FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1362339 --- 09/03/12 01:28 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: PinkMom4]
SportsRef1 Offline

Loc: Seneca County
"Studies have shown that a kid who is into sports is less likely to be doing drugs, smoking cigs and drinking alcohol."

nice liberal ideology.....but like most things the so called experts study......if it were only true!

FingerLakes1.com
#1362347 --- 09/03/12 02:31 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: SportsRef1]
Hackley44 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
I know as a student, that having these facilities upgraded it gives me a sense of pride. Just when I think about how Seneca Falls has one of, if not the best sports complexes in central NY! These upgrades brighten up our campus and make us proud to say that we are apart of the SFCSD. The Re-Done hallways in Mynderse are amazing and make the school feel a lot less jail like and more comfortable, and I can't wait until they start to redo the outside of the school this fall with new windows and a completely redone exterior. It makes me almost excited to go back to school this Wednesday!! Hahaha And I would like to congratulate the board and Mr.McKeveny for a job VERY well done. I am PROUD to be a student in the SFCSD

Edited by Hackley44 (09/03/12 02:32 PM)

#1362349 --- 09/03/12 02:48 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Bob_Mascari]
dieterhater2 Offline

Loc: South of 336
Is someone going to address the broken crane / scoreboard dropping debacle?

#1362400 --- 09/03/12 07:16 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Ambient
Okay, FIW: Show me an $18M high school soccer field....or cricket field for that matter. As for the skills learned....wouldn't it be better to put that sum of tax money into building better students.
"... team work, goal setting, discipline, and learning how to accept criticism" are the qualities students are supposed to be learning in the classroom. It's the type of instruction that should be available to all students, not just those who can catch a ball. Imagine the science lab that could be built with half that money or the quality of other educational services that could be provided for all students. No. The the school district is spending $18M on grass that doesn't grow and services that do nothing to advance education.

No...you are the one who is mistaken. There is a lot going on to advance education out there on the field where the grass doesn't grow.

#1362403 --- 09/03/12 07:21 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: PinkMom4]
Here's Johnny Offline

Originally Posted By: PinkMom4
you are way off sports teaches so much to kids it teaches them teamwork which incase you haven't noticed you will most likely need to know when you get a career...You must work by yourself or maybe you were just never good at sports and that is why your bashing it. It also teaches so much more and not to mention keeps kids in shape and out of trouble. Sports is just like a gym class, but outside of the gym..Studies have shown that a kid who is into sports is less likely to be doing drugs, smoking cigs and drinking alcohol..Also for those of you that don't know if you are not passing a class you can not play sports you are put on what is called a probation period and until you get your grades back up you can not play.

It is easy to bash the process but the truth of how better off the kids who participate are is a fact.

#1362411 --- 09/03/12 08:12 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: DR. D]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
Originally Posted By: DR. D
Just a random thought,the field was rebuilt and looks pretty nice. Uh, now what will we do with it if a merger takes place.......

Will they have to paint over the Mynderse Academy in the end zones?

#1362427 --- 09/03/12 09:16 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Code Red]
Ambient Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
"Studies have shown that a kid who is into sports is less likely to be doing drugs, smoking cigs and drinking alcohol."
What does this say about the quality of instruction at SFCD? I don't know why I have to pay for your kid to play. It's a waste of money. There is no overriding reason for spending $18M for kids to play. Spend $18M for kids to learn and the we all benefit. Who wins with with this? Dimwit parents who think I owe them $300 uniforms and phony grass field for their concussed kids to feel validated? Jeeze. Pick up freakin' book.

#1362464 --- 09/04/12 08:07 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ambient
Let 'em spend $18 million on a math program or a mechanical engineering curriculum.

correct

#1362471 --- 09/04/12 08:34 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: bluezone]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
Too late now, perhaps more research on the cost of installing plus maintenance, plus replacement of the artificial turf every 8 years or so should have been done.

http://cafnr.missouri.edu/research/turfgrass-costs.php

#1362475 --- 09/04/12 09:45 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Ambient]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Studies have shown that a kid who is into sports is less likely to be doing drugs, smoking cigs and drinking alcohol.

Correlation doesn't mean causation, of course. They like to play games, and so naturally are drawn to sports, which give them exercise. They could exercise on their own, though; it is possible to exercise without the aid of a football.

The fact that it is hard to drink a beer while throwing a ball or doing laps means nothing. Putting them in handcuffs would do the same thing. Would people be touting the benefits of that?

Quote:
Who wins with with this?

Those who sell athletic gear, plus some contractors, and the coaching staff and maintenance crew. Also, the school administrators, who will then be able to say say that they oversee a bigger budget, and so deserve more money. You will have no choice; the collective rules.

#1362476 --- 09/04/12 10:08 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Hackley44]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
I know as a student, that having these facilities upgraded it gives me a sense of pride.

Garbled syntax. Lose "it".

Quote:
Just when I think about how Seneca Falls has one of, if not the best sports complexes in central NY!

Okay...you "think", you say. You think what? What would the sentence say if you completed it, and it actually conveyed meaning?

Quote:
The Re-Done hallway

Caps inappropriate.

Quote:
I am PROUD to be a student in the SFCSD

Needs a period, but why are you proud? What, of value, have you learned, for Pete's sake, at Sports Academy? FI, learning, from sports, that life means competition is pretty useless if your English is so poor that you are unprepared to meet that competition. Have you considered studying, instead of devoting your time to children's games?

You did obviously gain the thing that Sports Academy, often called MA, is most geared to instill, which is overbearing self-esteem and pride, with an attitude, whether it's warranted or not. Hey...after 12 years, there has to be some result, such as your callous propensity to thumb your nose at those who have had money extracted from them, at gunpoint, so that you could go somewhere and spend your time and our money tossing a ball. You haven't learned much, you're not as smart as you think you are, and your manners suck. Good luck, though!

#1362479 --- 09/04/12 10:35 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: VM Smith]
Hackley44 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Geez thank god I don't want to be an English major!!! :'D

#1362480 --- 09/04/12 10:52 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Hackley44]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

One would think that learning to use a language well enough to express thoughts on an adult level (and I believe that if one habitually can't clearly express thoughts, it means that one habitually doesn't have clear thoughts) is a major goal of education.

Good luck!

#1362482 --- 09/04/12 11:24 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Hackley44]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: Hackley44
Just when I think about how Seneca Falls has one of, if not the best sports complexes in central NY!
I don't know what you are thinking about either but whatever it is there should a comma after "best" to match the one after "of" to form a complete phrase. (And I am far from an English major)

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/qa-ell.html

U.S. Department of Education

Limited-English proficient students (also sometimes referred to as English-language learners) may suffer repeated failure in the classroom, falling behind in grade, and dropping out of school if they are not provided services to overcome language barriers. Students who are not proficient in English are sometimes inappropriately placed in special education classes. Also, because of their lack of English proficiency, qualified students often do not have access to high track courses or Gifted and Talented programs.

Edited by kyle585 (09/04/12 11:49 AM)

#1362485 --- 09/04/12 11:53 AM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: kyle585]
1moreagain Offline

Loc: corrupt seneca county
HAckley44 is under the age of 18 and a highschool student in seneca falls. So not only should he not be posting on the board but he is also living proof that seneca falls should of spent that 18 million dollars on their education program and not their sports facility.

#1362486 --- 09/04/12 12:38 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Hackley44]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Please except my apology, and I'll try to clarify.

Just because many young people are quite full of themselves, and often think they are smarter than they are, doesn't necessarily mean they aren't smart, and quite smart enough to do well in life, at that.

You might aspire to be a football coach, a physicist, or POTUS. Whichever, it's quite possible that you will achieve your goal.

But, even if the ideas in your head are very fine ideas, if you can't clearly communicate them to those around you, you will be less effective than you could be.

If you think properly using English has much to do with being an English major, you are mistaken. That has more to do with becoming successful in a particular field, usually, but language is a tool kit that's used by everyone, more or less well, whether she be a plumber, or the POTUS, or somebody in China who wants a job more than do some Americans.

If you think that gaining an education is merely a matter of obtaining the proper credentials to enter a particular field, then you understand how too much of society works, but you are missing the point of a broad-based education, which is to prepare you for life by training you to think logically, and to make sense of the chaos of info that life constantly throws at us, and to make informed, logical decisions.

FI, the study of history isn't really about memorizing facts and dates, although I think that without them, it's impossible to follow the thread. To know why things happen, one has to know who did them, and in what order, and in response to what, and so, why. The "why" is what you should be after. If one knows that, it's easier to know why people act now, and if you know that, and also what happened when similar things were done, back in the day, it's easier to know whether any given present action is appropriate, effective, or even ethical.

When I was a half-grown child, and even more ignorant than I am now, perhaps, I asked my dad if college teaches everything one should know. He replied that it can give one some idea of what one doesn't know.

As much as anything, I think that is the proper goal of education; from humility can come wisdom. By humility, I don't mean that one should go through life bowing and scraping, and kissing butt; I just mean that humility is the only thing that will cause us to admit to ourselves that we don't know everything, and so realize that all of life must be for learning; effort is all that's needed.

So, I shouldn't have implied that you aren't smart; you may well be very smart. Stupidity and ignorance aren't the same thing, and the beginning of wisdom is, for all of us, to admit to at least some ignorance, and to try to learn as much as possible.

In fairness to youth, I must say that I think that may be easier as we age, after life has inevitably abraded at least some of the wisdom-deflecting polish of self-absorption off of us.

Good luck, and don't neglect laughter and love; they are the other major parts of a good life; knowledge and money and power are empty without them.

Two more things: Always check your work, and always wear clean underwear; you never can tell... \:\)

And sports? Tons of fun, and they give an opportunity for exercise, and can be excellent for health, provided that one doesn't suffer any permanent injury, as often happens, but they have nothing to do with education, and shouldn't be conflated with worthwhile education, and so shouldn't be in education budgets, the money for which is seized by coercion.

Edited by VM Smith (09/04/12 01:13 PM)

#1362489 --- 09/04/12 01:18 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: 1moreagain]
Carerinoa Offline

Originally Posted By: 1moreagain
HAckley44 is under the age of 18 and a highschool student in seneca falls. So not only should he not be posting on the board but he is also living proof that seneca falls should of spent that 18 million dollars on their education program and not their sports facility.

Some of you are unbelieveable. Hackley44's age has nothing to do with any of this. He hasn't been rude or disrespectful, just stating his opinions. Many of the "ADULTS" on here are complete idiots on a daily basis. As far as how the money was spent, it's a done deal now, your comments and opinions mean nothing. Why not find a new subject like, the wasted money on all of the state testing.

#1362491 --- 09/04/12 02:21 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Carerinoa]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
As far as how the money was spent, it's a done deal now, your comments and opinions mean nothing.

Do you similarly think that if someone has been murdered, FI, all discussion of that should stop, simply because his life is over, and that it is your job to hector people into stopping the discussion?

#1362493 --- 09/04/12 02:41 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: Carerinoa]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: Carerinoa
Originally Posted By: 1moreagain
Some of you are unbelieveable. Hackley44's age has nothing to do with any of this. He hasn't been rude or disrespectful, just stating his opinions. Many of the "ADULTS" on here are complete idiots on a daily basis.
He has indeed been much more respectful and less rude than many of the so-called adults on here. I give him a lot of credit for that.

#1362494 --- 09/04/12 02:49 PM Re: 18 Million $$ for a football field!! [Re: VM Smith]
Carerinoa Offline

They all do as they please anyway but pissing, moaning and beating a dead horse isn't going to change a thing. What's done is done, in this case or if someone had been murdered. I should know better, it is FL1, why should it change with this subject. Eventually it will be locked.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >