FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1247258 --- 01/16/11 03:51 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: melinda]
S.P. King 2nd Offline

Loc: PARTYING!
Originally Posted By: melinda
I agree the NYS law regarding closing bars at 8:00 pm is absurd.

It is actually a County law not a State law......and out of the handful of Counties that require bars to close on Christmas Eve, Yates County has the earliest closing time in ENTIRE State!

FingerLakes1.com
#1247259 --- 01/16/11 03:55 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: melinda]
S.P. King 2nd Offline

There are plenty of people who have no family, and no place to go on Xmas eve. They want to go to a bar for company (so not to be alone and depressed).

That's a stretch, to assume anyone and everyone at the bar on Christmas Eve has no family and no where to go, and wants to be in the bar to find the comfort of other sorry saps... Have you ever thought that maybe some people enjoy being with friends and/or family in a bar setting?

#1247262 --- 01/16/11 04:08 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: S.P. King 2nd]
1M&M Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: S.P. King 2nd
I agree the NYS law regarding closing bars at 8:00 pm is absurd.

It is actually a County law not a State law......and out of the handful of Counties that require bars to close on Christmas Eve, Yates County has the earliest closing time in ENTIRE State!

So what. It is a local law and it was passed by the people of the village. IF bar owners break the law they should pay the price. Not expect the Mayor to give the Police Chief a hard time to ignore it because it's his bar stool is located there.

#1247264 --- 01/16/11 04:16 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: 1M&M]
S.P. King 2nd Offline

Who in this village voted to pass this law? This was a law passed at least 40 years ago! This is an absurd law that should be repealed!

...and follow along the owner did pay price in the form of a letter from the ABC advising him to observe the closing times, and follow the law. So why are you still arguing it? The governing body on the matter ruled on it and that was the result, a letter. What more of a punishment do you see fit?

#1247269 --- 01/16/11 05:03 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: S.P. King 2nd]
melinda Offline

Loc: california
I really think you like to be an idiot. I did not say that everyone in a bar on Xmas eve is lonely and miserable. Most families do not want to be in a bar on Xmas eve, they can be at home and have food and drink.

#1247274 --- 01/16/11 05:30 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: S.P. King 2nd]
beeba24 Offline

Loc: NY
Beeba24, The outcome was that the ABC sent the owner of Lloyds a [i]"Letter of Advice notifying him that he must observe specific closing hours or risk disciplinary action by the authority."
I agree he was told Gene was right the soon to be convicted felon Mayor was wrong and that closing at 830 for all on Xmas eve is the outcome of this complaint.

#1247315 --- 01/16/11 08:28 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: beeba24]
McLovin' Offline

Loc: In the land of freedom
Yates County has it that the bars close early on Christmas Eve (no sales after 8). They then have it that they can stay open late on New Year's Eve (until 3 o'clock). Makes sense to me. It's been that way since the 70's (or earlier).

#1247465 --- 01/17/11 01:23 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: S.P. King 2nd]
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
The bottom line is the law has been in effect since the early seventies when I tended bar there (the R&M). Yes Bob did know as I had a discussion and double checked with the SLA after he stayed open the previous year. if we ignored sending a letter to the SLA for that violation it would be like letting Bob have special privleges opposed to other bars that have followed the law for years. I always liked Bob and enjoyed going there.

#1247477 --- 01/17/11 02:14 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: Mean Gene]
S.P. King 2nd Offline

Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
if we ignored sending a letter to the SLA for that violation it would be like letting Bob have special privleges opposed to other bars that have followed the law for years. I always liked Bob and enjoyed going there.

Mean Gene, what is the purpose of the law? Who is being hurt if adults choose to gather with friends and/or family or even sit in the corner and drink by themselves past 8pm on Christmas Eve? I'm just trying to understand this law, considering out of a handful of Counties that have this law, Yates County has the earliest time a bar must stop serving on Christmas Eve...???

#1247488 --- 01/17/11 03:02 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: S.P. King 2nd]
Mean Gene Offline

I don't know the purpose of it. It is a Yates county (local rule) law. I am assuming it was enacted in hopes that people would be home with their families on xmas eve. Christmas is a time of year of heightened domestic issues involving families. perhaps it was intended to try and lower the domestic complaints of "where's dad?" on xmas eve.

#1247615 --- 01/17/11 08:14 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: Mean Gene]
S.P. King 2nd Offline

I don't know the purpose of it. It is a Yates county (local rule) law. I am assuming it was enacted in hopes that people would be home with their families on xmas eve. Christmas is a time of year of heightened domestic issues involving families. perhaps it was intended to try and lower the domestic complaints of "where's dad?" on xmas eve.

At first I though this was a stupid local law put into place over 40 years ago, and didn't see what the purpose was. It's looking more and more like it was intended to force the values and religion of the law makers (of that time) onto all of the people residing in Yates County.

#1247628 --- 01/17/11 08:57 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: S.P. King 2nd]
McLovin' Offline

Loc: In the land of freedom
The normal legal closing time in Yates is 1 AM. The deal was made to close at 8 PM on Christmas Eve and have the bars stay open until 3 AM on New Year's Eve. I don't know if it was done on Religious principle or not, but it seems to me the bars would do more business on New Year's Eve than Christmas Eve.

#1247632 --- 01/17/11 09:36 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: McLovin']
S.P. King 2nd Offline

Yea but what "deal"? If that was the case it was obviously a settlement between local law makers o the issue, it's not like bars must be closed for a certain amount hours per year, and by closing christmas eve we get to stay open later on news years eve because we saved hours.

#1247646 --- 01/17/11 10:52 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: S.P. King 2nd]
Joe Friday Offline

Loc: joefriday100.blogspot.com
I believe the serving of alcohol is the issue. A restaurant can serve food until closing time Christmas Eve or any other time. Last call was at 8pm and Rago came in shortly thereafter, before 8:30pm, and told Champlin to close down and the rest is well documented history. There were people eating dinner in the booths, as I am told, when the officer came in, and although last call drinks were being consumed, no alcohol was served after 8pm according to witnesses.

The history of the R&M and Lloyds up to the time Champlin purchased it nearly 12 years ago, was primarily a "bar business", not a full menu bar/restaurant as it is under Champlin's proprietorship. Had this been a restaurant, lets say like the Essenhaus that doesn't sell alcohol, would this had been such a huge issue? Does this ordinance only apply to the bar trade to shut down because of alcohol, leaving non-alcohol based businesses to freely operate after 8:30pm on Christmas eve? Can grocery stores still sell beer after 8:30pm as well? After all, that implies profits from the sale of alcohol and the subsequent consumption of it. Yes a bit of a stretch, but still a good point of argument.

As stated, it's a local ordinance not a state law and could be subject to challenge and changed if so enacted upon. Perhaps if the PD wasn't so quick to make a point, after considerable research, and entered at, let's say, 8:31pm, perhaps there would have been firmer ground to stand on and just perhaps a few less calls might have been made that night. Just a thought...Gene is now enjoying his retirement and ALL the bars are closed on Christmas Eve for the past few years, so the drama is over and the case is closed...right?

#1247743 --- 01/18/11 10:11 AM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: Joe Friday]
Mean Gene Offline

Yes the "drama" is over Joe, you have re-stated one of the many different stories Bob came up with. Rago saw him serving drinks after 8PM. If he wasn't so young and eager to do his job he would have waited another hour, then spoke to Bob about what he was doing. Bob's intial comment to Rago when he finally stepped outside to talk to Mike was "I thought it was 9PM, not 8". Yes Bob could have stayed open all night to serve food w/o booze being served. Your argument about retail sales is the spin the Brockman put on his 5 page fairy tail that Marchionda read at a board meeting w/0 letting anyone ask questions or comment.
Marchionda then ran out of the board meeting and approached one of my Sergeants and told him that "Mitchell is F____ed". Myself and Bob knew I was right all along. The problem with Dougie is he would never admit he was wrong on anything. BTW he did apologize to me well after the fact when there was no one else in the room to hear the apology.

#1247760 --- 01/18/11 11:06 AM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: S.P. King 2nd]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY

At first I though this was a stupid local law put into place over 40 years ago, and didn't see what the purpose was. It's looking more and more like it was intended to force the values and religion of the law makers (of that time) onto all of the people residing in Yates County.

No it is to keep drunken heathen like SK off the streets so Santa Clause can visit. Yeah, I said it.

#1247973 --- 01/18/11 07:39 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: Samuel]
Daisy Duke Offline

Loc: Hazzard County
Originally Posted By: Samuel

No it is to keep drunken heathen like SK off the streets so Santa Clause can visit. Yeah, I said it.

SK just likes Lloyd's 'cause it's near the homestead under the bridge.

#1248805 --- 01/22/11 12:53 PM Re: In the village of PennYan! [Re: Samuel]
S.P. King 2nd Offline

Originally Posted By: Samuel
No it is to keep drunken heathen like SK off the streets so Santa Clause can visit.

Not true! I can/could drink at mine or my buddies place then go out looking for Santa.

In fact I think more people drink at home or go to "house parties" than frequent bars in town these days. Bars seem to be the LAST industry left in town, maybe the local government should support them a little more instead of giving them problems.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3