FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1367822 - 10/09/12 05:12 PM Mayor sells out?
j3668py Offline

Loc: new york
Behind closed doors Penn Yan Mayor Church has assured Yates county that the village will help them sell the toxic waste site they own, the village will sell the firemen's field and provide the infrastructure that will be needed so the county can sell the old Penn Yan boat company. This idiotic move by the village will sharply increase property taxes, water and sewer rates and electric rates and most likely require a increase in local sales tax. The Mayor claims we no longer need the firemen's field, the men have a custom made bar at the fire house and it's safer if a fire call comes in, they won't have to drive from the other side of town because they already will be at the fire house. When asked about those on a fixed income who will be forced to sell their homes because they won't be able to afford to pay the new taxes he replied, we have a few real estate salesmen on the board who will be glad to assist those who must sell their homes and find apartments.

Edited by j3668py (10/09/12 05:23 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1367835 - 10/09/12 08:20 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
FLDukes Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Is the Penn Yan marine site not in the Village ... won't they benefit from the eventual property tax from those homes? 30-50 homes on the water (so I would assume they would sell for a lot). I'm actually surprised the village was willing to part with fireman's field. either way ... the infrastructure costs have to be pretty contained and I doubt taxes would go up ... probably why the mayor made what seems like a tongue and cheek comment.

#1367845 - 10/09/12 10:04 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
TheKing Offline

hogwash!

#1367852 - 10/09/12 10:53 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
Bow Wow Offline

Loc: Dirt Pile
Originally Posted By: j3668py

1. the toxic waste site
2. sharply increase property taxes
3. water and sewer rates and electric rates and most likely require a
4. increase in local sales tax.

Q 1: Has the toxic waste been removed? If not, who will pay for the removal?
Q 2: How will this increase taxes. It sounds like this will increase revenue, and lower the tax rate.
Q3: How will more people living in the village raise the utility RATES? I don't get it.
Q4: We all know the County controls the sales tax. How will having more people living in the village create a need for a higher sales tax?

What am I missing?

#1367870 - 10/10/12 08:01 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Bow Wow]
FLDukes Offline

Originally Posted By: Bow Wow

1. the toxic waste site
2. sharply increase property taxes
3. water and sewer rates and electric rates and most likely require a
4. increase in local sales tax.

Q 1: Has the toxic waste been removed? If not, who will pay for the removal?
Q 2: How will this increase taxes. It sounds like this will increase revenue, and lower the tax rate.
Q3: How will more people living in the village raise the utility RATES? I don't get it.
Q4: We all know the County controls the sales tax. How will having more people living in the village create a need for a higher sales tax?

What am I missing?

From what I've read and what I know of basic tax structures ... you would think the additional 30-50 houses (regardless of what they sell for) will bring in a lot of property tax revenue for the village ... especially long-term. I imagine that would easily off-set the cost of infrastructure.

If anything these "higher end" homes in a lake front community would draw in people that would also spend more money in and around Penn Yan ... so I imagine the county would benefit from sales tax increases there as well ... not to mention the money these people would spend in the community to boost the local economy as well? I think this development is a no brainer ... that property has some value if done right.

Edited by FLDukes (10/10/12 08:03 AM)

#1367878 - 10/10/12 09:01 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Bow Wow]
TheKing Offline

Q1 NYSEG pays for cleanup
Q2 correct
Q3 Municipal electric low rates are based on hydropower,and supplemented with other types. The other types are more expensive and will make up a larger part of the supply to the village
Q4Yeah, I don't see where that will change. The village should get a portion of sales tax dollars. Thats where most of the sales tax is produced.

#1367971 - 10/10/12 05:08 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: TheKing]
j3668py Offline

Originally Posted By: TheKing
Q1 NYSEG pays for cleanup
Q2 correct
Q3 Municipal electric low rates are based on hydropower,and supplemented with other types. The other types are more expensive and will make up a larger part of the supply to the village
Q4Yeah, I don't see where that will change. The village should get a portion of sales tax dollars. That's where most of the sales tax is produced.
Hogwash the village will never benefit from this scam, it's all about the county unloading a piece of junk property that will never be developed as stated. The developer has other plans such as just building a hotel that will be financed by some of the good ole boys, it's almost the same story that was told 10 years ago by the village board and conifer reality owners of the welfare apartments by the American legion. Conifer claim if the village provide all the infrastructure they would build low income apartments plus 48 single family homes that would bring mucho revenue to the village, 10 year later no revenue no homes just a lot of trouble and bed bugs. Let the county provide the infrastructure if it's such a good deal, the village doesn't need to support this scam with village taxpayer's funds.

#1367978 - 10/10/12 05:40 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
TheKing Offline

to start with, my post is in the wrong place, I was commenting on the Water St project. My error. As for the PY Marine site, The village will derive an increased tax base for property tax and again the County should share some sales tax with the Village. Of course they have there own budget problems, so probably won't happen. Infrastucture costs should be shared at the very least.

#1369383 - 10/19/12 07:55 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: TheKing]
father Offline

Loc: NY
So who is the high bidder this time?

#1386348 - 02/06/13 08:06 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
j3668py Offline

Behind closed doors Penn Yan Mayor Church has assured Yates county that the village will help them sell the toxic waste site they own, the village will sell the firemen's field and provide the infrastructure that will be needed so the county can sell the old Penn Yan boat company. This idiotic move by the village will sharply increase property taxes, water and sewer rates and electric rates and most likely require a increase in local sales tax. The Mayor claims we no longer need the firemen's field, the men have a custom made bar at the fire house and it's safer if a fire call comes in, they won't have to drive from the other side of town because they already will be at the fire house. When asked about those on a fixed income who will be forced to sell their homes because they won't be able to afford to pay the new taxes he replied, we have a few real estate salesmen on the board who will be glad to assist those who must sell their homes and find apartments.
Trustee wants to tie sales tax to development, this weeks local paper quotes trustee Mike Christensen claiming just what I predicted months ago that the Mayor is eager to sell the village taxpayers out. About time someone has the best interest of the village taxpayers ahead of the good ole boys, thanks Mike.

#1386375 - 02/07/13 12:35 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
"J" I went on line and read the Chronicle article, doesn't look like anyone has sold out-yet. The Mayor made it very clear they were just meeting a filing deadline for the no intrest-low intrest loan. He said it doesn't mean they have to actually apply for it if they are approved to go ahead with it.

I do agree with MC that the time is now to get a commitment from Yates County to share sales tax revenue. There is no way the Village residents should be footing over a one million dollar infrastructure improvement so the PY boats site can be developed. Especially if there is going to be lodging, retail or anything that generates revenue for the County that the Village will not benefit from. Residential property expansion does not help the tax base nearly as much as commercial development.

The County and Village should be bending over backwards to get more commerical development going in Yates County.

As it stands now the County will reap all the benefits and the Village residents will be carrying the load!

#1386392 - 02/07/13 08:36 AM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Mean Gene]
j3668py Offline

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
"J" I went on line and read the Chronicle article, doesn't look like anyone has sold out-yet. The Mayor made it very clear they were just meeting a filing deadline for the no intrest-low intrest loan. He said it doesn't mean they have to actually apply for it if they are approved to go ahead with it.

I do agree with MC that the time is now to get a commitment from Yates County to share sales tax revenue. There is no way the Village residents should be footing over a one million dollar infrastructure improvement so the PY boats site can be developed. Especially if there is going to be lodging, retail or anything that generates revenue for the County that the Village will not benefit from. Residential property expansion does not help the tax base nearly as much as commercial development.

The County and Village should be bending over backwards to get more commerical development going in Yates County.

As it stands now the County will reap all the benefits and the Village residents will be carrying the load!

Yet,

#1386530 - 02/08/13 01:31 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Mean Gene]
j3668py Offline

The mayor should have told the county to come up with a offer before the VB voted to agree to meet the deadline, the county will never offer the village any sales tax and the mayor knows this.

#1430159 - 12/21/13 01:15 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
helpme Offline

Loc: dresden

Yet,
Well thinks to the Mayor and trustee Christensen the village will have to borrow $2,000,000 for the county to strike a deal to sell the old boat company, Christensen who was appointed to the town of Milo's justice seat with the help of Supervisor \ Legislature Church for his cooperation in helping the county unloaded the old toxic boat company site at the expense of the village property owners. MG you were right MM doesn't do anything unless he personally benefits from it, Now he is the JUDGE and has the power he has always craved for. The occupancy taxes that the county will now turn over to the village as most counties already do now in NY will only amount to $15,000 a year, and every village property owner and resident will be paying more taxes and higher water, sewage and electric rates. Let's see the county gets rid of it's nightmare, the developer and fiends get a $2,000,000 gift from the village tax payers and they get shafted.

Edited by helpme (12/21/13 01:17 PM)

#1430161 - 12/21/13 02:16 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
Mean Gene Offline

I hope you are not right. The county also agreed to reimburse the village the tax they would receive every year on any pilot they grant to the developer. That will be in addition to the 15K in occupancy tax monies. I am guessing that payment will be big bucks compared to the 15K.

I don't like the fact the village has to invest in the infrastructure either. The County should kick in a percentage of their sales tax revenue also. I'm hoping they agreed to revist that issue at a later date. It is my understanding that the "toxic" site has been remediated. I would think that the new owner will be responsible for anything further. I really don't know if problems are discovered after the new owner takes over that they could go after the County or Village. smile

#1430162 - 12/21/13 02:21 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: j3668py]
Mean Gene Offline

As far as the Milo JP position, the new JP only has the power to handle what is brought before his court. I can't help but think he has his eye on the Village JP position when Justice Hibbard retires. Either running for the Village position or planning to take over Village court if the Village decides to eliminate it.

Last I knew the Village position paid a lot more than the T/Milo one.

Time will tell.

#1430165 - 12/21/13 02:59 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Mean Gene]
helpme Offline

That pilot reimbursement money according to the agreement of resolution No. 92-2013 must be spent on improvements to roads sidewalks and the outlet trail in the recreation area west of lake street and east of the Keuka lake outlet and Keuka lake, otherwise the old boat company area. The county is telling the village where they must spent their own money, Best Western pays the county around $40,000 a year in occupancy taxes the Village would receive from the other two hotels maybe $30,000 before they must pay half to the chamber as stated by the resolution.. Bad deal, what were they thinking?

#1430167 - 12/21/13 03:45 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
Mean Gene Offline

I have no idea what went on during the negotiations, doesn't look like a sweetheart deal for the Village.
The Village realizes the economic benefit of more people staying in the area spending money & the tax base. The county gets the tax base (after the pilot expires) & sales tax revenue without the headaches of servicing the area.

At least something is moving forward. Where I live in Florida the City/County went in together and bought Warm Mineral Springs, a large economic driver for the city of North Port. Later, new people were elected to the city council and they got in a pissing match with the county on how they were moving forward. As a result the Springs is shut down. It's been shut down since june and people are screaming about the idiocy of how this transpired.

#1430263 - 12/22/13 03:11 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: Mean Gene]
helpme Offline

The VB has agreed to buy the County's toxic boat company swamp and all and then give away 10 years of Pilot tax revenues and occupancy taxes from the 2 new hotel to the lake street development, plus $1,000,000 from a loan that the VB is taken on to pay for this great mistake which THE MUNICPAL DEPARTMENT WILL put in its budget AND PASS IT ON TO IT'S USERS, great deal for the county and developer.

Edited by helpme (12/22/13 07:56 PM)

#1430283 - 12/22/13 09:25 PM Re: Mayor sells out? [Re: helpme]
helpme Offline

Originally Posted By: helpme
The VB has agreed to buy the County's toxic boat company swamp and all and then give away 10 years of Pilot tax revenues and occupancy taxes from the 2 new hotel to the lake street development, plus $1,000,000 from a loan that the VB is taken on to pay for this great mistake which THE MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT WILL put in its budget AND PASS IT ON TO IT'S USERS, great deal for the county and developer.
How come there wasn't a public hearing on this land purchase, and why didn't the local paper report this great transaction when it ran a story on this great deal on December 11?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >