FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1351500 - 07/02/12 07:52 AM Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
6/27/2012 - As of about a month ago several sources stated that a formerly resigned investigator for the Yates County Sheriff’s Department was rehired as an internal affairs officer. Per all past county employee records and other sources discoverable this position has never been a position in the Yates County Sheriff’s Department. An email has been sent to H. Taylor Fitch for his response to the initial hiring and subsequent termination of the employee and or the position as it seems not to even have been approved by the county.

Mr. Fitch’s response;

“I am in receipt of your email on the internal affairs officer. After investigation I find your information on an internal affairs officer is inaccurate and unfounded. Both the Sheriff and the Highway Superintendent have line items that permit them to hire occasional part-time positions as needed. They do not need legislative approval to do so as the approval was already given when the budget was adopted. The Public Health Director also has this leeway when the County operated a certified home health agency.”

In a response to Mr. Fitch I requested his opinion on what line item it was that allowed for the hiring of an internal affairs officer. It is customary that positions for the county are filled by using a civil service list of qualified candidates. A second question was if such a test was given was that candidate hired from this list. All valid questions. A FOIL request was made to the Yates County Personnel Office related to how this position was filled and why, if it be the case, was it just eliminated.

7/1/2012 - In a brief response from Mr Fitch he stated that, "The termination was the unfounded part."

Mr. Fitch,

Thank you for your reply. Is it my understanding that according to what you have stated so far the sheriff himself can create a titled job that as far as I have read back of the minutes of the Yates County legislature did not exist. Hire someone for it and pay for it by "approval" of the general 2012 Yates County budget? I did ask what line item the money came from that you spoke of. I also asked if there was supposed to be a civil service test for the position. If this position is all properly filled that is what people want to know. However at this point many do not believe that is the case.

Wilson Simmons
Yates County Gazette

FingerLakes1.com
#1351507 - 07/02/12 08:24 AM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Samuel]
Honestly Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
Originally Posted By: Samuel
6/27/2012 - As of about a month ago several sources stated that a formerly resigned investigator for the Yates County Sheriff’s Department was rehired as an internal affairs officer. Per all past county employee records and other sources discoverable this position has never been a position in the Yates County Sheriff’s Department. An email has been sent to H. Taylor Fitch for his response to the initial hiring and subsequent termination of the employee and or the position as it seems not to even have been approved by the county.

Mr. Fitch’s response;

“I am in receipt of your email on the internal affairs officer. After investigation I find your information on an internal affairs officer is inaccurate and unfounded. Both the Sheriff and the Highway Superintendent have line items that permit them to hire occasional part-time positions as needed. They do not need legislative approval to do so as the approval was already given when the budget was adopted. The Public Health Director also has this leeway when the County operated a certified home health agency.”

In a response to Mr. Fitch I requested his opinion on what line item it was that allowed for the hiring of an internal affairs officer. It is customary that positions for the county are filled by using a civil service list of qualified candidates. A second question was if such a test was given was that candidate hired from this list. All valid questions. A FOIL request was made to the Yates County Personnel Office related to how this position was filled and why, if it be the case, was it just eliminated.

7/1/2012 - In a brief response from Mr Fitch he stated that, "The termination was the unfounded part."

Mr. Fitch,

Thank you for your reply. Is it my understanding that according to what you have stated so far the sheriff himself can create a titled job that as far as I have read back of the minutes of the Yates County legislature did not exist. Hire someone for it and pay for it by "approval" of the general 2012 Yates County budget? I did ask what line item the money came from that you spoke of. I also asked if there was supposed to be a civil service test for the position. If this position is all properly filled that is what people want to know. However at this point many do not believe that is the case.

Wilson Simmons
Yates County Gazette

More tax dollars wasted by the sheriff! I won't even comment on the person he hired, what a joke!!!!

#1351522 - 07/02/12 10:25 AM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Honestly]
McLovin' Offline

Loc: In the land of freedom
Can anyone enlighten us on the Job Description of the Internal Affairs Officers, and why is that job needed now?

Believe it or not, informing the public (taxpayers) about the inner workings of the government will put the government in a positive light. Not informing us makes it appear the the government is trying to hide something.

Transparency works.

#1351534 - 07/02/12 12:04 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: McLovin']
Samuel Offline

Originally Posted By: McLovin'
Can anyone enlighten us on the Job Description of the Internal Affairs Officers, and why is that job needed now?

Believe it or not, informing the public (taxpayers) about the inner workings of the government will put the government in a positive light. Not informing us makes it appear the the government is trying to hide something.

Transparency works.

I guess we will all need to contact our legislature representatives. Seems it is OK with Mr. Fitch that a title gets created and a person gets hired. As best I can tell this was an appointment by the sheriff after an employee just retired from investigator. I was hoping Mr. Fitch would clear it all up for me and or the Yates County personnel office. I did request information under the freedom of information act. I am still waiting for a second response from Mr. Fitch regarding which line item an IA officer's money came from.

#1351541 - 07/02/12 12:49 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Samuel]
CurlySue Offline

Loc: New York,USA
How to you obtain legislature's e-mail addresses?

#1351542 - 07/02/12 12:52 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: CurlySue]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
Call the County Administrators office (Sarah Purdy) and ask for the addresses. She would have them, not sure if she would give them out without a "Foil" request. You could also check the county website to see if any of them are listed.

#1351543 - 07/02/12 12:56 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Mean Gene]
Mean Gene Offline

I heard thru the grapevine that the Deputies Union objected to the part time position being "created", I think it comes under an "exclusivity" rule meaning that a job like that was always done by a union employee and the county would have to negotiate the creation of such a part time position.

Taylor Fitch's explanation above would apply to the Sheriff hiring certain part time people to fill positions that previously existed. I don't believe the Sheriff can create a new position such as "part time investigator" and fill it without prior creation of the position.

#1351556 - 07/02/12 02:03 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Mean Gene]
Samuel Offline

#1351557 - 07/02/12 02:08 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Mean Gene]
Samuel Offline

It was my understanding from several that the title was not investigator. It was Internal Affairs Officer. Which is why I tried to have it clarified by Mr. Fitch who seems to be skating the issue or unwilling to elaborate on the subject.

#1351571 - 07/02/12 03:14 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Samuel]
CurlySue Offline

This whole thing is ridiculous. The Sheriff's Dept. can absolutely not create a new position without Legislative approval. Mr. Fitch you have been asked point blank questions by a resident - why can't you answer the questions?

#1351572 - 07/02/12 03:16 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Samuel]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
This web page identifys employees of YCSD as of Mar. 2012.Go to page 24. I was surprised.

http://www.yatescounty.org/upload/12/4439.pdf

#1351605 - 07/02/12 07:27 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: nomi]
Mean Gene Offline

what were you surprised about?

#1351615 - 07/02/12 08:45 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Mean Gene]
CurlySue Offline

I also don't understand what you're "surprised" about. I believe that employee listing was before the retirement and new position.

#1351616 - 07/02/12 08:50 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: McLovin']
Honestly Offline

Transparency works.
Not when of the most corrupt investigators on the force was hired back to do internal investigations. Question, why would the sheriff hire back a recent retired investigator to do this???????????????????????

#1351617 - 07/02/12 08:51 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Samuel]
Honestly Offline

Originally Posted By: Samuel

Transparency works.

I guess we will all need to contact our legislature representatives. Seems it is OK with Mr. Fitch that a title gets created and a person gets hired. As best I can tell this was an appointment by the sheriff after an employee just retired from investigator. I was hoping Mr. Fitch would clear it all up for me and or the Yates County personnel office. I did request information under the freedom of information act. I am still waiting for a second response from Mr. Fitch regarding which line item an IA officer's money came from.
Good luck with that one.

#1351618 - 07/02/12 08:55 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Honestly]
Mean Gene Offline

Because he is the Sheriff and can do what he wishes, the only control the county has with his office are the purse strings. I don't think they have been drawn closed in quite awhile. \:\)

#1351619 - 07/02/12 08:56 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Honestly]
j3668py Offline

Loc: new york
Originally Posted By: Honestly
[quote=McLovin']Can anyone enlighten us on the Job Description of the Internal Affairs Officers, and why is that job needed now?

Transparency works.
Not when of the most corrupt investigators on the force was hired back to do internal investigations. Question, why would the sheriff hire back a recent retired investigator to do this??????????????????????? [/quote Several years ago that investigator FOILED a document from the Sheriff, it turns out that the document was altered , guess by who?

Edited by j3668py (07/02/12 09:03 PM)

#1351620 - 07/02/12 08:58 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Mean Gene]
Honestly Offline

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
I heard thru the grapevine that the Deputies Union objected to the part time position being "created", I think it comes under an "exclusivity" rule meaning that a job like that was always done by a union employee and the county would have to negotiate the creation of such a part time position.

Taylor Fitch's explanation above would apply to the Sheriff hiring certain part time people to fill positions that previously existed. I don't believe the Sheriff can create a new position such as "part time investigator" and fill it without prior creation of the position.
Wake up, the sheriff can and does what he wants and has for years with the legislator's blessings!

Remember the Sheriff's Dept. is a sacred cow! What a shame our legislators have no honest integrity, intestinal fortitude, guts, can't read a budget(or care if they can), the list goes on and on. Shameful!!!!

#1351623 - 07/02/12 09:21 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: Honestly]
C.I.Brown Offline

Loc: PY,NY
How many hours a week does he work and at what pay and benefits? Did they advertise for this newly created job? Why would they hire someone who just resigned? I really hope that using this money in this manner does not put at risk what it really should be used for, like more road patrol or overtime?

#1351632 - 07/02/12 10:09 PM Re: Sheriff's Internal Affairs Officer [Re: CurlySue]
nomi Offline

Loc: new york usa
Didn't one deputy resign and become head of emergency management. How come he is still listed as a part time deputy?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >