FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1362523 --- 09/04/12 06:52 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: VM Smith]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny
[quote=VM Smith]
Quote:
I'm quite sure a vote occurred where the citizens of this school district had the opportunity to have their voices heard.

The vote was skewed by all the recent high school grads who still got to have a say even though it was all emotion.

Many elections are mostly emotion...maybe most. And the teachers vote en masse, and if the budget fails, they will just keep throwing a similar one up. Many of those who don't vote don't because they figure it's futile. Many vote with their feet.

State law has changed. Now if a budget goes down it is mandated to put up a budget that adds the cost of living. I was a teacher there at the time of the last consolidation vote and I voted yes. I wanted to see SFCSD be able to have access to the tax revenues that WCSD gets from all the commercial property which both communities use.

FingerLakes1.com
#1362531 --- 09/04/12 08:04 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: VM Smith]
Carerinoa Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
The point of the discussion, to me anyway, is not to try to change a thing that has already happened, and thus is unchangeable, but to try to make sure that this sort of further abuse doesn't keep happening to tax victims, over and over, by causing people to think about it. It amounts to additional injury, and although I no longer live there, I'm still insulted.

Actions such as this are a main part of the reason I fled SFCSD, and they have caused me to focus on general principles, lately, as well as on specific smaller things, such as this particular armed robbery.

Not everyone sees this as abuse. I am a home/business owning tax payer with a son in the middle school. I see this as an asset and so do many others.

Abuse was the disillusion of the village with no say from the people living in the town. Funny how that is now biting people in the ass who were all for it.

#1362532 --- 09/04/12 08:05 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: 1moreagain]
Carerinoa Offline

Originally Posted By: 1moreagain
Originally Posted By: Carerinoa
HAckley44 is under the age of 18 and a highschool student in seneca falls. So not only should he not be posting on the board but he is also living proof that seneca falls should of spent that 18 million dollars on their education program and not their sports facility.

Some of you are unbelieveable. Hackley44's age has nothing to do with any of this. He hasn't been rude or disrespectful, just stating his opinions. Many of the "ADULTS" on here are complete idiots on a daily basis. As far as how the money was spent, it's a done deal now, your comments and opinions mean nothing. Why not find a new subject like, the wasted money on all of the state testing.

Those of us that are idsrespectful etc on here do so after honeslty joing the forum. Unlike this youngster who lied to be able to join the forum . So are you advocating that the youth of today should lie cheat and steal through out their life?

Overkill... SMH

#1362537 --- 09/04/12 08:27 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: 1moreagain]
reds4256rose Offline

Loc: Watertown
Originally Posted By: Carerinoa
HAckley44 is under the age of 18 and a highschool student in seneca falls. So not only should he not be posting on the board but he is also living proof that seneca falls should of spent that 18 million dollars on their education program and not their sports facility.

Some of you are unbelieveable. Hackley44's age has nothing to do with any of this. He hasn't been rude or disrespectful, just stating his opinions. Many of the "ADULTS" on here are complete idiots on a daily basis. As far as how the money was spent, it's a done deal now, your comments and opinions mean nothing. Why not find a new subject like, the wasted money on all of the state testing.

Those of us that are idsrespectful etc on here do so after honeslty joing the forum. Unlike this youngster who lied to be able to join the forum . So are you advocating that the youth of today should lie cheat and steal through out their life?

Looks like your School District, where ever you attended should have invested more money into it's English program, your gonna make a statement about spelling and grammar but can't spell your self...

#1362541 --- 09/04/12 09:02 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: reds4256rose]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Looks like your School District, where ever you attended should have invested more, your gonna make a statement about spelling and grammar but can't spell your self...

I try, at least, to confine my criticisms of language to situations where someone comes on and criticizes someone else's language, and often, by extension, their smarts. It can be sly, but it's usually there. So...

wherever

you're: means "you are"

yourself:
Yourself is regular; your self is reserved for special usage, when you are talking about someone's ego, what makes someone be the way he is.

Comma missing after "attended".

Should be: "if you're gonna..."

No one's language is perfect. Trying to become a perfect wordsmith is like taking half steps to a wall...you never can get there, no matter how long you try, and no matter how much effort you put into it.

An impossible task, but very important, so we should still make the effort, with improvement as the realistic goal, not perfection.

Not all are equally able or skilled, even though most would like to be, I think, and not everybody got a good start, with 'rents who could use language well. We should have some sympathy.

One common attitude that really gets to me though, is that language doesn't matter, that it's just a detail. Not true; it's one of the main things that differentiates us from the rest of the apes. Or from garden snails, for that matter.

To be willfully proud of not being able to use language in even the most basic fashion, and to heap scorn on those who think it important to at least try to use it well, as more than a few are and do (not referring to you, obviously; you like to beat with the other end of the stick), makes me want to hurl.

Edited by VM Smith (09/04/12 09:34 PM)

#1362543 --- 09/04/12 09:30 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: VM Smith]
reds4256rose Offline

Why thank you for the lesson Ma'am.

#1362544 --- 09/04/12 09:35 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: reds4256rose]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

No problem at all, and you did invite it. \:\)

#1362545 --- 09/04/12 09:36 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: VM Smith]
reds4256rose Offline

I suppose I did, but here's the difference, I'm not the pathetic adult attacking a minor for it \:\)

#1362549 --- 09/04/12 10:09 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: reds4256rose]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Perhaps 1moreagain shouldn't have, but it's still true, and he's right in what it says about the school system, so I'd say his "attack" was in the service of illustrating a valid point about public education, rather than the gratuitous attack so common, which is done to make the attacker feel superior, and to try to discredit the intelligence of the poster, merely to try to discredit his actual argument. This was more, "pointing out in order to illustrate or illuminate", I say.

One can try to be civil, but people use language as they do, and the kid doesn't exactly deserve a high five for his ability, after all these years of school. I'm not involved with government education, so I don't have to suck down the "self-esteem" mantra. Those that have made the effort to learn well should be praised, and those that haven't shouldn't be sheltered from that fact, and should be encouraged to do better. It does them no good, only harm, and it harms society, as well, if it is otherwise.

Edited by VM Smith (09/04/12 10:11 PM)

#1362550 --- 09/04/12 10:18 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: reds4256rose]
Family Man Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
First of all...the dissolution of the village resulted in me paying $1600 a year less in taxes...so it did benefit the people who were in favor of it. I understand that those in the town had to pay more in taxes but at least for the villagers, everyone saw their taxes go down.

As far as votes, it gets old listening to the excuses. The law says that 18 year olds can vote. Change the Constitution if you want that amended. Regardless, the number of seniors (students) that vote is minimal and has no bearing on the outcome. Teachers pay taxes in the school district so therefore they are allowed to vote. Districts are allowed, by law, to put another budget up for a vote. Again, change the law.

The private sector has done wonders, VM, with regards to pollution, equal rights, bad mortgage loans, unsafe consumer products...etc. It was the government that fixed those things. The TEA party babble, is just that, babble. Government serves an important purpose, to fix the problems that the private sector creates. My point remains, if you want to change the way elections turn out, get more of your ilk to the polls. Until then, the majority of voters will continue to support the education system in Seneca Falls.

P.S. If you didn't attack the kid, why did you apologize?

#1362552 --- 09/04/12 10:32 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
potstirer Offline

Loc: ny
The $18.000.000 total is for ALL improvements being done in the school district.
When looking at the actual $3,000,000 cost it looks like a hell of a deal.
http://www.sfcs.k12.ny.us/files/1188145/facilities%20publicationedited.pdf
Total Project Cost $18,920,000
State Building Aid Portion $15,720,000
Capital Reserve Fund Portion $3,200,000

#1362553 --- 09/04/12 10:41 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I apologized for saying that he's not as smart as he thinks he is, which implies that he's not smart, which may not be true. I don't apologize for using his lack of the ability to write a short paragraph in illustrating just how bad your schools are.

Quote:
Change the Constitution if you want that amended.

You're forgetting that I don't think the constitution has any legitimate authority; it should be ignored, just as your government ignores it.

A contract that all parties have not signed, which binds even the unborn, in perpetuity, and which allows government to borrow unlimited amounts and put those who have not signed the contract, and thus authorized the borrowing, and their descendants, on the hook, in perpetuity, and which all parties aren't required to honor, is not a valid contract, anywhere but in the Orwellian world of statism, and in your head, apparently. It is a one-sided imposition of social mastery and coercion, not a social contract.

The government, meaning all levels, with which you involve yourself, is simply the largest armed gang in the country.

From the beginning to the present, it is simply the monopoly on violence. They even state that, but it makes you uncomfortable, so you ignore it, and insist that government is wonderful. You would; you're part of it.

Beginning:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

And the present. Being the man he is, he had to really labor to tear the truth out of himself, and you can see and hear that, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQl-qAtNwQ

Your government's DHS just bought 1.2 billion rounds, 450 million of them .40 cal hollow points. Enough ammo to kill every American 4 times, if government could shoot straight. What are you guys planning? What is that branch of your government cooking up this time?

BTW, somehow you got it wedged into your head that I think teachers shouldn't vote, but that's true only in your head.

I simply say that government beauracrats generally vote for more government, just as welfare recipients usually vote for more welfare.

MOoo!

Edited by VM Smith (09/05/12 12:09 AM)

#1362559 --- 09/04/12 11:59 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

And the present. Being the man he is, he had to really labor to tear the truth out of himself, and you can see and hear that, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQl-qAtNwQ

Your government's DHS just bought 1.2 billion rounds, 450 million of them .40 cal hollow points. Enough ammo to kill every American 4 times, if government could shoot straight. What are you guys planning? What is that branch of your government cooking up this time?

Like Clint Eastwood said once "Make My Day" I'm ready.
I will fight again for another Warrior no matter a Marine,Army,Navy, Air Force,Coast Guard, but never again for the Government, ONLY FOR MY COUNTRY.
I love this country but never will ever trust the Government or
it's politics.
Semper-Fi

#1362566 --- 09/05/12 06:20 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: potstirer]
BTrain Offline

Potstirer,

You are correct. Bracht Field was not $18 million, The entire project is less than $18 million. The $3 million for site work, also included the new track and 2 new tennis courts. Bracht Field will be an asset to our community, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: potstirer
The $18.000.000 total is for ALL improvements being done in the school district.
When looking at the actual $3,000,000 cost it looks like a hell of a deal.
http://www.sfcs.k12.ny.us/files/1188145/facilities%20publicationedited.pdf
Total Project Cost $18,920,000
State Building Aid Portion $15,720,000
Capital Reserve Fund Portion $3,200,000

#1362567 --- 09/05/12 06:55 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Family Man
First of all...the dissolution of the village resulted in me paying $1600 a year less in taxes...so it did benefit the people who were in favor of it. I understand that those in the town had to pay more in taxes but at least for the villagers, everyone saw their taxes go down.

as long as your taxes went down then you find it fair?

#1362568 --- 09/05/12 06:59 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

The law says that 18 year olds can vote. Change the Constitution if you want that amended. Regardless, the number of seniors (students) that vote is minimal and has no bearing on the outcome.

why not just limit the voting to those that pay the school taxes?

#1362570 --- 09/05/12 07:02 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Teachers pay taxes in the school district so therefore they are allowed to vote.

why should they be allowed to vote themselves a raise?

they should not be allowed to vote on matters that benefit them directly

#1362572 --- 09/05/12 07:12 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Family Man]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

The private sector has done wonders

they pay for your overgenerous teachers salary, overgenerous pensions and overgenerous healthcare

good to see you voted for the dissolution...vote yes for the merger

#1362573 --- 09/05/12 07:18 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Hackley44]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Hackley44
I share my opinion

your parents should be getting their school tax bill soon
look to see how much they pay
and then ask them to see what they pay in total for all their property, school, county... taxes

you may be surprised at the total

#1362586 --- 09/05/12 10:11 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: bluezone]
RigaMortis Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Aren't they trying to consolidate both school programs now? Waterloo and Seneca Falls. After spending 18 million on a field I don't think their proposal will go through. If it does, what of that new field? It seems like no one on the board who votes for these things actually has a clue of what's going on.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >