Topic Options
#1292304 --- 08/14/11 02:16 PM 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
10 New Fried Foods

Deep fried bacon? Really?

FingerLakes1.com
#1292409 --- 08/15/11 09:55 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: twocats]
BrumWife Offline

Loc: Geneva
I like fried pickles. I have heard form a friend that went to the Texas state fair that fried bacon and butter were pretty damn good, but I don't know.

#1292411 --- 08/15/11 09:56 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: twocats]
BrumWife Offline

Loc: Geneva
I like fried pickles. I have heard from a friend that went to the Texas state fair that fried bacon and butter were pretty damn good, but I don't know.

#1292559 --- 08/15/11 10:53 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: twocats]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
I like my bacon baked.

#1292562 --- 08/16/11 12:28 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: VM Smith]
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
I had a 1# package of real thick cut bacon I grilled last week after I had grilled my pork chops and eaten them. Just tried something different. Nice bed of coals (I use real charcoal) no flames it was amazing and no messy cleaning to do.

#1292566 --- 08/16/11 05:08 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: RedGreen]
s2hphoto.com Offline

Quaker Steak and Lube has deep fried pickle spears and they are awesome! MMMMmmmm

I agree with VM.... I prefer my bacon baked. I place it on a wire rack on a cookie sheet. Less grease and ohhh sooo crispy!

#1292637 --- 08/16/11 02:18 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: s2hphoto.com]
MeRightYouWrong Offline

Loc: Mountain of Truth
How about Deep Fried Butter on a Stick?

What kind of people eat this stuff? Probably the same that put mayonnaise on aspirin.

/rimshot

#1292702 --- 08/16/11 06:58 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: MeRightYouWrong
How about Deep Fried Butter on a Stick?

What kind of people eat this stuff? Probably the same that put mayonnaise on aspirin.

/rimshot

Hmnnn...could be people like this:
[img]http://wahoha.com/static/images

But it's probably people like this:
/ci/77370-220x220.png[/img]

#1292703 --- 08/16/11 06:58 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: MeRightYouWrong]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: MeRightYouWrong
How about [url=http://eater.com/archives/2011/08/10/a-whole-stick-of-fried-butter-on-a-stick-at-the-iowa-state-fair.php]Deep Fried Butter on a Stick?

Probably people like this:

#1292704 --- 08/16/11 07:06 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: VM Smith]
RedGreen Offline

Not really nice I think you're above that.

#1292748 --- 08/16/11 09:58 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: RedGreen]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

You think it's skinny people who eat deep-fried butter on a stick? It's not as if I'm making fun of paraplegics. After all, she chose to be that way. If she has pride and self-respect, and if people don't enable her by pretending that the problem isn't poor diet choices and gluttony, or even by pretending it's not a major self-inflicted problem, then she's more likely to choose to stop being that way.

As my dad used to say, "I would never allow myself to look that way.".

And it's not as if I'm insulting someone who will take note of my implied comment that it's not attractive. She's someone who almost certainly lives far away and doesn't read these forums. Most importantly, she probably put that pic up, as a gag, or allows it to be online. If it doesn't bother her, why should it bother you? She knew the pic was being taken.

#1292756 --- 08/16/11 10:24 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: VM Smith]
RedGreen Offline

"After all, she chose to be that way."

You don't know that. Many health issues could be a factor for that girl. I'll admit she probably knew the pic was being taken but did she know it was going to be put on the web? An entirely different proposition, to me anyways.

I've seen that pic before, other people like Lusi with his Ovid jokes. Making fun of people for how they look to me is just cruel. Maybe I'm wrong.

#1292757 --- 08/16/11 10:27 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: RedGreen]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Self-esteem (or the esteem of others, IMO) should not be based on how much space one takes up in this world.

#1292760 --- 08/16/11 10:36 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: twocats]
RedGreen Offline

\:\)
I am certain people laugh at me too I'm no movie star it hurts to be laughed at for how you look. No one has that right to be so judgemental.

#1292767 --- 08/16/11 11:35 PM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: RedGreen]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

First, you don't look bad; you keep body normal sized, which many Americans don't choose to do. This is the fattest developed country, and there's no need for it to be this way, except that people eat too much crap food. That's their choice, and I judge it to be the wrong choice.

Fattness isn't a disease; it's a character weakness, and a collection of bad habits, compounded by ignorance of its true cause, which is sugars and starches. It's not eating fats that makes one fat. And it's 2/3 diet, and only 1/3 exercise, if even that. IOW, even if you're so fat that you have bad knees, or you have emphysema or a bad heart, and can't exercise, you can still change your situation.

One has to be reasonable, though. Pure fat, coated and fried in fat? Barf.

Again, I'm not making fun of people who have no choice in how they are, such as paraplegics, or people who stutter. I'm not even making fun of an individual, really; I just happened to find that picture that she had allowed to be taken. I'm making fun of an entire country that is on an out-of-control sugar gluttony binge.

If you had a friend who was a falling-down drunk, who passed out in a puddle of puke every other night, would you enable him by telling him that he was normal, instead of being way out of whack, and not point out what he needed to do? Would you hold him up as a good example, or a bad one? Would you think that you had no right to say anything?

The problem is not in showing that someone is that way, by merely posting a picture. That pic is reality. I didn't comment on how she looked; I just posted the reality, and commented on a probable cause. The problem is the reality, not the depiction of it, or the statement that people who eat deep-fried butter probably look that way.

IOW, if she chooses to look that way, then pointing it out isn't what causes it. Why blame me? Would you blame me if I posted a pic of a pile of wood ashes, and commented that it's stupid and unnecessary to set off Roman candles in your kitchen? That would be judgmental, too. But, it wouldn't be my fault, and I don't think the comment would be out of line

#1292770 --- 08/17/11 12:15 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: VM Smith]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Many, if not most, people have a flaw or two. Bad eating habits just happen to be one of the most visible.

#1292771 --- 08/17/11 12:33 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: VM Smith]
RedGreen Offline

Yes, I keep my body "normal sized". Thanks for noticing lol. I think I am in damn good shape for having a birthday coming up I don't want to post a number to. ;\)
OK It's 54 in September.

But that doesn't mean people don't laugh at me. People want Hollywood faces too and I don't have that. Some women find me very attractive,and charming. Some laugh and think I'm an idiot when I flirt with them. That's the cruel judgement part I think the World could do without. Dating is so freaking hard to begin with. If someone has the guts to approach you be nice.

#1292773 --- 08/17/11 02:12 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: RedGreen]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL, don't sweat 54, youngster. Look at it this way; if you were an oak tree, you'd be a young one.

And I'll agree that one should try not to hurt any individual's feelings unnecessarily, by mocking a given person. But to me, that's not the same as saying, in general, that being fat is unhealthy. I mean, I can like and respect a person, and still have the right to think that obesity, in general, is unhealthy, unnatural, and unattractive, and that it's a choice to be fat or not.

We males are hardwired by evolution to look for a certain build and features in potential mates, as a marker of fitness for reproduction, child bearing, and child rearing, hence we have a certain "template" for judging attractiveness. By hardwired, I mean that males who wanted those attributes carried on their genes more successfully, and those "wants" were passed on, in the bargain. I don't apologize for what is a natural and commonly prevailing preference.

I'm not judging worth as a person; I'm just saying that if I can't see facial bones, I don't feel the urge to mate. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be glad to have her as a friend.

In one sense, we ALL have the "fat gene" to some extent, otherwise our genes wouldn't have survived tens of thousands of years of intermittent famines, so I really don't buy the genetic excuse.

It comes down to what you eat, and if you don't care about how you look, you'll just eat the crap that passes for food in modern America, and won't take the trouble to learn anything about proper nutrition. And one MUST make that effort; a good part of what the government advises is bs; they get their info, or even marching orders, in large part from the same companies that grow and manufacture the crap, whether it be pasteurized, homogenized milk, or high fructose corn syrup.

A good example would be the gov't push, in the last 30 years or better, to eat more carbs and less saturated animal fat. That time period coincides with the fattening of America.

A lot of it is TV advertising, to which I'm fairly immune. I don't own a TV; I read, and one thing that really interests me is nutrition.

Sugar is hidden, often with different names, in so many things that it changes your metabolism, to the point of craving it. Ya gotta be a fairly educated label reader, and it takes a little work to educate yourself. Some breakfast cereals are more than half sugar, in one form or another. I look at the kids, particularly, and I'm appalled and very sad.

"It is hard to comprehend me massive increase in sugar use in our society. In 1815, the average resident of Great Britain consumed about 15 pounds of sugar per year. When Cleave's book was published in England in 1974, this had risen to about 120 pounds per year.

A Nation of Sugar Junkies

to the US today, sugar consumption is now around 150 pounds per year for every man, woman and child. Imagine if people had to buy their year's supply of sugar all at one time. A typical American family of four would have to fill the back of a station wagon with 12 fifty-pound sacks of sugar!

The average American consumes about 20 teaspoons (almost one-half cup) of sugar per day, which accounts for 16 percent of our daily intake of calories. For teenagers, sugar consumption accounts for a full 20 percent of calories per day. In 1977 sugar accounted for "only" 11 percent of our caloric intake.

Cleave's book doesn't even mention corn syrup, but this sweetener has become a significant source of our sugar intake in recent years. US consumption of corn symp increased 400 percent between 1900 and 1980. One explanation for this dramatic increase is the similarly explosive rise m the consumption of soft drinks sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup.

Between 1960 and 1980, US soft drink consumption increased 300 percent, m 1997, the soft drink industry produced 14 billion gallons of soft drinks, twice as much as in 1974, and Americans shelled out over $54 billion on this "liquid candy." Today, the average American consumes 38 gallons of soft drinks per year. Irseasy to see why one-fifth of our sugar intake is accounted for by soft drinks.

1 remember as a kid having to get a written permission slip from my mother to drink a bottle of soda in camp. Today, there are no restraints. The average teenage boy now gets 15 teaspoons per day of sugar from soft drinks. Twenty years ago, teenage boys consumed twice as much milk as soda pop; today they consume twice as much soda pop as milk. Nutritionists warn that soda consumption may be contributing to osteoporosis since many girls and young women drink soda instead of milk, which is rich in calcium.

Older readers will remember that in the 1950s, Coca-Cola came only in a 6 1/2-ounce bottle. That soon grew into the 12-ounce can. Today, 20-ounce bottles are readily available from vending machines, and a 64-ounce 600-calorie Double Gulp is as near as your local 7-Eleven. It always shocks me to see the wall of soft drinks at Wal-Mart's checkout, with two-liter bottles available for as little as 88 cents. For a lot of people, sugar is a cheap "high" that comes in a brightly colored bottle. Mixed with caffeine (in cola) it is an especially potent mixture.

Believe it or not, even toddlers are being primed for a lifetime of sugar addiction. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), major manufacturers "encourage feeding soft drinks to toddlers by licensing their logos to a maker of baby bottles, Munchkin Bottling, Inc. Infants and toddlers are four times likelier to be fed soda pop out of those bottles than out of regular baby bottles." We have not yet spoken about the link between sugar and cancer. However, the affinity of cancerous tissue for sugar (glucose) is well known. The Nobel laureate Otto Warburg believed that cancers ferment sugar rather man respire in the normal way. This fact is the basis of the high-tech diagnostic tool known as positron emission tomography (PET). PET scans are x-rays that reveal areas of heightened glucose metabolism in the body, which may indicate the presence of cancer.

It certainly is suspicious that, like the other diseases I have mentioned, the incidence of cancer increased tremendously at the same time as sugar consumption went sky-high. There are some studies showing that decreasing one's exposure to refined carbohydrates could diminish your risk of getting colorectal cancer.

My strong advice is to avoid sugar whenever possible. In these dog days of summer, water with a twist of lemon is an extremely refreshing drink. If you are hooked on carbonated beverages, try soda water that is flavored with fruit essences (cranberry, lemon, lime, etc.) but that contains no sweeteners. You will quickly come to like the taste and will never regret having given up cloying sweeteners. http://www.cancerdecisions.com/sybscr.htinl"

#1292815 --- 08/17/11 08:53 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: RedGreen]
s2hphoto.com Offline

Quote:
You don't know that. Many health issues could be a factor for that girl.

This is true, however 99% of weight gain due to a medical condition is caused by hypothyroidism. With a visit to the Dr., a simple blood test and medication (synthroid) it can be controlled very easily.

For most it is a CHOICE. I remember years ago on a show where a woman was bedridden because she weighed close to 1,000 pounds. She was crying and said she never choice to be this way... even though there was a 2 liter of soda and a dozen donuts on the night stand next to the bed \:\/ To get her to the hospital to receive the medical care and controlled diet to help her lose weight they had to remove the bedroom wall, use a forklift to lift the bed out, and a truck to transport her there.

At work I currently have 3 co-workers who have had gastric bypass to help with weight loss and to help with their cholesterol, high blood pressure, and TypeII Diabetes. All three after surgery were able to stop their cholesterol meds, BP meds, and glucophage for their conditions. Unfortunately the surgery did not solve the problem of WHY they over ate! Now ALL 3 have gained their weight back and MORE!

I am fat because I CHOOSE to be.... Some people eat to LIVE.... I on the other hand LIVE to EAT! Currently it is not a problem for me. My cholesterol is under 200, no diabetes or pre-diabetic warnings, my blood pressure is consistently normal at well as my resting pulse consistently between 70-80. If any of it changes(which it will because I am nearing 40) I will have to reevaluate my love for food.

#1292843 --- 08/17/11 10:50 AM Re: 10 Things That Should Not Be Fried [Re: s2hphoto.com]
Jazzmine Offline

Loc: Waterloo, NY
Scottie I disagree. There are some patients that have a difficult time getting a thyroid problem diagnosed.

The "simple" blood test is not always interpreted the same by laboratories and Dr's. Some Dr's don't test for T4 / T3 and antibodies in conjuntion with TSH. Readings can be normal in range but a patient still have symptoms of a problem. It also depends on what scale normal is being considered on.

Sometimes it is a fight to be diagnosed with a thyroid issue. Many Dr's only test for the TSH level. While this is an important part, if a patient has the antibodies they could also have symptoms of thryoid issues even if their readings are considered in the normal range. From my research it is clear that in many cases patients that test positive for the antibodies but have normal TSH levels eventually many years after the antibodies have attacked the Thyroid function to it's breaking point, finally test in the abnormal range and are finally considered for treatment of their thyroid after dealing with the symptoms for years and years.

Some Dr's are beginning to see this and treat patients accordingly. It is hard to find a Dr that takes the whole picture into consideration. It is much easier to say "Oh this patient just wants an excuse for being fat" ignoring symptoms and the over all picture of what is going on.

Also it can take several years for a patient's thryoid medication to be adjusted to the appropriate level. For many people this is a fight for treatment and there are many articles out there on this subject.

The point is that everyone is different. Everyone metabolizes foods in different ways. It's not as simple as he or she choosing to be overweight or choosing to be skinny. You have to do what's right for you and for your own health. There are plenty of people that don't give a crap about healthy food that are in normal weight range. Just as there are plenty of people that eat a healthy diet that have trouble with weight gain / loss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >