FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1196611 --- 07/03/10 05:30 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Highlander]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
HA! I was thinking I would do the kale with hummus! I'm going to make this recipe. I'm growing thyme in my garden and have everything else.

FingerLakes1.com
#1196618 --- 07/03/10 06:03 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Sub-lingual definitely works better. I was taking regular vitamin B complex and it wasn't doing any good.

#1196619 --- 07/03/10 06:11 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: SilverFox]
Della Offline
Gold Member

My understanding is diabetics don't absorb B's properly. Most people don't know about sub-lingual.

#1196685 --- 07/03/10 10:26 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
SilverFox Offline

I found information on the internet that most diabetics have a B12 deficiency. The sub-lingual is much higher in B12 than the pill form I was taking. OldBroad is the one that put me wise to it. Don't know how she found out about it.

Also, I found info this after noon about the cinamon usage. Claims it softens the cells and makes them more insulin respective for type 2 diabetics. So now that I am taking the B complex maybe the cinamon would work better than it did before.

Still finding conflicting reports on Canola oil. Some say it it good others say it is bad and the cause of our obesity problems. Guess you pay your money and take your choice. For me, as long as there are better oils available, I think I will go with them an play it safe.

#1196852 --- 07/04/10 11:57 AM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Highlander]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Originally Posted By: Highlander
Speaking of hummus, the tahini in store bought hummus is loaded with fat.

Try making it yourself

1 15 ounce can of chick peas or canneloni beans (drained)
1 garlic clove
zest and juice of 1 lemon
salt-pepper
4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, stripped from stems

blend in a food processor
stream in 1/4 cup of olive oil

DONE !!

Adjust everything to taste and add any other flavors you enjoy

It's probably very good with CRISPY KALE !!

Okay, you have a recipe here...but DON'T call it Hummus! It's not. Tahini is required for the dip. Also...the word hummus itself actually refers to the chickpeas. What most of us casually toss off as "Hummus" is actually called "Hummus b'Tahini" So, Highlander, enjoy your white bean/chickpea dip but please don't call it hummus.

Yeah, I'm touchy about stuff like this. \:\/

#1196888 --- 07/04/10 03:02 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Highlander Offline

Okay, Heavenly, I've been schooled !

Chick pea dip IS a healthy, lower in fat, alternative
for hummus and tahini.

#1196894 --- 07/04/10 03:22 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Highlander]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

LOL Healthier maybe...but without the Tahini it just doesn't taste the same!! Tahini is, fortunately for me, one of the healthier fats so I don't mind using it. When I'm really feeling reckless I make an avocado and tahini concoction that's to die for!! YUM!!

#1196899 --- 07/04/10 03:58 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Thanks ladies. I just made my own garlic, olive oil and crushed red pepper hummus/tahini/stuff. Yummy. It goes good with the broccoli.

#1196920 --- 07/04/10 06:33 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: SilverFox]
Tabbytails Offline

Loc: Here Abouts.
Originally Posted By: SilverFox
I have been mildly diabetic for a few years and recently it has gotten worse and I need to take it seriously now. No more ignoring it.

Been doing a little research on Type 2 diabetes. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on Canola Oil. It was supposed to be heart healthy, etc. and it is still highly recommended. However, I have also found a lot of negative information on Canola Oil in regards to obesity and diabetes. Some of it indicates that Canola Oil blocks the body's cells ability to use insulin which causes both type 2 diabetes and obesity. So, from what I have found, a type 2 diabetic should not use margerine because of the transfatty acids and canola oil. They should avoid saturated fats and transfat as much as possible. Use cold pressed olive oil or natural vegetable oils only. Both margerines and Canola Oil are manufactured unnatural, unhealthy products and not recommended.

Sad part, if you read labels, Canola Oil is in almost every processed food. I was surprised to find Canola Oil listed on Oliva margerine that I thought was healthy because it was made with Olive Oil. It is and it also has Canola Oil. It is supposed to be better to use butter in limited amounts than any margerine. In fact it has been suggested to take butter and blend in your own Olive Oil and make your own "spreadable" butter to lower butter's saturated fat and use it instead of margerine. At least that way you know what is in it and it would be a natural product. The more natural foods, i.e. fresh fruits and vegetables, the better for a diabetic.

Also, found information that type 2 diabetics tend to have a vitamin B12 deficiency. B vitamins help with the metabolism of food and the body's energy level.

Boy, my doctor and I will have a lot to discuss on my next appointment later this month. At least I now know what I can do to help myself. The sublingual vitamin B has already helped bring the glucose levels down, the energy level up and the weight drop a little. Best $6 I have spent lately.

Exactly what is sublingual vitamin B?

#1196930 --- 07/04/10 07:31 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Tabbytails]
Della Offline
Gold Member

It's a liquid form you put under your tongue.

#1196931 --- 07/04/10 07:34 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Tabbytails]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Exactly what is sublingual vitamin B?

There are a LOT of B vitamins in Red Bull.

#1196934 --- 07/04/10 07:46 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: twocats]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

If I may...sublingual B12 is usually a tablet or liquid that is placed and held under the tongue and absorbed into the body somewhat slowly.

#1196943 --- 07/04/10 10:34 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Tabbytails]
SilverFox Offline

Product Description
With a burst of B-12. This liquid provides an excellent source of B Complex Vitamins to help safeguard a sufficient daily intake. The B-Complex is essential for the maintenance of healthy nervous tissue. The B Vitamins play a role in energy metabolism in the body. Calibrated dropper inside. B-Complex Sublingual Liquid offers a distinct advantage over conventional nutritional supplements - it comes in an easy-to-use liquid form which is perfect for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets and capsules. As everyone knows, a good diet contributes to disease prevention. The B-Complex is made up of vitamins that work together to perform various functions in the body. Each vitamin works with your body to promote nervous system health and support energy metabolism. Guaranteed Free of: Yeast, wheat, gluten, milk or milk derivatives, lactose, sugar, soy, artificial color. Contains no alcohol.

#1196946 --- 07/04/10 10:58 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: SilverFox]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Red Bull

Vitamins
Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV

Thiamin0.1mg4%
Riboflavin1.4mg85%
Niacin21.2mg106%
Vitamin B62.1mg104%
Folate~ ~
Vitamin B124.4mcg73%
Pantothenic Acid3.5mg35%

#1196962 --- 07/05/10 12:06 AM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: twocats]
SilverFox Offline

Not even close on the B12. B12 is the vitamin that diabetics are usually deficient in. B12 is the vitamin that helps convert food into energy. Efficient conversion of food to energy helps in weight control. Sub-lingual is better absorbed/used by the body than a pill that is digested in the stomach. To each his own.

Red Bull B12 is 4.4 mcg

Spring Valley Sub-lingual B12 is 1200 mcg

#1197033 --- 07/05/10 05:01 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
SilverFox Offline

Originally Posted By: Della
I use olive oil for pretty much everything and real butter instead of margarine. SF try a cinnamon supp also it helps regulate and stabilize blood sugar.

Have you ever tried Land of Lakes Spreadable butter with Olive Oil? Bought some yesterday - yum. Three ingredients on the label - cream, olive oil, salt. It boils down to who are you going to trust - a cow or a scientist - lol.

#1197034 --- 07/05/10 05:09 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: SilverFox]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I haven't funny you should mention it I looked at it yesterday at WalMart. I really don't use it much but sometimes I REALLY would love to have a grilled cheese! I'll go with the cow!

#1197039 --- 07/05/10 06:02 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
SilverFox Offline

I used it sparingly on homemade cinnamon raisen bread toast this morning. My sin for the day but it was so good.

#1197040 --- 07/05/10 06:07 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: SilverFox]
Della Offline
Gold Member

If that's your biggest sin you're way ahead of most of us!

#1197043 --- 07/05/10 06:47 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I live with a scientist and don't feel particularly endangered. Ungulates, on the other hand, have crazy eyes. I find that I like margarine for some things, oil for others, and butter for yet others.

Edited by past tense (07/05/10 06:47 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >