FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1353051 --- 07/12/12 05:57 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
2 arrested in Ithaca home-invasion robbery; 1 woman still sought

ITHACA -- A man and a woman were arrested by Ithaca police Thursday in connection with a report of home invasion robbery in the 200 block of Lake Avenue.

A second woman who police believe was involved in the incident is still being sought. She is described as a white woman in her 20s. One Ithaca police officer was injured in the incident that unfolded about 8 a.m. Thursday.

Jameel C. Milton, 28, was charged with robbery obstruction of governmental administration, resisting arrest and criminal possession of a weapon. Elizabeth Minor, 33, was charged with robbery.

According to police reports, the robbery victim told officers the suspects entered his home about 8 a.m. and the male subject displayed a black handgun and demanded money and property, which the victim provided. The suspects fled the scene on foot. Ithaca police arrived at the Lake Avenue address and quickly located the male and one female suspect a short distance from the residence.

The female suspect was apprehended, but the male suspect ran from officers. During the course of the foot pursuit the suspect pulled what appeared to be a black semi-automatic pistol from his waist band, displaying the handgun as he fled from the officers.

The suspect ignored repeated orders from officers to stop and fled through back yards in the area of First and Second streets. The officers were forced to use a TASER to gain control of the suspect, who was apprehended on Second Street.

It was discovered that the suspect had disposed of the handgun during the foot pursuit and the weapon was located after a brief ground search. It was discovered that the handgun that was displayed was in fact a pellet gun designed as a replica of an actual handgun.

One police officer was treated by Bangs Ambulance for minor injuries he received during the foot pursuit. The Tompkins County Sheriff's Office assisted during the ground search with their K9 unit and responded to calls for service in the city during this incident.

Staff report
4:11 PM, Jul. 12, 2012

FingerLakes1.com
#1353081 --- 07/13/12 12:41 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
The furniture they piled in front of the door obviously wasn't heavy enough...probably some of that cheap resin furniture.

#1354404 --- 07/20/12 09:29 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: BigRed]
lodian Offline

Loc: Lodi, Seneca County
I agree that political correctness in Ithaca is a major factor. Children aren't taught to work for what they want. If the rich have it, then it is their duty to give it to the less fortunate and if they don't they will just take it. For instance, every time I have gone into Wegman's in Ithaca I have been physically hurt by employees or other shoppers because I guess I am too slow, in their way or simply don't care. A child pushed a shopping cart into my stomach. The mother said, oh look what you did. Did they say sorry or make the child acknowledge what they did and apologize - No. It didn't happen. If you aren't safe shopping for groceries, why would you think you would be safe on the streets? I don't live in Ithaca (thank you God) but it seems like if you want safer streets, someone needs to starts unlocking and unblocking the doors and start observing your community and reporting the happenings around you to police. Also, if you want children to act lawful and respectful of people and things, and property, this has to be taught at home and in schools. If the schools would call the police in when crime happens in school and the children suffer the consequences of their actions, maybe they wouldn't figure they got away with it in school, why not outside the school.

#1354407 --- 07/20/12 09:38 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: lodian]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth
Originally Posted By: lodian
Also, if you want children to act lawful and respectful of people and things, and property, this has to be taught at home and in schools.

I disagree with that. It should be taught solely at home. Schools are not supposed to be there to indoctrinate, but to educate. Don't confuse the two by implying an education should include how to act in public.

The schools our children go to are for learning academics. They should not be used like an obedience school that you would send your dog to.

#1354477 --- 07/20/12 01:56 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
newsman38 Offline

Police Probe Homeless Robbery/Assault
July 20, 2012 By Ed Sutherland Leave a Comment
ITHACA — A homeless 57-year-old white man was attacked and robbed while sleeping early Friday morning, police say. The unnamed resident of the city’s ‘Jungle’ homeless encampment was stabbed, his neck cut and his ATM card stolen.

The man was taken to a Syracuse hospital, where he is in guarded but stable condition. No suspect description was provided.

When police arrived at the ‘Jungle,’ in the area of 210 Cecil A. Malone Drive, the man was lying unconscious and bleeding near his tent. An investigation found he was sleeping alone in his tent when suddenly attacked without reason. After being cut with a sharp object several times, an ATM card was stolen and the alleged assailant fled the scene, police say.

#1354479 --- 07/20/12 01:58 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: lodian]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I agree that political correctness in Ithaca is a major factor. Children aren't taught to work for what they want. If the rich have it, then it is their duty to give it to the less fortunate and if they don't they will just take it. For instance, every time I have gone into Wegman's in Ithaca I have been physically hurt by employees or other shoppers because I guess I am too slow, in their way or simply don't care. A child pushed a shopping cart into my stomach. The mother said, oh look what you did. Did they say sorry or make the child acknowledge what they did and apologize - No. It didn't happen. If you aren't safe shopping for groceries, why would you think you would be safe on the streets? I don't live in Ithaca (thank you God) but it seems like if you want safer streets, someone needs to starts unlocking and unblocking the doors and start observing your community and reporting the happenings around you to police. Also, if you want children to act lawful and respectful of people and things, and property, this has to be taught at home and in schools. If the schools would call the police in when crime happens in school and the children suffer the consequences of their actions, maybe they wouldn't figure they got away with it in school, why not outside the school.

You cite being bumped by a shopping cart as a "for instance" of something being taken from you? Wow...who would have ever guessed? I sure hope your insurance was up to date, especially since you suffered physical hurt!

Since unlocking, unblocking, and keeping an eye on the city are your ideas, why don't you handle all of that, chief? Why don't you step up, take your own advice, and be that "someone"?

#1354557 --- 07/20/12 08:36 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
lodian Offline

I believe schools should educate children in all areas of their lives. Yes, I believe children ought to be taught how to act in public - be respectful, courteous. I would assume the teachers and educators would expect this treatment from the children attending school so the children know this is the correct way to act in public. I wasn't suggesting sending a child to school to get obedience training, but suggest the schools should expect the children to behave appropriately or suffer the consequences the same as they would in the outside world.

#1354558 --- 07/20/12 08:39 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
lodian Offline

And what makes you think I don't do that "chief"?

#1354560 --- 07/20/12 09:57 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Has anyone else noticed this sharp increase in crime in Tompkins County since VM moved there? Surely it must be a coincidence.

VM, you know I'm kidding, right? \:D

#1354712 --- 07/21/12 11:06 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: lodian]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

And what makes you think I don't do that "chief"?

Do you cruise the streets late at night, fighting crime, using your Super Powers only for good, sport?

If you happen to be having a slow night, would you help move some furniture? I've decided it would be a better strategy if I just kept a clear field of fire

#1354713 --- 07/21/12 11:14 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: twocats
Has anyone else noticed this sharp increase in crime in Tompkins County since VM moved there? Surely it must be a coincidence.

The crime wave is entirely Kitty's doing. It must be...she goes to Ithaca at least 5 times a week. Sure looks fetching in the morning, though, as she bends over to move that pile of furniture...

#1356111 --- 07/29/12 10:15 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Sleeping person tied up in Ithaca as two men invade home and steal electronics

Ithaca Police are looking for two men who invaded a residence on the 400 block of N. Geneva Street Sunday morning and stole electronics.

Police say a light skinned black man wearing a dark t-shirt and shorts, and a dark skinned black man between 25-30 years old with a neatly trimmed goatee, close cropped hair, and wearing a dark blue shirt entered a ground floor residence and attempted to tie up a sleeping occupant.

The person woke up to one of the suspects displaying a silver colored handgun, while the other displayed a knife. The suspects stole a 19" TV, a Play Station 3 gaming console, a white Macbook latop computer, and an Iphone. They then fled the area.

by Tom Eschen
Posted: 07.29.2012 at 2:40 PM

#1356112 --- 07/29/12 10:41 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Originally Posted By: twocats

The crime wave is entirely Kitty's doing. It must be...she goes to Ithaca at least
5 times a week. Sure looks fetching in the morning, though, as she bends over to move that pile of furniture...

Maybe if newsman38 would stop feeding your paranoia low-hanging fruit
from the Tompkins police blotter Kitty could catch her breath. At least install
a lockbar for the door, instead of watching her stack the damn Ikea for chrisakes.

Namaste ;\)

#1356537 --- 08/01/12 01:53 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Teonan]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Okay, I'll restrict myself to watching her when she's catching her breath...that's nice, too.

Seriously, Ithaca's a great place...you wouldn't believe the deal I just got on a TV, a Play Station 3, a laptop, and an Iphone!

#1356556 --- 08/01/12 06:14 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
Teonan Offline

Loc: West End
. Sounds like (staying on topic) a steal.

Cool find all kidding aside. Quality used items abound most anywhere around here it seems. Someone I know scored a Macbook 17 from a Collegetown freepile. Cosmetic damage only, works fine.

Just keep a sharp eye.

#1356982 --- 08/02/12 09:47 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Teonan]
newsman38 Offline

Ithaca Thefts Increase Over 2011

ITHACA — Robberies, burglaries and thefts have already topped that of 2011 — and this year is just half over, according to City of Ithaca Police Department statistics. For example, in just the first five months of 2012, there were 12 robberies reported, up from 11 during the entire previous year.

In another category, car thefts, the city likely will see a rise in the number of stolen autos after a reduction in 2011. In the first five months of 2012, nine motor vehicle thefts were reported, not counting the recent theft of a van carrying oxygen. In 2011, 10 motor vehicle thefts were reported. That was the lowest number of auto thefts reported in the city since at least 2008, according to IPD figures.

June and July have been particularly busy for Ithaca criminals. In July alone, there’s been one home invasion and robbery, a report of gun shots, a stolen van and an assault and robbery of a resident of the city’s homeless ‘Jungle’ encampment. In June, a stabbing happened, a forcible touching incident in Colletown, a hotel was robbed, as was a landmark local downtown magazine shop.

We’ve asked City of Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick whether the upswing in crime will prompt any changes in how the Ithaca Police Department does its job. So far, there’s been no reply.

July 29, 2012 By Ed Sutherland

#1360964 --- 08/27/12 11:39 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Originally Posted By: newsman38

Ithaca Police On the Lookout for robbery suspect

Ithaca Police say they are looking for a suspect in a robbery at a business in the Ithaca Commons in the 100 block of East State Street.

On Saturday at about 4:00 p.m. police say a man walked into the business, showed a knife and demanded cash. Police say he also told people in the store that he had a gun, but never showed one.

The suspect left the store with an undisclosed amount of money.

Police describe the suspect as being a middle-aged white male, approximately six feet tall and an average build.

2/26 12:10 am

Robbery investigation leads to arrest

ITHACA — Michael Freelove was arrested on Friday, Aug. 24 by the Ithaca Police Department, and taken into custody without incident.

The arrest came as the result of an investigation of an armed robbery of a business on the Ithaca Commons on Feb. 25, 2012.

Freelove was arraigned in Ithaca City court and remanded to the Tompkins County jail without bail. His next court date is scheduled for Aug. 29.

Staff report
August 27 2012

#1361048 --- 08/27/12 06:38 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
a report of gun shots,

If you persist in making people nervous, there are likely to be more such reports. Thanks a little. From the heart of my bottom. I've just moved the furniture pile...it's been replaced by a free fire zone.

Nobody should get that far, though; I've placed bear traps around the yard, baited with crack.

Which reminds me that people should reflect upon the fact that their government's drug war is driving much of this crime, whether it is the murders in Mexico, or the dude in Tompkins who steals your TV to pay for his outpriced (because black market) fix.

If they vote for anyone who wants to continue this insane policy, they are complicit in the results, all across this formerly freer country.

#1361055 --- 08/27/12 07:16 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Quote:
a report of gun shots,

If you persist in making people nervous, there are likely to be more such reports. Thanks a little. From the heart of my bottom. I've just moved the furniture pile...it's been replaced by a free fire zone.

Nobody should get that far, though; I've placed bear traps around the yard, baited with crack.

Which reminds me that people should reflect upon the fact that their government's drug war is driving much of this crime, whether it is the murders in Mexico, or the dude in Tompkins who steals your TV to pay for his outpriced (because black market) fix.

If they vote for anyone who wants to continue this insane policy, they are complicit in the results, all across this formerly freer country.

Smitty you need a few Claymores and a 50
HGWT

#1361056 --- 08/27/12 07:20 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Okay, I'll restrict myself to watching her when she's catching her breath...that's nice, too.

Seriously, Ithaca's a great place...you wouldn't believe the deal I just got on a TV, a Play Station 3, a laptop, and an Iphone!

Dude were they still hot & smoking?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >