FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1322779 --- 02/04/12 07:41 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: bluezone]
Ayuveda Offline

Loc: Imagine
Originally Posted By: bluezone
Originally Posted By: twocats
Yeah, silly me, thinking that education and health care should be a higher priority than world dominance. If we must pay taxes, the taxes should be used to enhance our society, not to destroy others.

if you were in the military would your stance be different?

Why? Do you actually believe military indoctrination changes a person's core values?

FingerLakes1.com
#1322783 --- 02/04/12 08:12 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: Ayuveda]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
My priorities would be a smaller military with first class protective gear and VA hospitals, and I don't think soldiers who survive combat should ever have to pay taxes again. They've paid enough.

#1322784 --- 02/04/12 08:33 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: twocats]
DeadDave Offline

Loc: 6 feet under
My priorities would be a smaller military with first class protective gear and VA hospitals, and I don't think soldiers who survive combat should ever have to pay taxes again. They've paid enough.
That's because you want more money...right!

#1322973 --- 02/06/12 01:01 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: twocats]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY

So you want to increse the military budget?

#1323103 --- 02/06/12 10:02 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: cwjga]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

A smaller military...

I should have said drastically smaller.

#1323142 --- 02/06/12 11:54 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: twocats]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

A smaller military...

I would say smaller in budget... not in people. DoD wastes money like a drunken marine on technology they don't need, and sometimes don't use even if they develope it.

#1323283 --- 02/07/12 04:02 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: Josephus]

Originally Posted By: Josephus
A smaller military...

I would say smaller in budget... not in people. DoD wastes money like a drunken marine on technology they don't need, and sometimes don't use even if they develope it.

They all piss money away like a drunken sailors, even your department comrade Josephus.

#1323398 --- 02/07/12 09:19 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: twocats]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

A smaller military...

No you did not have to say that, I just wonder how you get a smaller budget and do this "with first class protective gear and VA hospitals, and I don't think soldiers who survive combat should ever have to pay taxes again"

Now had they not wasted all the money on Humvees turned into tanks there might have been some money to do that.

#1323414 --- 02/07/12 09:58 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: cwjga]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

There is one idea. I'm sure there are hundreds more, but it will never happen.

#1323428 --- 02/07/12 11:25 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: ]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Chicago Jesus
A smaller military...

They all piss money away like a drunken sailors, even your department comrade Josephus.

That's probably true... even the small federal agency I work for probably isn't as efficient with its funding as it should be. But DoD has by far the largest budget, and it keeps getting increased every year. Usually when there is a lot of money lying around, someone figures out how to spend it (aka. waste it), and I'm going to guess that the likelihood of that happening increases with the size of the budget.

#1323530 --- 02/08/12 01:12 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: Josephus]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

A smaller military...

That's probably true... even the small federal agency I work for probably isn't as efficient with its funding as it should be. But DoD has by far the largest budget, and it keeps getting increased every year. Usually when there is a lot of money lying around, someone figures out how to spend it (aka. waste it), and I'm going to guess that the likelihood of that happening increases with the size of the budget.

Wow, could it be Liberals and Conservatives in agreement?

Could it be that both sides see past the spin of the powers that be in DC and the media.

#1323552 --- 02/08/12 02:28 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: cwjga]

Originally Posted By: cwjga
A smaller military...

Wow, could it be Liberals and Conservatives in agreement?

Could it be that both sides see past the spin of the powers that be in DC and the media.

No one would miss his department anyway.

#1323576 --- 02/08/12 03:17 PM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
and I don't think soldiers who survive combat should ever have to pay taxes again.

Even those soldiers who have volunteered to serve in the criminal, illegal wars of the Empire? Hasn't this country already become too militaristic and war-loving?

How about those who "serve" the country in the federal law enforcement agencies? I think I read that there are now 31 of them. CIA? All of those people can be shot at, too, and the CIA also participates in the war crimes.

How many classes of priviledged, "Super Citizens" do you feel is the optimum number to shoot for? How much do you really wish to further divide an already too-divided citizenry? How much do you wish to further increase the inequality of the tax burden in the nation?

I'll use my dad for an example. He fought from Normandy to Okinawa, and he never even took his county property tax exemption...he was under the impression that service one of the prices that some must pay, by chance of events, for living in what was then a relatively free country.

#1324048 --- 02/10/12 07:06 AM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
http://lewrockwell.com/burris/burris23.1.html

Article, and some reading, on education. I haven't read the links yet, but I'd guess he doesn't blame just the teachers, judging by one of his rhetorical questions, and by the fact that he's a teacher.

#1324081 --- 02/10/12 11:22 AM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Thanks VM, I'm home sick, sick sick today. I needed something to read.

I can tell you that many of these mandates make education worse. In order to meet federal NCLB guidelines, many states have drastically reduced requirements for graduation. So when people say NYS is 38th in graduation rate, they're not comparing apples and apples. The whole system is designed to fail. A corporate take over of public education is currently underway. Teachers will soon have all of the professional status of a 'sales associate.' CEO's will rake in the profits and another segment of the Middle class will be decimated by corporate greed.

Edited by twocats (02/10/12 11:27 AM)

#1324083 --- 02/10/12 11:43 AM Re: Priorities in the US [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

I started to read the prologue. I'm not sure the author and I are coming from the same place at all. In the prologue, a principal, in a crowded auditorium, screams at a student, "VERONICA, YOU ANIMAL, SHUT UP!" and thinks this must happen thousands of times daily in education. Wow. Thankfully, I work in an environment where this would NEVER happen. All children are treated respectfully, their actions addressed humanely.
I'll keep reading though. I'm not going anywhere. ;\)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2