FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1234343 --- 11/17/10 06:20 PM 6 months for baby’s death
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Elmira mom, gets 6 months for baby’s death

An Elmira woman was sentenced Friday to six months in jail for causing the death of her infant son, but will actually be behind bars for less time.

Samantha L. Skinkle, 22, was taken into custody after she was sentenced Friday morning in Chemung County Court. She had been free on bail awaiting sentencing.

Skinkle was given credit for time served after her arrest last year, meaning she will serve less than her six-month sentence in jail.

Skinkle pleaded guilty last month to criminally negligent homicide in connection with the death of 2-month-old Kayden Skinkle in June 2009.

Chief Assistant District Attorney John Thweatt has said the decision to offer Skinkle a plea agreement with a relatively lenient sentence was based on two factors: The medical examiner’s inability to pinpoint a manner of death and Skinkle being borderline mentally retarded.

By John Zick
Corning Leader
Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 12:06 AM

FingerLakes1.com
#1247601 --- 01/18/11 01:46 AM Re: 6 months for baby’s death [Re: newsman38]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
I'm related to the Skinkles.....I hope she isn't one of them. Ugh.....how sad. \:\(

#1247604 --- 01/18/11 01:51 AM Re: 6 months for baby’s death [Re: Yetta Nother]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
It is sad. I have a gut feeling she's guilty, but I can't figure out why she pleaded guilty to a "theory", which I read as meaning "guess", when they couldn't prove a cause of death. Was her attorney also borderline mentally retarded?