FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1240554 --- 12/17/10 01:22 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Ranger]
citydog Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Ah yes... if we would simply reduce all taxes people would be more charitable and freely give their money to the less fortunate. Well, it may not be exactly what he had in mind, but James Madison summed it up pretty well in Federalist 51, noting
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary."

FingerLakes1.com
#1240584 --- 12/17/10 06:43 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: citydog]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Madison was apparently ignoring the small detail that government is run not by angels, but by men.

#1240650 --- 12/18/10 02:18 AM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Zorn]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: Zorn
http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2010/12/13/republican-senators-screw-up-on-911-aid-bill/

They vote for tax cuts for the rich, then block assistance to 9/11 first responders and their families. I guess Republicans really do feel that each of us should just worry about ourselves and not help each other...

Did anyone see Stewart last night? He had six NYC fire fighters and police officers on who responded to 911, and are now suffering diseases most likely for working at ground zero. Right afterwards he had Mike Hucklebee on... and the topic of conversation did not switch. Hucklebee did an awful lot of squirming.

#1240730 --- 12/18/10 04:08 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Josephus]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Josephus
http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2010/12/13/republican-senators-screw-up-on-911-aid-bill/

They vote for tax cuts for the rich, then block assistance to 9/11 first responders and their families. I guess Republicans really do feel that each of us should just worry about ourselves and not help each other...

Did anyone see Stewart last night? He had six NYC fire fighters and police officers on who responded to 911, and are now suffering diseases most likely for working at ground zero. Right afterwards he had Mike Hucklebee on... and the topic of conversation did not switch. Hucklebee did an awful lot of squirming.

Nope

#1240743 --- 12/18/10 05:05 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: cwjga]
Jeff Peters Offline

Loc: Geneva
Saw it and Hukabee squirming when asked why Republicans were opposed and why his "fair and balanced" employer was not speaking up. And this begs the question of where is the Tea Party on this.

#1240786 --- 12/18/10 10:25 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Jeff Peters]
ProAct Offline

Loc: New York State, Seneca County
The Tea Party is NO where on anything. And expect lots more of No We Cannot from them. They seem to have a negative attitude towards any issue.

#1240791 --- 12/18/10 11:07 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Jeff Peters]
Harleybobb Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
Originally Posted By: Jeff Peters
Saw it and Hukabee squirming when asked why Republicans were opposed and why his "fair and balanced" employer was not speaking up. And this begs the question of where is the Tea Party on this.
Quote:
And this begs the question of where is the Tea Party on this.

Ahahahahahahah... why?

#1240838 --- 12/19/10 03:17 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Zorn]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

It would seem this bill is named for political purposes. Shocked. It actually may have more to do with people that came in to clean up than with 1st responders. It also fails to deal with the money already spent on dealing with the issue of medical care for said people.

#1240850 --- 12/19/10 04:53 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: cwjga]
Chosenspot Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, New York
Originally Posted By: cwjga

It would seem this bill is named for political purposes. Shocked. It actually may have more to do with people that came in to clean up than with 1st responders. It also fails to deal with the money already spent on dealing with the issue of medical care for said people.

I have not seen one issue on FL1 where you have taken any stance except the far right.
Do you disagree with anything about the Republican doctrine or is it blind obedience? One way groups retain their members is by stripping of the ability to make decisions for themselves.

#1240878 --- 12/19/10 07:09 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Chosenspot]
tomwaits Offline

Loc: BetweenMud&FlintCreek
The tax cuts will pull us out of the recession and reduce the deficit because they’ll generate wealth, which generates
spending just as they have for the past eight years . Why don't you people not understand ?? \:D

#1240894 --- 12/19/10 09:24 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: cwjga]
Animal Lover Offline

Yes because millions of dollars to help first responders on that unforgettable day may not be spent properly. Accountability for every penny given to THOSE heros is a must. OTOH, BILLIONS OF DOLLARS can turn up missing in Iraq and we (mostly republicans) just keep on throwing money at that mess.

You really should watch John Stewart. Not only will you get some laughs you might actually learn something. \:\) Borrowed that one from Bill O'Reilly.

#1240896 --- 12/19/10 10:14 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: tomwaits]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: tomwaits
The tax cuts will pull us out of the recession and reduce the deficit because they’ll generate wealth, which generates
spending just as they have for the past eight years . Why don't you people not understand ?? \:D

Would agree if there were actually going to be tax cuts. But because the bill leaves the tax rates the same, that most likly will not be the case.

#1240897 --- 12/19/10 10:18 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Animal Lover]
cwjga Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: Animal Lover

Yes because millions of dollars to help first responders on that unforgettable day may not be spent properly. Accountability for every penny given to THOSE heros is a must. OTOH, BILLIONS OF DOLLARS can turn up missing in Iraq and we (mostly republicans) just keep on throwing money at that mess.

You really should watch John Stewart. Not only will you get some laughs you might actually learn something. \:\) Borrowed that one from Bill O'Reilly.

So if the Govt throws away money on one thing it should throw away money on other things? I heard to today that one of the problems with the bill is that it may put in jeopardy the money some have already gotten. Seems wide to make sure people are not worse off after this bill.

LAst question I have is if this bill is so important to pass, without making sure it does what it is supposed to, why was it a last minute thought during a lame duck session?

#1240899 --- 12/19/10 10:36 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: cwjga]
Animal Lover Offline

So if the Govt throws away money on one thing it should throw away money on other things? I heard to today that one of the problems with the bill is that it may put in jeopardy the money some have already gotten. Seems wide to make sure people are not worse off after this bill.

What's a few hundred million when we can't account for 12 billion? Many republicans who vote yes to legislation to put more money into Iraq acknowledging that things were questionable but it was a worthy investment. But didn't even want to bring this bill to the floor.

Quote:
LAst question I have is if this bill is so important to pass, without making sure it does what it is supposed to, why was it a last minute thought during a lame duck session?

It's not like this bill is something some Democrat pulled out of Obama's butt last week. It's been around and was voted down back in August. At that time 12 Republican sponsors voted no to their own bill all for political posturing. They can use 9/11 when it is to their advantage (political campaigning) but don't want to help people pay for health care who are suffering for being heroes.

#1240902 --- 12/19/10 10:47 PM Re: Republicans block 9/11 1st Responder Bill [Re: Animal Lover]
Harleybobb Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter

What's a few hundred million when we can't account for 12 billion? Many republicans who vote yes to legislation to put more money into Iraq acknowledging that things were questionable but it was a worthy investment. But didn't even want to bring this bill to the floor.

Quote:

It's not like this bill is something some Democrat pulled out of Obama's butt last week. It's been around and was voted down back in August. At that time 12 Republican sponsors voted no to their own bill all for political posturing. They can use 9/11 when it is to their advantage (political campaigning) but don't want to help people pay for health care who are suffering for being heroes.

Ahahahahaha...how come you don't whine when it comes to the veterans issues?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2