FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#119475 --- 02/04/05 10:57 AM Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
redfox Offline

What happened to the Mynderse basketball program over the past 5 years? They battled for league and sectional titles throughout the 90's and now can not win 5 games in a season and get blown out on a regular basis.

FingerLakes1.com
#119476 --- 02/04/05 11:33 AM Re: Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
Coach64 Offline

Loc: Houghton, MI
they got held to a touchdown and an extra point last night in waterloo....everything comes in cycles..its not all the time you have division 1 caliber athletes, with many division 3 atheletes as a supporting cast...doesnt come around too often....now once we merge;)

#119477 --- 02/04/05 02:17 PM Re: Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
redfox Offline

Even if they combined the two schools basketball teams they would just be average. They still would not compete for a title in class AA or AAA. I realize that division 1 caliber athletes don't come around too often and I am not saying they should win the league every year but they should at least be able to compete with the likes of Waterloo, PennYan, Whitman and Midlakes. Division 2 of the Finger Lakes League is not exactly stacked with power house teams. I can count on one hand how many times this year they have scored over 40 points in a game. They were always competitive even during rebuilding years in the past.

#119478 --- 02/04/05 04:24 PM Re: Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
MomRN Offline

I can't believe that you would vote for a merger with Seneca Falls. I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would vote for another merger in Waterloo. Don't you think that one merger was enough. It's nothing more than a dog and pony show. One more way to give the kids less and raise the taxes. I for one live in a small town so my kids go to a small town school. I want them to know their classmates. I don't want them to have a graduating class of 500. If I wanted that I would have moved to a bigger place.
The class sizes are too big in some cases as it is. Why would we want to increase them anymore. Be realistic, think about why you are here in a small town and not in Geneva and Canadaguia. We would be the third largest school behind Canadaguia and Victor if we merged. I want my kids to be able to enjoy their school days and to get out as much as they can.
We are going to pay for the new building, but merging is not the answer. Hopefully their little "straw vote" won't be another facade of "we are going to shove it down their throats anyway"!!

As far as the boys game last night, Waterloo did an outstanding job. I'm glad Kevin let the Seniors start. They played together very well. They should be proud of themselves. Sometimes the status quo needs to be changed. Maybe if the line up were changed once in a while, he'd find out different combinations that work well together.
As far as the Mynderse kids, they played well. It's hard to play in someone elses court on Senior night and not feel the pressure. It's kind of like homecoming.
All of this like anything is just my opinion.

#119479 --- 02/04/05 04:37 PM Re: Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
redfox Offline

I am not suggesting any type of merger or anything like that. I did not think Mynderse played well last night.

#119480 --- 02/04/05 10:55 PM Re: Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
Coach64 Offline

Loc: Houghton, MI
We would not be a AA or AAA school...if you combine the two schools graduating classes it will be somewhere around 230-250 students...not excatly canadaigua or victor numbers...im a waterloo graduate and yes i knew everyone...i even knew people form seneca falls...this merger is not going to make us a big area...its just going to put us on a more level playing field as other schools in our area. Im not even talking athletics, the academics will be able to be raised to a new level, more specialized classes, more college prepertory activities that will help our students of the future be more prepared for what is to come in the short years after graduation....when you think abou it, its a no brainer....times, they are a changin, and i think its about time that we welcomed change instead of being the eternal pessimests that many in our towns have always been.

#119481 --- 02/05/05 09:20 AM Re: Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
poohbear66 Offline

Loc: ny, usa
My question would be- if you did merge say to develop a better sports program like basketball, how many kids that get to play now would be sitting the bench because now its one team and not two? Is that fair?

#119482 --- 02/05/05 09:23 AM Re: Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
MomRN Offline

I am not an eternal pessimist, I just want the kids to be able to maintain their small class size to get more of the individual attention. What specialized classes would they offer. With the 80 minute block scheduling it leaves little room to take more than the required courses. And why are they not offering the specialized classes and prepatory college activities now? We don't need to merge with another school to achieve this. If it is something that needs to be written into the curriculum then write it in and hire someone who is qualified to teach it.
Maybe what they should do is get rid of Tenure. Then maybe we could weed out those who don't want to teach and are only there to collect their paycheck.
No where else in the working society are you guaranteed a job because of Tenure. If we screw up we get fired. Plain and simple and none of this happy crap that goes with it.
The merger is just another way to tell everyone that we are going to get 44 million dollars and we don't have to pay it back for 13 years. So in 13 years the taxes will be so high that the kids who are graduating now and have children and decide to work in the area will be paying for this mess.
How many do you think will stay? We are having a hard time getting them to stay here now. We certainly don't have any jobs in the area to keep them either.
I'm all for change, but not at the expense of the kids, so it is a no brainer, the school system will do the same as it is doing now, or has done with money from the Border City merger, nothing, just spending 44 million dollars and making the kids pay for it 13 years from now.
Just my opinion as is yours and like all opinions we all have one.

#119483 --- 02/05/05 09:37 AM Re: Mynderse Basketball, what happened?
MomRN Offline

You are absolutely correct. Do we have to be a big school, do you want your children to play sports. It's not like any of these kids are going on to play the NBA or the NFL. They are kids. If they are that good then their parents already know it and are taking care of it. They are kids let them enjoy high school, because we know it is no picnic when it is all over. My kids enjoy sports, but it's not their lives. They play to stay in shape and to keep their minds active. It's a good way to keep them on task, because without the grades they can't play. Staying small gives them all the opportunity to be involved. Do we want gangs and the like that they have in Geneva, because they don't have enough to keep the kids active, I think not. Do we really care if we play on the same playing field with the area schools, some people do, but the truth is we do it already. We do it all the time. We play the A - AA schools, that's how we get our higher seeding points. We can do anything that we want, we just have to have the people who are doing it, do it.