FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1222522 --- 10/01/10 01:21 AM Pressure Cooking?
oops12 Offline

Loc: Absent
Is anyone into this? Got any good tips/receipes?

FingerLakes1.com
#1222523 --- 10/01/10 01:21 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: oops12]
oops12 Offline

It seems to me like a whole new art of cooking!

#1222524 --- 10/01/10 01:26 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: oops12]
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
It's actually a very old school way of cooking. A gentleman by the name of Harland Sanders took just over $100, some chicken and 11 herbs and spices and made a fortune. Kentucky Fried Chicken was in fact not fried but was and still is cooked in pressure cookers.

#1222534 --- 10/01/10 02:17 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: RedGreen]
oops12 Offline

No kidding... Learn something new everyday!

#1222560 --- 10/01/10 09:29 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: RedGreen]
s2hphoto.com Offline

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: RedGreen
It's actually a very old school way of cooking. A gentleman by the name of Harland Sanders took just over $100, some chicken and 11 herbs and spices and made a fortune. Kentucky Fried Chicken was in fact not fried but was and still is cooked in pressure cookers.

Yup and when he died in his will he didn't leave his kids a dime and said they needed to make their OWN $$

#1222611 --- 10/01/10 02:14 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: s2hphoto.com]
big sissy Offline

Loc: Cayuga Lake
Be sure you have a good pressure canner first of all. I can be old but it must have a good gasket and pressure gauge,Nugent hardware probably still has them. It is a great way to cook tough cuts of meat or any long cooking food, the flavor is not lost by evaporation so all of the flavor is retained. Lots of good web sites, try it out, it's fun.

#1222617 --- 10/01/10 02:22 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: big sissy]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
The temp is higher in a pressure cooker, so food cooks faster, saving time and energy.

#1222621 --- 10/01/10 02:27 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: oops12]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: oops12
Is anyone into this? Got any good tips/receipes?

Recipes:

http://missvickie.com/

#1222666 --- 10/01/10 04:30 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: big sissy]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
QVC and HSN both demonstrate modern pressure cookers with all kinds of safety features that the old pressure cookers didn't have. You can not release the lid until all the pressure has been released. The old ones were known for exploding hot food all over the ceiling/kitchen unless used carefully.

#1222775 --- 10/01/10 11:33 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: SilverFox]
oops12 Offline

Thank you. I will be very careful.

My father bought me a stovetop one about 5 years ago and I only used it once. Mostly because I really didn't understand how it worked and I thought I was going to burn myself. Lack of know how turned me away from it.

The one I just bought was from QVC, I just watched the demo online and thought I'd give it a shot. This one is electric (and came with directions).

I tried it last night and it's pretty easy to use. Though I still have to work on it. I overcooked it a lil' I love the idea of one pot to clean and not having to stand right there and watch it. I love my crockpot and this can also be used as a crockpot.

Going to check out the receipes too, thanks VM! Amazon has the cookbook that was advertized on QVC for $13 so I ordered it yesterday. I'm hoping for some new ideas and easy receipes.

The season's changing and I get different cravings. Does that happen to you? I don't use the oven in the house during the summer (maybe once a month) so now I think of all the foods I can make and I'm getting sick of the grill.

#1222850 --- 10/02/10 04:04 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: oops12]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Mine's an old one, but just make sure that the handles line up, so it's locked, and pull the weight off, to vent steam, before opening, and you'll be fine.

Edited by VM Smith (10/02/10 06:01 AM)

#1222853 --- 10/02/10 05:25 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: VM Smith]
Red22 Offline

Loc: ny
My mother used to make corned beef in the pressure cooker, it was so good.

#1222854 --- 10/02/10 06:00 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: Red22]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Best way to do cb.

#1222935 --- 10/02/10 04:42 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: Red22]
GLAMorous Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Yes my mother also cooked her corned beef or ham & vegetables and also chicken fricazee in the pressure cooker. They are an old school way of cooking as my mom would have been 85 this year, God rest her soul. The only thing, ensure the lid is locked tight. My mom would always stay right in the kitchen and keep a watch on it. She had always told me a story of when the lid wasn't locked tight enough and the food exploded practically up to the ceiling

Originally Posted By: Red22
My mother used to make corned beef in the pressure cooker, it was so good.

#1222952 --- 10/02/10 07:39 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: GLAMorous]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I'd characterize roasting, boiling, broiling, and frying as old school methods. After all, cave dwellers used roasting and broiling, and mabe frying and boiling, too. Pressure cooking is relatively modern, even at its invention. Modern cookers are even...well, more modern:

"History of pressure cooking

In 1679, the French mathematician and physicist Denis Papin invented the first pressure cooker or steam digester as he called it. The story is whilst he was presenting his new steam digester to the Royal Society it exploded, leading him to invent the safety valve. Three years later he represented it to the Royal society and gained positive reviews.

The pressure cooker title was first seen in print in 1915. In 1927, the first pressure cookers were sold in Germany and in 1939 the world’s first commercial pressure cooker made by National Presto Industries was exhibited at the New York World’s Fair.

In these early days, there are accounts of people thinking pressure cookers were the results of witchcraft because of their continued hissing.

Pressure cookers through time

Cast iron pressure cooker, c1860

Although small domestic pressure cookers were not developed until the 19th century, a large version was invented by Denis Papin in 1679.

Cast iron pressure cooker, c1860

Pentecon pressure cooker 1927

by Joseph Sankey and Sons of Bilston 1927

Pentecon pressure cooker 1927

L'auto Thermus Pressure Cooker, c1930

Pressure cookers have to be very strong to cope with high pressure up to 3 bar

L'auto Thermus Pressure Cooker, c1930

Welbank Boilerette, c1935

Boilerettes were widly used until the 1950s. It is a pressurised water jacket, which keeps the temperature inside the container a few degrees above 100°C (212°F) Cooking is only slightly quicker than in an ordinary saucepan, but it prevents food sticking or burning.

Welbank Boilerette, c1935

Fogacci New Boilerette, 1983

Fogacci New Boilerette, 1983

America, just on the verge of entering World War II, was busy converting all civilian manufacturing facilities to war production. While this temporarily ended the manufacture of pressure cookers for consumer use, production of commercial pressure canners continued during this period in order to meet the growing need to feed Gls overseas.

By the late 1940s, with peace in Europe and the Pacific, the consumer pressure-cooker market took off. Almost overnight there were eleven different manufacturers offering eighty-five different pressure saucepans (as they were called). Prices dropped and quality suffered as unscrupulous manufacturers entered the market to capitalize on the growing demand. While consumers were well aware of the benefits of using a pressure cooker for preparing meals-cooking in just one-third of the time, preserving vitamin and mineral content of food, and saving both food flavor and color- they also grew more skeptical with the increasing number of horror stories about exploding and rupturing units. Little by little, companies began to drop out of the category, until finally only those truly dedicated to the development of safe, foolproof units remained.

While pressure cookers revolutionized how the average homemaker was able to cook in the years following World War II, other advances in food preparation would soon begin to overshadow their convenience. With the advent of products like frozen entrees and prepared foods in the postwar years, America's eating habits began to change dramatically. Consumers were seeking an even higher level of convenience than that afforded by the pressure cooker, and it began to fall out of favor. It would not be until the late 1960s and early 1970s, which saw an increased awareness of healthy eating, that pressure cookers would begin to once again gain in popularity."

Edited by VM Smith (10/02/10 07:40 PM)

#1223120 --- 10/03/10 06:05 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: VM Smith]
oops12 Offline

It's pretty cool that you can steam the crap out of something and it does stick or burn. I made a roast last night and it just fell apart. Nice and easy. Just added some potatoes, onions and covered with 1.5 pack of dry onion soup mix and 1.5 cups of water. Cooked for 50 mins and it just fell apart.

I really was worried if I bought it it'd be one more gadget that I have taking up space. But I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

I really like the delay function. I think I'll get alot of use out of it in the spring. The kids eat quite a bit of McDonalds during baseball season. I hate coming home to cook at 9pm.

Tonight I'm going to try chicken cacciatore. I can't wait to try corned beef in there. The only thing I'll have to figure out is when to add the potatoes the cabbbage ect. I think I got it. I seems like more of a pain to have it cool so I can open it and get it going again (twice). I cook the potatoes in cabbage right in with the seasoned water from the corned beef. And I only good the cabbage for a few mins.

#1223504 --- 10/05/10 04:17 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: oops12]
Spanky Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls NY Seneca
Remember when the pot exploded. My foster mother swore she had it locked and sealed, tried to claim it blew out the pressure gauge. Oh, yea, chicken on the ceiling- walls and floor. And we had hamburger that night.

#1223636 --- 10/05/10 03:59 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: Spanky]
oops12 Offline

Dear Lord, that's what I was always afraid of! Hope she didn't get hurt!

#1223683 --- 10/05/10 05:39 PM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: oops12]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

As you've probably figured out, one of the advantages is that you can use cheaper, tougher cuts of meat, and they will come out tender.

You don't have to let it cool completely. Mine has a weight which serves to maintain a certain pressure, while allowing any excess pressure to escape. It has a little flip up handle, which can be grabbed with a fork, so as not to scald my hand, and removed. This lets all pressure be relieved, turning it, in effect, into a normal steamer. The lid can then be removed safely, after the steam has finished jetting rapidly out. Of course, removing cooker from the heat 1st makes all this happen faster.

The food and water remain pretty hot, with the water ready to make more steam quickly, after the veggies are quickly added.

#1223871 --- 10/06/10 10:34 AM Re: Pressure Cooking? [Re: VM Smith]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
I've always run cold water over the top to bring the pressure down quicker and slowly raise pressure thingee on top. I love it to cook butternut squash in about 6 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >