FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#1430289 --- 12/22/13 08:47 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
Without knowing the total dollar amounts I am not in position to be happy or complain about it. If you are talking long term I believe the Village will benefit down the road from that site being developed. Maybe we will be surprised and it will be in the long term best interest of the Village. I will give you an example of not realizing long term benefits.

Many years ago I was ordained to negotiate with the Village in attempting to annex all of Old Pines Trail property that was on the lake into the Village. At the time us residents thought it was the long term solution to replace our ageing water line. Every time there was a break in it we took up a collection and paid someone to fix it.

We did a petition to the Village board. The cost estimate of a new water line at that time was 225K. That was if it was replaced right then, which it didn't need to be. We told the Village it appeared there was a minimum of 35K in property taxes to be realized by the village per year if they annexed all the OPT lake property into the Village.

They shot us down, a Village trustee, who shall remain nameless told me: "the Village isn't going to be stuck with a 225K bill to put a new water line in". They wanted everything from Armstrong glass to Old Pines Trail annexed or they wouldn't consider it. I told him that Ritchie blvd had a new water line and they would not be interested in being in the Village as they wouldn't want another tax.

I told this trustee to do the math, the 35K was per year and it was only going to go up as property values increased. (can you say seven year payback!) He was too short sighted to see the long term benefit to the Village. I thank God that they were short sighted. A couple of years later Old Pines Trail became part of a new water district that was formed. Our problem was solved at a much cheaper annual cost than if we became part of the Village and started paying Village taxes annually.

Things are not always as they seem to be. smile

FingerLakes1.com
#1430350 --- 12/23/13 04:00 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
helpme Offline

Loc: dresden
Originally Posted By: helpme
The VB has agreed to buy the County's toxic boat company swamp and all and then give away 10 years of Pilot tax revenues and occupancy taxes from the 2 new hotel to the lake street development, plus $1,000,000 from a loan that the VB is taken on to pay for this great mistake which THE MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT WILL put in its budget AND PASS IT ON TO IT'S USERS, great deal for the county and developer.
The village hasn't purchased the boat company yet but they and the Yates county legislature have behind closed doors and in executive session in violation of the open meeting laws have approved the sale. The village board at its December 17 meeting adopted two resolutions No. 92-2013 INTER-MUNICIPAL-Agreement and No. 91-2913 IMC OCCUPANCY TAX REVENUE both resolutions though not stated in writing only take effect if the village buys the old toxic boat company. These resolutions were adopted in violation of proper procedures and NY state village and county laws. I can see a lawsuit for the New Year if the village doesn't rescind the 2 illegal resoultions.

#1430377 --- 12/23/13 05:32 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
Mean Gene Offline

They can discuss "legal issues" in executive session. Any motion has to be done in open session. That is how they avoid alot of discussion in public. They hash out the details out of the public view and that cuts down or eliminates public discussion by the officials.
I remember Tim Dennis was always good about bringing up the fact when things discussed in executive session should be in open session. I doubt he would knowingly do that.

#1430379 --- 12/23/13 05:43 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Mean Gene]
Believer4 Offline

Loc: New York State
By JIM MILLER jmiller@fltimes.com | Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:40 am

PENN YAN — The Village Board is back up to a full complement of trustees.

Mayor Bob Church appointed Carolyn Benedict Tuesday to fill the vacancy created when Mike Christensen resigned last month to become Milo’s town justice.

Benedict, who was appointed at the start of the board meeting, took her seat immediately and will serve until Christensen’s term expires in March. Then, she’ll have to run for the office.

“She contacted me and showed interest,” Church said. “She plans to run in March.”

Benedict currently works for Genesee BOCES, and she previously served as the Penn Yan school district’s business official.

In other business Tuesday, the board:

• AGREEMENTS: Approved two inter-municipal agreements with Yates County. The county will share some of its occupancy tax revenue with the village and help the village offset the costs of two anticipated payment-in-lieu-of-taxes agreements related to hotel projects.

The Legislature approved both agreements earlier this month as a way of helping the village handle the costs associated with the new hotels.

Church said the village has long sought such agreements.

“As you know, it’s been a thing with me that the village does provide a lot of services and does not get much back in return,” Church said.

He thanked Christensen, Trustee David Reeve and county officials for their efforts in the negotiations.

Church said the deal was key to allowing future development to go forward.

“This is a very huge deal for the village and will also bring added sales tax revenue to the county,” he said.

Taylor Fitch, the Legislature’s chairman, joined Church in signing the agreements after the Village Board’s unanimous votes.

“I can feel confident that a healthy village of Penn Yan, a healthy county seat, benefits the entire county,” said Legislature Tim Dennis, who chairs the county’s Finance Committee.

• TAX CAP: Scheduled a public hearing for 6 p.m. Jan. 21 on a local law to override the state’s tax cap for 2014.

The law would not require the village to exceed the cap but simply give it the option.

• JUSTICE: Approved the appointment of David Grace as acting village justice through March 31. He will fill out the remaining term of Acting Justice John Symonds, who resigned earlier this month

#1430380 --- 12/23/13 05:59 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Believer4]
helpme Offline

Originally Posted By: Believer4
By JIM MILLER jmiller@fltimes.com | Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:40 am

Mayor Bob Church appointed Carolyn Benedict Tuesday to fill the vacancy created when Mike Christensen resigned last month to become Milo’s town justice.

Benedict, who was appointed at the start of the board meeting, took her seat immediately and will serve until Christensen’s term expires in March. Then, she’ll have to run for the office.

“She contacted me and showed interest,” Church said. “She plans to run in March.”

Benedict currently works for Genesee BOCES, and she previously served as the Penn Yan school district’s business official.

• AGREEMENTS: Approved two inter-municipal agreements with Yates County. The county will share some of its occupancy tax revenue with the village and help the village offset the costs of two anticipated payment-in-lieu-of-taxes agreements related to hotel projects.

The Legislature approved both agreements earlier this month as a way of helping the village handle the costs associated with the new hotels.

“As you know, it’s been a thing with me that the village does provide a lot of services and does not get much back in return,” Church said.

He thanked Christensen, Trustee David Reeve and county officials for their efforts in the negotiations.

“This is a very huge deal for the village and will also bring added sales tax revenue to the county,” he said.

Taylor Fitch, the Legislature’s chairman, joined Church in signing the agreements after the Village Board’s unanimous votes.

“I can feel confident that a healthy village of Penn Yan, a healthy county seat, benefits the entire county,” said Legislature Tim Dennis, who chairs the county’s Finance Committee.

• TAX CAP: Scheduled a public hearing for 6 p.m. Jan. 21 on a local law to override the state’s tax cap for 2014.

The law would not require the village to exceed the cap but simply give it the option.

• JUSTICE: Approved the appointment of David Grace as acting village justice through March 31. He will fill out the remaining term of Acting Justice John Symonds, who resigned earlier this month
They sat there and told the people half the story which in this case is worse than a lie, why didn't Church announce that the village is buying the boat company from the county?

#1430382 --- 12/23/13 06:39 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
Enigma3 Offline

Loc: Yates county
It never ceases to amaze me how much wrong information floats around on this board. Just amazing.

1. The PY boats site has been cleaned up. The county paid for much of it with grant money. NY State oversaw the cleanup. The state would never let the county sell that site without a full cleanup.
2. The county has no interest in selling it to the village. That makes no sense at all. They will sell it to a developer who comes up with a viable plan and the money to back it up.
3. The long range plan has always been to develop the outlet from Liberty street to Red Jacket park. The sticky wickets in this plan have always been where to move Carey's and Roto Salt, and getting control of the firemen's field.
4. There will never be a better time for the village to negotiate sales tax sharing than with the upcoming sale of the PY Boats site and gaining rights to the firemen's field. Sharing room tax to offset a PILOT is no more than throwing the village a bone. If the county is serious about developing the outlet with the village, they will see the wisdom of sharing sales tax in exchange for aquiring the rights to develop the firemen's field. It is in everyone's best interest. If I were mayor, no way would I bring utilities to the PY Boats site without a sales tax sharing agreement.

#1430386 --- 12/23/13 07:32 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Enigma3]
helpme Offline

Originally Posted By: Enigma3
It never ceases to amaze me how much wrong information floats around on this board. Just amazing.

1. The PY boats site has been cleaned up. The county paid for much of it with grant money. NY State oversaw the cleanup. The state would never let the county sell that site without a full cleanup.
2. The county has no interest in selling it to the village. That makes no sense at all. They will sell it to a developer who comes up with a viable plan and the money to back it up.
3. The long range plan has always been to develop the outlet from Liberty street to Red Jacket park. The sticky wickets in this plan have always been where to move Carey's and Roto Salt, and getting control of the firemen's field.
4. There will never be a better time for the village to negotiate sales tax sharing than with the upcoming sale of the PY Boats site and gaining rights to the firemen's field. Sharing room tax to offset a PILOT is no more than throwing the village a bone. If the county is serious about developing the outlet with the village, they will see the wisdom of sharing sales tax in exchange for aquiring the rights to develop the firemen's field. It is in everyone's best interest. If I were mayor, no way would I bring utilities to the PY Boats site without a sales tax sharing agreement.
You don't what u are talking about the sale has been agreed to by both the county and VB.

#1430410 --- 12/24/13 12:32 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
helpme Offline

You don't what u are talking about the sale has been agreed to by both the county and VB.
Transparency that's what Mayor Church claimed his administration would have if the citizens of Penn Yan elected him Mayor, that turn out to be a joke now that he has shown his true colors and sold out the citizens of Penn Yan. His term will run out in several months so he figures he could continue to put the screws to us by appointing a hand picked crony and introducing his clone for Mayor. Every dollar he claims that the village is now receiving from the county in this great deal has strings attached to them, they are already committed to go to benefit private individuals at the expense of the Village taxpayers. There're 4 trustee seats and the Mayor position up for election this coming year, isn't time that we elected a village board that serves ALL the people of Penn Yan?

Edited by helpme (12/24/13 12:32 PM)

#1430431 --- 12/24/13 07:47 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
TheKing Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
where do you get this info?

#1430432 --- 12/24/13 07:48 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
TheKing Offline

got your petitions out there yet?

#1430457 --- 12/25/13 12:34 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: TheKing]
helpme Offline

Originally Posted By: TheKing
where do you get this info?
Resolution No. 92-2013 passed by the village board December 17, 2013, the PILOT AGREEMENT for the two new hotels is that the county will now pay the developer's village taxes for the next 10 years. I wonder where the county gets their money from? BUT the county makes the village take the revenue from "ELM STREET Microtel HOTEL PILOT AGREEMENT and the LAKEFRONT HAMPTON HOTEL PILOT AGREEMENT and use it for improvements to roads, recreation area[s], sidewalks and the Keuka lake outlet trail, and the financing thereof, IN A AREA west of Lake street and east of the Keuka Lake outlet and KEUKA LAKE [the Infrastructure Project] AND the village covenants that it is aware of the laws governing the USE OF PAYMENTS provided under this agreement, and the village agrees to use the payments disbursed pursuant to this agreement only in the manner so allowed. The Village Board at the October board meeting vote to take out a $2,000,000 half grant half loan for this Lake street project and then have the village residents pay it back by charging us higher water, sewer, electric rates, that information came from a village trustee, and this came from 2 board members, it was part of the UNWRITTEN AGREMENT that the village will buy the toxic boat company and that the developer has back-out of the plans he proposed to the county and village. To me it looks like the LAKEFRONT HAMPTON INN PROJECT investors have a lot of pull.

#1430534 --- 12/27/13 11:55 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Enigma3]
helpme Offline

The PY boat site is not cleaned of toxics yet that is why every developer has back out, Fitch now has admitted that the village will buy the mess as soon as County attorney writes up the sale.

#1430556 --- 12/27/13 04:38 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
Mean Gene Offline

I guess that will come out publicly when they can release it. If it is still under discussion as to how they are going to proceed they can keep it in executive session. It would fall under the "legal" exemption. As much as everyone would like them to be as transparent as they can, I guess we will have to wait till they release all the details.

#1430576 --- 12/27/13 08:08 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
Honestly Offline

Loc: Penn Yan

The PY boat site is not cleaned of toxics yet that is why every developer has back out, Fitch now has admitted that the village will buy the mess as soon as County attorney writes up the sale.
It is about time for people to read the fine print with respect to any agreement between the County (Yates) and the Village of Penn Yan with respect to the development of that area. It's there, just do the research.

#1430598 --- 12/28/13 10:07 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Believer4]
helpme Offline

Read the fine print in the agreements and you will see that the Mayor has sold the village taxpayers out, all property taxes the county will be paying the village for the 2 new hotels for 10 years and the occupancy taxes from the 2 new hotel $7,000 a year for the next 10 years and a $1,000,000 loan that will be paid back by village residents in the form of higher electric, sewer and water rates must be spent on the Hampton hotel and surrounding area. The county will not be sharing any sales taxes with the village and the village will be stuck with paying all the infrastructure cost related to this one hotel, who are the investors? This great deal for the county was shoved ahead before the new year so Fitch and Church could push it thru while their cronies were in line and before they both leave their positions, Fitch as chair of the county legislators and Church as Mayor of the village. Here's the big sell out the village will buy the still toxic boat company from the county for $1, and hold a note for the developer who claims he no longer is interested in his original plans of developing the site, but he might try one townhouse at a time and if that don't go then he goes. Because the county didn't follow the procedures the developers wanted them to in cleaning up the site all those who were interested in investing millions into the site have dropped out, so the county found someone foolish enough to take this nightmare off their hands, that person is our Mayor Bob Church.

Edited by helpme (12/28/13 10:10 AM)

#1430619 --- 12/28/13 05:23 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
TheKing Offline

Where is this fine print. Nowhere does the news article state that there limitations as to how the monies are spent, only that it will offset some of the costs of infrastructure to complete the projects. Also nowhere does it state that the Village is buying any property from the County, so where do you come up with this stuff?

#1430656 --- 12/29/13 09:16 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: TheKing]
helpme Offline

Originally Posted By: TheKing
Where is this fine print. Nowhere does the news article state that there limitations as to how the monies are spent, only that it will offset some of the costs of infrastructure to complete the projects. Also nowhere does it state that the Village is buying any property from the County, so where do you come up with this stuff?
The fine print is in resolution 92-2013, only half the story was told to the Chronicle Express which as we all know is sometimes worst than a lie. They fooled the local paper and you but now the truth will come out because I took the time to read the resolution and expose this latest bad agreement.

Edited by helpme (12/29/13 10:10 AM)

#1430783 --- 12/30/13 07:38 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
helpme Offline

Read the fine print in the agreements and you will see that the Mayor has sold the village taxpayers out, all property taxes the county will be paying the village for the 2 new hotels for 10 years and the occupancy taxes from the 2 new hotel $7,000 a year for the next 10 years and a $1,000,000 loan that will be paid back by village residents in the form of higher electric, sewer and water rates must be spent on the Hampton hotel and surrounding area. The county will not be sharing any sales taxes with the village and the village will be stuck with paying all the infrastructure cost related to this one hotel, who are the investors? This great deal for the county was shoved ahead before the new year so Fitch and Church could push it thru while their cronies were in line and before they both leave their positions, Fitch as chair of the county legislators and Church as Mayor of the village. Here's the big sell out the village will buy the still toxic boat company from the county for $1, and hold a note for the developer who claims he no longer is interested in his original plans of developing the site, but he might try one townhouse at a time and if that don't go then he goes. Because the county didn't follow the procedures the developers wanted them to in cleaning up the site all those who were interested in investing millions into the site have dropped out, so the county found someone foolish enough to take this nightmare off their hands, that person is our Mayor Bob Church.
One correction the occupancy tax from the 2 new hotels will be closer to $15,000 a year but this must also be spent at the lake street hotel area by agreement for 10 years.

Edited by helpme (12/30/13 07:40 PM)

#1430790 --- 12/30/13 08:33 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
YCite Offline

Loc: FL
This thread is humorous. Why does everyone have to be cynical? Both of these projects are great for Penn Yan in the long term. I think any inter-municipal agreement is great when it leads to this kind of investment.

#1430795 --- 12/30/13 08:56 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: YCite]
Honestly Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
Originally Posted By: YCite
This thread is humorous. Why does everyone have to be cynical? Both of these projects are great for Penn Yan in the long term. I think any inter-municipal agreement is great when it leads to this kind of investment.
Question again is this, is it good for the tax payers? That's the bottom line.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >