FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1300001 --- 09/26/11 03:23 PM Pat's time out
zipdrive Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY
Did anyone catch the reason the Pat's second time out in the second half disappeared? It was when Belichick was railing on the officials. The commentator just said, "I have no idea what just happened", and there was no further mention of it. Just curious.

FingerLakes1.com
#1300004 --- 09/26/11 03:43 PM Re: Pat's time out [Re: zipdrive]
ovidtech Offline

Loc: Between.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4704150/referee-pool-report-on-timeout

The following is a pool report from referee Carl Cheffers:

Question: What was the explanation on the Patriots' second charged timeout at the end of the game?

Answer: That was after the replay [review]?

Question: [Correct], after the replay.

Answer: Coach Belichick wanted an explanation as to what was going to take place after the replay. Obviously, we had a reversal. We put the ball at the half-yard line. The clock was going to start. He wanted a confirmation of what was going to happen at that point. I went over there and explained to him that the ball was at the half. He asked me when the clock was going to start. I said as soon as I was done with the explanation with him that I was going to go out on the field and start the clock. He stayed down there. I didn't understand exactly why he stayed down there. I went back over there and he said he wanted a timeout. So I gave him his second charged timeout.

Bill Belichick Press Conference Transcript
http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/B...27-19e3e95ee023

#1300043 --- 09/26/11 08:09 PM Re: Pat's time out [Re: ovidtech]
zipdrive Offline

Thanks, Ovidtech. That should explain it, but I am still curious as to his motivation. Just needed to pull it together for a moment perhaps.

#1300052 --- 09/26/11 09:40 PM Re: Pat's time out [Re: zipdrive]
ovidtech Offline

Loc: Between.
Standard timeout is 40 sec. It did look odd.

#1300057 --- 09/26/11 10:33 PM Re: Pat's time out [Re: ovidtech]
Daisy Z Duke Offline

Loc: Hazzard County
Bad boy Bill was his own worst enemy. Took him long enough to call a time out...he wanted more time on the clock and the clock was running. And Bill...we can lip read...not smart.

#1300079 --- 09/27/11 06:18 AM Re: Pat's time out [Re: ovidtech]
zipdrive Offline

Yeah, you could clearly lip-read him saying "quarterback sneak" at one point. What a fun game to watch, if you're a Bills fan, that is.