FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1282952 --- 06/29/11 07:08 AM Black Walnut Tree
mimi33 Offline

Loc: seneca falls, ny, usa
I was wondering if anyone else has this problem....we have a huge black walnut tree in our backyard. When we bought the house several years ago, I put in a vegetable garden not realizing that this tree would kill my tomatoes, peppers, etc. We had success with the squash plants, but the other plants reached a level of maturity and then died off. Since the plant killing chemical is found in the roots of the tree, cutting it down wouldn't really help, would it? I was thinking of raised beds next year, has anyone else had this issue and tried raised beds with any success?

FingerLakes1.com
#1282975 --- 06/29/11 10:29 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
There is a giant black walnut in my neighbor's yard. All of my peppers, peas, herbs, and lettuce do well, but I had to plant a separate bed on the other side of my house for tomatoes. I also did a container garden one year and that worked, but it requires a LOT of watering.

#1282981 --- 06/29/11 11:05 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools

#1282995 --- 06/29/11 12:05 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: VM Smith]
mimi33 Offline

Thank you both! I think I'm going to try to till in some organic material a couple of feet deep, and next year do raised beds, maybe eighteen inches to two feet deep, and see how that goes. The garden area is not under the tree canopy, but it's a large tree and I'm sure the root system is vast. Unfortunately, there really isn't much front yard (I'm in the village and we seem to have tiny front yards on this street) so I don't have alot of other options. I suppose it's not too late to buy a couple of tomato plants and keep them in containers, I hate not having warm-from-the-sun tomato sandwiches! Thanks again!

#1283057 --- 06/29/11 05:55 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
My neighbor has a walnut tree....it hangs over on my patio....did I mention how much I hate walnut trees? The mess and the stains are enough to make me crazy!

#1283070 --- 06/29/11 07:32 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Yetta Nother]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
They are a friggin nightmare

#1283103 --- 06/29/11 09:50 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Della]
mimi33 Offline

They are really a nuisance and they breed like mad...I call them "weed trees" because they always seem to be growing up along the foundation of the house and are so hard to kill. And they grow so FAST! I hate them! I miss having a garden!

#1283120 --- 06/30/11 04:00 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
Ranger Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: GOD's 1/2 acre
KILL IT, CUT IT DOWN, KILL IT!

#1283151 --- 06/30/11 09:56 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Yetta Nother]
kimmer Offline

Loc: here,there and back again
Originally Posted By: Yetta Nother
My neighbor has a walnut tree....it hangs over on my patio....did I mention how much I hate walnut trees? The mess and the stains are enough to make me crazy!

We lived in a house with 2 of them in the yard. Sometimes walking under them you get sprinkled on by the sap. There were days you could run your hand over the hood of the car and not feel metal with all that damn sap. And I won't forget one of the neighbors cars getting hit by walnuts when the wind picked up. That car alarm had to be turned off! Then there's the squirrels - OMG.

#1283186 --- 06/30/11 05:58 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Ranger]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Ranger
KILL IT, CUT IT DOWN, KILL IT!

They're nice trees, as long as they're in my gully. I wouldn't have one in the yard. I do have a big butternut in the yard, though, and my garlic and the black raspberries I planted do just fine very close to it.

#1283189 --- 06/30/11 06:16 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: VM Smith]
Della Offline
Gold Member

They are not nice they are evil.

#1283218 --- 06/30/11 08:15 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Della]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

They may be. When I had goats I put part of the electric fence down to and over the creek so the they could drink, and before I knew it, they'd girdled a huge one with their horns and killed it.

#1283259 --- 07/01/11 12:01 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: VM Smith]
mimi33 Offline

I just want a tomato sandwich from my own garden. I would also love some chickens for eggs, and a goat for milk (cheese) but I made a mistake and bought a house in the village...but things can change, and someday I'll have that little self sustaining farm I dream of...someday!

#1283260 --- 07/01/11 12:02 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
mimi33 Offline

OMG Benny and the Jets is on the radio!!!!!! Sorry just an outburst. Sorry

#1283261 --- 07/01/11 12:16 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
Originally Posted By: mimi33
I just want a tomato sandwich from my own garden. I would also love some chickens for eggs, and a goat for milk (cheese) but I made a mistake and bought a house in the village...but things can change, and someday I'll have that little self sustaining farm I dream of...someday!

I want to be there with you.

#1283264 --- 07/01/11 12:33 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: RedGreen]
mimi33 Offline

I'm thinking you have completely and utterly lost your mind. lol

#1283310 --- 07/01/11 08:34 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
BrumWife Offline

Loc: Geneva
Just a note, for nightshades (tomatoes eggplant etc) its not only the roots that kill off the plants. The juglone leeches out of the leaves and branches when it rains so make sure your raised beds are at least 20 feet from the drip line of the tree. We have quite a few walnuts on our property and have 2 separate gardens the tomato and other sensitive veggies are in one garden away from the trees. Also after you remove one it will still be 7-11 years before the juglone level is low enough to support tomatoes.

FWI we've been looking into harvesting some of our black walnuts. If its a good tree for lumber they can be worth a pretty penny. But you have to find a logger willing to take just one or two trees if you live in the village.

#1283321 --- 07/01/11 09:14 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: BrumWife]
pepper Offline

Loc: Desperately Seeking Salt
That sticky crap ends up everywhere. We had to move our potted tomato plant to front porch thanks to our black walnut trees.

#1283678 --- 07/04/11 11:36 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: mimi33
I'm thinking you have completely and utterly lost your mind. lol

How did I miss this?

#1283680 --- 07/04/11 11:44 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Della]
Gio Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Cleveland
After I cut down my black walnut I waited two years and then dug down 18 inches and back filled 36 inches of new topsoil and compost. My tomato plants did just fine after that.

Proud PT Posse Member - Evil Brain Minion since 2008 - Doc's Boy

#1283681 --- 07/04/11 11:48 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Della]
RedGreen Offline

She's joking. I have known Mimi for a very long time and I too would love to have a little self sustaining farm to which I replied to and commented on. I sure can't pull it off where I'm at now lol. \:\)

#1283684 --- 07/04/11 11:52 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Della]
mimi33 Offline

Definitely joking...I love Red, he's a great friend and fortunately he understands when someone is just goofing on him, thank goodness.

#1283687 --- 07/04/11 12:09 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: mimi33]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Relax peeps just found it funny.

#1287462 --- 07/23/11 04:38 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Gio]
della01 Offline

Loc: alaska
Originally Posted By: Gio
After I cut down my black walnut I waited two years and then dug down 18 inches and back filled 36 inches of new topsoil and compost. My tomato plants did just fine after that.

Well never cut a walnut tree.. In my garden i have 4 walnut tree and i never cut any one of them..

#1289198 --- 07/30/11 04:46 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: della01]
Della Offline
Gold Member

But is anything growing except the walnut trees?

#1289245 --- 07/30/11 10:35 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Della]
heymom Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I found a raised bed garden based with plenty of weed paper worked very well after removing the offending tree.

#1289472 --- 07/31/11 09:30 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: RedGreen]
Joe the Troller Offline

Loc: FL1 Clown Training Camp
Originally Posted By: RedGreen
She's joking. I have known Mimi for a very long time and I too would love to have a little self sustaining farm to which I replied to and commented on. I sure can't pull it off where I'm at now lol. \:\)

What? no one to "borrow" money from? No easy marks? Too early for Football Pools and scams?

#1289476 --- 07/31/11 09:46 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Joe the Troller]
RedGreen Offline

Easy does it don't Burn me up too. Seems you know a lot about "easy marks" yourself hmmm?
If you want a pissing match I'll give you one but think about it REAL good do you really want to go there? That's what I thought.
Any money borrowed was paid back and you damn well know it. Bringing crap up after 7 years?.... face it man you got nothing just leave this site everybody hates you your act is old. Be a big idiot and open yourself up for a slander suit, please.

#1289703 --- 08/01/11 08:29 PM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: RedGreen]
Joe the Troller Offline

You can't even buy a used swimming suit from the salvation army.

Remember Cal's Bar? LOL, you really got whipped nightly there.

Ahhhhh - the good old days

#1289757 --- 08/02/11 12:25 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: Joe the Troller]
RedGreen Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe the Troller

Well first of all you really have no idea what I can or can't afford do you? You don't know where I work or what I make. I have a beautiful place in a resort area that isn't cheap.

As to Cals I didn't get "whipped nightly" as you put it. It was just you and your 20 plus alias's and your jerk off forum friend Buddy trying to be funny. Operative word being "trying". Nobody ever laughed at what you posted, they all told you that you were a dink just like now nothing has changed. You're not funny, at all. You guys think you're clever with all the names you make up. Funny how all the attacks against certain people by a host of other user names stopped when Buddy died, where did all those users go? Hmm. You guys suck.

I met a lot of people because of Cals who are still friends today. That must be what BURNS you up. You thought you were the man but everyone laughed AT you not with you.

Wanna discuss the charges the Grand jury brought against you? You keep bringing up a loan that I repaid 7 years ago saying I never paid it back when you know damn well I did, so does everybody else. You're just a cancer on here.
Don't F with me I know everything now. You leave me alone I'll leave you alone.

#1289807 --- 08/02/11 09:21 AM Re: Black Walnut Tree [Re: RedGreen]
Joe the Troller Offline

Originally Posted By: RedGreen
Originally Posted By: Joe the Troller

Well first of all you really have no idea what I can or can't afford do you? You don't know where I work or what I make. I have a beautiful place in a resort area that isn't cheap.

As to Cals I didn't get "whipped nightly" as you put it. It was just you and your 20 plus alias's and your jerk off forum friend Buddy trying to be funny. Operative word being "trying". Nobody ever laughed at what you posted, they all told you that you were a dink just like now nothing has changed. You're not funny, at all. You guys think you're clever with all the names you make up. Funny how all the attacks against certain people by a host of other user names stopped when Buddy died, where did all those users go? Hmm. You guys suck.

I met a lot of people because of Cals who are still friends today. That must be what BURNS you up. You thought you were the man but everyone laughed AT you not with you.

Wanna discuss the charges the Grand jury brought against you? You keep bringing up a loan that I repaid 7 years ago saying I never paid it back when you know damn well I did, so does everybody else. You're just a cancer on here.
Don't F with me I know everything now. You leave me alone I'll leave you alone.

Shame on you bringing Buddy (RIP) into this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >