FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1351796 --- 07/03/12 09:05 PM Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes?
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Rochester Man Arrested for Buffalo Street Robbery in Ithaca

ITHACA — City police early Tuesday arrested a 25-year-old Rochester, NY man after responding to the 800 block of W. Buffalo Street. Michael Murray is in Tompkins County Jail after being charged with third-degree criminal possession of a loaded handgun.

Officers apprehended Murray after a short foot chase, police said. Initially, officers responded to the West State Street area to investigate a reported domestic incident. Additional charges are likely in this continuing investigation, police say.

July 3, 2012 By Ed Sutherland

Man stabbed during Ithaca robbery

Ithaca Police are investigating an early morning robbery that sent the victim to a hospital. It happened on the 200 block of Elmira Road just before 1:30 Sunday morning.

Police say two men approached the victim, stabbed him in the face and arm, and then physically attacked him. The victim later found that his ID and money were missing from his pocket. He was treated at Cayuga Medical Center for non-life threatening injuries.

06/24/2012 09:43 AM

Ithaca Business Robbed

Police are searching for a suspect in a downtown Ithaca robbery.

Ithaca Police say it happened at Mayer's Smokeshop and Newstand around 7:30 Sunday morning.

The suspect allegedly threatened a cashier with a metal object, ordered the cashier to get on the floor, then stole money from the register and took off.

The suspect is described as an older clean shaven black man, about 5 foot 10, with a slim build.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Ithaca Police Make Drug Arrest in Connection with Reported Hotel Robbery

ITHACA — A 22-year-old was arrested Saturday and charged with criminal possession of a drugs and intent to sell, city police said Monday. The arrest followed a report of a robbery at the Hampton Inn on Elmira Road.

Joseph M. Perrett of Erin, NY was found in the parking lot of the nearby Wendy’s after Ithaca Police responded to a report that three people had stolen money from his hotel room. Perrett was positively identified as the alleged robber. During their investigation, police found Perrett had more than 22 grams of powdered cocaine along with numerous baggies, a scale and cash.

The suspect was arraigned and sent to Tompkins County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash or $10,000 bail bond.

June 18, 2012

Ithaca Police investigating strong-arm robbery

Police in Ithaca are investigating a strong-arm robbery that was reported overnight.

Police say the victim reported that around 12:55 a.m. a suspect jumped into the passenger side of her vehicle on the 200 block of West Seneca Street and demanded money. The suspect didn’t display any weapons, but concealed one hand in his jacket pocket.

The suspect took her money and ran off toward North Geneva Street.

6/04 9:00 am

Ithaca’s Byrne Dairy Robbed — One Arrest Made

ITHACA — Byrne Dairy was robbed Tuesday night by two men, one threatening a store employee with a gun, police say. Officers later arrested one man, charging him with second-degree robbery.

The robbery at 215 N. Meadow St. happened at 10 pm, when the clerk at the store first signaled to police. When officers arrived, the store employee said two people had robbed him of an unspecified amount of money. He said the two went behind the counter, demanding cash from the register. Both suspects fled on foot.

Using a detailed description of the robbers provided by the clerk, police quickly caught up with one suspect five blocks from the robbery. James Nolan Alexander, a 39-year-old city of Ithaca resident, was charged with robbery in the second degree, a felony. Alexander was arraigned and is being held in the Tompkins County Jail.

Police are still looking for the second suspect, described as a black male, around six-feet-tall and of average build.

May 30, 2012

Ithaca Police Investigating Armed Robbery

Ithaca Police are asking for your help as they investigate an armed robbery after two people were robbed at knife point in their own car. It happened around 9 p.m. Tuesday along the 600 block of Chestnut Street.

Two people told police they were in their car, and stopped along the street when an unknown man got into their vehicle and threatened them with a knife.

May 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM EDT

Police investigate Ithaca robbery

Ithaca police are searching for a man they say robbed a woman in the city. It happened on West State Street near the Ithaca Commons around 8:30 Saturday night.

According to investigators, the man grabbed the woman and demanded her belongings. He ran off on foot with an undisclosed amount of money. The victim was not hurt.

Police said the man was in his early 20s, with a thin build and curly hair.

05/20/2012 10:16 AM

Police search for suspects after robbery of Ithaca McDonald's

Police in Ithaca are searching for suspects after a fast-food restaurant was robbed Tuesday night.

According to the Ithaca Police Department, around 9:00 p.m. officers were called to the McDonald’s on Elmira Road for a report of a robbery. When police arrived they were told that a man entered the restaurant, walked behind the counter, confronted employees, and demanded money while displaying what appeared to be a gun concealed in a bag. Police say the suspect took an undisclosed amount of cash before fleeing in a vehicle that was waiting outside.

The suspect is described as a large white, standing around six feet tall and weighing more than 250 pounds. He was reportedly wearing a black zip-up hooded sweatshirt, dark sunglasses, and a purple bandana over his mouth and nose. The getaway car is described as a mid-size SUV, possibly a Jeep.

No injuries were reported.

Posted: 05.02.2012 at 6:53 AM

Ithaca Police On the Lookout for robbery suspect

Ithaca Police say they are looking for a suspect in a robbery at a business in the Ithaca Commons in the 100 block of East State Street.

On Saturday at about 4:00 p.m. police say a man walked into the business, showed a knife and demanded cash. Police say he also told people in the store that he had a gun, but never showed one.

The suspect left the store with an undisclosed amount of money.

Police describe the suspect as being a middle-aged white male, approximately six feet tall and an average build.

2/26 12:10 am

3 indicted in Ithaca poker game robbery

playing Texas Hold 'Em when the trio -- one of whom was wearing a black bandanna over his face and wielding a revolver -- entered through the salon's rear entrance and ordered the players to surrender their money, wallets and cell phones and lay ...

December 25

FingerLakes1.com
#1351869 --- 07/04/12 03:24 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Ten robberies in 6+ months, in a metro area with 102,000 population? Are you implying that it's not safe to leave our houses in this "robbery capital"?

#1351880 --- 07/04/12 06:53 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

About Ithaca crime rates

With a crime rate of 55 per one thousand residents, Ithaca has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 18. Within New York, more than 98% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Ithaca.

Importantly, when you compare Ithaca to other communities of similar population, then Ithaca crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Ithaca does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most....

From our analysis, we discovered that violent crime in Ithaca occurs at a rate higher than in most communities of all population sizes in America.

Copyright © 2001-2012 Location Inc®.

#1351889 --- 07/04/12 09:17 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

That settles it, then...I'll just stay home...lock the doors...

#1351891 --- 07/04/12 09:38 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
There are different ways to put your head in the sand.

One is staying home and locking the doors, as you sarcastically suggest.

The other is ignoring the problem or arguing it doesn't exist.

I was surprised by those crime stats newsman posted. I knew robberies were up but I didn't realize how bad the problem was.

Yes, Ithaca may be safer than the South Bronx or East L.A. but that doesn't mean the population should be complacent about the obvious rise in this type of crime.

My personal view: the local government is paralyzed by political correctness, combined with budget constraints that are leading the baby mayor and police chief to expend resources on more 'profitable' things like writing tickets (and getting fine money) for seat belt and cell phone enforcement (and, no, I haven't gotten a ticket for either, I just keep reading their PR about both).

But, of course, that's just subjective thinking on my part.

#1351895 --- 07/04/12 10:14 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: BigRed]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Just a thought, and this is purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if the crime rate has anything to do with it being a big college town. Living in Geneva, I know college students can get a little crazy at times leading to property damage. I wonder how Ithaca compares to other college towns.

#1351902 --- 07/05/12 01:46 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
strangeone Offline

Loc: Fayette,N.Y.
Ithaca. Little Asia you mean?

#1351935 --- 07/05/12 05:44 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
Triumph the Dog Offline

Originally Posted By: twocats
Just a thought, and this is purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if the crime rate has anything to do with it being a big college town. Living in Geneva, I know college students can get a little crazy at times leading to property damage

Jah, it's all dose ivy leaguers committing der robberies. Probably sorority pranks gone awry.

#1351959 --- 07/05/12 09:40 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: BigRed]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

You're saying that if someone is afraid of being victimized , and stays home more, and locks her doors and is hesitant to move about in the city, she is putting her "head in the sand"?:

I'd characterize her behavior as recognizing the situation and dealing with it rationally.

She's bright enough to see that a problem most obviously does exist. What would you have her do? Perhaps meet up with the criminals and talk them into being nice? Dazzle them with her Kung Fu moves?

#1351961 --- 07/05/12 09:49 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: strangeone]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: strangeone
Ithaca. Little Asia you mean?

No. That's what you mean. If that were what she meant, she would have said that.

#1351972 --- 07/05/12 12:56 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
ovidtech Offline

Loc: Between.
School is expensive, we give some students leeway as they get so wonderfully inventive seeking new funding, because we know it is for the betterment of society as a whole. And who is really hurt.

(It was clear in my mind what I was attempting to say.)

Edited by ovidtech (07/05/12 02:39 PM)

#1351992 --- 07/05/12 02:16 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: ovidtech]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

?????

#1352229 --- 07/08/12 12:44 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Ten robberies in 6+ months, in a metro area with 102,000 population? Are you implying that it's not safe to leave our houses in this "robbery capital"?

You don't recognize the problem in your first post.

And then say you're burying your head in the next as a precautionary motive.

lolol

#1352299 --- 07/08/12 02:48 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Rascal]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Rascal

You don't recognize the problem in your first post.

And then say you're burying your head in the next as a precautionary motive.

lolol

What problem? The OP listed 10 robberies in over 6 months, and then implied that that may make Ithaca a crime capital.

Stay with me now...it was only AFTER my post that any supporting evidence for that claim was given.

Staying in a place where one is safer from crime is not the same as burying one's head.

The expression means "to ignore something". Recognizing a danger is the OPPOSITE of ignoring it.

What is it that you smoke, anyway? Opium?

#1352319 --- 07/08/12 07:31 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Man injured in overnight robbery

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Police are searching for a suspect in an overnight robbery in downtown Ithaca. It happened just after midnight on the Commons near State and Tioga Streets on Sunday.

According to authorities, a man was talking to a group of women when the only other man in the group approached him, punched him in the face, and knocked him unconscious. The victim also reported that his wallet was stolen. He was taken to Cayuga Medical Center for facial injuries.

Police are now looking for the person who is responsible.

07/08/12
12:06 PM
YNN

#1352327 --- 07/08/12 08:16 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks a little...now I've got all of the furniture piled in front of the doors, and a shotgun at hand.

Even the dog looks a little worried...

#1352416 --- 07/09/12 01:23 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Thanks a little...now I've got all of the furniture piled in front of the doors, and a shotgun at hand.

You are always welcomed to come to my AO and share a weapon of choice. Lots of ammo water and food

#1352444 --- 07/09/12 03:11 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks, Bro! Got meds? I might be still a little shaky for a bit, after evacuating this FB.

#1352473 --- 07/09/12 05:07 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

I'll bet the cats aren't scared at all!

#1352500 --- 07/10/12 01:26 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

And it's a good thing...no way we're sharing meds with twelve cats. \:\)

#1353051 --- 07/12/12 05:57 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

2 arrested in Ithaca home-invasion robbery; 1 woman still sought

ITHACA -- A man and a woman were arrested by Ithaca police Thursday in connection with a report of home invasion robbery in the 200 block of Lake Avenue.

A second woman who police believe was involved in the incident is still being sought. She is described as a white woman in her 20s. One Ithaca police officer was injured in the incident that unfolded about 8 a.m. Thursday.

Jameel C. Milton, 28, was charged with robbery obstruction of governmental administration, resisting arrest and criminal possession of a weapon. Elizabeth Minor, 33, was charged with robbery.

According to police reports, the robbery victim told officers the suspects entered his home about 8 a.m. and the male subject displayed a black handgun and demanded money and property, which the victim provided. The suspects fled the scene on foot. Ithaca police arrived at the Lake Avenue address and quickly located the male and one female suspect a short distance from the residence.

The female suspect was apprehended, but the male suspect ran from officers. During the course of the foot pursuit the suspect pulled what appeared to be a black semi-automatic pistol from his waist band, displaying the handgun as he fled from the officers.

The suspect ignored repeated orders from officers to stop and fled through back yards in the area of First and Second streets. The officers were forced to use a TASER to gain control of the suspect, who was apprehended on Second Street.

It was discovered that the suspect had disposed of the handgun during the foot pursuit and the weapon was located after a brief ground search. It was discovered that the handgun that was displayed was in fact a pellet gun designed as a replica of an actual handgun.

One police officer was treated by Bangs Ambulance for minor injuries he received during the foot pursuit. The Tompkins County Sheriff's Office assisted during the ground search with their K9 unit and responded to calls for service in the city during this incident.

Staff report
4:11 PM, Jul. 12, 2012

#1353081 --- 07/13/12 12:41 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

The furniture they piled in front of the door obviously wasn't heavy enough...probably some of that cheap resin furniture.

#1354404 --- 07/20/12 09:29 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: BigRed]
lodian Offline

Loc: Lodi, Seneca County
I agree that political correctness in Ithaca is a major factor. Children aren't taught to work for what they want. If the rich have it, then it is their duty to give it to the less fortunate and if they don't they will just take it. For instance, every time I have gone into Wegman's in Ithaca I have been physically hurt by employees or other shoppers because I guess I am too slow, in their way or simply don't care. A child pushed a shopping cart into my stomach. The mother said, oh look what you did. Did they say sorry or make the child acknowledge what they did and apologize - No. It didn't happen. If you aren't safe shopping for groceries, why would you think you would be safe on the streets? I don't live in Ithaca (thank you God) but it seems like if you want safer streets, someone needs to starts unlocking and unblocking the doors and start observing your community and reporting the happenings around you to police. Also, if you want children to act lawful and respectful of people and things, and property, this has to be taught at home and in schools. If the schools would call the police in when crime happens in school and the children suffer the consequences of their actions, maybe they wouldn't figure they got away with it in school, why not outside the school.

#1354407 --- 07/20/12 09:38 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: lodian]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth
Originally Posted By: lodian
Also, if you want children to act lawful and respectful of people and things, and property, this has to be taught at home and in schools.

I disagree with that. It should be taught solely at home. Schools are not supposed to be there to indoctrinate, but to educate. Don't confuse the two by implying an education should include how to act in public.

The schools our children go to are for learning academics. They should not be used like an obedience school that you would send your dog to.

#1354477 --- 07/20/12 01:56 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
newsman38 Offline

Police Probe Homeless Robbery/Assault
July 20, 2012 By Ed Sutherland Leave a Comment
ITHACA — A homeless 57-year-old white man was attacked and robbed while sleeping early Friday morning, police say. The unnamed resident of the city’s ‘Jungle’ homeless encampment was stabbed, his neck cut and his ATM card stolen.

The man was taken to a Syracuse hospital, where he is in guarded but stable condition. No suspect description was provided.

When police arrived at the ‘Jungle,’ in the area of 210 Cecil A. Malone Drive, the man was lying unconscious and bleeding near his tent. An investigation found he was sleeping alone in his tent when suddenly attacked without reason. After being cut with a sharp object several times, an ATM card was stolen and the alleged assailant fled the scene, police say.

#1354479 --- 07/20/12 01:58 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: lodian]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I agree that political correctness in Ithaca is a major factor. Children aren't taught to work for what they want. If the rich have it, then it is their duty to give it to the less fortunate and if they don't they will just take it. For instance, every time I have gone into Wegman's in Ithaca I have been physically hurt by employees or other shoppers because I guess I am too slow, in their way or simply don't care. A child pushed a shopping cart into my stomach. The mother said, oh look what you did. Did they say sorry or make the child acknowledge what they did and apologize - No. It didn't happen. If you aren't safe shopping for groceries, why would you think you would be safe on the streets? I don't live in Ithaca (thank you God) but it seems like if you want safer streets, someone needs to starts unlocking and unblocking the doors and start observing your community and reporting the happenings around you to police. Also, if you want children to act lawful and respectful of people and things, and property, this has to be taught at home and in schools. If the schools would call the police in when crime happens in school and the children suffer the consequences of their actions, maybe they wouldn't figure they got away with it in school, why not outside the school.

You cite being bumped by a shopping cart as a "for instance" of something being taken from you? Wow...who would have ever guessed? I sure hope your insurance was up to date, especially since you suffered physical hurt!

Since unlocking, unblocking, and keeping an eye on the city are your ideas, why don't you handle all of that, chief? Why don't you step up, take your own advice, and be that "someone"?

#1354557 --- 07/20/12 08:36 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
lodian Offline

I believe schools should educate children in all areas of their lives. Yes, I believe children ought to be taught how to act in public - be respectful, courteous. I would assume the teachers and educators would expect this treatment from the children attending school so the children know this is the correct way to act in public. I wasn't suggesting sending a child to school to get obedience training, but suggest the schools should expect the children to behave appropriately or suffer the consequences the same as they would in the outside world.

#1354558 --- 07/20/12 08:39 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
lodian Offline

And what makes you think I don't do that "chief"?

#1354560 --- 07/20/12 09:57 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Has anyone else noticed this sharp increase in crime in Tompkins County since VM moved there? Surely it must be a coincidence.

VM, you know I'm kidding, right? \:D

#1354712 --- 07/21/12 11:06 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: lodian]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

And what makes you think I don't do that "chief"?

Do you cruise the streets late at night, fighting crime, using your Super Powers only for good, sport?

If you happen to be having a slow night, would you help move some furniture? I've decided it would be a better strategy if I just kept a clear field of fire

#1354713 --- 07/21/12 11:14 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Has anyone else noticed this sharp increase in crime in Tompkins County since VM moved there? Surely it must be a coincidence.

The crime wave is entirely Kitty's doing. It must be...she goes to Ithaca at least 5 times a week. Sure looks fetching in the morning, though, as she bends over to move that pile of furniture...

#1356111 --- 07/29/12 10:15 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Sleeping person tied up in Ithaca as two men invade home and steal electronics

Ithaca Police are looking for two men who invaded a residence on the 400 block of N. Geneva Street Sunday morning and stole electronics.

Police say a light skinned black man wearing a dark t-shirt and shorts, and a dark skinned black man between 25-30 years old with a neatly trimmed goatee, close cropped hair, and wearing a dark blue shirt entered a ground floor residence and attempted to tie up a sleeping occupant.

The person woke up to one of the suspects displaying a silver colored handgun, while the other displayed a knife. The suspects stole a 19" TV, a Play Station 3 gaming console, a white Macbook latop computer, and an Iphone. They then fled the area.

by Tom Eschen
Posted: 07.29.2012 at 2:40 PM

#1356112 --- 07/29/12 10:41 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End

The crime wave is entirely Kitty's doing. It must be...she goes to Ithaca at least
5 times a week. Sure looks fetching in the morning, though, as she bends over to move that pile of furniture...

Maybe if newsman38 would stop feeding your paranoia low-hanging fruit
from the Tompkins police blotter Kitty could catch her breath. At least install
a lockbar for the door, instead of watching her stack the damn Ikea for chrisakes.

Namaste ;\)

#1356537 --- 08/01/12 01:53 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Teonan]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Okay, I'll restrict myself to watching her when she's catching her breath...that's nice, too.

Seriously, Ithaca's a great place...you wouldn't believe the deal I just got on a TV, a Play Station 3, a laptop, and an Iphone!

#1356556 --- 08/01/12 06:14 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
Teonan Offline

. Sounds like (staying on topic) a steal.

Cool find all kidding aside. Quality used items abound most anywhere around here it seems. Someone I know scored a Macbook 17 from a Collegetown freepile. Cosmetic damage only, works fine.

Just keep a sharp eye.

#1356982 --- 08/02/12 09:47 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Teonan]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Thefts Increase Over 2011

ITHACA — Robberies, burglaries and thefts have already topped that of 2011 — and this year is just half over, according to City of Ithaca Police Department statistics. For example, in just the first five months of 2012, there were 12 robberies reported, up from 11 during the entire previous year.

In another category, car thefts, the city likely will see a rise in the number of stolen autos after a reduction in 2011. In the first five months of 2012, nine motor vehicle thefts were reported, not counting the recent theft of a van carrying oxygen. In 2011, 10 motor vehicle thefts were reported. That was the lowest number of auto thefts reported in the city since at least 2008, according to IPD figures.

June and July have been particularly busy for Ithaca criminals. In July alone, there’s been one home invasion and robbery, a report of gun shots, a stolen van and an assault and robbery of a resident of the city’s homeless ‘Jungle’ encampment. In June, a stabbing happened, a forcible touching incident in Colletown, a hotel was robbed, as was a landmark local downtown magazine shop.

We’ve asked City of Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick whether the upswing in crime will prompt any changes in how the Ithaca Police Department does its job. So far, there’s been no reply.

July 29, 2012 By Ed Sutherland

#1360964 --- 08/27/12 11:39 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Originally Posted By: newsman38

Ithaca Police On the Lookout for robbery suspect

Ithaca Police say they are looking for a suspect in a robbery at a business in the Ithaca Commons in the 100 block of East State Street.

On Saturday at about 4:00 p.m. police say a man walked into the business, showed a knife and demanded cash. Police say he also told people in the store that he had a gun, but never showed one.

The suspect left the store with an undisclosed amount of money.

Police describe the suspect as being a middle-aged white male, approximately six feet tall and an average build.

2/26 12:10 am

Robbery investigation leads to arrest

ITHACA — Michael Freelove was arrested on Friday, Aug. 24 by the Ithaca Police Department, and taken into custody without incident.

The arrest came as the result of an investigation of an armed robbery of a business on the Ithaca Commons on Feb. 25, 2012.

Freelove was arraigned in Ithaca City court and remanded to the Tompkins County jail without bail. His next court date is scheduled for Aug. 29.

Staff report
August 27 2012

#1361048 --- 08/27/12 06:38 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
a report of gun shots,

If you persist in making people nervous, there are likely to be more such reports. Thanks a little. From the heart of my bottom. I've just moved the furniture pile...it's been replaced by a free fire zone.

Nobody should get that far, though; I've placed bear traps around the yard, baited with crack.

Which reminds me that people should reflect upon the fact that their government's drug war is driving much of this crime, whether it is the murders in Mexico, or the dude in Tompkins who steals your TV to pay for his outpriced (because black market) fix.

If they vote for anyone who wants to continue this insane policy, they are complicit in the results, all across this formerly freer country.

#1361055 --- 08/27/12 07:16 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Quote:
a report of gun shots,

If you persist in making people nervous, there are likely to be more such reports. Thanks a little. From the heart of my bottom. I've just moved the furniture pile...it's been replaced by a free fire zone.

Nobody should get that far, though; I've placed bear traps around the yard, baited with crack.

Which reminds me that people should reflect upon the fact that their government's drug war is driving much of this crime, whether it is the murders in Mexico, or the dude in Tompkins who steals your TV to pay for his outpriced (because black market) fix.

If they vote for anyone who wants to continue this insane policy, they are complicit in the results, all across this formerly freer country.

Smitty you need a few Claymores and a 50
HGWT

#1361056 --- 08/27/12 07:20 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Okay, I'll restrict myself to watching her when she's catching her breath...that's nice, too.

Seriously, Ithaca's a great place...you wouldn't believe the deal I just got on a TV, a Play Station 3, a laptop, and an Iphone!

Dude were they still hot & smoking?

#1361058 --- 08/27/12 07:26 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL!

#1362915 --- 09/07/12 04:56 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Two Men Arrested in Connection With Ithaca Murder in 2011

Ithaca police arrested a man Thursday in connection with the murder of Francisco “Rico” Santiago. Gary Lowe was apprehended after several months of ongoing investigation into Santiago’s death Dec. 1, 2011 at Chestnut Hill Apartments.

"A drug related robbery... resulted in the murder of Santiago,” according to an IPD press release.

Judge John Rowley authorized arrest warrants for Lowe and Lawrence Beauford Thursday, both for second-degree murder. Lowe was arraigned and sent to the Tompkins County Jail without bail Thursday afternoon. Beauford was already in detention by the New York State Department of Corrections in connection with another crime

September 7, 2012
By Jonathan Dawson

#1362994 --- 09/08/12 11:27 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I'm starting to feel unsafe. Should I join a well-armed theocratic militia? Do they even accept atheists? Perhaps they have auxiliaries, for those who don't quite meet their standards? I mean, I'd be glad to help with their bake sales, etc...I make a killer hot cross bun...

I'll await your reply. Meanwhile, I've got an oven and an Ithaca 37, 12 gauge, 20", straight cylinder pump to clean. Cleanliness and hospitality are the mark of a good home...

#1367785 --- 10/09/12 11:44 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Police: Woman with knife robs Byrne Dairy

City police are investigating the knife-point robbery of the Byrne Dairy store at 215 North Meadow St. late Monday.

At around 10:54 p.m., a white female entered the store, armed with a knife, and demanded money, police said. The clerk complied and the perpetrator fled with an undisclosed amount of cash and store items.

The investigation is ongoing. If anyone has any information about the case, they can call the Ithaca Police Department at (607) 272-9973.

7:18 AM, Oct. 9, 2012

#1371794 --- 11/03/12 11:57 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

#1372999 --- 11/12/12 08:06 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Wild Night: Ithaca Police respond to robberies

Sunday was a busy night for Ithaca police, who responded to several high-priority calls in little more than an hour.

At 6:42 p.m., a man with a knife attempted to rob the Byrne Dairy at 215 N. Meadow St., but fled without any money.

While police were looking for the man, at 6:51 p.m. they received a call reporting an armed robbery at the Citgo Gas Station, 600 N. Fulton St. During this second incident, the man displayed a knife and obtained an undisclosed amount of cash...l

Early Monday, police also responded to an attempted robbery at 2:47 a.m. at Tops Market and arrested a 39-year-old woman.

Wendy Kastenhuber, charged with first-degree attempted robbery, is accused of passing a note to an employee, demanding money and cigarettes. When Kastenhuber displayed a knife and threatened the employee, the latter sounded an alarm; Kastenhuber then fled the store with the employees in pursuit, and was located when officers arrived on the scene.

Police continue to investigate the attempted robbery and armed robbery that took place Sunday night. The perpetrator is described as a white male in his 40s, approximately 5 foot 9 to 5 foot 11, with brown hair graying on top. He was last seen wearing a black open-faced ski mask, camouflage shirt, and black jacket with white and black flannel patterned on the inside, as well as a light gray hoody underneath his jacket, blue jeans or dark colored pants.

Anyone with information is asked to call Ithaca Police at (607) 272-3245 or the IPD Tip Line at (607) 697-0333.

the Ithaca Journal
11/12/12

#1373149 --- 11/13/12 12:01 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
I did it! Offline

Damn stupid woman.Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Now what if the clerk or another innocent shopper had a CCW?
Oh BOY!

#1375574 --- 12/03/12 10:12 AM 27% Increase in Robberies [Re: I did it!]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Sees 27% Hike in Robberies, Ending 3-Year Decline

ITHACA — Robberies in the city increased 27 percent during the first half of 2012, ending a three-year decline, according to the latest figures released by the Ithaca Police Department. There were 14 robberies during the first six months of this year, compared to 11 for all of 2011.

In another unsettling statistic, the number of burglaries committed in the first half of 2012 are already 71 percent of the level committed in all of 2011. There were 94 burglaries and break-ins between January and June of 2012 compared to 132 for all of 2011, according to statistics compiled by the New York State Department of Criminal Justice Services and the Ithaca Police Department.

December 2, 2012 By Ed Sutherland

#1375585 --- 12/03/12 11:13 AM Re: 27% Increase in Robberies [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Jeeze...just when I'd decided that it's not safe to keep a loaded gun in this house...should I reload?

#1375592 --- 12/03/12 12:39 PM Re: 27% Increase in Robberies [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

a empty weapon is worthless. Baseball bats at every door.

#1376728 --- 12/10/12 09:18 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Armed Robber Hits Lansing Mobile

Tompkins County Sheriff’s are searching for a man suspected of robbing a gas station on Triphammer Road Saturday night. The man grabbed cigarettes after displaying a large knife to the cashier, authorities say.

The man is described as slender, wearing boots, jeans, a camouflage hooded jacket, gloves and a white cloth covering his face.

The Sheriff’s office is asking anyone with information to call an anonymous tip line at (607) 266-5420.

December 9, 2012 By Ed Sutherland

#1376828 --- 12/10/12 06:42 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

The Gangs of Ithaca are getting closer...egad...Lusi should be all over this...

Okay, I've reloaded the guns. I'm still a little worried that the moat might freeze solid enough to be breached by home invaders, though.

And to make it worse, this perp happens to be "slender"...now that I've lost 40 lbs, I may as well paint a bull's eye on my back... \:\(

C'mon...I'm old; I've got one foot in the grave, and Obomber's doing his best to start a nuke war. I don't even buy green bananas anymore. I've got quite enough things to worry about as it is...don't you have any happy news to share?

Edited by VM Smith (12/10/12 06:55 PM)

#1376834 --- 12/10/12 07:04 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

I've got quite enough things to worry about as it is...don't you have any happy news to share?

Cornell Maya expert: World probably won't end Dec. 21

#1376835 --- 12/10/12 07:04 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood
Armed Robber Hits Lansing Mobile

Tompkins County Sheriff’s are searching for a man suspected of robbing a gas station on Triphammer Road Saturday night. The man grabbed cigarettes after displaying a large knife to the cashier, authorities say.

The man is described as slender, wearing boots, jeans, a camouflage hooded jacket, gloves and a white cloth covering his face.

The Sheriff’s office is asking anyone with information to call an anonymous tip line at (607) 266-5420.

December 9, 2012 By Ed Sutherland

I believe this happened a few months ago...I talked with the girl that was there; unless, it happened again

#1376836 --- 12/10/12 07:08 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Kitty]
newsman38 Offline

Originally Posted By: Kitty
Saturday night

#1376857 --- 12/10/12 08:50 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I've got quite enough things to worry about as it is...don't you have any happy news to share?

Cornell Maya expert: World probably won't end Dec. 21

What a bunch of crap! Anyone who has the slightest familiarity with the literature knows that this scare story is based on a faulty translation of the Mayan calendar, and that the world hasn't the slightest chance of ending until the 27th, which is almost a week later.

By my calendar, anyway.

Kudos to the Prof...we can't let those sneaky, Godless Mayans get away with this joke cruel joke on us Good Americans.

Say...do they have any oil? Is MayaLand near Iran?

#1376894 --- 12/11/12 07:52 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Kitty]
Hot Burrito Offline

Loc: Tiajuna Flats
Quote:

If only tobacco were legal we wouldn't have robberies like this...oh wait...

#1376971 --- 12/11/12 03:08 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Hot Burrito]
I did it! Offline

Wouldn't happen if the clerk had a CCW permit.
How many leagl CCW permit owners carry daily?

GOD BLESS CSA. "Colt Side Arms"
and my late dad "Ciro Samual Alongi"

#1378089 --- 12/18/12 07:28 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: I did it!]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Man Charged with Robbery, Resisting Arrest

ITHACA — Ithaca city police Monday arrested a 21-year-old man in connection with a Sunday evening robbery at the intersection of North Cayuga Street and Lincoln Street. According to police, the man took a cell phone from the pocket of an unnamed female. Despite an order of protection, she claims the man punched, kicked and bit her.

Sunday, at 6:56 pm, officers responded to multiple reports of a domestic disturbance at the intersection of North Cayuga and Lincoln Streets.

Joaquin A. Jones, 21, was charged with third-degree robbery, first-degree criminal contempt, resisting arrest, third-degree menacing, second-degree harassment and disorderly conduct.

According to police, Jones was arrested at 8:07 pm on Fairgrounds Memorial Parkway, an area dotted with big-box stores. After a struggle, officers put the suspect in custody and he was arraigned in Ithaca City Court and sent to Tompkins County Jail without bail.

December 17, 2012 By Ed Sutherland

#1378185 --- 12/18/12 02:17 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Despite an order of protection, she claims the man punched, kicked and bit her.

An OP. Just one more law which had no restraining effect on a violent person. He could well have killed her. If I were her, I'd be carrying a gun.

#1385067 --- 01/28/13 03:59 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Sheriff's deputies seeking cab-robbery suspect

ITHACA – Tompkins County Sheriff’s deputies are looking for a male suspected of robbing a Cayuga Taxi driver at gunpoint here late Saturday evening.

The driver arrived at 100 Graham Road to pick up a passenger sometime before 11:26 p.m., sheriff’s officials said. The suspect got in the cab, brandished a handgun and demanded money from the driver.

The driver handed over an undisclosed amount of cash and the suspect fled, the officials said. The suspect is described as about 6 feet tall, about 200 lbs., clad in a black hooded jacket and black or blue colored jeans.

Anyone with information regarding the alleged incident is asked to contact the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office at 607-257-1345 or the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office Anonymous Tip line at 607-266-5420.

#1385181 --- 01/29/13 07:21 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Gunshots Reportedly Fired in Collegetown; Man Treated for Injuries

Shots were reportedly fired in the northern edge of Collegetown early Tuesday morning, police said. A man was treated for gunshot wounds to the buttocks about 35 minutes after the gunfire in Collegetown was reported, and he is now in stable condition.

At about 1:30 a.m., police received a 911 call notifying them of "possible shots fired in the area of Oak Ave[nue] and of a dark-colored sedan leaving the area."

The Ithaca Police Department and Cornell University Police Department spoke with multiple residents "who all heard the sound of four or five gunshots," according to the IPD. At the time, police searched the area but did not find any suspects.

At approximately 2:05 a.m., Bangs Ambulance and IPD officers responded to 503 Hancock St. — approximately 1.5 miles away from Oak Avenue — for a 22-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the buttocks, according to the IPD. 

The man, who was conscious, alert and walking, "also confirmed that the incident occurred in the area of 100 Oak Avenue, but would not provide any further information," police said.

Police are continuing to investigate the incident. 

#1385693 --- 02/01/13 07:25 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca stabbing, robbery suspect arrested

An Ithaca teenager has been arrested in connection with a savage knife-attack robbery of a middle-aged woman early Wednesday evening on Seneca Street.

Y-nasia O. Adams, 19, stabbed the victim in the hand and head with a black-handled paring knife, pushed her to the ground, kicked her in the lower back and fled with the victim’s purse, which contained her credit cards, court papers allege. Police charged Adams with first-degree robbery, second-degree assault, fourth-degree grand larceny and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, all felonies.

The incident occurred on the south side of West Seneca Street at about 6:30 p.m., according to court papers.

As the victim crossed Albany Street into the 300 block of West Seneca Street, she saw a medium skinned black male or female, clad in a light-colored hooded sweatshirt, running toward her, court papers said.

The person then bumped into her and yelled, “give me your purse!” the victim recalled. Thinking the person was joking, the victim refused, court papers said. The person then “approached very close” to the victim’s face and repeated the demand.

“I observed a knife in the right hand of the subject and realized the incident was not a joke,” the victim said. “I clutched my purse tight and screamed loudly.” She then felt a blow to the back of her head.

Using the hand that was holding the knife, the suspect began punching the victim in the head as she screamed, court papers said. She raised her left hand defensively and saw that the knife had a small silver blade.

“The subject continued to strike me with the knife at least three times,” the victim recalled.

“As I attempted to block the blows from my face, I felt my left hand being cut by the knife.”

The suspect then pushed her down, kicked her in the back, grabbed her purse from underneath her body, struck her with it and fled into the Department of Social Services (DSS) parking lot, court papers said.

“I continued screaming throughout the incident,” the victim said. In addition to a Tompkins Trust Company debit card, a Cornell Federal Credit Union debit card and an Orchard Bank Master Card, the purse held the victim’s wallet, checkbook and driver’s license.

Noticing some bystanders in the DSS parking lot, the victim rose, walked over and asked one of them to call the police. The bystanders asked if she was hurt, and one of them said that he’d given chase but failed to catch her assailant.

The victim was taken to Cayuga Medical Center where she was treated for several lacerations to her left index finger and middle finger, and a nearly inch-long gash on the back of her head. Using the description, Ithaca Police located Adams a short distance away and arrested her.

Adams was arraigned in Ithaca City Court and sent to Tompkins County Jail in lieu of $10,000 bail. Her preliminary felony hearing is scheduled for next week.

Written by
| By Raymond Drumsta
6:51 PM, Jan 31, 2013

Pizza delivery driver reports gunpoint robbery in Lansing

Tompkins County Sheriff’s deputies are looking for two men suspected of robbing a pizza delivery driver at gunpoint Thursday evening in Lansing.

The incident occurred sometime before 8 p.m., sheriff’s officials said. The driver was delivering pizza to a Graham Road apartment when two men approached him in the parking lot, brandished pistols and demanded money, they said.

They then fled with an undisclosed amount of money. The first suspect is described as being white, about 6-foot tall, medium build, and possibly in his early 20s. The suspect was clad in a black colored hooded jacket and dark colored blue jeans. No description was provided by the victim on the second subject other than he was a male.

Feb. 1, 2013 9:25 AM
Written by
Raymond Drumsta

#1388245 --- 02/21/13 11:01 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Man Pleads Guilty to Byrne Dairy Robbery

ITHACA — A 39-year-old city man faces up to two years in prison after Wednesday pleading guilty to robbing the Byrne Dairy store in May 2012.

James N. Alexander entered the plea to second-degree robbery after he was charged last year with robbing the Meadow Street location of $235 and threatening to shoot the store clerk.

By: ED SUTHERLAND | 8 MINS AGO

#1388375 --- 02/21/13 11:42 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Yikes! This is getting serious. What caliber gun do you recommend that I buy?

#1388652 --- 02/24/13 09:46 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
dunderhead Offline

Loc: somewhere around here
I can remember when it was a beautiful safe place to live. Now it is all big city problems. In the mid 90's my front door was crashed in by 2 punks that wanted to rob my home. They did not realize I was home. Busted one with a golf club, the other ran like a little girl. IPD caught them both a few hours later. Both got probation and were out roaming the street in less than 60 days. Once upon a time you could walk any street in Ithaca at any hour and be completely safe. It just shows all good things do come to an end. After 25 years in Ithaca, I contemplate moving back to the Bronx. Statistically, my family would be safer in the big city. Sad.....

#1388665 --- 02/24/13 12:23 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: dunderhead]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
Political correctness has been eating away at the city for about twenty years. You have a judge that coddles criminals, a county legislature that mandates early release programs, a DA who ducks the hard cases and a series of mayors who don't want to ruffle the feathers of the professional victims, all combined with a criminal element that knows pacifists are easy pickings.

#1388721 --- 02/24/13 06:24 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: dunderhead]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Both got probation and were out roaming the street in less than 60 days.

And probably robbing other people, some of whom might be unlucky enough to die. OTOH, if you'd just shot them...oh, so sorry...that's politically incorrect. After all, they may have had imperfect childhoods...

#1391269 --- 03/11/13 10:36 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police arrested a man Thursday in connection with the murder of Francisco “Rico” Santiago. Gary Lowe was apprehended after several months of ongoing investigation into Santiago’s death Dec. 1, 2011 at Chestnut Hill Apartments.

"A drug related robbery... resulted in the murder of Santiago,” according to an IPD press release.

Judge John Rowley authorized arrest warrants for Lowe and Lawrence Beauford Thursday, both for second-degree murder. Lowe was arraigned and sent to the Tompkins County Jail without bail Thursday afternoon. Beauford was already in detention by the New York State Department of Corrections in connection with another crime

September 7, 2012
By Jonathan Dawson

Jury selection to start in Ithaca murder case

#1393780 --- 03/25/13 11:57 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Burglar Grabs Prescription Meds from Chestnut Street Apartment

Ithaca, NY — Ithaca police Friday night are looking for a man who snatched prescription medicine from a Chestnut Street apartment. The female resident apparently chased the burglar out of her apartment before the man could also make off with her purse and cash.

According to police, the man is described as white, in his twenties, with a thin build and clean shaven. The suspect was wearing white sneakers and lime green medical gloves, they said.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Ithaca Police Department at (607) 272-3245.

By: ED SUTHERLAND | March 22, 2013

#1398471 --- 04/22/13 06:41 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca pedestrian shot three times

ITHACA — A 26-year-old Ithaca man has hit by three bullets late Sunday as he walked home, city police said.

At around 10:48 p.m., the 26-year-old was walking on the 200 block of Elm Street when he was shot, police said. The suspect, described as a black man with a small build and traveling on foot, fired four to five shots with a small caliber handgun, police said.

Bangs Ambulance took the victim to Sayre, Pa., for medical treatment. His injuries aren’t believed to be life-threatening, police said.

Anyone with information on the incident can contact Ithaca police at (607) 272-9973. The investigation is continuing

#1399173 --- 04/26/13 11:39 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Couple accused of jumping man, stealing wallet

CITY OF ITHACA — A South Geneva Street couple are facing felony third-degree robbery charges after they were accused of jumping a man and stealing his wallet on South Cayuga Street, city police said.

Around 9 p.m. Wednesday, the victim asked 34-year-old Kimberly S. Larkin and 37-year-old Leaddice J. Daniels where he could buy a pack of cigarettes. Daniels told the victim to follow him and Larkin to the store two blocks away, city police said.

All three walked into the store, where the victim purchased cigarettes. Once outside, the man asked the couple for directions to the north side of the city. The couple walked the victim toward the Holiday Inn, where Daniels pushed the victims up against the wall near the parking lot entrance while Larkin stole the victim’s wallet, police said.

The victim gave police a description of the couple, who were apprehended about a block away from where the alleged incident occurred.

Larkin and Daniels were arraigned and sent to the Tompkins County jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 property bond.

Written by
Jennifer Micale
@PSBJennifer

#1402947 --- 05/28/13 07:40 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

#1403067 --- 05/29/13 06:18 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police: Man broke into Blair St. home, touched resident

CITY OF ITHACA — City police are looking for a man who allegedly cut a screen to enter a Blair Street home and then forcibly touched a female resident there.

Shortly before 1 a.m. Wednesday, the victim woke to find a man standing over her bed, attempting to put a hand down her pants, police said. She fought off his advances and he fled out the front door.

The victim wasn’t physically injured and no weapon was shown or threatened, police said. The perpetrator allegedly entered the home through an unlocked window, cutting a screen.

The incident occurred on the 100 block of Blair Street. While police searched the area and questioned several people, no suspects were identified.

The perpetrator is described as a man around 6 feet tall with a slender build, short beard or unshaven face, wearing a dark puffy jacket, police said. Anyone with information is asked to call the Ithaca Police Department at (607) 272-9973.

#1403096 --- 05/29/13 11:08 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

This woman could have easily been raped and/or killed. It is a disservice to the people of the city, and most particularly to the neighborhood residents, not to report the suspect's race, which the victim probably knew, since she noticed other facial details.

FI, if the perp is thought to be white, on very good evidence, that would immediately eliminate 26% of Ithaca residents as suspects, and make it easier for area residents to focus on suspicious activity by whites, in the effort to safeguard themselves.

Perhaps this is easier to comprehend from out here in the reality zone which surrounds Ithaca.

Edited by VM Smith (05/29/13 11:12 AM)

#1403745 --- 06/04/13 11:48 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Early morning Ithaca burglary results in arrest

A resident in the 300 block of Pleasant Street was awakened around 6 a.m. by noise in his residence. When he checked it out he encountered the suspect, who then fled. The victim described the suspect to the officers as a black male about 6 feet tall and wearing a black jacket and jeans.

Shortly thereafter the police located Angel Arce, 48, of Ithaca, who fit the description; the victim positively identified him as the person who was in his residence.

During the booking process property belonging to the victim was recovered from Arce’s pants pockets. Arce was charged with second-degree burglary, a class C felony; fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property; and fourth-degree criminal mischief.

Arce is currently in Ithaca police custody awaiting arraignment.

9:48 AM, Jun 4, 2013

#1404215 --- 06/07/13 05:29 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

2 convicted in Ithaca house invasion, robbery

ITHACA — Two city residents were convicted Friday in connection with a home invasion and robbery on Lake Avenue last summer, according to Tompkins County District Attorney Gwen Wilkinson’s office.

Jameel “Tookie” Melton, 30, and Elizabeth Minor, 34, were convicted by a jury this week of multiple counts of robbery including first degree, petit larceny and conspiracy in the fourth degree stemming from the home invasion and armed robbery that occurred on July 12. Cash, jewelry, a computer and other belongings were stolen from the victim. The defendants were apprehended that same evening by City of Ithaca police.

Both Melton and Minor are scheduled to be sentenced on Aug. 14.

6:10 PM, Jun 7, 2013

#1404299 --- 06/08/13 11:32 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police searching for suspicious person who grabbed woman on Linden Avenue

Ithaca police are searching for a man who tried to attack a woman early Saturday morning.

Around 2:10 a.m., the woman was walking alone from College Avenue and Dryden Road to her home in the 100 block of Linden Avenue when she was grabbed by an unknown man, police said.

As she reached for her front door, the suspect grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her into the door. The woman threw an elbow back to the suspect, hitting him in the face. She then ran to a friend's house located at 301 College Ave., police said.

No threats were made and no weapons were shown, police said. The woman was not injured in the incident.

The suspect is described as a man in his twenties around 5-feet-10 inches tall. He has light colored hair and was wearing light clothing.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Ithaca Police Department at 607-272-9973.

By Sistina Giordano | sgiordano@syracuse.com

on June 08, 2013 at 9:01 AM

#1409755 --- 07/19/13 06:49 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca robbers sentenced

In Ithaca, a man and woman are sentenced for home invasion robbery.

Back in July of 2012, Jameel Melton,30, and Elizabeth Minor, 34, broke into a house on Lake Avenue.

Minor had posed as a prostitute to find out how much money was in the victims home.

After she left, her and Melton returned to rob the home.

Both were convicted in early June of first degree robbery based on use of a pistol, and robbery in the second degree.

Minor is sentenced to 7 years of incarceration and Melton was sentenced to 8 years incarceration.

By Conor Mooney

Credit: MGN Online
July 19, 2013
Updated Jul 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM EDT

#1409802 --- 07/20/13 07:02 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Minor had posed as a prostitute to find out how much money was in the victims home.

Posing as a hooker? What does that entail? Having sex for money, but giving it back before you rob the guy, because you're not really the type that has sex for money?

#1412550 --- 08/13/13 03:24 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

After Surge in Crime, Former MLB All-Star Funds Extra Police Patrols in Ithaca

A former Major League Baseball all-star player has given the City of Ithaca $12,000 to increase police patrols around a crime-ridden apartment complex, Ithaca Police said Tuesday.

Former MLB player Mo Vaughn and his business partner, Eugene Schneur, own the West Village Apartment complex on Ithaca's West Hill. The neighborhood has been the site of several violent attacks, including multiple stabbings whose victims have refused to cooperate with police and the shooting of an on-duty Ithaca Police officer in the fall.

The Ithaca Police Department said in a statement Tuesday that it would immediately send out officers in teams of two to conduct extra patrols around the West Village Apartment complex. It will encourage officers to patrol on foot, rather than drive around the perimeter, in the hopes of making headway on investigations stalled by silent witnesses.

"We are committed to continuing the hard work that is involved in restoring the West Hill to a vibrant place to live, work and grow," Ithaca Police Chief John Barber said in a statement. "This additional funding will put officers on the streets up there, and that will enable us to better improve the service that we provide to the Ithaca community as a whole."

The West Village Apartment complex is just one of hundreds of properties Vaughn and Schneur own. The pair has bought and developed affordable housing projects in New York, Massachusetts and Wyoming through their real estate company, Omni New York LLC.

AUGUST 13, 2013
BY AKANE OTANI

#1413429 --- 08/20/13 09:15 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Syracuse Man Arrested for Allegedly Stealing Television From Collegetown Apartment - See more at: http://www.cornellsun.com/section/news/c...h.LK4rqPYP.dpuf

#1413435 --- 08/20/13 09:31 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
Teonan Offline

Slow news day homie?

#1413461 --- 08/20/13 10:42 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
cwjga Offline

Loc: NY
Ithaca: 10 square miles surrounded by reality.

#1413466 --- 08/20/13 11:37 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: cwjga]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: cwjga

cwjga: broken record.

#1413596 --- 08/21/13 10:00 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
cwjga Offline

cwjga: broken record.

Wow I am impressed. You can copy quotes. Good for you. Is that a new skill.

Glad you agree.

Edited by cwjga (08/21/13 10:02 AM)

#1416390 --- 09/09/13 06:23 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: cwjga]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Police looking for street robbery suspect

According to the Ithaca Police Department, at about 11:46 p.m. Sunday night, officers responded to the report of a robbery on the South Hill portion of the City of Ithaca.

The victim told police that he was walking on South Hill Terrace when a man approached him and demanded all of his property.

Police say the victim gave the man his property, after which the suspect ran away.

No weapon was presented or threatened.

According to police, the victim described the suspect as a 5’10” white man, about 170 lbs, and wearing dark clothing.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Ithaca Police Department at (607) 272-3245.

#1418218 --- 09/20/13 01:16 PM Naked man in burglary [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Naked man arrested for Ithaca burglary

ITHACA — City police officers arrested a naked man who was running from the scene of a break in early Friday morning.

The Ithaca Police Department responded to the report of a smashed-out front door at a business in the 700 block of West Buffalo Street.

“Officers arrived on scene and observed the defendant, later identified as Stephen Perll, running from the scene. Perll was naked,” a new release said.

Perll, 29, of Missouri, ran to a boat docked in the nearby Cayuga Inlet, according to police. Officers found Perll, and arrested him.

Officers found property damage, clothes and a bus ticket inside the Audio Hearing Aid Center, 704 W. Buffalo St., the break-in site, IPD Public Information Officer Jamie Williamson said.

Perll exhibited alarming behavior during the booking process, leading police to fear for his well being, Williamson said.

Perll was taken to nearby hospital for a mental health evaluation, and he is in police custody awaiting arraignment.

Perll was charged with a felony count of burglary and misdemeanor count of criminal mischief. Other charges are pending police investigation, police said.

#1418630 --- 09/24/13 07:56 AM Re: Naked man in burglary [Re: newsman38]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA
I am not sure about the validity of this story?

City police officers arrested a naked man who was running from the scene of a break in early Friday morning.

Rumor bar room talk said the wife's husband came home from work early and the perpetrator did not have time to get fully clothed?

I am considering it as a rumor but was a funny explanation of running naked through the streets.

#1419306 --- 09/28/13 08:59 AM Gun in mouth during robbery [Re: young guns]
newsman38 Offline

Rifle put in Tompkins County man's mouth as three suspects rob him

Ithaca, N.Y. -- An armed robber put a rifle inside the mouth of an Ithaca man while two other suspects took his wallet and cell phone.

The man was walking from the West Village Apartments to Ithaca's downtown at about 10:30 p.m. when a white sedan stopped near him. The three men then got out of the car, attacked him and fled the scene, at the intersection of Elm Street and the access road to the apartment complex.

The victim sustained minor scratches during the robbery. Ithaca police are investigating the incident and are asking anyone with information to call 607-272-3245.

#1424336 --- 10/30/13 08:33 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Suspect located in Ithaca armed robbery

ITHACA — A woman was robbed at gunpoint in the parking lot near the Econo Lodge off of Triphammer Road around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies responded to the scene and located the suspect in the vicinity of the Pizza Hut where he was apprehended.

No injuries were reported. Details about charges were unavailable early Wednesday evening.

Written by
| Staff report
@ithacajournal

#1425152 --- 11/07/13 07:29 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Woman has laptop stolen; Cornell police search for suspect

Cornell University police are still looking for a suspect they say robbed a woman early Monday evening.

Police say it happened around 6 p.m. in the 200 block of Maple Avenue.

A female told police she was confronted by a man who pushed her to the ground and took her laptop, and then ran in the direction of nearby apartments.

The suspect was described as a black male, six feet tall, about 230 pounds, with short braids and a scruffy beard.

Police say there was no mention of a weapon during the robbery.

Posted on November 5, 2013 by Greg Fry

#1425922 --- 11/14/13 11:26 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Student Allegedly Behind North Campus Robberies Pleads ‘Not Guilty’

Byung Jun Lee, 21, a student arrested Saturday for allegedly breaking into three North Campus houses, pleaded “not guilty” in the Ithaca City Court Tuesday.

Lee is a student in the College of Arts and Science, according to Cornell’s online directory. He was charged with three counts of burglary, criminal mischief and obstructing after Saturday’s incidents.

Lee has been released from police custody but is under the supervision of the Tompkins Probation Department, according to the Ithaca Independent. Lee will undergo a hearing with Judge Judith Rossiter J.D. ’86 Thursday to determine if there is probable cause.

On Saturday, police received a phone call from a woman who said she had seen Lee in her residence earlier that day.Lee allegedly attempted to enter an apartment on Thurston Avenue around 3 a.m., but fled when police were called.

Lee was caught at 300 Wyckoff Ave. early Saturday, The Sun previously reported.

NOVEMBER 14, 2013 1:00 AM0 COMMENTS
By KEVIN MILIAN

#1426349 --- 11/19/13 10:21 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Suspect in custody after attempted armed robbery on Cornell campus

ITHACA — A Cornell University employee was confronted at knifepoint at about 4:53 p.m. Tuesday near the Synapsis Cafe in Weill Hall on the Cornell campus, according to a news release from the university.

According to the Cornell University Police Department, the suspect displayed a knife while demanding cash, and then attempted to push the employee into an elevator. The victim them reportedly broke away, yelled for help and escaped out a nearby door, the release said.

A witness overheard the employee’s calls and intervened, called police and attempted to stop the perpetrator. The perpetrator fled on foot, but was located and apprehended by Cornell Police.

#1429689 --- 12/16/13 10:47 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca daytime burglaries prompt more police patrols: Entry has been made through unlocked doors and unlocked windows, as well as by forcing entry into the residence, according to police. These incidents have primarily occurred when residents were not home; however, some have occurred while the residence was occupied.

#1430358 --- 12/23/13 04:24 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Police Search for Suspect in Early Morning Strong-Arm Robbery

Ithaca Police are searching for a suspect tied to a strong-arm robbery that they say occurred early Monday morning on the 500 block of West State Street.

A male victim told police that, at around 3 a.m., a male subject in his twenties approached him and asked for a cigarette. The suspect then allegedly demanded the victim turn over his property, moving his hand around in his jacket pocket in a manner “similar to a person pointing a gun,” the Ithaca Police Department said in a press release.

The victim handed over his wallet, cell phone, backpack, jacket and other items. At that point, the male suspect allegedly made sexual advances toward the victim, IPD said.

The victim shoved the suspect, and the suspect fled on foot from the scene. Although the suspect never displayed a weapon, the victim told police that the suspect mentioned he had a handgun.

Police are continuing to investigate the incident. They described the suspect as being a black male who is about 5’9″ tall, weighs approximately 130 pounds, is clean shaven with short hair and was last seen wearing an orange puffy jacket with dark clothes underneath.

DECEMBER 23, 2013 5:01 PM0 COMMENTS
By AKANE OTANI

#1430512 --- 12/26/13 08:16 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
young guns Offline

Loc: USA

Ithaca is done people will be leaving soon. Enough is enough.
What is the police doing about all this crime?

#1431029 --- 01/01/14 11:06 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: young guns]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Criminals Taking Advantage of Fewer Patrols

Ithaca’s top cop — John Barber — released a statement admitting crime is up in the city. The reason? Perhaps it’s a 25 percent drop in police officers over the past decade.

Aside from the obligatory note on Ithaca being named “safest small city in the U.S.” (factors of which include weather, foreclosure rates and terrorist attacks), Barber came clean with Ithaca residents who already know the college town is not as safe as it once was.

“As it stands now there are approximately 25% fewer police officers working at [the Ithaca Police Department] than 10 years ago,” the Police Chief said. In other words, for every three police officers now patrolling the city, there were four in 2004.

During the October budget negotiations, Barber lost the argument to add six officers. A compromise by the Ithaca Common Council for two additional officers was vetoed by City of Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick.

DECEMBER 27, 2013 BY ED SUTHERLAND

#1432403 --- 01/12/14 08:18 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police catch attempted robbery suspect

Ithaca police officers caught an attempted robbery suspect as he was running from the scene of the crime.

Police said they chased Steven J. Happel, 21, Brooktondale, as he was running across South Meadow Street.

Officers found him hiding in a dumpster and arrested him.

According to Ithaca Police, Happel entered a convenience store on the 200 block of North Meadow Avenue and approached the counter with a concealed object under his sweatshirt.

Happel allegedly pointed the object at the cashier and threatened to shoot unless the cashier handed over money.

The cashier hit the panic alarm. Police said Happel ripped it out of the cashier's hand and fled.

Updated Jan 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM EST

#1433215 --- 01/19/14 10:23 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes?

Could be. In 2010, fi, Ithaca's robbry rate was considerably higher than Geneva's.

#1433220 --- 01/19/14 11:03 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Quote:
Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes?

Could be. In 2010, fi, Ithaca's robbry rate was considerably higher than Geneva's.

I wonder how many atheists live in Geneva vs. Ithaca. wink

#1433250 --- 01/20/14 07:59 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

IDK, but I'll bet the % is about the same. There's only one atheist meetup in Ithaca, and last week 8 attended the monthly meeting.

One thing for sure...the great majority of the criminals are believers. laugh

#1436564 --- 02/14/14 11:48 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police: Two Women Charged with Robbing Downtown Restaurant

Two women were arrested Tuesday and charged with robbery, City of Ithaca police announced today. The two women are suspected of taking a tip jar from a restaurant in the 100 block of East State Street.

Police say 20-year-old Nateah Ellison and 36-year-old BobbiJo Craft were arrested at about 11:33 p.m. Tuesday night after a victim reportedly saw the two women take the tip jar and then flee after a brief struggle. Police stopped Craft and Ellison, charging them with second-degree robbery.

After being arraigned in Ithaca City Court Wednesday morning, the two defendants were taken to Tompkins County Jail. Craft was not granted bail. Ellison is in custody on $5,000 cash bail, City of Ithaca police say.

By: ED SUTHERLAND | February 12, 2014

#1437379 --- 02/21/14 10:03 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Tops gas station robbed

The Tops Friendly Markets gas station in Lansing was robbed at 3:43 p.m. Wednesday, and state police are requesting assistance to locate the suspect.

Feb. 20, 2014

#1437927 --- 02/25/14 03:46 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Better round up the usual suspects. Is there an all-points bulletin out for theists yet?

#1439425 --- 03/08/14 10:53 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Sheriff's Department investigating armed robbery at east hill Rite Aid
March 9, 2014

Two men armed with handguns robbed the Rite Aid pharmacy near East Hill Plaza early on Saturday evening, says the Tompkins County Sheriff's Department. No one was injured in the incident, which occurred at around 6pm.

Investigators say store staff reported two men entered and robbed the store before fleeing. One man was described as wearing a black jacket with green hood, dark-colored pajama bottoms with white lettering, and a white ski mask covering his face. The other man was wearing a black jacket with green hood, light khaki pants, and a black ski mask covering his face.

Store employees say the pair fled the store towards Agava Restaurant, and then drove west on Mitchell Street in a light-colored SUV. The store is on Pine Tree Road in the Town of Ithaca southeast of the Cornell University campus, on the site formerly occupied by Ide's Bowling. Sheriff's Department investigators ask anyone with information about the robbery to contact them at 607-257-1345.

#1442017 --- 03/28/14 09:56 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police search for 2 suspects after Ithaca carjacking: Volvo SUV last seen headed toward Elmira

Edited by newsman38 (03/28/14 09:57 AM)

#1443298 --- 04/04/14 10:50 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

3 arrested in marijuana sale robbery in Ithaca

A marijuana sale that went awry resulted in three men being arrested on robbery charges Thursday and Friday in Ithaca.

Ithaca police were called about 10:19 p.m. to the 100 block of East Spencer Street regarding a robbery that had just occurred. The robbery victim reported that he had agreed to sell marijuana to a subject. When the drug deal was supposed to occur, three males forced their way into his residence and stole items, police said.

Officers recovered evidence from the scene as well as in the neighborhood, including some of the items that were stolen. Shortly after the incident occurred, the three subjects, all of Ithaca, were located in the area of Cayuga Medical Center by the New York State Police and the Tompkins County Sheriffs Department. Two were identified as Eric M. Benjamin, 28, and John M. Oliver, 19, police said.

About 2:30 p.m. Friday, the third subject, Cruz E. Colon, 24, was located and taken into custody. Benjamin, Oliver, and Colon were each charged with first-degree robbery and first-degree burglary, both felonies. The three were arraigned in Ithaca City Court Friday and taken to the Tompkins County Jail with bail set at $10,000 cash or $20,000 bond.

7:20 PM, Apr 4, 2014 |
ithacajournal.com

#1444028 --- 04/09/14 10:21 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Teen arrested in carjacking incident

A 17-year-old Ithaca woman was arrested and charged Wednesday with robbery, kidnapping and other offenses in connection with a reported carjacking March 28, according to the Ithaca Police Department.

Emily N. Morris was arrested without incident in the 200 block of East State/Martin Luther King Jr. Street on a warrant, acording to the police. She was arraigned in Ithaca City Cuort on charges of first-degree robbery, seond-degree kidnaping, first-degree unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and third-degree grand larceny. She was held at the Tompkins County jail on $25,000 cash bail or $50,000 bond, and is due back in court April 15.

In the incident that led to the arrest, a driver told police that shortly before 2 a.m March 28, he was in a parking lot on State/MLK Street when a woman appeared at the driver’s window and pointed a gun at him and ordered him to the passenger seat. She got in the driver’s seat and a male got in the back and pressed a gun to his head as the woman drove away. They let him out on Applegate Road and headed toward Elmira.

#1445285 --- 04/20/14 08:47 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Suspects sought in attempted robbery: Ithaca Police are seeking three suspects in connection with an attempted robbery that took place in the 200 block of Willow Ave. on Saturday night.

#1445356 --- 04/21/14 02:11 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
cwjga Offline

3 arrested in marijuana sale robbery in Ithaca

A marijuana sale that went awry resulted in three men being arrested on robbery charges Thursday and Friday in Ithaca.

Ithaca police were called about 10:19 p.m. to the 100 block of East Spencer Street regarding a robbery that had just occurred. The robbery victim reported that he had agreed to sell marijuana to a subject. When the drug deal was supposed to occur, three males forced their way into his residence and stole items, police said.

Officers recovered evidence from the scene as well as in the neighborhood, including some of the items that were stolen. Shortly after the incident occurred, the three subjects, all of Ithaca, were located in the area of Cayuga Medical Center by the New York State Police and the Tompkins County Sheriffs Department. Two were identified as Eric M. Benjamin, 28, and John M. Oliver, 19, police said.

About 2:30 p.m. Friday, the third subject, Cruz E. Colon, 24, was located and taken into custody. Benjamin, Oliver, and Colon were each charged with first-degree robbery and first-degree burglary, both felonies. The three were arraigned in Ithaca City Court Friday and taken to the Tompkins County Jail with bail set at $10,000 cash or $20,000 bond.

7:20 PM, Apr 4, 2014 |
ithacajournal.com

What a maroon. Just one more reason to legalize dope. laugh laugh The dumbing down of America.

#1445821 --- 04/26/14 03:28 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: cwjga]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
What a maroon.

He was smart enough to call the cops after 3 guys robbed him, and the robbers were apprehended. What's dumb about that? If people forced their way into your home, and robbed you, wouldn't you call the cops? Wouldn't you say that you had a right to have them arrested?

#1446064 --- 04/29/14 03:14 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police Searching for Man Involved in Downtown Shooting

Police are searching for a man who reportedly fired multiple gunshots and injured an individual in downtown Ithaca Monday evening.

At approximately 7:39 p.m. Monday, Ithaca Police said they received multiple calls regarding gunshots fired near the intersection of South Plain Street and Cleveland Avenue. Upon arrival on the scene, officers determined that a victim — who sustained two gun shots — was transported to a local hospital.

Police have identified the suspect as Ithacan Clifton McBean and said in a press release that McBean “should be considered armed and dangerous.” According to police, the shooter and victim knew each other.

Police are urging those with information relevant to the investigation to contact the Ithaca Police Department.

APRIL 29, 2014 12:51 PM
By TYLER ALICEA

#1447825 --- 05/16/14 07:30 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca man caught after alleged burglary

A 21-year-old Ithaca man was charged with felony second-degree burglary Thursday night in connection with an incident on East Seneca Street, according to city police.

At around 8 p.m., police responded to a complaint of a burglary in progress. Brian J. O’Connor of Stewart Avenue, allegedly entered the building, damaged property, removed a fire extinguisher from a wall mount and tried to exit on a fire escape, police said.

Several residents confronted O’Connor, who then re-entered the house through a window and ran out the front door, police said. Witnesses provided police with a description of O’Connor and the direction he was headed, and police quickly apprehended him.

O’Connor also was charged with criminal mischief and possession of burglar tools, arraigned and released on an appearance ticket, police said.

www.ithacajournal.com/article/20140516/N...?nclick_check=1

#1448399 --- 05/22/14 06:10 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca resident accused of hitting, robbing younger teen

An 18-year-old Ithaca resident was charged with felony third-degree robbery after he was accused of robbing a 15-year-old friend, according to city police.

Around noon on May 14, the 15-year-old and Marcus A. Collins walked to a wooded area in the 400 block of East State Street when Collins allegedly punched the younger teen in the face several times unexpectedly. The victim fell to the ground in a daze, and Collins rifled through his pockets and stole several items before leaving the area, police said.

The victim sustained facial injuries and was given medical attention at a nearby hospital.

Around 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Collins turned himself in at the Ithaca Police Department. In addition to robbery, he was charged with misdemeanor endangering the welfare of a child and second-degree harassment, a violation.

Collins was arraigned in city court. While the district attorney requested bail be set at $5,000 cash or $10,000 bond, the city court judge released Collins on his own recognizance.

#1449677 --- 06/04/14 09:59 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police seek 2 in armed, home invasion

Police are seeking two men who made off with two safes containing an undisclosed amount of money in an armed, home invasion robbery Wednesday morning in the 300 block of Floral Avenue.

One suspect is described as a black man, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, and the other suspect is a man of unknown race, wearing a red hooded sweatshirt, Ithaca Police said.

Police were called at 4:35 a.m. and told by the complainant that two men had just entered his apartment, displayed a handgun, stole items and fled the area.

The complainant said that around 4:30 a.m. the suspects knocked on his door and pointed a handgun at him when he answered. The man told police one of the suspects choked him while the other suspect retrieved two safes.

The man told police that the two suspects tried to tie him up, however, they were unable to do so, and instead forced him into a bathroom.

After not hearing the voices of the two suspects for a short period, the man exited the bathroom and called police.

Police ask anyone with information to call, police dispatch at (607) 272-3245 or the Crime Stoppers Tipline at (607) 697-0333

#1452651 --- 07/03/14 08:29 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man accused of robbing Cornell employee at knifepoint found guilty:

The man who robbed the employee of a café on the Cornell University campus at knifepoint back in November has been convicted.

25-year-old Rishawn Vieweg was found guilty this week in a Tompkins County courtroom of robbery and criminal possession of a weapon.

On November 9th of last year, prosecutors say Vieweg threatened the employee of the Synapsis Café at Cornell’s Weill Hall with a knife, demanding that she turn over the money.

Vieweg fled the scene but was stopped by a civilian long enough for cornell police to catch Vieweg just outside the building.

As a violent felon, Vieweg faces a minimum of 10 years in prison and a maximum of 25 years.

#1453795 --- 07/13/14 12:36 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Cops: Two men, one wielding knife and club, robbed Ithaca business

Ithaca, N.Y. — Two men, one reportedly armed with a knife and club, robbed a business on Ithaca’s Spencer Road Wednesday morning, according to the Ithaca Police Department.

The men entered the business on the 400 block of Spencer Road shortly before 4:17 a.m., an employee told police officers.

The men came up to the employee from behind and ordered him to the ground, according to a report from IPD.

“The employee [said] one of the subjects was in possession of a knife and a club,” the report said.

The men failed to break into a safe on the premises but stole $300 in cash from the employee’s wallet before fleeing the scene.

By: PATRICK FEENEY | July 11, 2014

#1454672 --- 07/20/14 10:26 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Burglars strike Ithaca’s The Piggery, break window and steal cash

Ithaca, N.Y. — Sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning, a burglar or burglars broke into Ithaca’s The Piggery and stole “a significant amount” of cash, according to Piggery office manager Megan Carey.

“It just feels intensely violating to have something like this happen,” Carey said in an interview Sunday afternoon, “especially for a small business like us.”

Ithaca police are investigating the crime, according to Carey. Carey said a break-in was also reported recently at the Bowl-O-Drome that sits about a block away from The Piggery.

The weekend burglary of The Piggery follows two similar crimes at the offices of Ithaca to Go.

That office — nearby on the western side of town — saw two safes stolen from it on July 7. Then, on July 10, someone again broke into Ithaca to Go, stayed for a few hours and left with ice cream sandwiches.

By: JEFF STEIN | 8 HOURS AGO

#1456787 --- 08/10/14 07:59 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police: 3 suspects, one brandishing knife, try to rob lone pedestrian near Commons

Ithaca, N.Y. — A pedestrian walking alone a few blocks from the Ithaca Commons early Saturday morning was pepper sprayed, tripped and threatened by three suspects, according to police.

Two juveniles have been arrested and identified by the pedestrian as his assailants. Their names are not being released because they are underage.

A third person suspected in the attack remains at large. Ithaca police are continuing to investigate.

By: JEFF STEIN | 22 HOURS AGO

#1457323 --- 08/15/14 05:03 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

#1458351 --- 09/03/14 06:18 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man Punched in Face After Robbery in Collegetown: The victim who was assaulted was transported to a local hospital, where he was treated for potential broken facial bones, police said.

#1458764 --- 09/08/14 09:38 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca homeowner used hammer to confront blade-wielding robber: Shortly after being called to the scene, Ithaca police identified and arrested Randolph Black in connection with the incident.

#1458990 --- 09/12/14 05:05 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
itstinks Offline

Yep it's called the "Knockout Game" (readily googled)

Teonan can keep preaching the prog/lib socialist kumbaya line until he/she is the next victim.

A liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet.

#1459015 --- 09/12/14 01:09 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: itstinks]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Teonan is not to be found by the user list search box. Maybe his "well-armed Christian militias" finally got to him.

#1459317 --- 09/17/14 06:30 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca’s Taste of Thai Express robbed at knife-point; homeless man arrested. Officers found the man a few blocks from the restaurant.

#1467141 --- 03/05/15 10:04 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Trumansburg man accused of robbing Ithaca smoke shop: Alan Richards, 40, has been charged with third-degree robbery.

Edited by newsman38 (03/05/15 10:04 PM)

#1470158 --- 05/02/15 10:38 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police thank public for help foiling robbery of elderly woman: A man has been arrested after robbing a smoke shop staffed by an elderly woman on Ithaca’s West State Street on Friday, according to the Ithaca Police Department.

#1471284 --- 05/22/15 09:57 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police look for suspects who robbed apartment with shotgun, taser: Two residents smoking on their back porch said they were approached by two men who forced themselves into the apartment with the weapons.

#1471686 --- 06/01/15 11:08 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man accused of robbing Ithaca smoke shop was on probation:

Will Howell Jr., was sentenced to 5 years of probation and jail time on March 26 after he stole a wallet in the Ithaca Commons Market at 122 N. Aurora St. He also tried to take money from the register.

May 2, Howell allegedly stole money from a smoke shop at 124 W. State St., which was staffed by an elderly woman at the time. Bystanders helped direct police to the man, who fled from them through several backyards, police said.

#1471856 --- 06/04/15 01:30 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

#1471905 --- 06/05/15 04:23 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man charged with breaking into Cornell plant, stadium: James Patrick MacIntyre, 23, of Ridgefield, Conn., was charged with: third-degree burglary, a felony; petit larceny, a misdemeanor; and third-degree criminal trespass, a misdemeanor.

#1472098 --- 06/09/15 01:47 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

[url=http://forums.fingerlakes1.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1472099&#Post1472099[/url]: Officials were called to the 24-hour laundromat at East Hill Plaza at 8:13 a.m. Friday after a person stole $2,000 from a cash machine, said Deputy Chief David Honan.

#1473800 --- 07/24/15 10:34 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Robbery, Cocaine Arrest at GrassRoots: "It is alleged that two male subjects forced the victim to the ground and then stole his clothing and backpack that contained approximately $3,000 in U.S. currency."

#1476621 --- 10/11/15 10:58 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

#1476625 --- 10/11/15 12:58 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

After head shakes and a burst of denial, Ithaca man pleads guilty to robbery: Whitley Taylor, 33, pleaded guilty to second-degree robbery in exchange seven years in prison with five years of post-release supervision -- the minimum sentence allowed on the charge for a predicate violent felon.

#1476632 --- 10/11/15 10:04 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Armed robbery reported in Ithaca: Ithaca police are seeking a suspect following the report of an armed robbery early Saturday morning in the area of Washington Park.

#1476640 --- 10/12/15 06:40 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Police Ask for Help with Robbery and Assault: Ithaca police say the victim was walking on Chestnut Street on Friday when he was attacked.

#1477772 --- 11/02/15 01:11 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man sentenced for Lansing robbery: Whitley Taylor, 33, was sentenced to seven years in prison with five years of post-release supervision.

#1478194 --- 11/09/15 09:39 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police looking for Ithaca armed robbery suspect: Police say the man pointed a handgun at the victim and demanded money, and then forcefully stole the victim's purse. Police say the suspect was last seen fleeing on foot.

#1478990 --- 11/25/15 10:53 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

September 7, 2012
By Jonathan Dawson

Court overturns manslaughter conviction in robbery death

#1479582 --- 12/10/15 08:47 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Tompkins crime down in 2014, aligns with national trend

ITHACA, N.Y. — Fewer crimes overall were committed in Tompkins County in 2014 than in 2013, according to a report from the state, though the number of rape and robbery cases increased.

According to the 2014 New York State Crime Report, Tompkins County has seen a 10.3 percent drop in reported crime from 2013 to 2014.

The Division of Criminal Justice Services used seven crime categories as indicators of statewide crime trends: “violent crimes” which includes murder, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault; and “property crimes” of burglary, larceny and motor vehicle theft.

But rapes and robberies were up in the county, by 15 percent (from 13 to 15) and 17 percent (from 29 to 34), respectively.

NEWS, TOPDECEMBER 9, 2015 BY ALYSSA GILLIAM

#1479906 --- 12/16/15 06:52 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man attacked, robbed in Ithaca drug deal gone bad: A man was charged last week after allegedly attacking and robbing a person over a month ago in Ithaca, court records say.

#1480484 --- 01/06/16 07:24 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca men charged with attempted robbery: New York State Police in Ithaca have charged Reuben A. Alexander, 19, and Jeremy A. Francis, 26, with second-degree attempted robbery, a felony. At about 11 p.m. Sunday, Alexander and Francis allegedly tried to steal money from a 28-year-old man outside his residence in Enfield.

#1481614 --- 02/11/16 09:24 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Records: Robbery reported at Cornell campus, man taken into custody A man is facing charges after he allegedly stole a laptop from a Cornell student working in a library on campus and then threatened to stab at least one person who tried to chase him down, court records show. He is allegedly the son of Tompkins County legislator Leslyn McBean-Clairborne, a District 1 Tompkins County Legislature

Edited by newsman38 (02/11/16 09:25 AM)

#1482933 --- 03/11/16 10:49 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police looking for man who robbed gas station at knifepoint: Police say the robbery happened around 9:10 p.m. at the Tops Express Gas Station in the 700 block of South Meadow Street. No injuries were reported.

#1483149 --- 03/21/16 02:15 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police seeking armed robbery suspect in Ithaca

The Ithaca Police Department is asking for the public to help provide any information that could lead to the arrest of an armed robbery suspect from an incident Saturday night.

On March 19th at approximately 8:45 pm, the Ithaca Police were called to respond to the Subway restaurant located at 401 Elmira Road for the report of an armed robbery. Officers arrived and spoke with the store employee, who reported that he had just been robbed at gunpoint.

The clerk reported that he was preparing the store for close when a lone perpetrator entered wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and black ski mask. The clerk reports that he was forced back to the register and then forced to open the register as the suspect brandished a handgun.

The suspect removed an undisclosed amount of money from the cash register before fleeing the store on foot, reportedly towards Spencer Street.

The restaurant employee described the perpetrator as a black male of average build with a dark complexion. He wore a gray hooded sweatshirt, dark sweatpants, and a black ski mask at the time of the robbery.

#1484198 --- 04/28/16 11:49 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

3 men attack, injure man on West Buffalo Street: On April 27, 2016 at about 9:45 pm Ithaca Police Department officers responded to the 300 block of West Buffalo Street regarding a robbery that had just occurred. Officers arrived on scene and spoke to the victim, who was bleeding from a laceration on his face.

#1484370 --- 05/06/16 10:16 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Commons robbery leads to arrest, leaves store employee with minor injuries: On Thursday, May 5th, at approximately 7:15 PM, officers of the Ithaca Police Department were called to respond to the business of Benjamin Peters men’s clothing store for the report of a theft in progress during which the suspect was reported to be engaged in a physical altercation with one of the store’s employees.

#1484491 --- 05/12/16 09:24 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man sustained minor injuries during Ithaca robbery at knife point: The incident happened around 1:20 a.m. as a Cornell student was walking west on East Buffalo Street.

#1485326 --- 06/06/16 12:18 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

About $700 snatched from ice cream vendor at Ithaca Festival: "How do we feel about Ithaca? It's hard to say because it leaves a sad taste when something like that happens," he said.

#1486377 --- 07/03/16 03:15 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Downtown Ithaca coin shop robbed at gunpoint: Armed robbers took an unconfirmed amount of money and merchandise from Harold’s Coins.

#1486755 --- 07/11/16 06:26 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Black Lives Matter demonstrators make calls for labor strikes, defunding Ithaca PD: The organizers expressed their skepticism of local media, saying that local media outlets... over-reported crimes committed by people of color while ignoring serious white collar crimes.

#1488317 --- 08/15/16 08:43 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Two Ithaca Men Arrested for Burglary: On August 10 New York State Police at Ithaca arrested Javier Acosta, 38, and John Romero, 31, both from Ithaca, for the felony of second-degree burglary. This arrest occurred after troopers responded to burglary complaint at a home on Forest Lane in the Town of Dryden at about 2:16 p.m. that day. An investigation determined that Acosta and Romero had entered this home without permission and stole change and electronics.

#1490109 --- 09/27/16 09:00 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca College Searching for Burglary Suspect: A resident reports that an unknown person entered a room, removed money from a wallet, attempted to remove a laptop computer, and then fled the area. According to the resident the room was unlocked and occupied upon time of entry.

#1490188 --- 09/29/16 12:58 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Cornell Police Report Stabbing on Stewart Ave Bridge: The victim — a 27 year old Dryden Resident unaffiliated with Cornell University — was visiting someone in the area when he noticed people removing contents from his vehicle, according to an Ithaca Police Department release. After an altercation, the victim suffered a knife wound to the leg.

#1490741 --- 10/13/16 05:49 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

#1490979 --- 10/21/16 10:43 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Woman assaulted near Downtown Ithaca: The victim fell to the ground, her attacker continued to hit her in the face and was attempting to pull the victim’s purse away from her

#1492508 --- 11/14/16 09:55 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Elderly couple robbed at gunpoint during Enfield home invasion: Benjamin Spradlin, 40, of Ithaca, has been charged with felony second-degree robbery after being arrested in the city of Ithaca around 8 p.m. Saturday.

#1492757 --- 11/22/16 09:03 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police charge man with burglary: Officers report finding the apartment in "complete disarray" with multiple items in the apartment destroyed. There was also evidence of a fire and feces smeared on the walls inside.

#1493201 --- 12/11/16 10:22 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

4 people indicted in connection to Newfield homicide: Court records citing police officer accounts indicate that the homicide happened during a robbery.

#1493315 --- 12/15/16 07:04 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man taken into custody after attempting to rob 3 people in Ithaca: On December 14 at about 11:56 p.m. Ithaca Police Department officers responded to the report of a Robbery in the 100 Block of Linden Ave.

#1493424 --- 12/19/16 09:16 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Man Accused of Theft, Multiple Campus Trespasses Turns Himself In: John S. Gould, 55, was arraigned this week in Ithaca City Court and charged with third degree burglary — a class D felony, attempted petit larceny — a misdemeanor — and two trespass violations. He is currently being held at the Tompkins County Jail without bail.

#1493477 --- 12/20/16 03:22 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Two arrested in Ithaca for robbing man after asking for cash: The victim said he was told “you’re in the wrong neighborhood... you could get shot here.”

#1493479 --- 12/20/16 04:14 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
Teonan Offline

Two arrested in Ithaca for robbing man after asking for cash: The victim said he was told “you’re in the wrong neighborhood... you could get shot here.”

Newsman38. Why do you find it necessary to repeatedly submit duplicate news items on Tomkins County forums?

Such as your latest:
#1493478 --- 47 minutes 35 seconds ago Two arrested in Ithaca for robbing man after asking for cash

#1493597 --- 12/24/16 04:23 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Teonan]
newsman38 Offline

John Doe finally named; 4th person indicted on Newfield murder, robbery charges: Dennis Lampila, 39, is indicted on second-degree murder, first-degree robbery and fourth-degree conspiracy.

#1493705 --- 12/29/16 07:45 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Officer of the Month: Trooper key factor in solving attempted robbery turned violent in Enfield

Man pleads not guilty to Newfield murder charge: Dennis Lampila, 39, is charged with second-degree murder, first-degree robbery and fourth-degree conspiracy. He is alleged to have taken part in a robbery turned deadly on Dec. 2. Although Lampila has not been formally arrested on the fore mentioned charges, he was initially indicted as a John Doe and is in custody for violating his parole on a DWI charge.

#1495590 --- 02/20/17 08:02 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Warchdog File: Crime in NYS

Broome County had the highest rate of total index crimes in 2015 — at 3,286 per 100,000 people, it was nearly twice the state median of 1,971. Twenty other counties, including Chemung, Tompkins and Monroe, also exceeded the median rate.

Broome's property crime rate was highest in New York as well, at 2,968 per 100,000. Tompkins, Chemung and Monroe counties were among the 21 other counties above the state median.

John R. Roby , jroby@pressconnects.com | @PSBJRoby

#1495746 --- 02/24/17 11:48 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca man arrested for alleged assault, robs victim of knife: Gavin J. Mahoney, 50, was arrested by Ithaca Police on the afternoon of Jan. 2 after reportedly assaulting another man in parking lot of the Ithaca Wal-Mart. Mahoney was charged with third-degree robbery and third-degree assault on Feb. 17.

#1496295 --- 03/07/17 08:36 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca man sentenced to eight years in p... in his vehicle: Judge John Rowley called the find a "gut check" to people about the kind of violence happening in Ithaca.

#1496474 --- 03/10/17 09:15 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Burglary at Ithaca College: The Ithaca College Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management is investigating a report of a burglary that occurred on March 7 between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. in the East Tower.

#1496954 --- 03/23/17 02:28 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man charged with burglary after entering home in Dryden with imitation pistol: An Ithaca man was indicted in Tompkins County Court on Thursday morning after burglarizing his wife’s home, who has an order of protection against him.

#1497033 --- 03/26/17 09:43 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man sleeping in car turned over to IPD for burglary charge: Giles Gerhart had an arrest warrant for second-degree burglary in the city of Ithaca. He was issued tickets returnable to the town of Ithaca Court on April 6 and was then turned over to the IPD for the outstanding felony warrant.

#1497835 --- 04/17/17 08:46 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

88-year-old Woman Assaulted, Robbed on Easter Sunday: An elderly woman was pushed to the ground and an attacker took her purse on Easter Sunday as the woman was walking home from church, Ithaca Police said.

2nd Ithaca robbery reported Sunday just blocks away from where elderly woman was robbed: The woman told police "that a black male suspect wearing a black hoodie style sweatshirt and jeans approached her and took her wallet out of her hands."

#1498002 --- 04/20/17 09:44 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

FINDING ITHACA ROBBERY SUSPECTS A 'TOP PRIORITY' FOR POLICE: Robberies appear to be on the rise in Ithaca, police said.

#1498449 --- 05/07/17 02:56 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police searching for 4 suspects after reported robbery on Schuyler Place: The man who was robbed told police he was approached by four black men wearing hoodies and jeans, and then he was shoved to the ground, punched and kicked in the head and body while on the ground.

#1499035 --- 05/19/17 02:40 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Multiple businesses report overnight burglaries in DeWitt Mall: Cafe DeWitt, Moosewood, and The Bookery were among the known businesses who were affected by the break-in.

#1499694 --- 06/06/17 11:11 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police searching for suspect after armed robbery of credit union: Jamie Williamson, public information officer for the Ithaca Police Department, said the credit union was robbed at gunpoint at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

#1500617 --- 06/29/17 10:42 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man tried to rob woman at Cornell, police say: Police have identified the man as Edrick Acosta Ramos, of Enfield. Ramos was charged with third-degree attempted robbery and second-degree harassment.

#1501066 --- 07/08/17 10:22 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca man charged burglary of Lansing residence: The Tompkins County Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to a reported burglary in progress at about 10:35 p.m. Tuesday. The homeowner told deputies that when returning home with their young children, she saw a man in their home. She said the man stole items and left the residence.

#1501112 --- 07/09/17 09:20 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police searching for suspect after armed robbery at The Vitamin Shoppe: Police describe the suspect as a thin, young black man who was wearing a black hoodie and baggy jean-type pants. He was last seen running southeast through the parking lot area.

#1502562 --- 07/28/17 03:34 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca's violent crimes highest since 2009. Violent crimes are classified by the state in four groups: murder, assault, rape and robbery.

#1502633 --- 07/31/17 09:36 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Two arrested after robbery at Lansing gas station: The Tompkins County Sheriff’s Department got a call from the Mobil Gas Station on Triphammer Road in the village around 4 on Friday. Deputies say when they got there, they spoke with a person who said two men had physically confronted and taken property from them before fleeing.

#1502694 --- 08/01/17 06:30 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Deputies arrest 18-year-old accused of home burglary: Investigators and deputies arrested Christopher Camp, of Freeville, who was later arraigned and released with an appearance ticket ordering his return to the Town of Dryden Court on Aug. 2, a sheriff's office press release stated. The investigation is ongoing and other arrests may follow.

#1503070 --- 08/09/17 07:00 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Robbery reported near Ithaca's southwest: Ithaca Police say a man was robbed at knifepoint in the city's southwest Monday afternoon.

#1503336 --- 08/13/17 09:49 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

#1503459 --- 08/16/17 05:30 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca attorney alleges while walking home, two men attempted to rob, assault him: Acting Police Chief Pete Tyler said the investigation is currently ongoing, and there has been no release of names yet.

#1504309 --- 08/30/17 11:53 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

2 men charged in Ithaca burglary after being reported on rooftop: Police say the men tried to run from officers at the scene.

#1504350 --- 09/01/17 11:35 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca police investigating purse theft on Cayuga Street: The suspect is described as a black man, thin build, wearing black pants a black shirt.

#1504591 --- 09/09/17 07:08 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

IPD makes arrest in Grand Larceny investigation: On Wednesday, a 16-year old male from Ithaca was arrested in connection to the robbery and charged with felony Grand Larceny. The alleged suspect was processed and released on an appearance ticket to return to Ithaca City Court on September 13th.

#1504851 --- 09/18/17 08:37 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Police investigating reported armed robbery on South Hill: Police say the victim described the three suspects as black men from 21 to 26 years old, and anyone with information is being asked to contact the Sheriff’s Department. The incident remains under investigation.

#1506480 --- 10/12/17 08:38 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Man charged with felony after trying to wrestle backpack from woman: Christopher Hartman, 41, is charged with felony third-degree attempted robbery and being held without bail at the Tompkins County Jail after being arraigned Wednesday morning.

#1506750 --- 10/18/17 01:00 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Jury selection begins in fatal Newfield drug robbery case: Roy Clements is charged with second-degree murder, first-degree robbery, and fourth-degree conspiracy. He's pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >