FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 22 of 22 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22
Topic Options
#1170099 --- 04/10/10 08:18 AM Re: < 90 days until new School Budget Vote [Re: DR. D]
rice and beans Offline

Originally Posted By: DR. D
Originally Posted By: rice and beans
[(2) When Waterloo absorbed the Border City School District, the Waterloo District enjoyed a $22 million windfall from the State Education Department. The Waterloo Board of Education applied a portion of the windfall toward freezing the school taxes for a period of years. So, while the school taxes of Seneca Falls and virtually every other school district in the state continued to rise, Waterloo's school taxes were frozen during that same period of time. So, today, Waterloo's taxes lag behind those of SF.

They sure as heck did NOT freeze anything, I cant imagine what would have happened if they did.

22 Million only equates to about 2.1 Million a year spread out over 10 years.

Let me be real clear here, THE MONEY STOPPED ROUGHLY 10 YEARS AGO!!!

Which at that point in time about 20 years ago when the merger was initated Waterloo had a smaller tax base than Seneca Falls however similer enrollment figures. Your own Community is resposible for its "measly Tax Base" Keep letting the Elitists pushing new busisness away, thumbs up its working great.

Forword to today, Waterloo has almost Double the student population of Seneca Falls. You actually can add SF and Romulus student populations and still be well under Waterloo's numbers.

You dont get it, eventually you wont have to complain your district will be a part of Waterloo's Borg Collective the State Education Dept. will see to that.

There wont be a merger just.......Dust In The Wind...........

Dr. D,

First of all, why are you so angry over the fact that the merger was defeated? That was years ago. Voters in BOTH Waterloo and SF were pleased with their school districts just the way they were, so the merger was defeated. The process couldn't have been more democratic (one taxpayer, one vote), and the percentage of eligible voters who turned out for the vote was exceptionally high, so no one can complain that it was because of voter apathy that the merger was defeated.

Over the years, I've read several of your posts in which you've indicated that it was SF voters who, because of their "elitism and SF-Waterloo rivalry mentality," that caused the merger to be defeated. The fact that Waterloo taxpayers voted down the merger is completely overlooked by you. And, when I look at why Waterloo voters voted against the merger, here's what I conclude:
Waterloo voters were pleased with the quality of education that the Waterloo District was providing their children, so they voted against the merger. Waterloo is a wonderful school district, and I wouldn't accuse their taxpayers of voting down the merger because they were "elitist or stuck in the old SF-Waterloo rivalry mentality." I am friends with many people in Waterloo, and I know that they're good and intelligent people who value the education that the Waterloo District provides its students.

It's one thing to have a civil discussion about whether or not two districts should have merged, but the anger, bitterness, and caustic remarks you've made about the SF School District and it's taxpayers over the past five years are not necessary.

Waterloo and SF are fine districts and both communities have taxpayers who are intelligent enough to evaluate the quality of their respective school districts and vote accordingly.

FingerLakes1.com
#1170109 --- 04/10/10 08:39 AM Re: < 90 days until new School Budget Vote [Re: rice and beans]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
I am not sour abour the merger, I know that it was defeated on both sides thats cut and dry.

Here is a blast from the past even.

Seneca Falls-Waterloo Vote No On Merger
Greg Cotterill Reporting for FingerLakes1.com & the Finger Lakes News Network
August 1, 2005

Voters in Seneca Falls and Waterloo have rejected a proposed merger of the two communities' School Districts. The margin was overwhelming in Seneca Falls, five to one against the merger. It was closer in Waterloo, with 59 percent opposed. Four thousand voters cast ballots in the two districts. Seneca Falls Superintendent Gerald Macaluso was somewhat surprised at the margin, but says the vote means residents are happy with the education their kids are getting. Macaluso says the underlying problems that led officials to consider the merger must still be addressed.

You yourself were one of the people that helped the defeat go down due to rivalries and history not based on fact or even general logic. Remember that cute little anti-merger website?

Here is the fact people are up in arms about the cost of education and how it transfers onto the taxpayer. Are you satisfied at the current cost or tax rate you are paying? Do you want to be part of the solution or part of the problem?

Do you want NYS to step in and decide who stays and who goes without any input or choice? The current plan on the table in Albany will be what is in the best interest of NYS. It will place the power in the hands of BOCES not the taxpayers, pretty slick huh.

I am completely for keeping the districts seperate and open to shareing services. Working together as a fiscially responsible county will save a bunch of headaches and wallet pains in the end.

Edited by DR. D (04/10/10 12:22 PM)

#1170188 --- 04/10/10 01:23 PM Re: < 90 days until new School Budget Vote [Re: DR. D]
rice and beans Offline

I am not sour abour the merger, I know that it was defeated on both sides thats cut and dry.

Here is a blast from the past even.

Seneca Falls-Waterloo Vote No On Merger
Greg Cotterill Reporting for FingerLakes1.com & the Finger Lakes News Network
August 1, 2005

Voters in Seneca Falls and Waterloo have rejected a proposed merger of the two communities' School Districts. The margin was overwhelming in Seneca Falls, five to one against the merger. It was closer in Waterloo, with 59 percent opposed. Four thousand voters cast ballots in the two districts. Seneca Falls Superintendent Gerald Macaluso was somewhat surprised at the margin, but says the vote means residents are happy with the education their kids are getting. Macaluso says the underlying problems that led officials to consider the merger must still be addressed.

You yourself were one of the people that helped the defeat go down due to rivalries and history not based on fact or even general logic. Remember that cute little anti-merger website?

Here is the fact people are up in arms about the cost of education and how it transfers onto the taxpayer. Are you satisfied at the current cost or tax rate you are paying? Do you want to be part of the solution or part of the problem?

Do you want NYS to step in and decide who stays and who goes without any input or choice? The current plan on the table in Albany will be what is in the best interest of NYS. It will place the power in the hands of BOCES not the taxpayers, pretty slick huh.

I am completely for keeping the districts seperate and open to shareing services. Working together as a fiscially responsible county will save a bunch of headaches and wallet pains in the end.

Dr.D,

With all due respect, you are indeed still bitter about the merger defeat. I've read numerous comments of yours on this forum over the past five years, and while virtually everyone else in SF and Waterloo has put the merger issue to rest, you still seem to have a lot of bitterness over its defeat. Again, I'm not sure why you're so bitter and angry about it; the voters in both districts have spoken and you just have to accept that.

In your posts over the past five years, you've made numerous comments about how SF voters voted the merger down due to "old rivalries and history, not logic." Let me make it clear that nothing could be further from the truth. You know it as well as I do. And, your comments are an insult to the taxpayers of SF. Again, I don't know why you still hold such anger and bitterness toward the SF School District and its taxpayers.

When I look at why Waterloo's taxpayers voted down the merger, I know that it was because they were happy with the high quality education that the Waterloo School District provides; not because of old athletic rivalries between the two school districts.

Now, I'm very sincere when I say this: I invite you to contact the Finger Lakes Times and ask them to provide you with every article they wrote during their coverage of the merger proposal. Then, post every article on this thread. Then, go through it with a fine-tooth comb and highlight every word that supports your belief that those against the merger felt that way because of the old "SF-Waterloo rivalry." Seriously, I really want you to do that.

And, I want you to consider this: An educational magazine that is national in scope did an article on how the SF-Waterloo merger process unfolded. It applauded the method that SF used in educating its voters on the pros and cons of the merger, calling it's community model "a most democratic process" since "pro-merger" and "anti-merger" groups held several meetings that were open to the public. The meetings were held so that taxpayers could cast an "educated vote" rather than "emotional vote." The result was a defeat of the merger by a 5-to-1 margin. I would like to believe that the 5-to-1 vote was based on the fact that the taxpayers were pleased with the education that the SF District was providing....not because of old athletic rivalries.

#1170217 --- 04/10/10 04:18 PM Re: < 90 days until new School Budget Vote [Re: rice and beans]
DR. D Offline

Loc: Waterloo/Seneca Falls/Junius/T...
You did not get the whole theme of what i wrote, and you chose to focous on the old issue. You didnt even read the part about WE are going to be faced with something that will not be a choice however will be forced on us all.

It would seem you are bitter since you cannot drop the issue. I was just offering up something to back up what you said and you still are being nasty about it.

#1171102 --- 04/13/10 09:52 AM Re: < 90 days until new School Budget Vote [Re: DR. D]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
You didnt even read the part about WE are going to be faced with something that will not be a choice however will be forced on us all.

times are tough

#1171179 --- 04/13/10 01:10 PM Re: < 90 days until new School Budget Vote [Re: bluezone]
dementia praecox Offline

Loc: happy pills
http://fingerlakesdailynews.com/articles/view/659406/

amd the bar gets lowered every day

teachers charged for stealing children's cafeteria lunches

#1171183 --- 04/13/10 01:37 PM Re: < 90 days until new School Budget Vote [Re: dementia praecox]
dementia praecox Offline

Loc: happy pills
http://www.mediaite.com/online/nj-teachers-union-jokes-about-gov-chris-christies-death/

In NJ the teachers union joke about governors death ...

“Dear Lord … this year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays. … I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor.”

and the bar gets lower.

#1171748 --- 04/15/10 09:09 AM Re: < 90 days until new School Budget Vote [Re: dementia praecox]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
Two City School Board Members Taking Pay Cuts
By: Scott Fairbanks

First Rochester City School Superintendent Jean-Claude Brizard, now some members of the city school board are taking pay cuts.

Board President Malik Evans told YNN that he and fellow board member Van White are both taking 10 percent pay cuts for the next school year.

The district is facing state and federal aid cuts totaling $15.7 million.

The city school district is facing a budget deficit of more than $61 million

Page 22 of 22 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22