FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1362214 --- 09/02/12 05:46 PM 18 Million $$ for a football field!!
Dr Dick Offline

Loc: USA
That sure is a lot of cash for football at Mynderse. Plus all the other renovations around all the schools. Now we will hire more family and friends to take care of it. I know,I know,it wasn't REAL money. It was the reserve fund. Too bad you don't have to OWN property to vote. At least the "township" can pitch in.

FingerLakes1.com
#1362233 --- 09/02/12 07:32 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Dr Dick]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
Regardless of the criticism, the new field will be a good thing.

#1362239 --- 09/02/12 08:27 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Here's Johnny]
Ambient Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Welcome, Dr. Dick. You are so correct. It is a waste of money. If parents want their kids to play sports, let 'em pay for it. There is no....no educational benefit from high school sports as now configured. Let 'em spend $18 million on a math program or a mechanical engineering curriculum. High school sports support only the egos of ignorant parents and builds false esteem for their underachieving offspring. Show me an Indian (India) quarterback....a Pakistani running back.... The parents of those children send them to school to learn skills to make them successful.

#1362257 --- 09/02/12 10:11 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
Carerinoa Offline

Right, no educational benefit. Education isn't all about books but some of you will never understand that. It's a done deal ... pissing and moaning isn't going to change a thing at this point, so give it up.
I am a parent of a sports minded child and I am from from ignorant nor do I have an ego. I am not building false esteem and in no way is he an underachiever. He has learned may things from playing sports that books or classes can't teach. As far as I'm concerned your comment just shows you were one of those kids who was picked last for a team as a child. I'm sorry it has ruined your life. SMH

#1362269 --- 09/02/12 11:47 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Dr Dick]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
At least the "township" can pitch in.

What do you mean by that? If you mean the Town of SF, that's been in SFCSD for many years...maybe since the initial centralization of SF schools. So is the eastern half of Fayette, down to the south Townline Road. If you want to net the big bucks, the net's got to be big enough to catch a lot of victims.

#1362270 --- 09/02/12 11:56 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Here's Johnny]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny

It'll look even better from over here in Dryden, which is where I fetched up when I fled the SFCSD. School taxes 25% lower. In fact, since it's the "reserve fund", which you can pretend is money that materialized out of thin air, instead of having been previously stolen from the livestock, there's really no reason you shouldn't build two football fields. By the insane logic of the football education industry, keeping a field in reserve will obviously save the tax livestock from having to fund another one in a few years. In the logic of school boards, it would then be fitting for the victims to thank the board.

#1362271 --- 09/03/12 12:03 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Here's Johnny]
URPorcine Offline

Loc: URProcine
Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny

I love statements like this that people make yet do not back up. Care to explain yourself?

#1362287 --- 09/03/12 02:29 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: URPorcine]
Here's Johnny Offline

Sure thing. Sports programs provide invaluable experiences for those who participate. Now that public education has become such a mess organized sports activities and other extra curricular events are the last bastion for the instruction of such important concepts as: team work, goal setting, discipline, and learning how to accept criticism. Although it will be true that maybe few of those involved will go on to be professional athletes the experiences they have had will serve them well in any number of business and professional careers.
The artificial turf field will be able to be used constantly. No need to worry about the condition of the grass turf like when it's too rainy and it gets torn up. Also all the teams get to play their games on Bracht Field. No more arguments over who gets to play on the big field.

#1362288 --- 09/03/12 03:47 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Here's Johnny]
1moreagain Offline

Loc: corrupt seneca county
Didnt they just rebuild the field a few yearsago.Maybe they think a new field will help them win?

#1362290 --- 09/03/12 05:55 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: 1moreagain]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
Just a random thought,the field was rebuilt and looks pretty nice. Uh, now what will we do with it if a merger takes place.......

#1362295 --- 09/03/12 08:09 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
Fart in the Wind Offline

Loc: beneath the Utica Shale
Originally Posted By: Ambient

Show me an Indian (India) quarterback....a Pakistani running back.... The parents of those children send them to school to learn skills to make them successful.

Their football is soccer, they do not play American football. Those parents would be spending 18 M on cricket and field hockey fields. And they send their children to some of the best colleges in the world, the United States.

#1362303 --- 09/03/12 08:47 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Fart in the Wind]
Here's Johnny Offline

The Indians and Pakastanis embrace athletics as well. They work harder because they want to be here. They study more, are more rigorous in academic pursuits, and instill discipline...at home. All important distinctions.

Edited by Here's Johnny (09/03/12 08:49 AM)

#1362304 --- 09/03/12 08:53 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Fart in the Wind]
Ambient Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Okay, FIW: Show me an $18M high school soccer field....or cricket field for that matter. As for the skills learned....wouldn't it be better to put that sum of tax money into building better students.
"... team work, goal setting, discipline, and learning how to accept criticism" are the qualities students are supposed to be learning in the classroom. It's the type of instruction that should be available to all students, not just those who can catch a ball. Imagine the science lab that could be built with half that money or the quality of other educational services that could be provided for all students. No. The the school district is spending $18M on grass that doesn't grow and services that do nothing to advance education.

#1362315 --- 09/03/12 09:31 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
surelyhonest Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Look at the bigger picture ~ go around to the other school yards to see the work that took all summer to do and add those costs that into the mix - outrageous!!!!! Also, how many out of town workers were employed??

#1362318 --- 09/03/12 10:03 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: 1moreagain]
Hackley44 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Well we did just win our season opener 66-28 for the first time in how many years?! Lol ;p

#1362319 --- 09/03/12 10:05 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Hackley44]
Hackley44 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
For any one interested the opening ceremony is at 7:00 this Friday night. It should be a lot of fun AND free admission!!! Hahaha

#1362320 --- 09/03/12 10:20 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
Fart in the Wind Offline

Loc: beneath the Utica Shale
Originally Posted By: Ambient
Okay, FIW: Show me an $18M high school soccer field....or cricket field for that matter. As for the skills learned....wouldn't it be better to put that sum of tax money into building better students.

Using 18 M was an analogy not a fact.
I am guessing that the 18M at Mynderse also includes the track, upgrades to other facilities; probably more than just a football field. If you are frustrated with your taxes then say it. That could be a more valid point. Do not just hide behind hating sports and being in denial about the benefits of athletics for the kids in your community.
Where do you think some of those kids would be hanging out between 4 PM and 6 PM if they did not have sports? SFPD would need to hire more people for their department. Oops, excuse me while I duck!

Cricket: The sport religion of India
In the context of today, it can be said that Cricket has become synonymous with the identity of being an Indian sports enthusiast. Such is the charisma of the game in the nation and so badly are the people influenced with the aura of Cricket-stars that their glory and fan following can easily put some Bollywood stars to shame.

Although the national game of India is Hockey and the country has been a strong power in the game at world level for a long period, still over the period of time Hockey took the back seat and Cricket came to the forefront as far as popularity among the masses is concerned. The main reason behind this might be Indias strong presence in the arena of Cricket, and its gradually diminishing strength in world Hockey.

The Dhoni Effect
Then a young boy from the state of Jharkhand with rock star-like looks and college boys-like attitude entered the scenario. The boy named Mahendra Singh Dhoni, popularly known as Mahi among the young crowd soon became the icon of Indian Cricket. Under the leadership of this talented batsman and captain, Indian Cricket team managed to win the first Twenty20 Cricket World Cup, which gave the already game a yet another boost among the sports freaks of the nation.

The M.S. Dhoni led team has been said to be one of the most successful teams Indian Cricket had ever got, and has time and again proved its strength by winning many major international championships and trophies.

#1362328 --- 09/03/12 11:38 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Fart in the Wind]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Those parents would be spending 18 M on cricket and field hockey fields. And they send their children to some of the best colleges in the world, the United States.

I doubt that they spend $18 m on children's soccer fields. I don't even know if they view a school as a proper place for athletic fields. Maybe they think that athletics and learning are two very, and properly, separate things; they may make other arrangements for sports.

And with very few exceptions, probably involving athletic scholarships, I'll bet they don't come over here to our colleges so that they can play soccer...they have priorities, and know what school is really for. They may be both soccer and education nuts, but I doubt that they have anything like the NCAA, which is a business unrelated to education.

It's a slick scam that the pro athletics businesses run; they get the colleges and the parents to pay for college athletic programs, at least at the majority of schools that don't get the big TV bucks, and then use them for free farm teams.

And in the high schools, some parents advocate putting a gun to other people's heads to steal yet more money for the "education" budget so that their little darling can play some game. Beautiful.

#1362334 --- 09/03/12 12:44 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
PinkMom4 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, New York
you are way off sports teaches so much to kids it teaches them teamwork which incase you haven't noticed you will most likely need to know when you get a career...You must work by yourself or maybe you were just never good at sports and that is why your bashing it. It also teaches so much more and not to mention keeps kids in shape and out of trouble. Sports is just like a gym class, but outside of the gym..Studies have shown that a kid who is into sports is less likely to be doing drugs, smoking cigs and drinking alcohol..Also for those of you that don't know if you are not passing a class you can not play sports you are put on what is called a probation period and until you get your grades back up you can not play.

#1362338 --- 09/03/12 01:27 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Dr Dick]
Bob_Mascari Offline

Loc: The Cadilac Ranch
As a taxpayer in the SFSD (yeah I know it's a vacant lot), I am in favor of spending to improve the infrastructure of the school. In addition to the many benefits I associate with sports from personal experience, I also see an up-to-date school campus as a key to helping maintain property values.

When my wife and I bought our house on Onondaga Hill, our primary focus was an excellent school district that was big enough to offer many opportunities for our kids and small enough for them to take advantage of them. The fact that the school taxes were very high come in a distance second to the education of our children. And with our youngest now entering her senior year, I can confidently say that my attitude won't change after she graduates. When it comes time to sell my house, I want the advantage of a strong school district as a selling point.

Westhill and Mynderse are similar in size so I do see an apt comparison. I realize times are tough and money is tight, but there is no better investment for a community and the future than education -- and that includes sports.

JMHO.

Edited by Bob_Mascari (09/03/12 01:30 PM)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >