FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1351796 - 07/03/12 10:05 PM Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes?
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Rochester Man Arrested for Buffalo Street Robbery in Ithaca

ITHACA — City police early Tuesday arrested a 25-year-old Rochester, NY man after responding to the 800 block of W. Buffalo Street. Michael Murray is in Tompkins County Jail after being charged with third-degree criminal possession of a loaded handgun.

Officers apprehended Murray after a short foot chase, police said. Initially, officers responded to the West State Street area to investigate a reported domestic incident. Additional charges are likely in this continuing investigation, police say.

July 3, 2012 By Ed Sutherland

Man stabbed during Ithaca robbery

Ithaca Police are investigating an early morning robbery that sent the victim to a hospital. It happened on the 200 block of Elmira Road just before 1:30 Sunday morning.

Police say two men approached the victim, stabbed him in the face and arm, and then physically attacked him. The victim later found that his ID and money were missing from his pocket. He was treated at Cayuga Medical Center for non-life threatening injuries.

06/24/2012 09:43 AM

Ithaca Business Robbed

Police are searching for a suspect in a downtown Ithaca robbery.

Ithaca Police say it happened at Mayer's Smokeshop and Newstand around 7:30 Sunday morning.

The suspect allegedly threatened a cashier with a metal object, ordered the cashier to get on the floor, then stole money from the register and took off.

The suspect is described as an older clean shaven black man, about 5 foot 10, with a slim build.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Ithaca Police Make Drug Arrest in Connection with Reported Hotel Robbery

ITHACA — A 22-year-old was arrested Saturday and charged with criminal possession of a drugs and intent to sell, city police said Monday. The arrest followed a report of a robbery at the Hampton Inn on Elmira Road.

Joseph M. Perrett of Erin, NY was found in the parking lot of the nearby Wendy’s after Ithaca Police responded to a report that three people had stolen money from his hotel room. Perrett was positively identified as the alleged robber. During their investigation, police found Perrett had more than 22 grams of powdered cocaine along with numerous baggies, a scale and cash.

The suspect was arraigned and sent to Tompkins County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash or $10,000 bail bond.

June 18, 2012

Ithaca Police investigating strong-arm robbery

Police in Ithaca are investigating a strong-arm robbery that was reported overnight.

Police say the victim reported that around 12:55 a.m. a suspect jumped into the passenger side of her vehicle on the 200 block of West Seneca Street and demanded money. The suspect didn’t display any weapons, but concealed one hand in his jacket pocket.

The suspect took her money and ran off toward North Geneva Street.

6/04 9:00 am

Ithaca’s Byrne Dairy Robbed — One Arrest Made

ITHACA — Byrne Dairy was robbed Tuesday night by two men, one threatening a store employee with a gun, police say. Officers later arrested one man, charging him with second-degree robbery.

The robbery at 215 N. Meadow St. happened at 10 pm, when the clerk at the store first signaled to police. When officers arrived, the store employee said two people had robbed him of an unspecified amount of money. He said the two went behind the counter, demanding cash from the register. Both suspects fled on foot.

Using a detailed description of the robbers provided by the clerk, police quickly caught up with one suspect five blocks from the robbery. James Nolan Alexander, a 39-year-old city of Ithaca resident, was charged with robbery in the second degree, a felony. Alexander was arraigned and is being held in the Tompkins County Jail.

Police are still looking for the second suspect, described as a black male, around six-feet-tall and of average build.

May 30, 2012

Ithaca Police Investigating Armed Robbery

Ithaca Police are asking for your help as they investigate an armed robbery after two people were robbed at knife point in their own car. It happened around 9 p.m. Tuesday along the 600 block of Chestnut Street.

Two people told police they were in their car, and stopped along the street when an unknown man got into their vehicle and threatened them with a knife.

May 21, 2012 at 11:30 PM EDT

Police investigate Ithaca robbery

Ithaca police are searching for a man they say robbed a woman in the city. It happened on West State Street near the Ithaca Commons around 8:30 Saturday night.

According to investigators, the man grabbed the woman and demanded her belongings. He ran off on foot with an undisclosed amount of money. The victim was not hurt.

Police said the man was in his early 20s, with a thin build and curly hair.

05/20/2012 10:16 AM

Police search for suspects after robbery of Ithaca McDonald's

Police in Ithaca are searching for suspects after a fast-food restaurant was robbed Tuesday night.

According to the Ithaca Police Department, around 9:00 p.m. officers were called to the McDonald’s on Elmira Road for a report of a robbery. When police arrived they were told that a man entered the restaurant, walked behind the counter, confronted employees, and demanded money while displaying what appeared to be a gun concealed in a bag. Police say the suspect took an undisclosed amount of cash before fleeing in a vehicle that was waiting outside.

The suspect is described as a large white, standing around six feet tall and weighing more than 250 pounds. He was reportedly wearing a black zip-up hooded sweatshirt, dark sunglasses, and a purple bandana over his mouth and nose. The getaway car is described as a mid-size SUV, possibly a Jeep.

No injuries were reported.

Posted: 05.02.2012 at 6:53 AM

Ithaca Police On the Lookout for robbery suspect

Ithaca Police say they are looking for a suspect in a robbery at a business in the Ithaca Commons in the 100 block of East State Street.

On Saturday at about 4:00 p.m. police say a man walked into the business, showed a knife and demanded cash. Police say he also told people in the store that he had a gun, but never showed one.

The suspect left the store with an undisclosed amount of money.

Police describe the suspect as being a middle-aged white male, approximately six feet tall and an average build.

2/26 12:10 am

3 indicted in Ithaca poker game robbery

playing Texas Hold 'Em when the trio -- one of whom was wearing a black bandanna over his face and wielding a revolver -- entered through the salon's rear entrance and ordered the players to surrender their money, wallets and cell phones and lay ...

December 25

FingerLakes1.com
#1351869 - 07/04/12 04:24 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Ten robberies in 6+ months, in a metro area with 102,000 population? Are you implying that it's not safe to leave our houses in this "robbery capital"?

#1351880 - 07/04/12 07:53 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

About Ithaca crime rates

With a crime rate of 55 per one thousand residents, Ithaca has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 18. Within New York, more than 98% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Ithaca.

Importantly, when you compare Ithaca to other communities of similar population, then Ithaca crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Ithaca does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most....

From our analysis, we discovered that violent crime in Ithaca occurs at a rate higher than in most communities of all population sizes in America.

Copyright © 2001-2012 Location Inc®.

#1351889 - 07/04/12 10:17 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

That settles it, then...I'll just stay home...lock the doors...

#1351891 - 07/04/12 10:38 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
There are different ways to put your head in the sand.

One is staying home and locking the doors, as you sarcastically suggest.

The other is ignoring the problem or arguing it doesn't exist.

I was surprised by those crime stats newsman posted. I knew robberies were up but I didn't realize how bad the problem was.

Yes, Ithaca may be safer than the South Bronx or East L.A. but that doesn't mean the population should be complacent about the obvious rise in this type of crime.

My personal view: the local government is paralyzed by political correctness, combined with budget constraints that are leading the baby mayor and police chief to expend resources on more 'profitable' things like writing tickets (and getting fine money) for seat belt and cell phone enforcement (and, no, I haven't gotten a ticket for either, I just keep reading their PR about both).

But, of course, that's just subjective thinking on my part.

#1351895 - 07/04/12 11:14 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: BigRed]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Just a thought, and this is purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if the crime rate has anything to do with it being a big college town. Living in Geneva, I know college students can get a little crazy at times leading to property damage. I wonder how Ithaca compares to other college towns.

SUPPORT SOME OF OUR TROOPS

#1351902 - 07/05/12 02:46 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
strangeone Offline

Loc: Fayette,N.Y.
Ithaca. Little Asia you mean?

#1351935 - 07/05/12 06:44 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
Triumph the Dog Offline

Originally Posted By: twocats
Just a thought, and this is purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if the crime rate has anything to do with it being a big college town. Living in Geneva, I know college students can get a little crazy at times leading to property damage

Jah, it's all dose ivy leaguers committing der robberies. Probably sorority pranks gone awry.

#1351959 - 07/05/12 10:40 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: BigRed]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

You're saying that if someone is afraid of being victimized , and stays home more, and locks her doors and is hesitant to move about in the city, she is putting her "head in the sand"?:

I'd characterize her behavior as recognizing the situation and dealing with it rationally.

She's bright enough to see that a problem most obviously does exist. What would you have her do? Perhaps meet up with the criminals and talk them into being nice? Dazzle them with her Kung Fu moves?

#1351961 - 07/05/12 10:49 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: strangeone]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: strangeone
Ithaca. Little Asia you mean?

No. That's what you mean. If that were what she meant, she would have said that.

#1351972 - 07/05/12 01:56 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
ovidtech Offline

Loc: Between.
School is expensive, we give some students leeway as they get so wonderfully inventive seeking new funding, because we know it is for the betterment of society as a whole. And who is really hurt.

(It was clear in my mind what I was attempting to say.)

Edited by ovidtech (07/05/12 03:39 PM)

#1351992 - 07/05/12 03:16 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: ovidtech]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

?????

#1352229 - 07/08/12 01:44 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
Rascal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brewerton, NY, USA
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Ten robberies in 6+ months, in a metro area with 102,000 population? Are you implying that it's not safe to leave our houses in this "robbery capital"?

You don't recognize the problem in your first post.

And then say you're burying your head in the next as a precautionary motive.

lolol

#1352299 - 07/08/12 03:48 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: Rascal]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Rascal

You don't recognize the problem in your first post.

And then say you're burying your head in the next as a precautionary motive.

lolol

What problem? The OP listed 10 robberies in over 6 months, and then implied that that may make Ithaca a crime capital.

Stay with me now...it was only AFTER my post that any supporting evidence for that claim was given.

Staying in a place where one is safer from crime is not the same as burying one's head.

The expression means "to ignore something". Recognizing a danger is the OPPOSITE of ignoring it.

What is it that you smoke, anyway? Opium?

#1352319 - 07/08/12 08:31 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
newsman38 Offline

Man injured in overnight robbery

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Police are searching for a suspect in an overnight robbery in downtown Ithaca. It happened just after midnight on the Commons near State and Tioga Streets on Sunday.

According to authorities, a man was talking to a group of women when the only other man in the group approached him, punched him in the face, and knocked him unconscious. The victim also reported that his wallet was stolen. He was taken to Cayuga Medical Center for facial injuries.

Police are now looking for the person who is responsible.

07/08/12
12:06 PM
YNN

#1352327 - 07/08/12 09:16 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: newsman38]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks a little...now I've got all of the furniture piled in front of the doors, and a shotgun at hand.

Even the dog looks a little worried...

#1352416 - 07/09/12 02:23 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Thanks a little...now I've got all of the furniture piled in front of the doors, and a shotgun at hand.

You are always welcomed to come to my AO and share a weapon of choice. Lots of ammo water and food

#1352444 - 07/09/12 04:11 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks, Bro! Got meds? I might be still a little shaky for a bit, after evacuating this FB.

#1352473 - 07/09/12 06:07 PM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS

I'll bet the cats aren't scared at all!

SUPPORT SOME OF OUR TROOPS

#1352500 - 07/10/12 02:26 AM Re: Robbery Capital of the Finger Lakes? [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

And it's a good thing...no way we're sharing meds with twelve cats. \:\)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >