FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1156886 --- 03/08/10 05:49 PM Information night set for Wednesday
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
Information night set for Wednesday

SENECA FALLS — Stressing the importance of an informed electorate, the Seneca Falls Dissolution Study Committee has planned an information forum for 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Community Center, 35 Water St.

The committee will again explain the facts of the village dissolution plan that will be voted on by village residents March 16.

“The purpose of the meeting is to present again the facts as included in our plan as presented Dec. 7 to the Village Board,” said Philip Dressing, committee chairman. “It will be a facts-only presentation. It will not be biased by side comments,” he added, noting questions will be allowed if submitted to the committee in writing on question cards. There will not be questions taken from the floor.

“Questions which can be answered within the context of the plan will be answered,” he said.

Dressing said one of the committee’s original goals was educating the public, and he noted the number of public meetings over the past year.

“We feel that clear, factual information is most important now as people consider their views on the dissolution vote,” Dressing said. “We want people to be equipped with facts to allow them to cast informed votes on March 16.”

Light refreshments will be available.

The vote details

Voting on the dissolution proposition and for 1st and 4th Ward village trustees, will be noon to 9 p.m. Tuesday, March 16, in the Seneca Falls Community Center, 35 Water St.

As of March 1, there were 4,284 people registered and eligible to vote March 16.

THE DISSOLUTION PROPOSITION

“Shall the Village of Seneca Falls, Seneca County, New York be dissolved pursuant to Article 19 of the New York State Village Law as set forth in the Plan of Dissolution adopted by the Village Board on January 11, 2010, which incorporates the Dissolution Report and Plan dated November 2009, prepared by the Village Dissolution Study Committee, with the understanding that the Town of Seneca Falls has not agreed to provide police protection in the manner described in the Dissolution Plan?’’

FingerLakes1.com
#1156928 --- 03/08/10 07:38 PM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Senecamom]
shadow77 Offline

Loc: new york
You should correct that to read : SOME members of the FORMER dissolution committee are having a forum to try and convince you to vote for their plan. Enough already ! It has been presented several times by several groups. I don't know how you can state anything as FACT from this report as it's conclusions were made in haste and do not serve the community as a whole. Do you really want the town (TOV) folks to pay your way? You call that a solution? There has to be a better way. You claim to be educated, why don't you come up with something that is fair to all involved?

#1157008 --- 03/09/10 05:12 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: shadow77]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: shadow77
You should correct that to read : SOME members of the FORMER dissolution committee are having a forum to try and convince you to vote for their plan. Enough already

What's your point? What does it matter if ALL or SOME members of the FORMER dissolution committee are having a forum? Are you trying to tell us that a person(s) doesn't believe in the Final Dissolution Report? If that's what you are trying to say . . . just say it already.

It’s no big leap to believe that the Mayor or Administrator won’t be there . . . neither should never have been part of the committee in the first place. They still seem to have difficulty in comprehending the FACTS. So, who else?

The purpose of the Final Report (and the meeting of SOME of the FORMER committee) is to a answer questions and to present FACTS and not OPINION.

#1157014 --- 03/09/10 05:27 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Senecamom]
Bud Vase Offline

Loc: In the Garden
Originally Posted By: Senecamom

“Shall the Village of Seneca Falls, Seneca County, New York be dissolved pursuant to Article 19 of the New York State Village Law as set forth in the Plan of Dissolution adopted by the Village Board on January 11, 2010, which incorporates the Dissolution Report and Plan dated November 2009, prepared by the Village Dissolution Study Committee, with the understanding that the Town of Seneca Falls has not agreed to provide police protection in the manner described in the Dissolution Plan?’’

I can't believe the wording in this ballot. How warped is this? I pity the future of the Village and Town if dissolution does not get approved.

Edited by Bud Vase (03/09/10 05:37 AM)

#1157034 --- 03/09/10 05:51 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Bud Vase]
Teacher73 Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY, Seneca
I pity the future of the entire SF Community if the dissolution gets approved. Township residents don't get a say on this one way or another. They have such a good deal tax wise and there is a concerted interest in getting access to that. The much reviled garbage mountain apparently provides something that is worth fighting for. So the Village voters approve the dissolution and the Township residents get an increase in their taxes. Sounds like the beginning of a long and never ending source of conflict - resentment of the day that Township residents lost their special deal without ever getting a say whether they approve or not. Of course if they had a chance to vote on it they wouldn't approve it but that point is irrelevant: the law that allows this process excludes their participation. The pro-dissolution folks couldn't care less. Maybe it's a win-win for the soon to be former Village but it's a lose - lose for the Township. And how long will it take to heal the divisions which this could cause? Never.

Edited by Teacher73 (03/09/10 05:53 AM)

#1157049 --- 03/09/10 06:45 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Teacher73]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Teacher73
Maybe it's a win-win for the soon to be former Village but it's a lose - lose for the Township. And how long will it take to heal the divisions which this could cause? Never.

Thanks to both the Village and Town leaders and their inability to cooperate, regardless of vote outcome, true . . .there will be huge divisions. It won’t be just the animosity of the Village against the Town or vice versa, but some Village neighbors against neighbors and some pro-dissolution residents against the Village employees. What a mess our leaders have caused. Shame on ALL of them.

#1157052 --- 03/09/10 06:54 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Ghosts]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I had several interesting discussions about this issue while home this last weekend. Some of the smartest people I know fall on both sides of the discussion. It's hard to know what's best, but can't everyone agree that SOMETHING has got to give in order to shore up mere survival?

#1157106 --- 03/09/10 09:06 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: past tense]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: past tense
I had several interesting discussions about this issue while home this last weekend. Some of the smartest people I know fall on both sides of the discussion. It's hard to know what's best, but can't everyone agree that SOMETHING has got to give in order to shore up mere survival?

To me it seems that, if the Village and Town leaders had not been so territorial, there could have been some open and honest discussion leading to a solid plan, for all of us (Village and Town), to weather this disastrous economy. No such thing in these two small governments abundantly filled with self-serving, egotistic, power hungry individuals . . . using nepotism, cronisum, dishonesty, etc to hold on to the status quo. They have all long forgotten that they work for the interests of us . . . the taxpayers. IMO!

Edited by Ghosts (03/09/10 09:12 AM)

#1157111 --- 03/09/10 09:27 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Ghosts]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Excuse me Ghosts but the Town has accepted responsibility for "territory" the Village Services. It is the Village that wants to remain connected to these services by demanding who gets hired, the headcounts, the benefits, etc.

The Village has been the ones that are the self-serving, egotistic, power hungry individuals . . . using nepotism, cronisum, dishonesty, etc to hold on to the status quo.

#1157118 --- 03/09/10 09:36 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
Excuse me Ghosts but the Town has accepted responsibility for "territory" the Village Services. It is the Village that wants to remain connected to these services by demanding who gets hired, the headcounts, the benefits, etc.

The Village has been the ones that are the self-serving, egotistic, power hungry individuals . . . using nepotism, cronisum, dishonesty, etc to hold on to the status quo.

You’re excused!

What I was alluding to was years of disappointing “history” between the Village and Town leaders. Neither the Town nor Village residents should be in this situation. You are correct stating that NOW the Town is striving to end the status quo . . . because they are bright enough to see the writing on the wall. For that, I am grateful. But, unless Dissolution takes place, it will be bickering business as usual.

So . . . VOTE YES!

Edited by Ghosts (03/09/10 09:38 AM)

#1157125 --- 03/09/10 10:28 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Ghosts]
Footstepsabove Offline

Our current mayor's personality is such that she MUST always have the upper hand, must always be correct, must never be challenged. It is paramount for her to be perceived as being in control and right. She will prevaricate and dodge, even reinvent history, whenever she feels backed into a corner or feels she may be seen in an unflattering light (regarding her positions or decisions).

Our current town supervisor's personality is such that he will dig in his heels and slap back when faced with a personality such as the current mayor's.

Ergo, no progress on shared services or devising ways to provide more efficient services throughout our community, and a push by disgusted and frustrated taxpayers to remove one layer of intransigence from the equation.

I am not enamored of dissolution but I am of looking for greater efficiency and prudent spending. But with the chemistry of the current "leadership" there is no chance of community growth through collaborative thinking.

The latest evidence that not much will change is the proposed 2010-11 Village Budget just released. Not a serious effort to address our fiscal situation.

#1157126 --- 03/09/10 10:33 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Ghosts]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
IF dissolution goes through, the WHOLE town will vote on all matters regarding the town-village. Since we all know how hard it is to get voters out. The winner in this will be the group that can mobilize voters when the time arises. The better organized voters will control the wallets of the lesser organized side.

#1157127 --- 03/09/10 10:46 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Footstepsabove]
Mawaga Offline

Originally Posted By: Footstepsabove
The latest evidence that not much will change is the proposed 2010-11 Village Budget just released. Not a serious effort to address our fiscal situation.

...nailed

#1157132 --- 03/09/10 11:35 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Footstepsabove]
grinch Offline

Loc: New York State
Originally Posted By: Footstepsabove
Our current mayor's personality is such that she MUST always have the upper hand, must always be correct, must never be challenged. It is paramount for her to be perceived as being in control and right. She will prevaricate and dodge, even reinvent history, whenever she feels backed into a corner or feels she may be seen in an unflattering light (regarding her positions or decisions).

Our current town supervisor's personality is such that he will dig in his heels and slap back when faced with a personality such as the current mayor's.

Ergo, no progress on shared services or devising ways to provide more efficient services throughout our community, and a push by disgusted and frustrated taxpayers to remove one layer of intransigence from the equation.

I am not enamored of dissolution but I am of looking for greater efficiency and prudent spending. But with the chemistry of the current "leadership" there is no chance of community growth through collaborative thinking.

Your comments on the mayor are similar in nature to those made about every mayor in recent history. Most were reelected if they chose to run because the majority of voters continue to reelect those they deem mirrors their wants and needs.

I disagree that no progress on shared services has been made as it is readily apparent there has been a good deal of progress.. There is a code enforcement issue which is minor and blown out of proportion that could easily be resolved. I am not clear on what other services to the village which can be shared.

Is not the assessor and office space being shared by the Village and the town? That occurred not so many years ago. All expenses are paid by the town.

We had two courts a village and a town court, now there is but one court and courtroom to my knowledge serving residents of the town and the village. The Town pays all costs.

The sewer and water department is a separate function although owned by the Village. The town has laid water and sewer lines and formed taxing districts for those properties that benefited to pay the cost. I believe those lines were dedicated to the Village Water Department at no cost. The village sets the rates and has benefited by lower rates within the village while charging those outside of the village higher rates plus costs of sewer and water districts where financing was necessary to complete the project. There is no cost to the village.

The town supports the Community center within the village. The village does not support that through taxes.

The Town monetarily supports most if not all museums within the Village limits. The village supports possibly one.

The Town monetarily supports every village celebration by donating yearly. The Village does not.

The town furnished a major contribution for a Community library and financial support yearly. The Village does not.

The Town monetarily supports numerous parks, recreational programs, provides a meeting place and a COMMUNITY CENTER centered within the village at no cost to the Village.

The Fire Department is a paid department servicing the Village for 180 years. Costs are borne through Village taxes.

Police protection in a concentrated area is wanted by a majority of voters who wish to retain services as they are. Villages taxes pay for that extra service.

The Village DPW services only the village and its unique needs and is paid by village taxes. Bayard St. is a sticking point, just as Route 414 and Route 5&20 are it is a major avenue in and out of the Village. A case could be made the County and or the State should be paying for a share of upkeep on that roadway as well as River Rd and E. Bayard ext. Their responsibility should not end at the Village of Seneca Falls limits. I am surprised we have not heard more of efforts to seek funding for its repair from the County and the State. Dissolving the village merely transfers those costs unto the town rather than solve the situation.

All Town roads are maintained and serviced by a Town Highway department at no cost to the village. Those outside of town pay a tax as their share, Villagers do not.

The town pays for a host of amenities within the village at no cost to village or town residents. The desired services and amenities not furnished to all town residents but needed and desired by village residents are paid through village taxes. Any service provided to those outside of town are paid through taxing districts as no cost to the town or village/town resident.

Frankly, what more can the Town do? Why should all town residents pay for the extravagance of the Village they alone are responsible for? The clash of personalities between two leaders is hardly cause for dissolving a village. Politicians come and go, some good some bad.

It is more feasible to control costs within the village by reducing its expenditures and or services than it is to export those costs into the entire town. It will be no more controllable at the Town level than in a village where the majority of residents reside. The Village should right its own ship and control it's costs. Merely transferring the problem to the town prolongs the problem, not solve it.

Soon the entire town will be facing a similar situation as the root cause of the problem has not been addressed.

Edited by grinch (03/09/10 02:36 PM)

#1157137 --- 03/09/10 11:41 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: grinch]
Greymane Offline

Originally Posted By: grinch

Your comments on the mayor are similar in nature to those made about every mayor in recent history. Most were reelected if they chose to run because the majority of voters continue to reelect those they deem mirrors their wants and needs.

Grinch, I can't believe such nonsense coming from you. Look at the county, the state and the federal government. We elect total crap because that is what runs and we don't like change so we keep puttin incumbents back in even though they are trashing the country. The only thing mirrored is greed. "Give me some of that pork and I don't care what you do."

#1157142 --- 03/09/10 11:46 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Greymane]
grinch Offline

It is unfortunate you view my opinion as nonsense.

I spoke of how things have worked under our political system. As I stated comparing personalities of various politicians is not a reason to destroy a village.

So be it.

Greed is more obvious in those supporting dissolution as they scratch, claw and kick their feet. If one can say Give me the Pork it shoule be applied squarely on those proposing to dissolve SF.

#1157145 --- 03/09/10 11:52 AM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: grinch]
Greymane Offline

I agree with you completely about the dissolution. I just think that your reasoning with regard to how people vote is giving most voters way too much credit.

Let the village pass their burden on to the rest of the town residents and see how fast the entire town racks up the tax bill.

#1157182 --- 03/09/10 01:24 PM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Greymane]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
I am amazed that some on here would even find fault with an informational meeting, when your neighbors are giving up their time to inform voters.

Never ceases to amaze me.

If ignorance is bliss then why aren't there alot more happy people? seriously.

It's a no brainer.

#1157223 --- 03/09/10 04:32 PM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: Greymane]
grinch Offline

Originally Posted By: Greymane
I agree with you completely about the dissolution. I just think that your reasoning with regard to how people vote is giving most voters way too much credit.

Let the village pass their burden on to the rest of the town residents and see how fast the entire town racks up the tax bill.

Perhaps I do.

I spoke with one this morning who is completely befuddled. He thinks when he leaves the village limits he needs a passport. The concept that he lives in the village AND is a Town resident as well is beyond his ability to sort out the information. I hesitated to tell him he is also a resident of Seneca Co., NYS and the USA thus taxed by those entitys as well. Not having been taxed for years by the Town has lulled him into thinking it will be a free ride. In hindsight the Town may have made a mistake by eliminating a general tax levy, it would have served as a reminder they have costs and the power to levy taxes on everyone, not just on those living outside of the village. He does not understand his village taxes pays for amenities and services he receives as a village resident not available through the Town.

I surmise many on this board who post are equally as uninformed.

Should this measure pass they are in for a rude awakening when the January Tax bill arrives after dissolution.

#1157236 --- 03/09/10 05:01 PM Re: Information night set for Wednesday [Re: grinch]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
The Village increasing the Tax Rate as well as avoiding any Capital Projects shows complete arrogance and disrespect for the taxpayer.

At the expense of crumbling Capital Projects the Village Board chose to put a SHAM Budget up to FOOL the people or is it to make FOOLS out of the taxpayers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >