FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1367919 - 10/10/12 02:01 PM One Year in alleged molestation case
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Man sentenced to a year in county jail for sexually abusing child

PENN YAN — A former Dundee man’s plea to avoid jail time was rejected Tuesday by Yates County Judge W. Patrick Falvey.

Falvey sentenced Robert Wood to a year in the county jail following his conviction in May on two counts of endangering the welfare of a child. The charges stemmed from allegations that Wood sexually abused a pre-teen girl in Dundee for about two years.

In the jury trial, Wood was acquitted on two felony counts of sexual conduct against a child and one count of sexual abuse, a misdemeanor.

County Assistant District Attorney Megan Peter, who prosecuted the case, asked Falvey to give Wood the maximum sentence, which would have been two years in jail — one year for each of the endangering charges.

Wood, 64, was accused of engaging in sexual conduct with the girl starting in the fall of 2009, when she was 11. The alleged abuse lasted about two years.

Wood, who testified at his Trial… is being represented … by Rochester-area attorney John LaDuca. LaDuca called Wood a “family man” with no criminal history prior to his arrest. LaDuca suggested to Falvey that in misdemeanor cases where the defendant has a clean record, the sentence usually doesn’t include jail time.

LaDuca told Falvey. “I ask you to put aside emotions, and in this case deal with the facts and the evidence. He was acquitted of the felony charges in this case. There is absolutely nothing to indicate the crimes were of a sexual nature.”

A native of Hammondsport, Wood moved to Dundee in 1980 and is a well-known area carpenter and contractor, as well as a sports booster for Dundee-area teams. He moved back to Hammondsport shortly after his arrest. I

n a brief statement, Wood asked Falvey to consider a sentence other than jail time so he could keep working and providing for his family.

The girl’s mother began crying when Falvey sentenced Wood to jail time. Several supporters of Wood also left the courtroom in tears.

Falvey also signed a court order of protection, barring Wood from having any contact with the girl and her mother for eight years.

By MIKE HIBBARD Finger Lakes Times Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012

FingerLakes1.com
#1367952 - 10/10/12 03:28 PM Re: One Year in alleged molestation case [Re: newsman38]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Loc: PARTYING!
Hmm the news article says "Man sentenced to a year in county jail for sexually abusing child." but the article newsman posted clearly states the defendant was found "Wood was acquitted on two felony counts of sexual conduct against a child and one count of sexual abuse, a misdemeanor." He was however found guilty on two charges of endangering the welfare of a child, which is not charge specifically for sexual abuse of a child.

Usually the media will say allegedly sexually abusing a child until the person is found or pleads guilty. In this case the Chronicle Express blatantly says a man who was acquitted of sexually abusing a child sexually abused a child. This is absurd.

To top it off the Chronicle Express demands someone be a print subscriber, online subscriber, or pay $2 to read the article that says "Man sentenced to a year in county jail for sexually abusing child" only to find out the man is acquitted of the sexual abuse charges. Are they labeling someone a sexual offender after they've been acquitted sell the article with the false title?

I hope Wood sues the Chronicle Express!

#1367985 - 10/10/12 07:23 PM Re: One Year in alleged molestation case [Re: S.P. King 4th]
Max9101 Offline

Loc: Penn Yan NY
He is a scumbag and should of got more then a year in jail just shows again if u have money u can buy ur way out of stuff

#1368005 - 10/10/12 10:27 PM Re: One Year in alleged molestation case [Re: Max9101]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Originally Posted By: Max9101
He is a scumbag and should of got more then a year in jail just shows again if u have money u can buy ur way out of stuff

How do you buy a jury?

#1368151 - 10/11/12 07:42 PM Re: One Year in alleged molestation case [Re: newsman38]
dj205 Offline

Loc: in my mind
Originally Posted By: newsman38
Man sentenced to a year in county jail for sexually abusing child

PENN YAN — A former Dundee man’s plea to avoid jail time was rejected Tuesday by Yates County Judge W. Patrick Falvey.

Falvey sentenced Robert Wood to a year in the county jail following his conviction in May on two counts of endangering the welfare of a child. The charges stemmed from allegations that Wood sexually abused a pre-teen girl in Dundee for about two years.

In the jury trial, Wood was acquitted on two felony counts of sexual conduct against a child and one count of sexual abuse, a misdemeanor.

County Assistant District Attorney Megan Peter, who prosecuted the case, asked Falvey to give Wood the maximum sentence, which would have been two years in jail — one year for each of the endangering charges.

Wood, 64, was accused of engaging in sexual conduct with the girl starting in the fall of 2009, when she was 11. The alleged abuse lasted about two years.

Wood, who testified at his Trial… is being represented … by Rochester-area attorney John LaDuca. LaDuca called Wood a “family man” with no criminal history prior to his arrest. LaDuca suggested to Falvey that in misdemeanor cases where the defendant has a clean record, the sentence usually doesn’t include jail time.

LaDuca told Falvey. “I ask you to put aside emotions, and in this case deal with the facts and the evidence. He was acquitted of the felony charges in this case. There is absolutely nothing to indicate the crimes were of a sexual nature.”

A native of Hammondsport, Wood moved to Dundee in 1980 and is a well-known area carpenter and contractor, as well as a sports booster for Dundee-area teams. He moved back to Hammondsport shortly after his arrest. I

n a brief statement, Wood asked Falvey to consider a sentence other than jail time so he could keep working and providing for his family.

The girl’s mother began crying Gee, I wonder why? Cuz she wanted out of the marriage? Good job!! You ruined alot of people's lives! I hope you sleep well..

when Falvey sentenced Wood to jail time. Several supporters of Wood also left the courtroom in tears.

Falvey also signed a court order of protection, barring Wood from having any contact with the girl and her mother for eight years.

By MIKE HIBBARD Finger Lakes Times Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012

#1368657 - 10/15/12 10:22 PM Re: One Year in alleged molestation case [Re: dj205]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Wonder who paid the judge off. What if this innocent little girl
was his daughter?

PURE Bull Crap >>> Wood, 64, was accused of engaging in sexual conduct with the girl starting in the fall of 2009, when she was 11. The alleged abuse lasted about two years.
Should of been hung in the center of town.
Great family man my butt.

#1369681 - 10/22/12 01:34 PM Re: One Year in alleged molestation case [Re: I did it!]
S.P. King 4th Offline

Really? You think Falvey is going to bought to give someone a year instead of two years? The maximum punishment he was facing was 2 years in jail not being hung in the center of town.

How exactly was the Judge bought when he was acquitted by a jury of two felony counts of sexual abuse against a child and one misdemeanor for sexual abuse?

I'm still waiting to hear from Max9101 on how you can buy a jury.