FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1195179 --- 06/28/10 07:01 PM Healthy recipes
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
I am currently trying to reduce my weight by 30 lbs. I would love some healthy recipe ideas. Here is one that I am currently using at times for breakfast............

Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich:

Cooking spray
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 banana, sliced

Directions:
Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Place banana slices onto the peanut buttered side of one slice, top with the other slice and press together firmly. Fry the sandwich until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side. YUM!

FingerLakes1.com
#1195187 --- 06/28/10 07:19 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Yetta Nother]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
Isn't that what killed Elvis? ;\)

#1195191 --- 06/28/10 07:29 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
Omg girl! It's delic.!

#1195200 --- 06/28/10 07:54 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Yetta Nother]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
what would be for lunch and dinner?
stay away from sugar foods
walk around the block when you have free time
eat celery sticks between meals

#1195321 --- 06/29/10 12:22 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Yetta Nother]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
use a smaller plate when you eat at home to reduce your portion
many people eat larger portion sizes without realizing it
it takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to signal it is full

#1195589 --- 06/30/10 05:07 AM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Yetta Nother]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I've been blogging about this a bit recently Yetta, and I'll have another one coming soon. I find that trial and error is the basic formula - read up from a variety of websites, books, magazines, etc. and incorporate what works for you, discarding the rest. As far as my favorite recipes ... here goes:

1. Breakfast

Favorite cereals: Cascadian Farms Hearty Morning (9 grams fiber), classic Shredded Wheat, oatmeal. I add fruit to all of them.

Eggs (sunny side, runny), toast, & tomato slices. Or scrambled eggs w/ avocado slices w/ toast.

2. Lunch

Salad, salad, salad. Wraps w/ hummus & filled with veggies. Open face veggie or turkey burger w/ sliced tomato & one egg, sunny side (only if I didn't have eggs for breakfast of course). English Muffin or pita pizzas, heavy on veggies light on cheese w/ glass of milk. Oven-roasted or grilled veggies w/ whole wheat pasta, olive oil, feta cheese.

3. Dinner

Lately we've been eating a lot of tuna steak on salad. We love homemade chicken fingers w/ oven fries. Breaded, baked fish fillets (tilapia is good and cheap, halibut when we're feeling spendy). Soups & stews w/ salad. Turkey burgers instead of beef. Turkey bolognese instead of beef. Salads, salads, salads.

4. Snacks

Kale chips: Rinse & dry kale leaves. Tear into 1 inch pieces. Pre-heat oven to 350, spray cookie sheet. Spread kale pieces in single layer over sheet, drizzle w/ olive oil & toss to coat. Sprinkle w/ salt & pepper. Bake until crispy, but not brown.

They are like potato chips and they are unbelievable. Good appetizer.

Modified jalepeno popper: Clean fresh jalepenos, scoop out insides of seeds. Fill w/ mixture of salsa & low-fat cream cheese, or just salsa & a sprinkle of shredded mexican cheese. Bake in 300 oven for about 10 minutes. Serve with a little sour cream to cut the heat of the pepper. No frying, no breading = fewer calories.

Rye crackers w/ hummus, five olives, roasted red peppers and/or tomatoes.

5. Dessert

We keep dark chocolate in the freezer and eat a couple of squares at the end of a meal. Fudgcicles work for us too, or frozen fruit bars. The occasional crepe w/ fresh fruit and yogurt.

Speaking of yogurt, trade in whatever you're eating for Cultural Revolution from Kalona Organics. It's higher cal, but lower in sugar and carbs. It's got a heavenly whole-milk cream on the top, and once you get used to the low-sugar taste, you'll never go back. I even converted Josh.

#1195805 --- 06/30/10 09:22 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: past tense]
Highlander Offline

Someone who went to Weight Watchers gave me this SIMPLE recipe years ago.

Toast a slice of bread (any type)
Top it with cottage cheese
Sprinkle with sugar (or Splenda) and cinnamon
Broil for 5 to 10 minutes

It is so good !!

#1195827 --- 06/30/10 11:48 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Highlander]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I've had this it is really good...pumpkin mixed with some Splenda, lowfat cream cheese and nuked is also a very good dessert type thing.

#1195838 --- 07/01/10 12:37 AM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Try the kale - you'll be addicted. We have it 2x a week.

#1195841 --- 07/01/10 12:43 AM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: past tense]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I like kale a lot I will have to try the chips. I just found the BEST Chipotle hummus. It rocks on the rye Triscuits.

#1196053 --- 07/01/10 11:30 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Since going low carb (10 years now) I've used Belgian endive with my hummus and it's terrific...celery, too.

#1196054 --- 07/01/10 11:42 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I like it with celery also or peppers. I pretty much like it with anything!

#1196261 --- 07/02/10 11:28 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Guess who is having kale chips tonight?

She writes a blog for FL1 and she will never hit 5' in height.

#1196264 --- 07/02/10 11:39 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: past tense]
twocats Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
My cat??

#1196501 --- 07/03/10 04:02 AM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: twocats]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
I have been mildly diabetic for a few years and recently it has gotten worse and I need to take it seriously now. No more ignoring it.

Been doing a little research on Type 2 diabetes. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on Canola Oil. It was supposed to be heart healthy, etc. and it is still highly recommended. However, I have also found a lot of negative information on Canola Oil in regards to obesity and diabetes. Some of it indicates that Canola Oil blocks the body's cells ability to use insulin which causes both type 2 diabetes and obesity. So, from what I have found, a type 2 diabetic should not use margerine because of the transfatty acids and canola oil. They should avoid saturated fats and transfat as much as possible. Use cold pressed olive oil or natural vegetable oils only. Both margerines and Canola Oil are manufactured unnatural, unhealthy products and not recommended.

Sad part, if you read labels, Canola Oil is in almost every processed food. I was surprised to find Canola Oil listed on Oliva margerine that I thought was healthy because it was made with Olive Oil. It is and it also has Canola Oil. It is supposed to be better to use butter in limited amounts than any margerine. In fact it has been suggested to take butter and blend in your own Olive Oil and make your own "spreadable" butter to lower butter's saturated fat and use it instead of margerine. At least that way you know what is in it and it would be a natural product. The more natural foods, i.e. fresh fruits and vegetables, the better for a diabetic.

Also, found information that type 2 diabetics tend to have a vitamin B12 deficiency. B vitamins help with the metabolism of food and the body's energy level.

Boy, my doctor and I will have a lot to discuss on my next appointment later this month. At least I now know what I can do to help myself. The sublingual vitamin B has already helped bring the glucose levels down, the energy level up and the weight drop a little. Best $6 I have spent lately.

#1196589 --- 07/03/10 02:21 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: SilverFox]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I use olive oil for pretty much everything and real butter instead of margarine. SF try a cinnamon supp also it helps regulate and stabilize blood sugar.

#1196590 --- 07/03/10 02:22 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: past tense]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: past tense
Guess who is having kale chips tonight?

She writes a blog for FL1 and she will never hit 5' in height.

I'm trying them this weekend...scary but kale was not easy for me to find!

#1196601 --- 07/03/10 04:26 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
SilverFox Offline

Loc: Waterloo
Thanks, Della, I have tried that in the past and it didn't do much for me. I never particularly took the diabetes seriously because it was mild. However, lately, it got worse and nothing was making a difference, no matter how good I was about following the rules. So, it is time to take it seriously. OldBroad is the one that put me wise to the sublingual vitamin B complex. Within two or three days, the sugar levels dropped from the 150-200 range to 80-100 range. Other than being faithful to eating the right foods the only other change was the liquid Vitamin B. Even the doctor adding a second evening dose of the oral medication didn't bring the levels down and I felt like crap. I swear the liquid vitamin B made the difference and I will be talking to the doctor about it. Thank you, OldBroad. LOL

#1196608 --- 07/03/10 04:57 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: SilverFox]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I take it with the B complex and just staying away from the white carbs has made a world of difference.Sub-lingual is definitely the way to go for absorption. Good luck.

#1196610 --- 07/03/10 05:17 PM Re: Healthy recipes [Re: Della]
Highlander Offline

Speaking of hummus, the tahini in store bought hummus is loaded with fat.

Try making it yourself

1 15 ounce can of chick peas or canneloni beans (drained)
1 garlic clove
zest and juice of 1 lemon
salt-pepper
4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, stripped from stems

blend in a food processor
stream in 1/4 cup of olive oil

DONE !!

Adjust everything to taste and add any other flavors you enjoy

It's probably very good with CRISPY KALE !!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >