FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1285591 --- 07/14/11 01:52 PM Seneca County urges total smoking ban
??? Offline

Loc: NY, USA
C'mon people- Let's hear some opinions on this one!

Seneca County urges total smoking ban

FingerLakes1.com
07/14/2011@2:12PM

In an article by the Finger Lakes Times, it was noted that Seneca County possesses one of the highest adult smoking rates in the state. Statistics show that 24 percent of Seneca County adults smoke, compared to 15.5 percent statewide.
Public Health Director Vicki Swinehart and the county Board of Health have proposed a local law to ban smoking on any county-owned or leased
property,inside and outside.
Swinehart said that second hand smoke is a major concern and the effects on people are well documented.
She also said that if they are successful in their efforts, hopefully the initiative will spread to towns and villages in the form of similar local laws.
Public Health Committee chairman Keith Kubasik said that the county would offer quit smoking therapy and smoking-cessation programs. He also advised board members to send questions about the proposed smoking ban to Swinehart in the next month, saying the issue will be discussed further and potentially acted upon at the Aug. 9 meeting.

FingerLakes1.com
#1285594 --- 07/14/11 02:04 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: ???]
Oldgzr Offline

Loc: NY
Ok, I will do it. I don't smoke anyway.

#1285595 --- 07/14/11 02:10 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: ???]
ibepokenmore Offline

Loc: waterloo
ex smoker here. i miss it sometimes. never smoked in my home because of my children. question. where are smokers allowed to smoke? why don't they just outlaw it . seems it is illegal to smoke anywhere. i feel bad for smokers, seems they are the blame for all the health issues in the world. why not smack higher taxes on booze and make it illegal to drink anywhere but home , with exceptions of course. how many deaths, vehicle accidents and domestic violences are attributed to smoking , now how many to alcohol?

#1285596 --- 07/14/11 02:11 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: Oldgzr]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Doesn't bother me. (Actually, the smoke does and the fact they feel they need a law for this does, but it is not the worst law they proposed lately.)

#1285597 --- 07/14/11 02:13 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: ibepokenmore]
MOTORMOUTH Offline

Loc: HERE & THERE
The county can take the law and shove it where the sun dont shine ! Enough is enough! Time to stand up to the board members with all there ridiculous ideas they have. If brute force is needed , then so be it.

#1285598 --- 07/14/11 02:14 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: Greymane]
Oldgzr Offline

Highest adult smoking rate in the state? It must be those cheap Indian smokes. \:\/

#1285599 --- 07/14/11 02:20 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: Oldgzr]
MOTORMOUTH Offline

Im tired of smelling the diesel fumes from the trucks that travel in front of my house, lets pass a law. Im tired of smell pig s**t that is being spread on the farmers field down the road, lets pass a law. Im tired of smelling the dump thats 8 miles away from me, lets pass a law.Im tired of smelling freshly cut grass every saturday morning, lets pass a law.Im tired of smelling Evans and the crap plant everyday going to work, lets pass a law. Im tired of smelling the dead fish smell from the canal after it rains, lets pass a law..

#1285603 --- 07/14/11 02:30 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: MOTORMOUTH]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Quote:
Im tired of smelling the dead fish smell from the canal after it rains, lets pass a law..

Will the law mandate that fish live forever?

#1285604 --- 07/14/11 02:30 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: ibepokenmore]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
why don't they just outlaw it

They wouldn't be able to tax it.

#1285605 --- 07/14/11 02:36 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: VM Smith]
Oldgzr Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Quote:
Im tired of smelling the dead fish smell from the canal after it rains, lets pass a law..

Will the law mandate that fish live forever?

They will probably allow them to die. They just can't smell. \:D

#1285608 --- 07/14/11 02:59 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: Oldgzr]
MOTORMOUTH Offline

Either kill all the fish or tax them for being in the canal. Of course fish cant pay taxes , but the people who have water front property can. So i propose a law to be passed that would state: Anyone who has water front property must pay extra taxes due to the fish dying and causing a stink. Fish die because of the nasty chemicals people spray on there lawns then it gets leeched into the water , right along with the gas/oil that comes from there boats...

#1285616 --- 07/14/11 03:13 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: ???]
ibepokenmore Offline

Loc: waterloo
all it is is a way for the state to tax something knowing full well that people will smoke. people will pay what ever it is to smoke. they are addicted. i smoked for over 35 years and after all the times i have tried i did finally quit. but people need to stop calling them pariah because they smoke. it just makes smokers feel so much worse. and with some the worse they feel the more they smoke. yes keep the laws that are in effect. out of respect to others yes smoking should be limited to private areas as they have it now. but enough is enough . find another vice to pick on.

#1285619 --- 07/14/11 03:18 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: MOTORMOUTH]
big sissy Offline

Loc: Cayuga Lake
Stay away from the lake if you do not like the stink, the taxes are high enough now thank you.

#1285621 --- 07/14/11 03:21 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: MOTORMOUTH]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
So i propose a law to be passed that would state: Anyone who has water front property must pay extra taxes due to the fish dying and causing a stink. Fish die because of the nasty chemicals people spray on there lawns then it gets leeched into the water , right along with the gas/oil that comes from there boats...

I live on the water, but I don't own it, or the fish in it. They belong to NYS. All NYS residents should be taxed, by your theory. Not all people put chemicals on their lawns, and not all chemicals that get leached into the water come from waterfront property. Fish die from many things. Not all waterfront property owners have boats, and not all boat owners live on the waterfront.

#1285624 --- 07/14/11 03:29 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: ibepokenmore]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
This is where the whole Nanny State idea is clearly shown. I want to know why this is just going to be slid across the boards desk and affect the entire county without a vote by the public. I would like to know why one of my alleged reps (Keith K.) feels that he can just make up something without the public being able to voice what they feel. If infact Seneca County does have the population of smokers that was stated in the article why would they not put this to a public vote? If at that time the voting public out the county said yes lets ban it than so be it, HOWEVER they wont allow this.

Its not about smoking any longer, the acticle says that they hope the towns will follow suit and make even harsher laws... Someone has a vandetta and they no longer are a public servent.

I urge everyone to help set a tone on this issue, we have the right to vote on this.

#1285656 --- 07/14/11 05:45 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: DR. D]
BigRed Offline

Loc: ny
Originally Posted By: DR. D
This is where the whole Nanny State idea is clearly shown. I want to know why this is just going to be slid across the boards desk and affect the entire county...

I think a lot of people are misreading the article because of a misleading headline.

The county isn't trying to ban smoking everywhere in the county. They're only looking at banning it on county-owned property.

The only people this really effects are county employees and anyone using a county facility.

#1285659 --- 07/14/11 06:16 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: BigRed]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Quote:
The only people this really effects are county employees and anyone using a county facility.

That's right; it'll affect any county citizens who smoke, including the county workers who smoke. It'll also affect every county taxpayers who will be forced to pay for smoking cessation programs. This will include those taxpayers who don't want to quit.

I don't mind banning smoking inside county buildings, or near doors and windows, but this is ridiculous and oppressive. BTW, I don't smoke, but I don't believe government has any right to tell me whether I should or shouldn't. It's none of their business whether I make the decision to smoke in private, or in public, outdoors, on property that I help pay for.

#1285678 --- 07/14/11 07:43 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: VM Smith]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
More laws to control. Fascism is alive and well in Seneca County. Used to be we only picked on minorities. Now they pick on everyone.

#1285684 --- 07/14/11 07:53 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: Here's Johnny]
lumberpants Offline

Loc: New York
Hey MOTORMOUTH! shut your mouth cause it smells like a dirty ashtray a cat took a dump in! We dont wanna smell it!

#1285694 --- 07/14/11 08:15 PM Re: Seneca County urges total smoking ban [Re: VM Smith]
Joe the Troller Offline

Loc: FL1 Clown Training Camp
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
Quote:

That's right; it'll affect any county citizens who smoke, including the county workers who smoke. It'll also affect every county taxpayers who will be forced to pay for smoking cessation programs. This will include those taxpayers who don't want to quit.

I don't mind banning smoking inside county buildings, or near doors and windows, but this is ridiculous and oppressive. BTW, I don't smoke, but I don't believe government has any right to tell me whether I should or shouldn't. It's none of their business whether I make the decision to smoke in private, or in public, outdoors, on property that I help pay for.

By paying your taxes you are condoning all of these rights of your property.

Why be a hypocrit and pay taxes then say government shouldn't infringe on your rights?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >