FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1358261 - 08/11/12 08:52 AM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins
Cinnamon Offline

Loc: Central NY
This should give the residents of Watkins Glen reason to worry.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/10/us/louisiana-bayou-sinkhole/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

FingerLakes1.com
#1358303 - 08/11/12 02:43 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: Cinnamon]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Imagine the devastation in an area as populated as Watkins Geln.

#1358410 - 08/12/12 09:48 AM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: twocats]
Forest Girl Offline

Loc: The Heights
Gas Free Seneca has an event coming up on August 17th.

#1358437 - 08/12/12 12:56 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: Forest Girl]
LittleKing Offline

Originally Posted By: Forest Girl

I assume the protesters will all walk to it, given their opposition to fossil fuels.

#1358446 - 08/12/12 01:58 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: LittleKing]
Teonan Offline

Loc: Gaia
Originally Posted By: LittleKing

I assume the protesters will all walk to it, given their opposition to fossil fuels.

Ever hear of carpooling? Rideshare?

I assume not.

#1358451 - 08/12/12 02:43 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: Teonan]
LittleKing Offline

Originally Posted By: Teonan

Ever hear of carpooling? Rideshare?

I assume not.

In other words, you will be burning fossil fuels to get there.

It's summer. There's nothing stopping you from walking and not burning any fuels.

Hypocrite.

#1358473 - 08/12/12 05:45 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: LittleKing]
Teonan Offline

Loc: Gaia

Hypocrite.

In the words of my quick-witted homie -- Ahhahahahahaha

#1358498 - 08/12/12 09:36 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: twocats]
de1 Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: twocats
Imagine the devastation in an area as populated as Watkins Geln.

Total devastaiton! LOL! What a bunch of wack jobs!

#1358553 - 08/13/12 10:00 AM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: LittleKing]
Forest Girl Offline

Who said anything about opposition to fossil fuels? Yes, I think that most of us would like to see more effort put toward developing renewable energy sources, but this is about the development of that area, the impact on our local economy and the safety of the project itself.

#1358561 - 08/13/12 11:02 AM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: Forest Girl]
de1 Offline

Who said anything about opposition to fossil fuels? Yes, I think that most of us would like to see more effort put toward developing renewable energy sources, but this is about the development of that area, the impact on our local economy and the safety of the project itself.

The effect on the local economy will be more jobs,more tax revenue and a boost to local business. That's a no brainer for most people! If people think this project won't move forward you're living in fantasyland!

Edited by de1 (08/13/12 12:41 PM)

#1358578 - 08/13/12 12:54 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: de1]
Forest Girl Offline

Originally Posted By: de1

The effect on the local economy will be more jobs,more tax revenue and a boost to local business. That's a no brainer for most people! If people think this project won't move forward you're living in fantasyland!

The facility will only provide a handful of permanent jobs, they're already asking for tax breaks and it will have a negative impact on all of the tourism related businesses in the area, who already employ a whole lot of people. I might be living in "fantasyland" but I'm not going to go down without a fight. I'm not going to be one of those people who sits by and says nothing only to gripe about the negatives after the fact.

#1358587 - 08/13/12 01:26 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: Forest Girl]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
they're already asking for tax breaks

That, alone, would nix the project in any rational person's mind. I predict that the project will move forward, and that it will receive the corporate welfare.

The government will rob some more money from the tax cattle that are already being farmed here, and use it to induce a new tax cow to move here.

Thus,, the tax base will grow, and the tax income stream from the farm will grow, which is the purpose of government. Some of the existing cattle will moo with happiness.

#1358600 - 08/13/12 03:43 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: Forest Girl]
de1 Offline

The facility will only provide a handful of permanent jobs, they're already asking for tax breaks and it will have a negative impact on all of the tourism related businesses in the area, who already employ a whole lot of people. I might be living in "fantasyland" but I'm not going to go down without a fight. I'm not going to be one of those people who sits by and says nothing only to gripe about the negatives after the fact.

A handful of permanent decent paying jobs is better than seasonal minimum paying tourism jobs anyday. All companies apply for tax breaks, its the way things are done anymore. As far as tourism goes you won't even notice the difference. That's overblown just like all the other points people like you try and make.

#1358603 - 08/13/12 04:20 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: de1]
Forest Girl Offline

A handful of permanent decent paying jobs is better than seasonal minimum paying tourism jobs anyday. All companies apply for tax breaks, its the way things are done anymore. As far as tourism goes you won't even notice the difference. That's overblown just like all the other points people like you try and make.

That is truly laughable. You obviously don't live down at this end of the lake because if you did you'd know that there are a lot of people who are doing just fine working those tourism jobs. Most are neither seasonal nor "minimum paying". Overblown? Again, you clearly have no idea and nothing that I can possibly say will enlighten you. I would just invite you to spend a weekend, any weekend, down at this end of the lake to see exactly how overblown the impact of those tourism dollars is.

#1358607 - 08/13/12 04:39 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: de1]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
All companies apply for tax breaks, its the way things are done anymore

Yes, the problem has been steadily worsening for years. We just look at the problem differently: You are fine with the robbery, and I want to see it ended.

#1358665 - 08/13/12 11:13 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: Forest Girl]
de1 Offline

That is truly laughable. You obviously don't live down at this end of the lake because if you did you'd know that there are a lot of people who are doing just fine working those tourism jobs. Most are neither seasonal nor "minimum paying". Overblown? Again, you clearly have no idea and nothing that I can possibly say will enlighten you. I would just invite you to spend a weekend, any weekend, down at this end of the lake to see exactly how overblown the impact of those tourism dollars is.

How's the tourism dollars from Oct.1 to memorial day? Like I said seasonal low paying jobs!

#1358718 - 08/14/12 09:51 AM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: de1]
Forest Girl Offline

How's the tourism dollars from Oct.1 to memorial day? Like I said seasonal low paying jobs!

Again, you just have no clue and I don't have the time or the energy to try to educate you, particularly when you probably wouldn't believe me even if you saw the buses and limos in the dead of winter with your own eyes. So I'm not going to waste any more time here. I will say that October is one of the busiest months, between the leaf peepers and the grape harvest. There is a lull in January after the holidays, but that's about it these days. For some, it's a welcome relief!

#1358755 - 08/14/12 12:13 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: Forest Girl]
de1 Offline

Again, you just have no clue and I don't have the time or the energy to try to educate you, particularly when you probably wouldn't believe me even if you saw the buses and limos in the dead of winter with your own eyes. So I'm not going to waste any more time here. I will say that October is one of the busiest months, between the leaf peepers and the grape harvest. There is a lull in January after the holidays, but that's about it these days. For some, it's a welcome relief!

Yeah Ok! LOL!

#1359134 - 08/16/12 03:40 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: de1]
Gluskap Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes

Quote:
A handful of permanent decent paying jobs is better than seasonal minimum paying tourism jobs anyday.

Define decent - I know many folks in the "tourism" industry who are taking home some pretty serious money. Did you ever stop to think that not everyone wants to work full time year round? A few months off in the winter is a welcome break for some. They budget well to carry them through that down time. However, as it's already been stated - many people work year round in these jobs - hotels, wineries, restaurants, shops, etc.

The thing is, it's not just about jobs - it's also about what stimulates the economy around here. The above mentioned business along with many others - farm stands, ice cream stands, dairy farms, breweries and so much more bring people into the area who spend money which helps everyone. Not to mention the fact that pretty much all of the people employed by these business also spend their money locally - thus reinvesting in the local economy.

It's called the bigger picture.

How many people will the LPG storage facility bring to the area? It's my opinion and that of many others that such a facility may actually deter people from coming to the area.

Then of course, there are the numerous health and welfare concerns of all who live in the area - the entire Seneca Lake area and beyond.

#1359138 - 08/16/12 03:49 PM Re: Proposed LPG storage in Watkins [Re: de1]
Gluskap Offline

Loc: Finger Lakes
Quote:
All companies apply for tax breaks, its the way things are done anymore.

So, let's just sit back and let the giant mega rich corporations do what they want, when they want at the expense of pretty much everyone else around them! Schools, students, teachers, taxpayers and the community at large all lose! But what the heck, it's the way things are done anymore.

Government, school leaders vow to fight assessment reduction for Inergy, Walmart

WATKINS GLEN, Aug. 15 -- Town, county and school leaders agreed Tuesday at a meeting at the Schuyler County Courthouse to share the cost in opposing an effort by Inergy and Walmart to cut in half assessments on property each company owns -- Inergy in the Town of Reading and Walmart in the Town of Dix.

Watkins Glen School Superintendent Tom Phillips (pictured at right) said the meeting of leaders from the county, Village of Watkins Glen, school district and Towns of Reading and Dix resulted in agreement by each party to share the cost of the legal effort, which is heading Aug. 17 to New York State Supreme Court.

The requested cuts by both Inergy and Walmart were rejected at the town grievance level, prompting the court action by the two firms.

Inergy is seeking a reduction of $15 million from a current assessment of $29,282,201. That applies to property purchased last year by Inergy from NYSEG in the Town of Reading.

Walmart is seeking a reduction of $6,775,000 from its assessment of $12,400,000 on the land and store it owns on Fourth Street in Watkins Glen. That section of the village lies in the town of Dix.

Present at Tuesday's session were Phillips, County Administrator Tim O'Hearn, Watkins Glen Mayor Mark Swinnerton, Reading Town Supervisor Marvin Switzer and Dix Town Supervisor Harold Russell.

O'Hearn (pictured at right) has said the assessment authority in such cases lies with the towns, but that the county is a party in providing "assessment services. We are a strong partner."

The county would also be impacted by the reductions -- along with the school district, village and towns -- through a loss of tax revenues.

Phillips has said the school district would lose $270,000 in revenue. The amount lost by the county, according to one published report, would be $167,000, while the village would see a reduction of $40,000. Figures for the towns are not clear, but would measure in the thousands of dollars.

Phillips and O'Hearn said the group will probably seek an outside attorney -- what one county official has referred to as a "hired gun" -- to help county and town attorneys on the case.

The Aug. 17 date in State Supreme Court is expected to be procedural, both O'Hearn and County Attorney Geoffrey Rossi have said. The case could take months to run its course, they have indicated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >