FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1365518 - 09/25/12 12:12 AM Verizon DSL Issues
ausimage Offline

Loc: sf, ny
I have been experiencing fairly predictable DSL disconnects with Verizon for over two months, now. It started when switched to the 7/1 service. The disconnects are during evening hours and mid morning hours. The connection is usually regained within a minute, only to disconnect several more times over the next hours. There are no disconnects in the afternoons, though.

I have spoken with both Verizon DSL and Netgear about the issue. Verizon claims after swapping line pairs, replacing the NID, and swapping ports that it has done everything possible. I even isolated the DSL on a seperate line. Netgear believes, like me, that the issue is with the Verizon service.

I actually purchased the Netgear ADSL modem/router after my 3Com ADSL modem/router started disconnecting on the 7/1 service. A replacement modem/router is being sent from Netgear, but I doubt this will solve the issue.

I have researched possible ADSL issues. I have verified each possible disconnection by checking the logs on the modem/router. I can access the LAN during a disconnection but not the WAN.

I can only assume one of following is occurring in my situation:

1. Line attenuation due to length. But why is it only at night?

2. Line attenuation due to interference. Verizon claims this is impossible, but online reports prove otherwise.

3. Network buffer overrun issues. I can see this a possibility for the evening, but the morning?

4. Non-standard Verizon patches to ADSL. Verizon frequently states only their equipment is supported. So why does my standard ADSL equipment work at all? Besides are there really any non-standard patches?

I am wondering if anyone has had the same experience or has any suggestions on how to proceed. Cable is not an option. TIA

ausimage

FingerLakes1.com
#1365574 - 09/25/12 10:54 AM Re: Verizon DSL Issues [Re: ausimage]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
If I were you, I would cancel the service. We signed up for Verizon DSL when we signed up for Direct TV as they are partnered. Everything was fine for approximately two weeks and then we began noticing that we would not have any internet connection at all. At first the interruptions were an hour or two, then they began to happen more frequently and for longer periods of time. We would call in for service and they would guide us through all the troubleshooting tips. This would not correct any of the issues, everytime we would call them to report that the problem had not been corrected, they would continue their speel of the troubleshooting tips, we would tell them to stop right there and just get someone to the house to fix the problem (their customer service SUCKS!!!) They did end up setting up an appointment for a Service Technician to come out to the house, my husband stayed home in the afternoon as they said it would be between 12-4 pm, noone every showed. Mind you, at this point the service was so bad we were not getting Internet at all at this point. We called and were quite disgruntled, again they tried their troubleshooting tips, then we about lost it and told them the whole situation and that they must have this all on our record, they replied that they did and we asked then why do you continue your troubleshooting blabber when you know that it didn't work the first 100 times we called in and attempted it. We demanded that a Service Technician be at our house, this was on a Friday evening, they gave us the excuse that they couldn't be there until Monday, we again demanded that that was not acceptable and that we wanted someone there first thing Saturday morning. They obliged, we asked for the local phone number to confirm this appointment, they didn't want to give it out but again did when we demanded and explained the last technician never showed up. The local Service unit explained that they never received an appointment for the day prior, therefore it was the Verizon Headquarters fault. That Saturday morning they came out, gave us the excuse that it was our phone line, never had problems with our prior service, but OK, maybe it went bad. They replaced it, stayed and tested it and it worked fine. For two weeks only then it started in again. We cancelled and told them we wanted to be refunded for a full two months of service for all that we had dealt with in that whole ordeal. Again, they obliged. They are terrible and so we heard from others that we're not the first ones to have had problems with their service.

Isaac Asimov

#1365620 - 09/25/12 02:36 PM Re: Verizon DSL Issues [Re: Dizzyt]
luvslilacs Offline

Loc: NY
We were also having the same problems with our internet over a period of time. Even went and bought a new router that worked for a while and then were told by verizon that we could only use the verizon equipment.Very annoying to have the internet "crap" out when you are in the middle of something! We had stopped using our home phone anyway so cancelled all verizon services and went with Time Warner. Haven't had any problems at all and it is cheaper than what we were paying with verizon.

#1365677 - 09/25/12 06:11 PM Re: Verizon DSL Issues [Re: luvslilacs]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I had a period of about 6 weeks or so where my Internet would disconnect every evening at about the same time. 95% of the time it would fix with a reboot, the rest of the time, it would fix while on the line with customer service. It hasn't happened in a few months (knock on wood). The price for the DSL is so much cheaper for me that I'll live with the annoyance.

#1365740 - 09/25/12 09:28 PM Re: Verizon DSL Issues [Re: twocats]
Tabbytails Offline

Loc: Here Abouts.
Had a problem with outages. The customer service was fine. Gave me a new router free and everything is great now.

We have a choice between Verizon DSL, Dial-up, or Satellite. DSL is much better than the other two. No cable out here.

#1366688 - 09/30/12 07:45 PM Re: Verizon DSL Issues [Re: Tabbytails]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
Ive had Verizon DSL for about 5 yrs. Never had any problem, have never had lost internet service. Very fast and lots cheaper than TW. After the first 12 months of $19.99, it went up to $26.99 and 3 yrs ago it went to $36 and has remained at that.

#1371285 - 10/31/12 10:40 AM Re: Verizon DSL Issues [Re: ausimage]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ausimage
I have been experiencing fairly predictable DSL disconnects with Verizon for over two months, now. It started when switched to the 7/1 service. The disconnects are during evening hours and mid morning hours. The connection is usually regained within a minute, only to disconnect several more times over the next hours. There are no disconnects in the afternoons, though.

I have spoken with both Verizon DSL and Netgear about the issue. Verizon claims after swapping line pairs, replacing the NID, and swapping ports that it has done everything possible. I even isolated the DSL on a seperate line. Netgear believes, like me, that the issue is with the Verizon service.

I actually purchased the Netgear ADSL modem/router after my 3Com ADSL modem/router started disconnecting on the 7/1 service. A replacement modem/router is being sent from Netgear, but I doubt this will solve the issue.

I have researched possible ADSL issues. I have verified each possible disconnection by checking the logs on the modem/router. I can access the LAN during a disconnection but not the WAN.

I can only assume one of following is occurring in my situation:

1. Line attenuation due to length. But why is it only at night?

2. Line attenuation due to interference. Verizon claims this is impossible, but online reports prove otherwise.

3. Network buffer overrun issues. I can see this a possibility for the evening, but the morning?

4. Non-standard Verizon patches to ADSL. Verizon frequently states only their equipment is supported. So why does my standard ADSL equipment work at all? Besides are there really any non-standard patches?

I am wondering if anyone has had the same experience or has any suggestions on how to proceed. Cable is not an option. TIA

ausimage

have they been fixed?