FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1324322 --- 02/11/12 05:38 PM Righties sacifice schools...
Ayuveda Offline

Loc: Imagine
on the altar of ignorance.

5 Right-Wing Governors Gutting Schools to Fund Prisons, Tax Breaks for the Rich...And a Bible Theme Park
When state after state slashes education dollars, we see what matters to them--and where they spend while cutting schools tells us even more.

Sarah Jaffe

February 9, 2012

It's budget time again, and with the economy still in rough shape, that means it's time for governors to show where their priorities are.

It's probably not surprising that right-wing governors claim they can't fund education properly when revenues are low—we've been seeing this happen for years, even before an actual economic crisis knocked states sideways. But cutting funds to schools isn't the only option for states even if they do have to balance their budgets. There are many other places to cut—and of course, they have the option of raising taxes, something the conservative crowd simply refuses to do.

Like any other choice made by a politician, budgeting is a decision laced with ideology. When state after state slashes education dollars (and often at the same time funnels more of the money they do spend to private companies running charter schools, or gives it away as vouchers) we see what matters to them. And when you take a look at the programs that get funded, or the people who get fat tax cuts as money is drained out of the schools, well, you see what matters to state governments.

Here's a look at five of the governors taking money away from their states' kids, and a look at some of the things they are still funding:

http://www.alternet.org/story/154095/5_r...rk/?page=entire

FingerLakes1.com
#1324324 --- 02/11/12 05:49 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Ayuveda]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
I read that. Obama should be added to that list. Obama and Duncan are a Republican dream team when it comes to education. In what other profession are the actual professionals completely left out of the conversation of reform. Duncan was never a teacher, and there are no teachers on his advisory board. Follow the money.

These cuts ensure that students who live in poorer districts will get fewer options. With a property based school tax like in NYS, low-wealth districts rely more on state aid than districts with high property values. In order to achieve equity in education, there must be equity in funding. We don't even have equitable funding, not to mention that high needs areas often have high needs students which often require more services.

#1324325 --- 02/11/12 05:49 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Ayuveda]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

I heard about that bible thumper park in KY. I believe that's the one with statues of dinosaurs with saddles, because of course the fundies think that people rode them since dinosaurs couldn't have existed more than 6,000 years ago.

#1324328 --- 02/11/12 06:06 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Josephus]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth
Originally Posted By: Josephus
the fundies think that people rode them since dinosaurs couldn't have existed more than 6,000 years ago.

All the fossils were placed their by Satan to get us questioning God and to lead us astray. Why does God allow Satan to do these things? Why is He waiting until Revelations to defeat Satan? He should just get it done and over with now. Also, why does Satan even bother if He knows it was written of His impending defeat?

<scratches head>

#1324330 --- 02/11/12 06:08 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

And why are so many devout Christians so fearful of death? Death is going home, isn't it?

#1324333 --- 02/11/12 06:20 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Josephus]
Ayuveda Offline

I heard about that bible thumper park in KY. I believe that's the one with statues of dinosaurs with saddles, because of course the fundies think that people rode them since dinosaurs couldn't have existed more than 6,000 years ago.

Scary huh?

#1324334 --- 02/11/12 06:28 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: twocats]
Ayuveda Offline

Originally Posted By: twocats
And why are so many devout Christians so fearful of death? Death is going home, isn't it?

Maybe because 'going home' means gettin' a lickin'!

#1324340 --- 02/11/12 06:52 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Ayuveda]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

To hold two of every creature on the Earth (let's not get into how they were rounded up, especially vicious creatures like lions and tigers, or what those predators were fed), including all the dinosaurs (it must've been even more difficult to round these up and feed), Noah's Ark must've been so huge I can't understand why nobody has ever found any traces of it.

#1324344 --- 02/11/12 06:58 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

I saw it on Evan Almighty, so it must be possible.

*Dinosaurs became extinct because God decided they couldn't go on the Ark.

*I still don't know how every form of plant life and bacteria and viruses were gathered and/or sustained, especially plants and animals that only existed thousands of miles away. I know the plants didn't walk themselves.

#1324347 --- 02/11/12 07:04 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: twocats]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Just think of the number of trees required to build such an ark. Were there that many in the Middle East at that time? Surely, they did not all come from the same forest neither.

Noah was laughed at and thought of as crazy for building this ark, so he obviously had no help gathering the wood to build the ark or gathering two of every species on Earth. Quite an amazing feat for one man in such a short time span. That should put him above Moses and Jesus, as his accomplishment is greater than parting the Red Sea and walking on water combined.

#1324348 --- 02/11/12 07:06 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Actually, I read that that area was dense forest (I don't know when). I think Noah lived to be 600 years old, so there was really nothing incredible about that. ;\)

#1324351 --- 02/11/12 07:31 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Ayuveda]
WilllOWisp Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Quote:
5 Right-Wing Governors Gutting Schools to Fund Prisons

I think they are just being practicle. Most of those kids will wind up in prison anyway, so they want to make sure they get a good education in prison. It's a no brainer...

#1324374 --- 02/11/12 08:12 PM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Ayuveda]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Ayuveda

Scary huh?

LOL! That was great!

#1324432 --- 02/12/12 01:34 AM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Ayuveda]

Originally Posted By: Ayuveda
on the altar of ignorance.

5 Right-Wing Governors Gutting Schools to Fund Prisons, Tax Breaks for the Rich...And a Bible Theme Park
When state after state slashes education dollars, we see what matters to them--and where they spend while cutting schools tells us even more.

Sarah Jaffe

February 9, 2012

It's budget time again, and with the economy still in rough shape, that means it's time for governors to show where their priorities are.

It's probably not surprising that right-wing governors claim they can't fund education properly when revenues are low—we've been seeing this happen for years, even before an actual economic crisis knocked states sideways. But cutting funds to schools isn't the only option for states even if they do have to balance their budgets. There are many other places to cut—and of course, they have the option of raising taxes, something the conservative crowd simply refuses to do.

Like any other choice made by a politician, budgeting is a decision laced with ideology. When state after state slashes education dollars (and often at the same time funnels more of the money they do spend to private companies running charter schools, or gives it away as vouchers) we see what matters to them. And when you take a look at the programs that get funded, or the people who get fat tax cuts as money is drained out of the schools, well, you see what matters to state governments.

Here's a look at five of the governors taking money away from their states' kids, and a look at some of the things they are still funding:

http://www.alternet.org/story/154095/5_r...rk/?page=entire
It's a start.

#1324434 --- 02/12/12 01:49 AM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: ]
Ms Cracktholomew Offline

Loc: emailing FL1
Righties have no use for school. That's why they're all dumber than a box of rocks.

#1324435 --- 02/12/12 01:53 AM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Ms Cracktholomew]

Originally Posted By: Ms Cracktholomew
Righties have no use for school. That's why they're all dumber than a box of rocks.
They just want the communist indoctrination to stop!

#1324437 --- 02/12/12 02:07 AM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: ]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Chicago Jesus

Yeah right... please tell me which school districts have communist indoctrination as part of their curriculum, Harleyfraud.

I think Ms Cracktholomew had you right... Dumb as a box of rocks.

#1324438 --- 02/12/12 02:20 AM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: Josephus]

Yeah right... please tell me which school districts have communist indoctrination as part of their curriculum, Harleyfraud.

I think MS Cracktholomew had you right... Dumb as a box of rocks.
It's been going on for you years, comrade Stalin.

#1324445 --- 02/12/12 04:04 AM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
sands Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: MeRightYouWrong
Also, why does Satan even bother if He knows it was written of His impending defeat?

<scratches head>

Because just like you, Satan doesn't believe the Bible.

#1324446 --- 02/12/12 04:54 AM Re: Righties sacifice schools... [Re: ]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

I think MS Cracktholomew had you right... Dumb as a box of rocks.
It's been going on for you years, comrade Stalin.
Nice non-answer, Harleyfraud. You can't back up your statement any better than you did supplying your non-existant DD-214.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >