FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1333827 --- 03/20/12 06:49 AM Beware the Lowes Pricing
itstinks Offline

For all those DIYers out there, not only has Lowes switched to an inferior insulation product, (no Owens Corning in sight) they have different pricing schemes amongst their stores.

The Seneca county store's pricing is higher than it is at their Ontario store; this is not because of the tax structure. I approached the store staff about this; they basically shrugged it off and said "all our stores have different pricing for the same product." And then they smiled.

Make sure you do your price checks beforehand and don't assume that because it's the same box store the prices will be the same.

FingerLakes1.com
#1333845 --- 03/20/12 08:40 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: itstinks]
Lori Offline

Loc: Seneca County - Barely
Go to their website order the items you want, when you get there, you just pick them up and go. They have been charged out at the lower internet price and you don't have to spend time in the store. I do this all the time. I order & by the time I get there the stuff is waiting for me. Walmart is the same way. They all figure they have a captive market. I have found that Home Depot is almost always cheaper than Lowes. Try HEP or Ferrara's. Only problem with these places is their limited hours of operation.

#1333853 --- 03/20/12 09:00 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: itstinks]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
Most retail stores do this. Why? Because their pricing system is based on the area and what other stores are offering the same or similar products at. If you find it at a lower price, then all you have to do is approach them at checkout and they will beat the price. Wal-Mart does the same exact thing. You can shop at the one in Greece and then go to Geneva and a lot of times you will find a change in the prices and sometimes the items altogether.

Isaac Asimov

#1333866 --- 03/20/12 09:21 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Dizzyt]
Dizzyt Offline

Loc: NY
Here's a link from Lowe's all about their pricing:

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Everyday+Low+Prices_787241445_

Also, Lowe's discontinued Owens Corning Insulation because it contained formaldehyde and the Johns Manville does not.

This is a statement Lowe's made regarding the discontinuation of the product:

"Because you care about the air your family breathes. Reduce your overall formaldehyde exposure with Johns Manville Formaldehyde-free insulation."

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1027947/

If it were my family's health. I would be relieved that Lowe's made this choice and found a healthier alternative.

Edited by Dizzyt (03/20/12 09:38 AM)

Isaac Asimov

#1333900 --- 03/20/12 11:23 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Dizzyt]
itstinks Offline

I breathed in more insulation from the "new and improved formaldehyde free" Johns Mansville in 10 minutes as it shredded into tiny fragments and flew in my eyes, my mouth, my ears and irritated my skin than YEARS of working with the "dangerous" Owens Corning!!! And yes this was AFTER I took the mask off and stopped working with it. The fragments hung in the air for what seemed an eternity. I just about got a case of mesothelioma from working with that crap.

I'm not buying into the "less dangerous because they took the formaldehyde out" marketing tool green scam.

Edited by itstinks (03/20/12 11:24 AM)

#1333904 --- 03/20/12 12:07 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: itstinks]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth
Insulation is dangerous not just because of the compounds it is made from. Take a look at a piece of insulation fiber under a high-powered magnifying glass or microscope. What you will see is a very jagged fiber that, when inhaled, can attach itself to the tissue inside the lung. When the lung cannot expel this fiber it will form a scab over it. This can obviously cause problems for your lungs, especially since it would be rare that only one fiber made its way into the lung.

#1333907 --- 03/20/12 12:44 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: itstinks]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Given that Johns Mansville has been doing this kind of thing for 150 years, I am gonna bet they know a bit about insulation. Few companies stay in business that long by selling "inferior" products.

#1333908 --- 03/20/12 12:44 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: itstinks]
Monte Cristo Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Why is the insulation inferior? And your proof is?

#1333911 --- 03/20/12 12:54 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Greymane]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Few companies stay in business that long by selling "inferior" products.

They've stayed in business, but it was a near thing, at one point. They once thought they knew a "little bit" about asbestos, which was used as insulation, but a little bit of knowledge of anything can be a dangerous thing:

http://www.mantrust.org/

#1333913 --- 03/20/12 01:00 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Dizzyt]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Yeah, I've run into the same differential pricing at WM, and with gasoline prices, too. LOL...I just figured that the chains figured that if SC people will put up with their government, they'll put up with anything.

#1333940 --- 03/20/12 06:09 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: MeRightYouWrong
Insulation is dangerous not just because of the compounds it is made from. Take a look at a piece of insulation fiber under a high-powered magnifying glass or microscope. What you will see is a very jagged fiber that, when inhaled, can attach itself to the tissue inside the lung. When the lung cannot expel this fiber it will form a scab over it. This can obviously cause problems for your lungs, especially since it would be rare that only one fiber made its way into the lung.

snorting pink insulation with a whipit chaser is the bomb

#1333941 --- 03/20/12 06:10 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Monte Cristo]
Dr. Sarcassm Esq Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: Monte Cristo
Why is the insulation inferior? And your proof is?

No one said it was inferior it is the grey matter speaking.

What was said is it may contain Formaladahidey

#1333952 --- 03/20/12 08:04 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Dr. Sarcassm Esq]
Monte Cristo Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Pay attention Sarcassm. This is from the opening of the thread by itstinks. Apology accepted.

For all those DIYers out there, not only has Lowes switched to an inferior insulation product, (no Owens Corning in sight) they have different pricing schemes amongst their stores.

#1333956 --- 03/20/12 08:34 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Monte Cristo]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL. If he sticks to the facts, he'll have fewer chances to browbeat people...you're asking too much of him.

As for the insulation, the formaldehyde is part of a PF resin which is said to help the bats and rolls recover to their designed loft. I also suspect that, even though there is very little resin in FG insulation, and so particles can still break off and get airborne, it does lessen fiber breakage and floating.

I'd rather put up with the formaldehyde, which declines over time. I'd install in warm weather and leave windows open for a while.

Besides, before I quit smoking at age 60, 2 years ago, I figure I smoked about 275,000 cigs, each being loaded with formaldehyde, and I don't feel a day over ninety. And with that much embalming fluid in me, I might last another 100 years.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac...x-qg1FeBxjdSS8g

Edited by VM Smith (03/20/12 08:48 PM)

#1334153 --- 03/22/12 08:44 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Monte Cristo]
itstinks Offline

Exactly! Reading IS fundamental!

#1334518 --- 03/24/12 12:55 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: itstinks]
Hello_Governer Offline

Loc: New York, Seneca
I for one am a big fan of lowes. It's nice when you work long hours and have a problem or need something on a weekend or after 5 oclock you dont have to drop everything and wait for a store to open to finish a project. also, i needed 1/4 inch wire rope the other day and i always try to go to HEP to get my stuff and for some reason, even though i buy a 250 foot roll every month, hep didnt have any in stock. go to lowes, they have a whole roll, and knock off a few cents a foot to match Hep's price because i bought the whole box and they didnt have to cut it. what a deal.

#1341102 --- 04/26/12 01:46 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: Hello_Governer]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Hello_Governer
i needed/4 inch wire rope the other day and i always try to go to HEP to get my stuff and for some reason, even though i buy a 250 foot roll every month, hep didnt have any in stock.

you must have purchased all they had for that month

heps does carry a large selection for being a smaller store and they are knowledgable about their products

heps will deliver the larger items usually for free while lowes will charge you $60

#1342844 --- 05/06/12 08:18 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: bluezone]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
I made a major purchase at Lowes the other day. When I signed for the charge to my credit card I noted the amount was higher than I had roughly computed for three items I was purchasing. I protested and was assured the totals were correct. The person handling the transaction was on the phone, talking with others about problems, working on my problem and trying to multi task in a highly stressed environment. Being in a hurry and knowing the merchandise would be delivered later I signed and walked out. The receipt as about 2 feet long with additions and subtractions making it difficult to compute in one’s head. There is a discount involved adding to the problem. In a calmer environment I checked my receipt and noted a handling charge for an item they back ordered increasing the price by 20% in addition I was charged for an item that was a “freebie”. I returned to the store and pointed out the errors to the person at the service desk. Again, this person tried to wait on another customer with a problem, talked with a manager, another cashier, answered phone calls and paged other people. They explained the freebie was not being picked up by the computer so I was accidently charged. At that point I cancelled the entire transaction, and then the manager stepped in and straightened it out. I did cancel the back ordered item as I could pick that item up anywhere at retail without a 20% charge for handling. The errors involved several hundred dollars.

I checked with my credit card co this morning, the original charge still stands, the credits have not yet been posted. I assume purchases are posted immediately; returns or credits take longer as they scrutinize those closely. It is not a concern at this point as I will dispute the charge with the CC Co if the returns and credit do not appear before payment is due. That plus the primary items can be returned within 30 days cancelling the entire transaction.

My point, be careful with all merchants, not just Lowes. Check your receipts closely and be sure they are correct before making payment. If you are paying by check or in cash double your vigilance. With credit card companies you can always dispute the charge at a later date.

#1343081 --- 05/07/12 11:47 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: grinch]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
I rechecked my credit card today and the credits have now been posted for the return and the error on Lowe's part. As expected it took another day or two for those to be posted.

To repeat, be cautious concerning advertisments offering a free item if you purchase another item or a reduced price. Often this is not programmed into the cashiers computers and results in a charge for what should be a "freebie" or a lesser charge. In my transaction this resulted in more than a $200 overcharge, Check your receipts carefully.

#1343161 --- 05/07/12 06:48 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: grinch]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

was in there once and someone did not get a $600 credit for a large purchase either

they also cancelled the order

#1343169 --- 05/07/12 07:12 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: bluezone]
123 Offline

Loc: From Ga.
Lowes also gives Vets and or seniors a 10% discount on any item the sell in their stores. I also have never had a product that had to be exchanged. That`s plumimg to kitchens, lawn products,including their mowers and other power tools.
I purchased the biggest air compressor they sell, after a yr 1/2 had problems with it. No problem the manager said bring it back and pick up a new one or my money back. In the enclosed paper work iy said do not return to store,but rather send it back to the manufacturs. Manager said no problem just bring it back to them. Now that`s service. We buy everything from Lowes.
Home Depot doesn`t give vets or seniors a discount.

#1349039 --- 06/14/12 07:01 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: 123]
fingerlakeshiker Offline

Loc: Auburn
home depot does give vets the 10 per cent discount, my dad uses his card there all the time.

#1349040 --- 06/14/12 07:01 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: 123]
fingerlakeshiker Offline

Loc: Auburn
home depot does give vets the 10 per cent discount, my dad uses his card there all the time.

#1349179 --- 06/15/12 11:47 AM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: 123]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Damn, Lowes must now recognize that I am a Senior Citizen. I have never gotten a "Senior discount" on anything I have bought there and that is where all of my appliances and lawn mowers have come from for the last 10 years.

#1349197 --- 06/15/12 01:15 PM Re: Beware the Lowes Pricing [Re: SilverFox]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

take the receipts back to the store and see if they will give you the 10% discount

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >