FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1366571 - 09/29/12 10:57 PM Kindle Fire problem
cookie Offline

Loc: Seneca County
A year ago, I bought my husband a Kindle Fire because he loves to play solitaire and we take it with us whenever we go away. Never had a problem until now. Now it tells me that I have to be connected to the internet in order to play the game. Any ideas as to why all of a sudden it is telling me that?

FingerLakes1.com
#1366579 - 09/29/12 11:34 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: cookie]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Does it do the same after a shut down or reboot? Low battery?
Hubby wants a newer game?

#1366633 - 09/30/12 11:39 AM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: I did it!]
cookie Offline

The kindle is always charging when not in use, so I do not think it's the battery. How do you reboot a kindle? Also Solitaire is the only game he likes from the apps I have. He really is not a computer person, except when it comes to solitaire...he can get on the game at home because I have a router, but as of last night he no longer can do anything because it says we need internet connection to do so and like I said earlier, for 1 year we never had that problem.

#1366644 - 09/30/12 01:32 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: cookie]
Tabbytails Offline

Loc: Here Abouts.
From http://resetkindle.info/

How to Reset Kindle Touch/ Kindle Fire

The Kindle touch and the Kindle FIre are great devices for you reading needs. However, there are time when it becomes unresponsive and freeze on you. Amazon says it is because the battery isn't charged properly or does not have enough power on it. It is advisable to charge your battery first before trying to reset the Kindle touch/Fire. If the Kindle still has issues, then try the steps below on how to reset your Kindle touch. Please note that you may lose you data during the reset process, make sure you have made a backup of your files before proceding.

Hard and Soft Reset

Make sure the Kindle is turned ON.

Press the Power button for 20-30 seconds until it turns OFF.

Wait for it to reboot, if it doesn't press the power button to turn it ON.

Your kindle should be back to a responsive state.

#1366780 - 10/01/12 12:20 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: Tabbytails]
cookie Offline

Thank you so very much for this information tabbytails. Appreciate your help.

#1441293 - 03/24/14 05:10 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: cookie]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
any other tablets people might recommend?

#1441396 - 03/25/14 07:21 AM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: cookie]
teedoff27 Offline

Loc: S2Hphoto
I think it boils down to what you use it for. If your main desire is Reading and steaming videos, netflix, or HBO 2 Go I recommend a Kindle Fire or Nook. If you are looking to use it for games I recommend an Android based tablet. They are considerably CHEAPER than an Ipad and have just as many game selections as Apple does.

#1441485 - 03/25/14 02:34 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: teedoff27]
Timbo Offline

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: teedoff27
I think it boils down to what you use it for. If your main desire is Reading and steaming videos, netflix, or HBO 2 Go I recommend a Kindle Fire or Nook. If you are looking to use it for games I recommend an Android based tablet. They are considerably CHEAPER than an Ipad and have just as many game selections as Apple does.

Respectfully, that simply is not true.

1) Android doesn't have NEARLY the number of Games or Apps as iOS (iPad) does. It's not even close.

2) iOS is FAR more secure and generally, quite a bit more stable than Android OSs.

3) You definitely pay a premium for Apple products, but as anyone who has any real experience with them will tell you, you get a far more elegant and refined experience (in general), than you do on other systems. If you use your tablet regularly, the advantages quickly become quite obvious for most users. Apple's customer support is FAR superior to that of others. Apple makes downloading and installing apps/games far simpler and easier to achieve that on any other platform. There is a far, Far, FAR greater selection of iPad accessories to choose from, than any other platform. Bar none.

4) BOTH are EXCELLENT platforms (in their respective niches).

Here are some fairly objective and accurate assessments of a few:

http://www.imore.com/ipad-vs-galaxy-vs-nexus-vs-kindle-vs-surface-which-tablet-should-you-get
http://ipad.about.com/od/ipad_competition/tp/iPad-vs-Android-Which-
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/tablets/ipad-vs-android-tablets1.htm
http://www.cultofandroid.com/39577/almos...tablets-report/

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

#1441491 - 03/25/14 02:48 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: cookie]
Timbo Offline

Originally Posted By: cookie
The kindle is always charging when not in use, so I do not think it's the battery. How do you reboot a kindle? Also Solitaire is the only game he likes from the apps I have. He really is not a computer person, except when it comes to solitaire...he can get on the game at home because I have a router, but as of last night he no longer can do anything because it says we need internet connection to do so and like I said earlier, for 1 year we never had that problem.

I would strongly suggest that you re-read the charging instructions that came with your tablet. Some models require that you NOT leave them charging once they are fully charged. It all depends on the design of your particular model.

Overcharging (heat) can in fact ruin the battery on some models. There may also be a procedure for "reconditioning" your battery back to (roughly) original condition. Many (not all) batteries benefit from being reconditioned once a month or so. If this is the case here, it will dramatically extend the life of the battery.

#1441509 - 03/25/14 04:18 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: cookie]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
The game that you downloaded you actually don't have on your system you are actually playing it online, hence why a connection is required. I checked the kindle here and there are several solitaire games that are downloaded right to your system and wont require a connection to play.

#1441577 - 03/26/14 05:12 AM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: Timbo]
teedoff27 Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo

Respectfully, that simply is not true.

1) Android doesn't have NEARLY the number of Games or Apps as iOS (iPad) does. It's not even close.

2) iOS is FAR more secure and generally, quite a bit more stable than Android OSs.

3) You definitely pay a premium for Apple products, but as anyone who has any real experience with them will tell you, you get a far more elegant and refined experience (in general), than you do on other systems. If you use your tablet regularly, the advantages quickly become quite obvious for most users. Apple's customer support is FAR superior to that of others. Apple makes downloading and installing apps/games far simpler and easier to achieve that on any other platform. There is a far, Far, FAR greater selection of iPad accessories to choose from, than any other platform. Bar none.

4) BOTH are EXCELLENT platforms (in their respective niches).

Here are some fairly objective and accurate assessments of a few:

http://www.imore.com/ipad-vs-galaxy-vs-nexus-vs-kindle-vs-surface-which-tablet-should-you-get
http://ipad.about.com/od/ipad_competition/tp/iPad-vs-Android-Which-
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/tablets/ipad-vs-android-tablets1.htm
http://www.cultofandroid.com/39577/almos...tablets-report/

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

I should of been more clear.... Every game I have ever wanted has been on BOTH ios and android. Also with android growing in popularity many developers are making their new games available on BOTH platforms.

#1441614 - 03/26/14 11:11 AM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: teedoff27]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

samsung is supposed to be offering a new tablet with many more features

#1441642 - 03/26/14 12:16 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: cookie]
DR. D Offline

Oddly enough Blue I happen to be posting this from my Samsung Windows 8.1 tablet.

#1441651 - 03/26/14 12:36 PM Re: Tablets [Re: DR. D]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

are there any features you like or dislike on the samsung compared to other tablets

#1441721 - 03/26/14 02:20 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: teedoff27]
Timbo Offline

I should of been more clear.... Every game I have ever wanted has been on BOTH ios and android. Also with android growing in popularity many developers are making their new games available on BOTH platforms.

It depends on how you define "many".

I believe it would be more accurate to say "some" developers are, but definitely not the majority.

#1441724 - 03/26/14 02:41 PM Re: Tablets [Re: bluezone]
Timbo Offline

#1441727 - 03/26/14 02:53 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: Timbo]
teedoff27 Offline

Originally Posted By: Timbo

It depends on how you define "many".

I believe it would be more accurate to say "some" developers are, but definitely not the majority.

Ok fine SOME lol....however I personallyhave yet to find an app that I want/like that is ios only. Which is good because as you know I [b]HATE] iphones and apple products and he double hockey stick will freeze over before I purchase an apple product. My daughter has an iphone and now she doesn't like it and wants the new Galaxy instead. My wife and her iphone5 however you would have to pry it from her cold dead hands LOL

basically everyone has their own preferences.

In my house we have an HP netbook, HP desktop, Dell laptop, Kindle Fire, Iphone5, Iphone 4, and Sony Xperia (android)

#1441730 - 03/26/14 03:07 PM Re: Kindle Fire problem [Re: teedoff27]
Timbo Offline

Yep.

There's definitely no be all, to end all.

#1441747 - 03/26/14 05:39 PM Re: Tablets [Re: bluezone]
DR. D Offline

I really like the fact I can run any thing I run on my PC, games, office, I mean anything my desktop will run since it has an Intel I5. The bad is that it gets a little warm due to the processor size and doesn't have a dedicated keyboard cover like the Surface Pro the my boy had.

The other good thing is that it has a 128gig hard drive right out of the box and also has a SD slot for more storage space.

#1441766 - 03/26/14 07:25 PM Re: Tablets [Re: DR. D]
Timbo Offline

That IS nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >