FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1347588 - 06/02/12 12:25 PM Discrimination in Ithaca Government Lawsuits
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Four Discrimination Lawsuits Remain Against City

The City of Ithaca is striking out in its attempts to derail a series of discrimination lawsuits capable of draining government coffers.

Spanning the Ithaca Police Department, the Ithaca Fire Department and city inspections, legal challenges to the city of around $30 million are getting the green light from courtrooms.

On May 15, U.S. District Court Judge Gary Sharpe of the Northern District of New York in Syracuse ruled a $10.5 million lawsuit brought by Ithaca Police Sgt. Douglas Wright "contains facts sufficient to state a plausible race discrimination claim."

Wright, a Caucasian, alleges he was passed over for the lieutenant's spot because of his race. Ithaca Police Chief Edward Vallely instead appointed Marlon Byrd, a black IPD officer.

In his lawsuit, Wright claims Vallely told him he needed to "show clear and convincing evidence why you are the better candidate; otherwise, I have to promote Marlon."

In another case, a discrimination case alleged by a 15-year-veteran of the City of Ithaca Fire Department against the city was ordered to proceed.

Former firefighter Mark Hassan's "has plausibly alleged claims of employment discrimination and a hostile work environment." Hassan claims he was fired from his position in 2011 after he complained of discrimination, including being called "towel head" and "dune coon," among other epithets.

Last Updated on 01 June 2012
By Ed Sutherland

FingerLakes1.com
#1369240 - 10/18/12 09:48 PM Re: Discrimination in Ithaca Government Lawsuits [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Jury awards Ithaca PD's Miller $2M in federal suit against Ithaca

A federal jury has awarded an Ithaca Police officer $2 million in the lawsuit he brought against the City of Ithaca.

The verdict came late Thursday afternoon in the case involving Christopher Miller’s claim that he faced employment discrimination when he was denied promotions because he was white and that the city retaliated against him when he filed human rights complaints.

Written by
David Hill
10/18/12

#1369313 - 10/19/12 01:33 PM Re: Discrimination in Ithaca Government Lawsuits [Re: newsman38]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
about time things take a change on this sort of issues.
Sad thing it's being done all over the world.

#1369494 - 10/20/12 12:58 PM Re: Discrimination in Ithaca Government Lawsuits [Re: I did it!]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Absolutely...legally authorized and enforced racial discrimination should never have been started...it should be ended.

#1369523 - 10/20/12 10:57 PM Re: Discrimination in Ithaca Government Lawsuits [Re: newsman38]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
Sounds like there is alot of internal strife in Ithaca. That's not good for any department. I met Marlon Byrd many years ago at a conference when he and I were both investigators. I thought he was a good man and a good cop.

#1369621 - 10/21/12 09:49 PM Re: Discrimination in Ithaca Government Lawsuits [Re: Mean Gene]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
He may be a very good cop, and I'll take your word for it. None of this is his fault, and maybe not the chief's, either.

His comment, "...otherwise, I have to promote Marlon.", makes me think he was just following the law, which he is sworn to do, I think.

However, any law that dictates hiring on the basis of skin color is more than harmful; it's immoral, and should be changed.

#1369631 - 10/22/12 03:04 AM Re: Discrimination in Ithaca Government Lawsuits [Re: VM Smith]
I did it! Offline

Loc: West Coast 29 Palms
Hey Smitty. It use to be like that at the SEAD a supervisors
had to keep a quoata of balance if not then they may not get a good rating on their performance level so they would hire them to keep thier good ratings while cheating a qualified person out .

However, any law that dictates hiring on the basis of skin color is more than harmful; it's immoral, and should be changed.

It wasn't a law ,but it had a lot to do with your next pay raise
very unfair to all. You are qualified or are not,period.

Discrimination, does suck and is totaly wrong.
I have been accused of being a raciest, no way I have a 6 room home and all have color TVs. Just jokin as always.

#1453766 - 07/13/14 07:11 AM Re: Discrimination in Ithaca Government Lawsuits [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Settlement conference scheduled in former Ithaca police officer’s discrimination lawsuit

thaca, N.Y. — Ithaca’s lawyers will meet with the attorneys for Christopher Miller about a possible settlement in a lawsuit now in its fourth year, according to federal court documents.

Miller, a former Ithaca police officer, sued the city, former Police Chief Ed Vallely and several others in 2010, claiming that he was discriminated against and passed over for promotion because of his race. Miller is white.

In 2012, a federal jury awarded Miller $2 million on the basis of his job discrimination claims, according to Syracuse.com. That decision was later tossed by a judge who ordered a retrial in December 2012, according to The Cornell Daily Sun.

The legal wrangling has continued since then. Since the judge’s December 2012 decision, the sides have filed a collective 48 legal motions, including requests for transcripts, requests to reject transcripts, motions for “supplement pleadings” and motions to quash motions for supplement pleadings.

It’s not clear whether the settlement conference has a chance of putting an end to the lawsuit, which has now seen 577 separate motions filed and involved more than a dozen Ithaca police officers.

Ari Lavine, the city’s attorney, did not respond to multiple requests for comment about the case.