FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1323758 --- 02/09/12 06:46 AM Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected-
WilllOWisp Offline

Loc: Seneca County

Edited by WilllOWisp (02/09/12 06:49 AM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1323783 --- 02/09/12 12:20 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: WilllOWisp]
sands Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: WilllOWisp
This is interesting.

What is even more interesting is that kids everywhere except Le Roy must have some sort of natural immunity. Maybe it's something in their water that gives them this immunity that the kids in Le Roy don't seem to have?

#1323820 --- 02/09/12 03:15 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: sands]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Pretty sure Facebook and Twitter have more to due with the "illness" than hydrofracking.

#1323842 --- 02/09/12 04:51 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Greymane]
WilllOWisp Offline

View the video at the bottom of the page. These are real people who have seen their land ruined by poor practices by the Gas Company. One lady ran the faucet in the kitchen sink and lit a match to it. The water burned \:\( I am all for fracking, but "safe" fracking. The people in Bradford county PA have had a bad experience with it. How can we make sure that our lakes wont suffer, not to mention our drinking water supply.

#1323847 --- 02/09/12 05:08 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: WilllOWisp]
cRaZeD Offline

Fracking has not been suspected in any of the news coverage. This link is not really from a reputable source. Someone venting their frustrations and trying to blame something else on fracking. There is a thread already started under the Health/Wellness portion of these forums.

#1323849 --- 02/09/12 05:13 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: cRaZeD]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth
Fracking will not be mentioned because there is a lot of money spent campaigning in favor of fracking as a means of "ridding our reliance on foreign oil".

The money spent by energy companies buys not only commercial time but censorship in the media.

#1323867 --- 02/09/12 06:10 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: cRaZeD]
WilllOWisp Offline

Originally Posted By: KiDcRaZeD
Fracking has not been suspected in any of the news coverage. This link is not really from a reputable source. Someone venting their frustrations and trying to blame something else on fracking. There is a thread already started under the Health/Wellness portion of these forums.
That's why I couldn't find it. My Bad

#1323870 --- 02/09/12 06:12 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: WilllOWisp]
cRaZeD Offline

Ahhh - it's ok. Sometimes it is very hard to find related topics on here. Believe me, I tend to think it's something environmental, I just haven't seen that come out in any news reports yet. It's just really weird that it's only affecting individuals from LeRoy or ones that had something to do in LeRoy in the past. I definitely do not think it's from a strep bacteria. Why don't you hear it happening in clusters like that in other locales, strep is an everyday occurence in school age kids.

Originally Posted By: KiDcRaZeD
That's why I couldn't find it. My Bad

#1323874 --- 02/09/12 06:21 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
Ayuveda Offline

Loc: Imagine
Originally Posted By: MeRightYouWrong
Fracking will not be mentioned because there is a lot of money spent campaigning in favor of fracking as a means of "ridding our reliance on foreign oil".

The money spent by energy companies buys not only commercial time but censorship in the media.

Spot on. However, corporatist can bury toxic realities for only so long.

Remember Love Canal.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-tragedy-of-the-love-canal/

#1323971 --- 02/09/12 09:32 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Ayuveda]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Remember Fukushima (going on at this moment).

#1323990 --- 02/09/12 11:04 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: WilllOWisp]
sands Offline

One lady ran the faucet in the kitchen sink and lit a match to it. The water burned \:\(

How can you point to a video where even the filmmaker concedes the fire wasn't caused by fracking to prove fracking is bad? Investigators found that fracking had nothing to do with the water catching fire. The water well was drilled into a naturally occurring methane pocket. Imagine that! A water well dug in the same location being drilled for gas contained............gas! What are the chances?

#1323997 --- 02/09/12 11:28 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: sands]
Ayuveda Offline

Originally Posted By: sands
One lady ran the faucet in the kitchen sink and lit a match to it. The water burned \:\(

How can you point to a video where even the filmmaker concedes the fire wasn't caused by fracking to prove fracking is bad? Investigators found that fracking had nothing to do with the water catching fire. The water well was drilled into a naturally occurring methane pocket. Imagine that! A water well dug in the same location being drilled for gas contained............gas! What are the chances?

Chances? When it comes to fracking pretty good.

Scientific Study Links Flammable Drinking Water to Fracking

by Abrahm Lustgarten
ProPublica, May 9, 2011, 2 p.m.

For the first time, a scientific study has linked natural gas drilling and hydraulic fracturing with a pattern of drinking water contamination so severe that some faucets can be lit on fire.
The peer-reviewed study, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, stands to shape the contentious debate over whether drilling is safe and begins to fill an information gap that has made it difficult for lawmakers and the public to understand the risks.

The research was conducted by four scientists at Duke University. They found that levels of flammable methane gas in drinking water wells increased to dangerous levels when those water supplies were close to natural gas wells. They also found that the type of gas detected at high levels in the water was the same type of gas that energy companies were extracting from thousands of feet underground, strongly implying that the gas may be seeping underground through natural or manmade faults and fractures, or coming from cracks in the well structure itself.

“Our results show evidence for methane contamination of shallow drinking water systems in at least three areas of the region and suggest important environmental risks accompanying shale gas exploration worldwide,” the article states

...The average concentration of the methane detected in the water wells near drilling sites fell squarely within a range that the U.S. Department of Interior says is dangerous and requires urgent “hazard mitigation” action, according to the study.

The researchers did not find evidence that the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing had contaminated any of the wells they tested, allaying for the time being some of the greatest fears among environmentalists and drilling opponents.

But they were alarmed by what they described as a clear correlation between drilling activity and the seepage of gas contaminants underground, a danger in itself and evidence that pathways do exist for contaminants to migrate deep within the earth.

“We certainly didn’t expect to see such a strong relationship between the concentration of methane in water and the nearest gas wells. That was a real surprise,” said Robert Jackson, a biology professor at Duke and one of the report’s authors.

Methane contamination of drinking water wells has been a common complaint among people living in gas drilling areas across the country. A 2009 investigation by ProPublica revealed that methane contamination from drilling was widespread, including in Colorado, Ohio and Pennsylvania. In several cases, homes blew up after gas seeped into their basements or water supplies. In Pennsylvania a 2004 accident killed three people, including a baby.

In Dimock, Pa., where part of the Duke study was performed, some residents’ water wells exploded, or their water could be lit on fire. In at least a dozen cases in Colorado, ProPublica’s investigation found, methane had infiltrated drinking water supplies that residents said were clean until hydraulic fracturing was performed nearby.

Article here: http://www.propublica.org/article/scientific-study-links-flammable-drinking-water-to-fracking

#1324011 --- 02/10/12 12:49 AM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Ayuveda]
sands Offline

Originally Posted By: Ayuveda
The research was conducted by four scientists at Duke University.

No. It was done by Stephen G. Osborna, Avner Vengoshb, Nathaniel R. Warnerb, and Robert B. Jacksona from the Center on Global Change, Nicholas School of the Environment, Division of Earth and Ocean Sciences. Some samples were tested by the Biology Department at Duke University.

Why do they feel the need to lie about who did the study?

#1324014 --- 02/10/12 01:27 AM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: sands]
WilllOWisp Offline

I want fracking to be safe. For us and the environment. I LOVE the idea of getting a check once in awhile for signing up with them, but not at the expense of our lakes, foliage, wildlife ( I just love lower life roaders, they can get pretty wild) and drinking water.

Frack away, but frack safe We must preserve lower life road wildlife

#1324015 --- 02/10/12 01:28 AM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: sands]
Ayuveda Offline

The research was conducted by four scientists at Duke University.

No. It was done by Stephen G. Osborna, Avner Vengoshb, Nathaniel R. Warnerb, and Robert B. Jacksona from the Center on Global Change, Nicholas School of the Environment, Division of Earth and Ocean Sciences. Some samples were tested by the Biology Department at Duke University.

Why do they feel the need to lie about who did the study?

Research was conducted by the fore mentioned scientists at both the Biology Dept. and the Environmental Isotope Laboratory of Duke University.

This was a peer-reviewed study.

Are you suggesting a conspiracy of intellectual impropriety?

wow.

#1324023 --- 02/10/12 02:01 AM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: sands]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN

A rep from Cuomo's office was at a conference I attended recently and he said those in PA that could light their water on fire after fracking could light their water on fire before they ever drilled for gas. But I knew Cuomo was lobbying for fracking at the time. I just hesitate to take people at their word on either side.

#1324034 --- 02/10/12 02:59 AM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
sands Offline

Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot
A rep from Cuomo's office was at a conference I attended recently and he said those in PA that could light their water on fire after fracking could light their water on fire before they ever drilled for gas. But I knew Cuomo was lobbying for fracking at the time. I just hesitate to take people at their word on either side.

Same thing the study said, "the gas may be seeping underground through natural or manmade faults and fractures"

#1324089 --- 02/10/12 01:02 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Rich_Tallcot

I know folks in Hall that can light their water. I told thjem to blame fracking and sue. ;\)

#1324147 --- 02/10/12 05:34 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Ayuveda]
Greymane Offline

The peer-reviewed study, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences...

Here is the problems with articles like this, (and I am not taking a side on the fracking issue...but, I work with these gas guys and know where their motivation lies) this statement means nothing. The study was peer-reviewed...BUT, it gives no reference to WHO reviewed it or what was the recommendation of the review. The review may have recommended that the study be totally disregarded, but is was still "peer-reviewed". Link that to the fact that is was published, and it makes it look much more credible....BUT, (particularly with medical articles) any number of people will tell you that what gets published is far more related to the lobbying efforts of those trying to get it published and not related to the actual significance of the article in the community. Just some thoughts.

#1324162 --- 02/10/12 07:05 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Greymane]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Originally Posted By: Greymane
Here is the problems with articles like this, (and I am not taking a side on the fracking issue...but, I work with these gas guys and know where their motivation lies) this statement means nothing. The study was peer-reviewed...BUT, it gives no reference to WHO reviewed it or what was the recommendation of the review. The review may have recommended that the study be totally disregarded, but is was still "peer-reviewed". Link that to the fact that is was published, and it makes it look much more credible....BUT, (particularly with medical articles) any number of people will tell you that what gets published is far more related to the lobbying efforts of those trying to get it published and not related to the actual significance of the article in the community. Just some thoughts.

That defines propaganda.

#1324167 --- 02/10/12 07:11 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Greymane]
Zealot Offline

Loc: Yates
Funny thing about science - scientific facts are still scientific facts no matter how scientists agree or disagree with them or how many peers review. For every scientist you can find to disagree with the facts someone else can find one who will agree with the facts but in the end it has no affect on the facts themselves. The only thing that can be changed is the "expert's" interpretation of the facts. Problem with interpretations is that they can be bought.

#1324174 --- 02/10/12 07:31 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Zealot]
WilllOWisp Offline

Just like man made global warming. Yeah it's man made alright. Global warming happens on this planet as well as global cooling. It is a natural process the earth goes through.

The man made part is to blame humanity ,make them feel guilty so they will pay through insane taxes, indoctrinate the youth in public school and make Al Gore and his ilk rich. That is my definition of "man made" global warming after taking Mr C's Earth Science class at Mynderse. Loved ya Mr C!

Edited by WilllOWisp (02/10/12 07:32 PM)

#1324196 --- 02/10/12 08:23 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: WilllOWisp]
Greymane Offline

Pssst...don't tell anybody, but what we really have to worry about is SOLAR cooling! That is gonna kill the whole solar system someday (and I am pretty sure Al Gore caused it).

#1324205 --- 02/10/12 08:52 PM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: Greymane]

Originally Posted By: Greymane
Pssst...don't tell anybody, but what we really have to worry about is SOLAR cooling! That is gonna kill the whole solar system someday (and I am pretty sure Al Gore caused it).
Stop picking on Al Goreoracl...he's a god in this mind.

#1324214 --- 02/11/12 12:18 AM Re: Le Roy Mystery Disease Update: Fracking suspected- [Re: ]
WilllOWisp Offline

Someday. our Galaxy will collide with the Andromeda Galaxy. Yes it is true. \:\(

I heard Al Gore is preparing to tax us now, so we can prevent this collision. We just have to keep voting democratic or Nazi party (same difference)forever. I hear they will start writing this policy with our current democratic senate. It's called the Akaka Udall Pryor Morons ooops I mean Moran Heller Crapo galaxy collision bill. A Bi partisan effort.

*Please note, these are actual current members of Congress.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >