FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1362587 --- 09/05/12 10:41 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: RigaMortis]

Originally Posted By: RigaMortis
Aren't they trying to consolidate both school programs now? Waterloo and Seneca Falls. After spending 18 million on a field I don't think their proposal will go through. If it does, what of that new field? It seems like no one on the board who votes for these things actually has a clue of what's going on.
Quote:
trying to consolidate both school programs now? Waterloo and Seneca Falls

What's it matter? You people in the North end can afford a new school campus! Take the village of Seneca Falls. Now they can take the money they would have saved on their village taxes and pay higher school taxes!

FingerLakes1.com
#1362600 --- 09/05/12 12:08 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: RigaMortis]
Carerinoa Offline

Loc: New York
Apparently education failed many of you who are complaining when you can't read previous posts giving the breakdown of the $18 Million Dollars

http://www.sfcs.k12.ny.us/files/1188145/facilities%20publicationedited.pdf

#1362605 --- 09/05/12 12:50 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Carerinoa]
RigaMortis Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
I just read them, and I in fact was wrong stating the 18 million went right to the field. Yet still after spending all that money it wouldn't make sense to merge the two school systems. What happens to the abandoned but updated building? Waterloo recently built their new high school, fields, etc. to practically force the merger and it still didn't pass. I agree in past comments that the money used should have been directly for educational purposes. Seneca Falls really isn't that big of a football town. Or hasn't been since I graduated Mynderse years ago. In fact our soccer and wrestling teams were better than the football teams and we never got anything new. Doesn't matter now, just a random thought.

#1362608 --- 09/05/12 01:28 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: RigaMortis]
Carerinoa Offline

Loc: New York
It also explained that none of those amounts could be used towards annual Operating Budget costs. The district recives a different State Aid rate and allocation for annual budgeting and operational costs. Wouldn't educational purposes fall under that State Aid?

I'm not sure you will see a merger any time soon, but I guess anything could happen.

I agree with you that the Wrestling program needs new equipment, one of the mats, in my opinion, is a safety issue. I can't speak for Soccer, as my child doesn't play that.

#1362625 --- 09/05/12 03:21 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Carerinoa]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
"It also explained that none of those amounts could be used towards annual Operating Budget costs."

The following post concerns the use of Capital reserve funds, not building aid received yearly.

I read some Municipal law covering school districts and it makes one wonder if that assertion by the BOE is correct. What happens to Capital Reserve funds when the need is not there,i.e. a project is completed or it is cancelled and there are funds remaining, or for a host of other reasons there are unexpended balances? There has to be a way to recapture those funds. The ways to accomplish that are explained in the brochure to be found at the url below:

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/pubs/lgmg/reservefunds.pdf

In several sections they mention funds could be used for other needs some of which appear to be operating costs.

While there is little local SCHOOL tax impact (unless the state changes their aid formulas down the road) the accumulative effect of many school districts applying and receiving such aid creates a huge impact on the State Budget which is funded by many different taxes which we must pay. There is no “free” money.

PP: The SFCSD is obligated for the balance due on the bonds, not the State. Should the State renege, district taxpayers will shoulder the costs. Unlikely, but the wording of the proposal indicates the local taxpayers are the ultimate ones obligated for the est. $18million.

Edited by grinch (09/05/12 04:06 PM)

#1362654 --- 09/05/12 07:47 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: ovidtech]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
And as for VM, he is one of the few who I look for when I come to the forums. I have yet seen him ruin a thread as so many do.

Thanks, OT...very kind of you.

I've got to add that Brenda's last blog post sounded like most excellent news to me! There probably aren't sweeter words than "still cancer free". Anyway, tell her to stay "stubborn", as she writes; it seems like it's working!

#1362670 --- 09/05/12 08:54 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
PinkMom4 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, New York
How about you move to a town that has no school taxes and that does not support the town..oh wait there is no place like that!!I suggest you GROW UP your not the only one that pays for the school so stop throwing your pity party how about getting a life and stop complaining about paying for uniforms...Spending 18 million on a field doesn't really make sense but its something you will have to live with..SO DEAL WITH IT!

#1362672 --- 09/05/12 09:03 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: bluezone]
Family Man Offline

Originally Posted By: bluezone
Originally Posted By: Family Man
Teachers pay taxes in the school district so therefore they are allowed to vote.

why should they be allowed to vote themselves a raise?

they should not be allowed to vote on matters that benefit them directly

Using that logic, nobody should be able to vote because we all benefit in some way from the government. You specifically benefit by our county and state governments spending money to fight land in trust by the Natives....

#1362674 --- 09/05/12 09:07 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: bluezone]
Family Man Offline

The private sector has done wonders

they pay for your overgenerous teachers salary, overgenerous pensions and overgenerous healthcare

good to see you voted for the dissolution...vote yes for the merger

As I have paid higher prices for benefits in the private sector. If only you would have agreed to minimum wage throughout your lifetime, my prices for the products I consume would have been much less....see it's a vicious cycle, no matter how you look at it. You like VM are against any expenditure of government money and you hate teachers, as your posts have shown in the past. Who do you hate more teachers or Indians?

#1362675 --- 09/05/12 09:08 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: RigaMortis]
Family Man Offline

Aren't they trying to consolidate both school programs now? Waterloo and Seneca Falls. After spending 18 million on a field I don't think their proposal will go through. If it does, what of that new field? It seems like no one on the board who votes for these things actually has a clue of what's going on.

If you were educated on this matter you would know they didn't spend 18 million on the field.

#1362706 --- 09/06/12 01:43 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
You like VM are against any expenditure of government money and you hate teachers, as your posts have shown in the past.

You still don't quite get it. It's not really accurate to say that I'm against government spending. I am against the existence of government. So, yeah, you can say I'm against government spending, but you're missing my point.

Hate teachers? Pretty strong word there. If I think government is harmful, then I obviously think government schools are harmful. If I want them to wither and die, then of course I don't think those of us who feel that way should be taxed, at the point of a gun, to pay for them, just because some, such as you, think that is fine and just. Even though you don't think so, I have a right to disagree with you. You do believe that I have a right to disagree with you, don't you?

I feel that way even when you, or any other person or group, pays somebody else, known as government, to hold the gun for you. The principle is the same. That certainly doesn't even mean that I even dislike teachers, as individuals, or even as a group, much less that I hate them.

I think the policy of having government schools couldn't be more wrong-headed, but I know that many of those who push it sincerely believe they're doing great works, and seizing other people's money to accomplish them is all just part of a life's work. Just because a person, or even a whole society, does something foolish is no reason to hate.

I hope you don't teach the kids that kind of hip-shooting
judgment.

If you don't like the price you pay for a privately made, union made product, or one that is too expensive for another reason, you are free to shop elsewhere. Regarding government schools, a consumer can choose to attend a private one, but people like you (and I don't mean just teachers) will always band together to have government point a gun at the consumer, in your names, to make him ALSO pay for the school that he sees as sub-standard, and which is educating kids not his own.

It may be a little hard for a government bureaucrat to see the essential difference between the public and private sectors, but please try; it's simply a matter of ethics.

#1362708 --- 09/06/12 05:06 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: PinkMom4]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Originally Posted By: PinkMom4
How about you move to a town that has no school taxes and that does not support the town..oh wait there is no place like that!!I suggest you GROW UP your not the only one that pays for the school so stop throwing your pity party how about getting a life and stop complaining about paying for uniforms...Spending 18 million on a field doesn't really make sense but its something you will have to live with..SO DEAL WITH IT!

I would suggest that if you want your kids to play sports that you dig into your own pockets for their/your needs.....schools are for learning, and just maybe if more time were spent on that then we wouldn't lag as far behind as much as we do, both in the US and with the rest of the world.....NY ranks 34th. nationwide(according to the NEA) but spends the most to get there and worldwide we rank 17th. as a nation(numbers from the DOE).....pretty sad when you look at what is spent to achieve those numbers, but hell you have a new field in SF!

#1362711 --- 09/06/12 06:32 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
RigaMortis Offline

If you were educated on this matter you would know they didn't spend 18 million on the field.

If you were educated you would have read my second post. Where I corrected myself. Don't post threads trying to be a big man in a small town over the internet. Your petty rouse isn't amusing to anyone but yourself.

#1362717 --- 09/06/12 07:46 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: SportsRef1]
Fart in the Wind Offline

Loc: beneath the Utica Shale
Quote:
NY ranks 34th. nationwide(according to the NEA) but spends the most to get there

#34th in what? Alphabetical order.
Start a new thread since this is starting to get off topic, although certainly related and I'll show how misleading your comments are. That is with facts and not media and political rhetoric.

Later, it is nap time at school.

#1362718 --- 09/06/12 08:20 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA

did they spend $18 million?

#1362719 --- 09/06/12 08:23 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: SportsRef1]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: SportsRef1
I would suggest that if you want your kids to play sports that you dig into your own pockets for their/your needs.....schools are for learning

correct
wonder how many parents of these students would step up to pay more for sports?

#1362722 --- 09/06/12 08:33 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Fart in the Wind]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Fart in the Wind
Quote:
NY ranks 34th. nationwide(according to the NEA) but spends the most to get there

#34th in what? Alphabetical order.

look at the NEA to find your answer

Originally Posted By: Fart in the Wind
Later, it is nap time at school.

no wonder NY is 34
good that you can post while 'teaching'

#1362733 --- 09/06/12 09:35 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

The private sector has done wonders

they pay for your overgenerous teachers salary, overgenerous pensions and overgenerous healthcare

good to see you voted for the dissolution...vote yes for the merger

As I have paid higher prices for benefits in the private sector.

tell us a product that you only had one choice of and you were forced to buy it at the price they demanded?

#1362735 --- 09/06/12 09:37 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: VM Smith]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
And as for VM, he is one of the few who I look for when I come to the forums.

correct

#1362736 --- 09/06/12 09:40 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
You specifically benefit by our county and state governments spending money to fight land in trust by the Natives....

Anybody who isn't part of government would immediately recognize the fact that the very practice of having "land in trust" is just one more discriminatory thing that was invented by, and is forced on, some of the people, by government. Divide and rule.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >