FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#115819 --- 01/30/05 07:25 PM Telephone Hijacking
Repair Offline

This letter has been given to all the media across the country. Please read it and beware if you have Verizon as your telephone carrier. Channel nine repoted another family that had their phone hijacked. Verizon would not do anything for them either. I have written to every news media in the United States, every govenor and Senator. I have heard from many people who have Verizon and they would not help them. Please if you have Verizon, FIND SOMEONE ELSE!!!!

This article is being written to make the readers aware. Recently I received my telephone bill and found that I had incurred over $2,000.00 in International phone calls that I did not make. My computer had been high-jacked by a "dialer" that was able to connect to an International number in Vanuatu and charge the expense to my number. I contacted my telephone company (Verizon) and informed them of this. I explained that I did not make these phone calls and felt that I should not be charged for them. They informed me that since the calls were made from my computer that I was responsible. They would not credit me for the amount of the phone calls that were not made by me and only offered to prorate the cost and credit my account. Since that time, I have received several phone messages from them. When I return the calls, they are unaware of who called or the reason they have called. In trying to resolve this matter, I called them only to be switched from one representative to another several times during the conversation. Every time a representative comes on the line to assist me, I am having to explain the entire situation over again. At this point we still have not resolved this issue. Verizon was willing to set up a payment plan after several attempts to do so. They refuse to put the payment plan in writing, stating that it is not their policy. Therefore, I am not protected from them changing there mind or stating the agreement was not made as they have already done. This payment plan, however, will only last for a three month period at which time they will send it to a collection department. They have also discontinued my long distance calling ability until the bill is paid in full. This I do not understand since I am on a payment plan and paying on a monthly basis for something that is not my fault. The reasoning for the discontinuation of service that Verizon is giving me is that the bill is two high. We have contacted Senator Nozzolio, the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney General for assistance. The Attorney General recommended a payment plan until the matter is resolved so that Verizon does not turn me into the Credit Bureau and destroy our credit. The Attorney General ensured me that if the dispute is settled in our favor, it will be Verizon’s responsibility to pay back the amount that we have paid in the payment plan.

I am writing this to make the public aware that this can happen to you. Take the time and learn from our experience. Be sure to be aware of what protection your telephone company offers. Verizon is not a good choice. We have since changed our service to AT&T. They have informed us that if this happened again they would void any expense to us.

FingerLakes1.com
#115820 --- 02/02/05 03:14 PM Re: Telephone Hijacking
E. Mousie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: in my suite in the bookcase!
whew...that's awful, Verizon gave me heqq on starting the internet...and played telephone tag for 2 days of sheer frustrration too.
Every time I had to explain the problem, and they would put me on hold wasting hours of time without explanation. It wasn't until I got truely irritated, furious and fairly roared at them, fix or I will leave.
Now, I've got another reason to look for some alternatives somewhere...sigh...is aol running verizon?

#115821 --- 02/03/05 06:29 PM Re: Telephone Hijacking
Repair Offline

I have talked to many Verizon customers and have heard the same story over and over.When this first started all I wanted from them is to talk to someone who knew what they were talking about. We tried for weeks to find someone who could make a decision on what we could do or what they could do for us. To this day we still do not know where we stand. Please if you read this find out what your carrier will do if this happens. And if you do have Verizon, WATCH OUT!!!!!