FingerLakes1.com Forums
Topic Options
#1157432 --- 03/10/10 06:50 AM Wilhelmina's in New York Times
DeReRustica Offline

Loc: Boondox, Seneca Co.
The real estate section of the New York Times has Wilhelmina's Art Gallery in the Great Homes and Destinations feature. That's nice visibility for Seneca Falls.

Edited by DeReRustica (03/10/10 06:51 AM)

FingerLakes1.com
#1157436 --- 03/10/10 07:07 AM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: DeReRustica]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I got that link in an email this morning! Very cool.

#1157442 --- 03/10/10 07:22 AM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: past tense]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: past tense

Yes, that's very nice. I hope it helps her sell it.

I know of several couples that have looked at the home and thought the price was right (even when it was priced higher), but turned away due to the high taxes. I believe it's been on the market for a few years.

#1157492 --- 03/10/10 09:39 AM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: Ghosts]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
The Village Taxes has kept it from selling

#1157549 --- 03/10/10 10:44 AM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
The Village Taxes has kept it from selling

The same thing for the neat old Sahler home on Cayuga St. More then one family that I know have expressed interest, but will not buy it because of the outrageous Village taxes. One family lives in the Town and another lives in another community.

Sadly, if something doesn't change, you will see many more of the Village homes sitting empty or deteriorating. It was suggested, years ago, to provide tax incentives for home owners, within the historic district, to improve their homes. Like everything proposed that would be possitive in the Village, that was a no go.

Many homes in the “historic” Village are looking a bit shabby. It’s not that they don’t care, but either the owner’s can’t afford to maintain them (having to put so much money aside for taxes) or, if they do one little project to improve them, their assessments shoot up . . . thus, making them even more difficult to maintain.

#1157552 --- 03/10/10 10:48 AM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: Ghosts]
LionQueen Offline

Loc: The Woods
She was made an offer just a few weeks ago - she turned it down. The house hasn't sold not because of taxes but due to the fact that the house needs over $100,000 of repairs, sadly. It is a beautiful home but not livable without the repairs.

#1157564 --- 03/10/10 11:05 AM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: LionQueen]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: LionQueen
She was made an offer just a few weeks ago - she turned it down. The house hasn't sold not because of taxes but due to the fact that the house needs over $100,000 of repairs, sadly. It is a beautiful home but not livable without the repairs.

Not liveable? Is it condemned? Poor Mrs. Sahler lived in squaller? I can only speak to the families, that I personally know, who would like the home (even in it’s present condition) but stated they would not buy because of the Village taxes. To them, the house needed a little “fixing up.”

Your $100,000 repair bill is suspect. Of course, you would probably hire someone to study the restoration project for a year, hire a architect to draw up plans with numerous revisions, hire a high end contractor from Rochester to hire sub-contractors from Syracuse do the work. Oh yeah, lets not forget the team of attorneys to dot all of the “i’s” and cross all of the “t’s and to continually rewrite the contract in an attempt to confuse the buyer and get more money.

#1157568 --- 03/10/10 11:11 AM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: Ghosts]
Ghosts Offline

And, if you are speaking to Wilhelmina's . . . pretty much what I said about the Sahler home applies there too.

#1157573 --- 03/10/10 11:24 AM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: LionQueen]
Ghosts Offline

Based on this, I hope that she gets her assessment lowered $100,00 to a more appropriate tax level.

#1157593 --- 03/10/10 12:27 PM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: LionQueen]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Define "not livable" are their existing code violations at the Village and County on this house?

#1157701 --- 03/10/10 05:43 PM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: Ghosts]
A Better SF Offline

Originally Posted By: Ghosts
Originally Posted By: past tense

Yes, that's very nice. I hope it helps her sell it.

I know of several couples that have looked at the home and thought the price was right (even when it was priced higher), but turned away due to the high taxes. I believe it's been on the market for a few years.

They might also have been put off by the buckets on the stairs catching the water pouring through the roof or the 1950's kitchen. At least my friends were when they looked at it. The house needs some repair before it's going to sell

#1157703 --- 03/10/10 05:45 PM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: A Better SF]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Why isn't the Village forcing maintence repairs?

#1157766 --- 03/10/10 08:12 PM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
shadow77 Offline

Loc: new york
Why would they?

#1157769 --- 03/10/10 08:15 PM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: Ghosts]
shadow77 Offline

Loc: new york
You have a one track mind and are becoming quite boring

#1157787 --- 03/10/10 08:37 PM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: shadow77]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: shadow77
You have a one track mind and are becoming quite boring

Well my, my . . . I am so sorry . . . NOT! Believe me, I don’t post here for your entertainment. Bored? Don't read my posts. Besides, I wouldn't want you to nod off and bump your nose on your keyboard.

#1157789 --- 03/10/10 08:39 PM Re: Wilhelmina's in New York Times [Re: shadow77]
lookkidsadeer Offline

Loc: village
Maybe he should put his name on a ballot if he knows so much.