: Anti-fracking candidates in the Southern Tier were beaten up and down the ballot after intense campaigns, some of which were framed as referendums on shale gas development.

I'm guessing that those who lost were running against incumbents which put them at a large disadvantage. Alsoi its difficult to be a one issue candidate.

#1374058 - 11/21/12 12:14 AM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: Mean Gene]
pystew Offline

I hope you are not calling Shinagawa a one issue candidate. Yes, he was anti hydrofracking, but that was not just because Reed is pro-fracking. As an hospital administrator at Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, PA, he has seen what 'fracking did to northern PA, as well as the health of the residents of the area and the gas industry. He also realized that hydrofracking jobs are 'boom and bust' jobs. His plans are/were to develop 'green job' industries.

He also disagreed with Reed on many topics, including Health Care (Obamacare), medicare, equal pay for equal work, women contraceptive issues, taxing corporations who take jobs overseas (Reed voted to REDUCE their taxes by 20%), and many other topics.

I disagree with the idea that the variable that caused Shinagawa to loose (and the others mentioned in the article) wasn't hydrofracking, but it was the amount of money the rookie candidates raised compared to their incumbent challengers. (Reed out raised Shinagawa 3-1, mostly from Corporate PACs) For Shinagawa to loose 52%-48% in a district that wasn't created is nothing to sneeze about. I don't know if he'll run again, but in 2014, the 23rd district is no longer a 'solid red' state.

#1374591 - 11/25/12 04:34 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: pystew]
pystew Offline

I have recently started a blog, The New NY 23rd, about the political, economical, and cultural happenings in our new congressional district. You can reach the site by clicking here. . I have recently had a few postings about the Fiscal Cliff, and today I discussed the history of Rep. Tom Reed's stands on it, and how not having Congress meet the December 31 deadline could affect the local school systems. I lean a little to the left, but welcome comments and discussions from all sides of the political spectrum. Take a minute or two and visit the site when you have a chance.

#1374620 - 11/25/12 08:37 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: pystew]
dj205 Offline

Loc: in my mind
pystew, it would be nice if you would get rid of that distracting cockroach. Thanks!

#1374667 - 11/26/12 06:40 AM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: pystew]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: pystew
I lean a little to the left..

According to your blog:
Quote:
I am a retire school teacher political geek. I am on the Yates County Democratic Committee and the current chair of the Yates Progressives, as well as a Village Trustee.

The progressive wing of the Democratic party is more than a little to the left. That's squarely in the left.

#1374677 - 11/26/12 08:24 AM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: Triumph the Dog]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Originally Posted By: Triumph the Dog
Originally Posted By: Teonan

Vat an election choice: Uncle Fester vs Short Round

Where oh where is Festie's ear rings?

#1374684 - 11/26/12 09:30 AM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: BigRed]
pystew Offline

Thanks for visiting the blog site. I believe in truth in advertising. It's no secret in who I am. In reality being a Progressive in Yates County is more like center of the road in many other NYS counties. A purpose of the blog is to balance the way political events that affect our district are presented. If you see things differently and your comments are civil (I believe they will be) we'll print them. I like to have a good political discussion. Let me know if you want to receive an email when the blog is updated. The latest entry is the information on sending a Christmas/Holiday card to Servicemen and Veterans through the Holiday For Heroes program.

The Yates Progressives are a loose group who generally watch MSNBC with a little FOX mixed into the schedule. We've held events which were opened to the public, and well attended. The latest was an information about (you better sit down for this one) Obamacare with local health experts explaining how that massive piece of legislation will affect us. There was about 70 at the event.

In the past we've had Robert Freeman, Director of the NYS Committee on Open Government discuss the Freedom of Information Law and the Open Meetings law. We've had a reporter from Newsweek Magazine who was centered in Iraq discuss her experiences. We've also had Pulitzer Prize winning author David Cay Johnson, economist from Syracuse University twice.

We are in the planning stage of another public event, stay tuned for the details.

Edited by pystew (11/26/12 09:39 AM)

#1374688 - 11/26/12 10:34 AM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: pystew]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
...and to be fair I'd have made a similar comment to a GOP committee member who ran the conservative caucus

#1374699 - 11/26/12 12:23 PM Re: Tom Reed Political mailings [Re: BigRed]
C.I.Brown Offline

Loc: PY,NY
Originally Posted By: BigRed
Originally Posted By: pystew
I lean a little to the left..

According to your blog:
Quote:
I am a retire school teacher political geek. I am on the Yates County Democratic Committee and the current chair of the Yates Progressives, as well as a Village Trustee.

The progressive wing of the Democratic party is more than a little to the left. That's squarely in the left.

Gee, that's like saying that the Tea Party and Severely Conservative Republicans are squarely on the right outerfringe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >