FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#132390 --- 02/23/05 02:15 AM Kitchen countertop
Elliot Offen Offline

Loc: riiiiiight???
I was recently checking on kitchen countertop. I went to Lowes for a simple laminant and ended up with an estimate of about $620. How does Trading Spaces get it done for under 300??? (Yeah, I know, sponsors...)
Anyway, what else can I do? Tile? Already tried painting, that lasted a couple of years, and we don't want to do it again. We want an upgrade but don't want to pour money into a house that we will probably only be in for a another few years. Any suggestions or ideas would be great... thanks!

FingerLakes1.com
#132391 --- 02/23/05 02:20 AM Re: Kitchen countertop
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
I didn't like tile on the counters...too hard to keep clean. I'd pay the extra for the laminate.

#132392 --- 02/23/05 12:20 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Quote:

I was recently checking on kitchen countertop. I went to Lowes for a simple laminant and ended up with an estimate of about $620. How does Trading Spaces get it done for under 300??? (Yeah, I know, sponsors...)
Anyway, what else can I do? Tile? Already tried painting, that lasted a couple of years, and we don't want to do it again. We want an upgrade but don't want to pour money into a house that we will probably only be in for a another few years. Any suggestions or ideas would be great... thanks!

Do you know how many linear feet of counter top you will need? (ie. 10 feet, 12 feet, 14 feet, 20 feet...) Is the counter top a straight piece or does it have right angles? The $620 seems high.

#132393 --- 02/23/05 01:40 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
some companies have "boo boo" cuts in their wearhouse and you can sometimes get these for a good price...
same with cabinets. One of our houses we put in a beautiful counter that was a "boo boo" - and it had a flaw in the pattern; not even noticeable.

#132394 --- 02/23/05 02:05 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Do you have a Grossman's Bargain Outlet near you? They sometimes have great deals on the "booboos" or "seconds" that WTL is talking about.

http://www.bargain-outlets.com/locations.html

#132395 --- 02/23/05 04:29 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
Where's the love Offline

CS - just a suggestion - if you are thinking of selling your house - countertops can be a selling point if they look nice; buyers do not want to think of replacing a kitchen - because it can be costly to a new homebuyer; you may want to put in the extra money now - in hopes to get in return when selling.

#132396 --- 02/23/05 04:44 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I replaced a counter top for a relative. The new counter was a basic laminant. It was around $10 per linear foot at HEP's. I could have bought one from other stores but it was the nearest store to the job. As long as the only item that you have to remove is the sink, it really should not be that difficult to replace. If you have a stove top and other items attached to the counter then it makes for more time.

With out knowing what you currently have now, if the counter top is in good shape, you may be able to buy just the laminant and glue (contact adhesive) that down to what you have now and save some money. But that depends on how your current counter top is designed.

#132397 --- 02/23/05 04:48 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
Buddy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Southend {Mars}
can you glue laminate over laminate? If thats the case mine should be easy and fairly cheap.

#132398 --- 02/23/05 04:51 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

You may want to 'rough' up the surface of the old counter top with sand paper to allow the glue to 'bite' onto the old counter top for better adhesion.

#132399 --- 02/25/05 12:59 AM Re: Kitchen countertop
Elliot Offen Offline

ok.. we currently have painted laminate.. there is a big L shape where the trunk of the L is a 33" wide island type. The only opening is the sink. Then, on the otherside of the stove is another L shape that has a smaller total area than the bigger piece. I forget the total measurement, but it's not very big. I will try HEP and check out the Bargain Outlet too..

Another point to ponder is that we don't want to price ourselves out of the market. We understand that we own a good starter house, and don't want to work ourselves higher than that... Thanks!

#132400 --- 02/25/05 04:15 AM Re: Kitchen countertop
drummom Offline

Loc: Arizona
We paid $84 for an 8 ft piece of laminate countertop at Home Depot that pretty closely matches the countertop that was put in when our house was built 6 years ago.

#132401 --- 02/26/05 09:08 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:

ok.. we currently have painted laminate.. there is a big L shape where the trunk of the L is a 33" wide island type. The only opening is the sink. Then, on the otherside of the stove is another L shape that has a smaller total area than the bigger piece. I forget the total measurement, but it's not very big. I will try HEP and check out the Bargain Outlet too..

Another point to ponder is that we don't want to price ourselves out of the market. We understand that we own a good starter house, and don't want to work ourselves higher than that... Thanks!

It sounds like you have around 12 to 14 feet (linear) of counter top. At $10 a foot, it would cost around $140 to $180 depending on the style that you choose. I was not sure how Lowe's came up with the $620. Must have been to install the counter top.

You say that you have a painted top - if the current coutertop is in good condition, you may be able to use a good quality paint primer and then repaint the top. (not usually recommended but the least expensive)

#132402 --- 02/26/05 10:33 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
Strawberry Jam Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Herkimer County NY
Carl, I was at the Bargain Center here in Herkimer last night, and they did indeed have a nice selection of countertops. They had close outs that were outrageous! Like 10' for $53!!! There was other pieces as well, I think they had newer stock that was like $73/ 8' section..
I love the Bargain Outlet, and though I am not doing too much remodeling on my own right now, I still like to go and browse and put together my fantasy kitchen ect.
Ok..so I have a boring life!

#132403 --- 02/27/05 01:51 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
Where's the love Offline

don't feel bad - I don't even have my OWN house and I spent an hour shopping around for wallpaper and different decorating ideas! Headed to the fabric store to buy fabric for curtains; my front window is 80+ inches wide - so I'm getting the hammer and nails out and playing "Trading Spaces" by myself today

#132404 --- 02/27/05 09:55 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

CS - there is counter top that is available for very reasonable prices as SJ indicated. It all depends on what you are looking for and if you can install it yourself. (or with a friends help) The major cost will likley be to have a carpenter install it.

Best of Luck

#132405 --- 02/27/05 10:57 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
amandalynn Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Carl, I just had my counter tops in my home replaced by Custom Surfacing out of Geneva. They look great and it seemed to be pretty reasonably priced. It might be worth checking out to see if they are what you are looking for. The # there is 315-781-8563. Hope this helps.

#132406 --- 02/28/05 04:17 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
Elliot Offen Offline

I am wondering if the price he quoted was for installed countertop.. hmmmmmm...

Thanks for the number amandalynn.. just may give them a call.

#132407 --- 03/27/05 10:52 AM Re: Kitchen countertop
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Painting a Countertop

From "Ask DIY"

Q: Can I paint my laminate countertops? Do I need a special kind of paint and sealer?

A: (Sharon Hanby-Robie, Ask DIY Remodeling expert) Yes, you can paint countertops as long as you follow the suggestions below.

Materials:

Ammonia cleaner
Primer
Paints
Paintbrushes; rollers
Painter's tape
Protective rubber gloves

Steps: Clean the countertop thoroughly with some sudsy ammonia.

Prime the countertop with a bonding primer to ensure that the paint will adhere to the non-porous surface .

Let the primer set for about 24 hours before applying paint.

Apply a base coat of paint in your choice of color . Lighter colors are recommended for the base color. Apply two to three thin coats of paint, allowing drying time between each coat.

Once the base coat is applied, some creative painting techniques will help dress up the surface. In our demonstration, the design included some reveal-stripes create by applying horizontal stripes of low-tack painter's tape before applying the decorative paint pattern. For this technique, apply the tape so that it is straight and even, and press it down firmly. Pressing the edges with a plastic spoon will help ensure a tight edge so that paint doesn't bleed beneath the edges of the tape.

For our painting technique, a moist sponge was used to create a mottled pattern. Dampen the sponge, dip it in the paint you've selected for the pattern color, then gently tap the coated sponge on a piece of newspaper to remove excess paint.

Use the sponge to apply the paint to the cabinet surface. To get a natural, randomized pattern, pounce the sponge lightly on the surface while continually turning your wrist back and forth to get a natural effect. Don't over-paint. Create "breathing room" for the pattern colors by using the lighter base-coat for negative space in the pattern.

Use different surfaces of the sponge, or different sized sponges, to create variation and pattern details. Tap the paint-covered sponge on the surface lightly, and keep turning your wrist for variability.

While the paint is still wet, carefully remove the strips of tape to reveal the striped elements in the pattern. For our countertop, use of three colors of paint for the pattern helped create depth and visual interest.

Latex water-based polyurethane sealer was applied to protect the painted surface and provide a nice shine.

Tip: When using polyurethane, do not shake or stir the can of polyurethane before application. Shaking a clear sealer like this may create unwanted bubbles in the finish.

#132408 --- 03/27/05 04:54 PM Re: Kitchen countertop
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
I'm going to try this...even if it holds up a year till I can afford a new one.