FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1365898 - 09/26/12 09:42 PM Jaywalking Crackdown Begins
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
For Campaign, Cornell Police Will Stand At Intersections, Target Jaywalkers

Cornell Police will be issuing tickets to those who “choose to disobey the rules of the road” during its third annual road safety campaign.

During the campaign, police officers stand near busy intersections and issue warnings to pedestrians who jaywalk or step out in front of vehicles and bicyclists and skateboarders who disobey traffic rules. They also distribute educational flyers and answer questions, according to the press release.

Last year, 143 tickets were issued during the two-day campaign. Several students who were ticketed expressed frustration at the campaign, and one elderly man swung at CUPD officers after being cited for jaywalking.

The campaign is a timely response to what Kathy Zoner, chief of the CUPD, called a “huge” increase in traffic-related personal injuries.

Forty accidents have been reported to the police over the past two years, Zoner said.

CUPD also works to enforce traffic rules in the interest of reducing crime. According to research, Zoner said, areas where there are high infractions of traffic laws have been shown to be related to areas that have high levels of crime.

“We have a very [active] traffic enforcement program that helps us identify people who don’t belong on campus or who are up to no good on campus, and that helps us reduce crime,” she said.

September 26, 2012
By Danielle Sochac

FingerLakes1.com
#1365996 - 09/27/12 12:53 PM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
The trough is full again, public "servants"! It's overtime!

"The annual enforcement campaign is being funded with a $2,170 highway safety grant from the New York State Governor's Traffic Safety Committee, according to the press release."

#1365998 - 09/27/12 01:21 PM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
spend more time getting the drunks off our roads almost ran over one last night while driving and watching the light from Mickey-Ds.

#1366079 - 09/27/12 07:39 PM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: newsman38]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood
Thank you, Cornell police! I wish Ithaca police would do the same. This has been a pet-peeve of mine since I moved here last year. Pedestrians figure, since they have the right-of-way, they can stop traffic. Just this Sunday, I was negotiating the Commons (which I abhore), and two young men stepped out in front of me against the walk light. I slammed on the brakes, almost being hit from behind. I glared at the men, who both gave me smug grins. I wanted to get out and slap them in the face. There are too many things going on, too many distractions, for pedestrians to assume a car sees them and will stop. There are alot of people walking around down there in the nice weather. A driver can't process, or anticipate, what each and every one of them are doing at the same time.

Same for the crosswalks that are marked by yellow signs; I believe they cause a driver to be looking at them, instead of an actual pedestrian. I drive up 89 going north out of town quite often, and the crosswalk in front of the skating rink is marked this way. People will look right at me and walk out in front of me before I have time to process their presence. I will stop for you, you fools, but that doesn't guarrantee I see you in time! Wait until I stop to cross, or don't blame me if I don't see you in time!

Phew! I feel (slightly) better now....

#1366096 - 09/27/12 09:21 PM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: newsman38]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
If they actually enforced jaywalking laws, they would find that the problem would go away. I know a town in Massachusetts where no one jay walks, and when pedestrians cross the street in a crosswalk cars practically stop on a dime. All it takes is enforcement of the law.

#1366190 - 09/28/12 11:19 AM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: Josephus]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

If they actually cared about jaywalking, they'd consistently enforce it all year. This is about getting all four hooves into the grant money trough.

#1366333 - 09/28/12 07:30 PM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: Josephus]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Originally Posted By: Josephus
If they actually enforced jaywalking laws, they would find that the problem would go away. I know a town in Massachusetts where no one jay walks, and when pedestrians cross the street in a crosswalk cars practically stop on a dime. All it takes is enforcement of the law.

We have that in town and most towns around Seneca county

#1366364 - 09/28/12 10:12 PM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: newsman38]
Cowgirl Offline

Loc: NY
They, the police don't care about the safety of people. They, the police were told to get more tickets for their coffers,

#1366539 - 09/29/12 09:04 PM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: Cowgirl]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood
That's an absurd blanket statement. Perhaps some other big-mouths like me have complained, and this is why.
Quote:
Hit by a Car While Jaywalking New York

As you have no doubt realized, it is never a good idea to cross against the light. However, in your case, the court may find that the driver had the last clear chance to avoid the accident and therefore impose liability on the driver.

Walkers began receiving warning 2 years ago!

http://www.cornellsun.com/node/43351
Police Pledge Stricter Jaywalking Enforcement

September 14, 2010
By Eliza LaJoie

Though jaywalking, crossing against the walk signal or stepping in front of cars has always been illegal, Cornell University Police are ramping up enforcement of pedestrian safety rules this year in the wake of widespread student violations.

Last year, CUPD received numerous complaints about pedestrians ignoring walk signals and crossing streets when it endangered themselves and motorists, according to Mike Beeching, a CUPD dispatcher, who said that such “close calls” have become too frequent.

In response, CUPD will use walking and biking patrols to spot jaywalkers and other violators.

Major intersections near campus, such as College Avenue and Campus Road, are of special concern to CUPD, Beeching said. He added that they will step up enforcement between the hours of 3 p.m. and 11 p.m., when pedestrian traffic is heaviest.

Beeching said that students caught breaking pedestrian rules are currently being warned that their actions are illegal, but later this year, offenders could be punished with a traffic ticket or referral to the judicial administrator.

“We’ve already issued a decent amount of warnings,” Beeching said. “I’m certain that down the road, citations will be issued.”

Breaking the law includes crossing when a traffic signal says “Don’t Walk” or stepping into a crosswalk in front of oncoming cars.

Contrary to what many students may believe, Beeching emphasized that New York State law requires cars to stop only if a pedestrian is already in the crosswalk. Pedestrians waiting on the curb do not have the right of way, he said.

“Pedestrians are not allowed to step into a crosswalk if it will endanger them or a driver,” he said.

Pedestrian violators in Collegetown may be ticketed by Ithaca Police as well, said Sgt. Robert Brotherton of the Ithaca Police Department.

“I think it’s a mentality in this country that pedestrians have the right of way,” he said.

Many students who have already received warnings expressed surprise and skepticism about the stricter enforcement policy on campus.

“I don’t think it really makes sense to enforce it when this is a college made up of so many walkers,” said Carolyn Entelisano, ’13, who was issued a warning by a walking police officer after crossing Thurston Avenue and Forest Home Drive intersection without waiting for the walk signal.

Entelisano said that there were no cars in the street when she crossed and she was in a hurry, so she did not see the point of waiting for a signal. An officer gave her a pedestrian safety information sheet and a warning that in the future she could face more severe punishment.

#1366595 - 09/30/12 01:56 AM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: Kitty]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I wish they'd do it this way. Freedom works, and people, as a whole, are smarter and more capable, and even more civil, than government would have them think. Think of how much easier downtown Ithaca would be to navigate without all of the distracting and sometimes confusing signage.:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-Ne...-town-finds-out

What happens when you remove all traffic signs? A German town finds out.

In a counterintuitive approach to reducing car accidents and making streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists, a German town has nixed all traffic signs and traffic lights in the town center.

A ‘common street’ sign for all modes of transport in Nieder-Erlenbach, Germany, doing away with traffic signs and traffic lights. The town center is attempting to turn itself into a shared space where cars and pedestrians communicate by eye contact and hand signals.

This unpretentious villagelike neighborhood in Frankfurt’s far-northern tip is known for the idyllic character of its old half-timber homes and its views of rolling hills.

Now it is a symbol of Germany’s effort to rescue its streets from the hegemony of cars and give more space to pedestrians and cyclists.

To prod drivers to better share the road, in February Nieder-Erlenbach got rid of all traffic signs and traffic lights in the town center. It also erased marked crosswalks, leaving only one sign that says “common street” and calling for a reduced speed of 30 km/h (18 m.p.h.). The only other rule: “Always give way to the person on the right.”

Thus Main Street turned into a “naked” square shared equally by bikes, pedestrians, cars, and trucks. With the change, Nieder-Erlenbach adopted a radical traffic-management philosophy gaining popularity in Europe. Pioneered by a Dutch engineer who thought towns were safer with fewer rules, “shared space” envisions open surfaces on which motorists and pedestrians can “negotiate” with one another by eye contact, other signals, and a greater consideration for one another.

Segregating cars and pedestrians was wrong, argued Hans Monderman, the Dutch engineer who put in place more than 100 shared-space schemes in the Netherlands. Prodded by European Union funding for shared-space initiatives, seven European towns have launched shared-space initiatives, including Ostend in Belgium, Ipswich in England, and the small northern town of Bohme, Germany.

But in Nieder-Erlenbach, not everybody is enthused. With no indications as to where to park, drivers tend to park everywhere, stalling traffic. Ulrike Markus finds the lack of sidewalks unsettling. “Children don’t know where they feel secure anymore,” Ms. Markus says.

While it’s too early to assess the impact of the changes on traffic incidents, the no-traffic-sign rule is forcing everybody to behave more responsibly, most residents agree. Juarita Lascarro says that the changes have created a new atmosphere on the street. “We all have to be careful all the time.”

#1366753 - 10/01/12 09:40 AM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Jaywalking Campaign Meets Mixed Student Reactions

Provoking skepticism, frustration and even “jaydancing” among students, the Cornell University Police Department issued 94 tickets during its annual roadway safety campaign last week — down from 143 tickets last year.

Ratnika Prasad said in light of a recent string of sexual assaults on campus, CUPD placed its priorities in the wrong place by focusing on the jaywalking campaign.

“If CUPD took all those officers that they are employing in broad daylight to give jaywalking tickets and employed them at nighttime to make Cornell safer, we would have less assaults and more tickets,” Prasad said.

Other students expressed their disagreement through a “jaydancing” protest Thursday.

Daniel Marshall, one of the organizers of the “jaydancing” event, said that the protest, in which students danced on the street at the intersection of in front of Anabel Taylor Hall, was “stupid, joyful and childish.”

“We believe that only the power of dance can exorcise the spirit of fascism from the hearts of the police,” the press release said. “We believe that childish acts of defiance are the voice of the Earth Mother. We have no demands.”

OCTOBER 1, 2012
BY MANU RATHORE

#1366811 - 10/01/12 07:03 PM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: newsman38]
Cowgirl Offline

Loc: NY
Again they only care about money for their coffers.

#1366894 - 10/02/12 11:26 AM Re: Jaywalking Crackdown Begins [Re: I did it!]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: I did it!
Originally Posted By: Josephus

We have that in town and most towns around Seneca county

No... they have the laws on the books, but rarely enforce them. There is a huge difference between having a law and enforcing it.