Topic Options
#1366989 - 10/02/12 08:35 PM Millionaires' Entitlements
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
A Republican I can agree with! US Senator Tom Coburn-

Almost 2,400 Millionaires Pocketed Unemployment Benefits
By Frank Bass - Oct 2, 2012 10:00 AM
Almost 2,400 people who received unemployment insurance in 2009 lived in households with annual incomes of $1 million or more, according to the Congressional Research Service.
The report was released after about 1.1 million people exhausted their jobless benefits during the second quarter of 2012, when more than 4.6 million filed initial unemployment claims. Eliminating those payments to high earners is one idea being considered as U.S. lawmakers struggle to curb a projected $1.1 trillion deficit for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, with the nationwide jobless rate at 8.1 percent.

“Sending millionaires unemployment checks is a case study in out-of-control spending,” U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, an Oklahoma Republican, said in an e-mail. “Providing welfare to the wealthy undermines the program for those who need it most while burdening future generations with senseless debt.”
The 2,362 people in millionaire homes represent 0.02 percent of the 11.3 million U.S. tax filers who reported unemployment insurance income in 2009, according to the August report. Another 954,000 households earning more than $100,000 during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression also reported receiving unemployment benefits.
The reported benefits may include those received by spouses or dependents of people who made high incomes, or benefits received earlier in the year before a household member got a high-paying job.
Eliminating the federal share of unemployment benefits for millionaires would save $20 million in the next decade, the congressional researchers said in their report.
Prohibiting Benefits
Congress has expanded unemployment benefits that had been paid for by states and lasted 26 weeks. The federal money lengthened the maximum period to 99 weeks, though the researchers said in practice no state currently offers more than 79 weeks.
Coburn introduced legislation in February 2011 to prohibit federally funded unemployment benefits for people who had at least $1 million in assets in the year before they filed a claim. The Senate voted unanimously for his measure, the Ending Unemployment Payments to Jobless Millionaires Act of 2011. It was later added to another bill, which hasn’t passed the Senate.
Coburn found that 18 households reporting an adjusted gross income that exceeded $10 million received an average unemployment benefit of $12,333 in 2009. The average benefit for 74 households earning between $5 million and $10 million was $18,351. The average household making $1 million or more received $11,113, or about 37 weeks of unemployment benefits.
Payroll Taxes
Unemployment benefits, which averaged about $300 per week in 2011, are paid out of accounts funded by payroll taxes and administered by states. Like Social Security and Medicare, the federal health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, unemployment insurance has no income limits.
The Internal Revenue Service reported that 2,840 millionaire households, or 0.03 percent of tax filers, received unemployment benefits in 2008. Another 816,700 beneficiaries earned between $100,000 and $1 million in 2008, the report said.
The House of Representatives last December passed a bill that would have taxed jobless benefits at 100 percent for single filers with an income of $1 million or married filers earning more than $2 million. The provision, part of a jobs bill written by Michigan Representative Dave Camp, a Republican who leads the House Ways and Means Committee, was dropped before the legislation was sent to President Barack Obama for his signature.

Edited by twocats (10/02/12 08:38 PM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1367027 - 10/03/12 08:59 AM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: twocats]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/romney-garbage-man-ad-video-132521031--election.html

A labor union that supports President Barack Obama's re-election campaign has released an attack ad that features a sanitation worker collecting trash outside Mitt Romney's multimillion-dollar California mansion.

"My name is Richard Hayes, and I pick up Mitt Romney's trash," the man says to the camera in the 60-second Web ad. "We're kind of like the invisible people, you know. He doesn't realize, you know, that the service we provide, you know, if it wasn't for us, you know, it would be a big health issue, us not picking up trash."

"Picking up 15, 16 tons by hand, you know that takes a toll on your body," Hayes continued. "When I'm 55, 60 years old, I know my body's going to be break down. Mitt Romney doesn't care about that."

The head of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, which produced the spot, says it's a direct response to the Republican presidential nominee's controversial "47 percent" comments that have dogged him of late.

#1367052 - 10/03/12 12:00 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: kyle585]
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
So it's Romney's fault, and not Obama's lackluster economy which is keeping him from getting a different job?

Maybe if enough of the 47%'ers switch sides we can get the economy ticking again...

#1367053 - 10/03/12 12:06 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: Rascal]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Rascal
So it's Romney's fault, and not Obama's lackluster economy which is keeping him from getting a different job?

Maybe if enough of the 47%'ers switch sides we can get the economy ticking again...
I don't know that he is looking for a different job. Not everyone has the intellectual capacity to handle a different job than this one. It sounds to me that he would be content to do this job as long as he is physically able and then to retire with a modest pension. But the Romney/Ryan approach has zero sympathy for people like this and they don't care if these people are homeless and hungry in their elder years.

#1367055 - 10/03/12 12:12 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: kyle585]
Cuzi Sedso Offline

Loc: NY
The concern of Mr. Hayes is not unique, but it seems that neither party seems to comprehend his plight when offering "fixes" for social security and medicare. Millions of hard working Americans have jobs that are physically demanding even for a young person, but as one reaches their 40s and 50s, those jobs become even more stressful on an aging body. By 60, many are in constant pain. But one common social security "fix" offered by both liberals and conservatives is to raise the minimum age to receive full social security benefits. That may be okay for those whose heaviest lifting involves some paper or a coffee cup, but imagine trying to do Richard Hayes job at age 67 or 70. Or that of a roofer, a carpenter, brick layer, tree trimmer, etc.

#1367075 - 10/03/12 01:13 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: twocats]
Zealot Offline

Loc: Yates
Another change they should consider is making food stamp qualification based on total net worth and instead of just income. In our current system someone with zero or low earned income can still qulaify for food stamps even if they have millions in the bank/brokerage house.

#1367104 - 10/03/12 02:42 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: kyle585]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood
Originally Posted By: kyle585
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/romney-garbage-man-ad-video-132521031--election.html

"My name is Richard Hayes, and I pick up Mitt Romney's trash," the man says to the camera in the 60-second Web ad. "We're kind of like the invisible people, you know. He doesn't realize, you know, that the service we provide, you know, if it wasn't for us, you know, it would be a big health issue, us not picking up trash."

"Picking up 15, 16 tons by hand, you know that takes a toll on your body," Hayes continued. "When I'm 55, 60 years old, I know my body's going to be break down. Mitt Romney doesn't care about that."

From what I understand, sanitation workers (in Ithaca, anyway), make pretty good money and have fabulous benefits. They make more than I do, and I have an associate degree.

#1367106 - 10/03/12 03:04 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: Kitty]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: Kitty

From what I understand, sanitation workers (in Ithaca, anyway), make pretty good money and have fabulous benefits. They make more than I do, and I have an associate degree.

A very stupid ad. Obviously one that only the sheeple will believe.

Edited by cwjga (10/03/12 03:05 PM)

#1367107 - 10/03/12 03:10 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: Kitty]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Kitty

Probably because they have a union which the Republicans detest. Also my guess is that you have a white collar job which you could potentially do until your late 60's at least and these sanitation workers will not have the physical stamina to last that long.

#1367111 - 10/03/12 03:24 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: Rascal]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Rascal
http://economywatch.nbcnews.com/_news/20...urvey-says?lite

U.S. private employers added 162,000 jobs in September, topping economists' expectations, a report by a payrolls processor showed on Wednesday.

#1367112 - 10/03/12 03:26 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: Zealot]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Zealot
Another change they should consider is making food stamp qualification based on total net worth and instead of just income. In our current system someone with zero or low earned income can still qulaify for food stamps even if they have millions in the bank/brokerage house.
Wow. I agree with you.

#1367119 - 10/03/12 04:03 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: kyle585]
cwjga Offline

Wow. I agree with you.

Kyle wants to end the food stamp system. Unbelievable. Kyle how cruel can you be.

#1367127 - 10/03/12 05:02 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: cwjga]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: cwjga
Wow. I agree with you.
Kyle wants to end the food stamp system. Unbelievable. Kyle how cruel can you be.
I didn't say I want to end it. Is that the type of twisted logic Romney is going to use tonight?

#1367131 - 10/03/12 05:21 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: kyle585]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: cwjga
Wow. I agree with you.
I didn't say I want to end it. Is that the type of twisted logic Romney is going to use tonight?

Just following Dem logic. Ryan proposes to reform medicare. THe Dems say he is killing it.

You believe that the food stamp program should be reformed,ergo you want to kill it.

#1367141 - 10/03/12 06:05 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: Zealot]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS

There used to be a means test for food stamps. I think any means test needs to have limits. I don't think people should have to sell their homes to get temporary assistance, perhaps, this assistance should be paid back when the house is sold after the person or person's have passed away.

#1367214 - 10/04/12 11:22 AM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: kyle585]
cwjga Offline

A labor union that supports President Barack Obama's re-election campaign has released an attack ad that features a sanitation worker collecting trash outside Mitt Romney's multimillion-dollar California mansion.

The head of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, which produced the spot, says it's a direct response to the Republican presidential nominee's controversial "47 percent" comments that have dogged him of late.

Kyle you should do more research before you post stupid things Dems say

Mitt Romney Worked As a Garbage Man

By Charles C. W. Cooke

October 2, 2012 2:09 P.M.

Comments

Yesterday, AFSCME put out a rather silly ad featuring Mitt Romney’s former garbage collector in La Jolla, California. The ad begins:

My name is Richard Hayes, and I pick up Mitt Romney’s trash. We’re kind of like the invisible people. He doesn’t realize that the service we provide – if it wasn’t for us, it would be a big health issue, us not picking up trash.

Get the sledgehammer message? Mitt Romney doesn’t understand! Romney could have no idea about quotidien things such as trash collection because his wealth and detachment prevent him from having to know what life is like for blue-collar workers such as Mr. Hayes.

There’s just one problem with this, and it lies on page 251 of Mitt Romney’s book, No Apology:

During my campaign for governor, I decided to spend a day every few weeks doing the jobs of other people in Massachusetts. Among other jobs, I cooked sausages at Fenway Park, worked on an asphalt paving crew, stacked bales of hay on a farm, volunteered in an emergency room, served food at a nursing home, and worked as a child-care assistant. I’m often asked which was the hardest job – it’s child care, by a mile.

One day I gathered trash as a garbage collector. I stood on that little platform at the back of the truck, holding on as the driver navigated his way through the narrow streets of Boston. As we pulled up to traffic lights, I noticed that the shoppers and businesspeople who were standing only a few feet from me didn’t even see me. It was as if I was invisible. Perhaps it was because a lot of us don’t think garbage men are worthy of notice; I disagree – anyone who works that hard deserves our respect. – I wasn’t a particularly good garbage collector: at one point, after filling the trough at the back of the truck, I pulled the wrong hydraulic lever. Instead of pushing the load into the truck, I dumped it onto the street. Maybe the suits didn’t notice me, but the guys at the construction site sure did: “Nice job, Mitt,” they called. “Why don’t you find an easier job?” And then they good-naturedly came down and helped me pick up my mess.

Here’s Romney working as a garbage collector:

#1367229 - 10/04/12 01:19 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: cwjga]
Cuzi Sedso Offline

You're talking about the day that Romney spent a few hours pretending he was living life as a garbage collector so he could "understand" what that was like. Give us all a break! Mittens knew very well that as soon as that little stunt was over he could go back to his comfortable life as a multimillionaire with no concerns about his financial future. His little anecdote just doesn't square with his unvarnished comments about what he really feels about 47% of the people.

#1367246 - 10/04/12 04:01 PM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: Cuzi Sedso]
cwjga Offline

Originally Posted By: Cuzi Sedso
You're talking about the day that Romney spent a few hours pretending he was living life as a garbage collector so he could "understand" what that was like. Give us all a break! Mittens knew very well that as soon as that little stunt was over he could go back to his comfortable life as a multimillionaire with no concerns about his financial future. His little anecdote just doesn't square with his unvarnished comments about what he really feels about 47% of the people.

Yea right, and the kool-aid keeps flowing. \:D

One day I gathered trash as a garbage collector. I stood on that little platform at the back of the truck, holding on as the driver navigated his way through the narrow streets of Boston. As we pulled up to traffic lights, I noticed that the shoppers and businesspeople who were standing only a few feet from me didn’t even see me. It was as if I was invisible. Perhaps it was because a lot of us don’t think garbage men are worthy of notice; I disagree – anyone who works that hard deserves our respect. – I wasn’t a particularly good garbage collector: at one point, after filling the trough at the back of the truck, I pulled the wrong hydraulic lever. Instead of pushing the load into the truck, I dumped it onto the street. Maybe the suits didn’t notice me, but the guys at the construction site sure did: “Nice job, Mitt,” they called. “Why don’t you find an easier job?” And then they good-naturedly came down and helped me pick up my mess.

Sounds to me like he understood perfectly.

Edited by cwjga (10/04/12 04:02 PM)

#1367339 - 10/05/12 07:41 AM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: cwjga]
kyle585 Offline
Silver Member

And the flip-flops just keep on coming. ;\)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/d...7057_story.html

By Philip Rucker and Vanessa Williams, Friday, October 5, 7:14 AM

FISHERSVILLE, Va. – Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is disavowing his controversial remarks dismissing “the 47 percent” of Americans who don’t pay federal income taxes, saying in an interview Thursday night that the comments were “just completely wrong.”

“My life has shown that I care about 100 percent, and that’s been demonstrated throughout my life,” Romney told conservative commentator Sean Hannity on Fox News. “And this whole campaign is about the 100 percent.”

#1367343 - 10/05/12 07:59 AM Re: Millionaires' Entitlements [Re: kyle585]
Ross Falk Offline

Loc: Gulfport
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/d...7057_story.html

By Philip Rucker and Vanessa Williams, Friday, October 5, 7:14 AM

FISHERSVILLE, Va. – Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is disavowing his controversial remarks dismissing “the 47 percent” of Americans who don’t pay federal income taxes, saying in an interview Thursday night that the comments were “just completely wrong.”

“My life has shown that I care about 100 percent, and that’s been demonstrated throughout my life,” Romney told conservative commentator Sean Hannity on Fox News. “And this whole campaign is about the 100 percent.”

And Obama hates white people! Basically Obama said that in the video Hannity aired Tuesday night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >