FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1152886 --- 02/27/10 07:55 PM Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate?
McLovin' Offline

Loc: In the land of freedom
We always hear, "I'm going to vote for the best candidate."

What's the criteria for a good trustee?

I'll start--->Able to devote a good amount of time into the job. Time to prepare for, and go to, meetings.

FingerLakes1.com
#1152932 --- 02/27/10 10:26 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate? [Re: McLovin']
Mean Gene Offline

Loc: Yates County
be an independent thinker, don't just go with what the Mayor and Village Attorney puts in front of you for a signature.

#1152933 --- 02/27/10 10:31 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate? [Re: Mean Gene]
Mean Gene Offline

BTW does anyone know if the Village Attorney ever drew up a proposed village ordinance for a parking fee for boat trailers at the boat launch site? There was at least one board motion, possibly two to get that done within the last couple of years. It was suppose to be for non-village residents.
There are thousands of dollars a year slipping away in parking fees that could be collected.

#1152958 --- 02/28/10 05:22 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate? [Re: Mean Gene]
Wayne Davidson Offline

Loc: Penn Yan
Originally Posted By: Mean Gene
BTW does anyone know if the Village Attorney ever drew up a proposed village ordinance for a parking fee for boat trailers at the boat launch site? There was at least one board motion, possibly two to get that done within the last couple of years. It was suppose to be for non-village residents.
There are thousands of dollars a year slipping away in parking fees that could be collected.

Not yet

#1153019 --- 02/28/10 07:53 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Wayne Davidson]
pystew Offline

Loc: Beautiful Penn Yan
Originally Posted By: Wayne Davidson

Not yet

Last May when we seemed close to voting on the parking fees, the Attorney informed the Board that we would have to change the law to authorize us to charge those fees. The May Board Minutes said
Quote:
... Atty.
Brockman would draft up a local law and he feels the Village would be able to start charging until at least August.

I asked about it at the October meeting when some people announced there would be two fishing derbies held at the Boat Launch next summer. I must have taken D'Abbracci by surprised, when he
Quote:
explained they are still reviewing it and will be working on this during the winter.

I brought it back up in January and February. I hope this does get rolling because I agree with you about getting the money from non py residents. The goal in May was to get the law passed so we could get in going by last August, I hope that we can get the law passed and this started by Memorial Day.

You can read the complete minutes of this topic be going to the Village Website, http://www.villageofpennyan.com and read the minutes from April, May, October, 2009 and January 2010. February's minutes are not posted yet.

#1153020 --- 02/28/10 08:01 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: pystew]
Mean Gene Offline

Good luck getting that in motion, the first time it was brought up, long before what you mentioned, the Village Attorney told me that I needed to come up with a way to "enforce" it. I told him to write the ordinance and the police department would figure out how we were going to "police" it. Dan Doyle & I had researched fees at the State Park and had come up with a reasonable permit fee structure and "fines" for not buying a permit. I had forwarded pics to Dan from down in Florida on how they used "pay stations" for parking.
This issue has been "hanging" out there for about three years now. Someone needs to "take the bull by the horns" and git er done! \:\)

#1153032 --- 02/28/10 08:24 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
pystew Offline

I knew someone who was in Florida sent some pictures. I asked Hoban and he had no idea what I was talking about. That is why I was surprised when they said that they were still reviewing it. I really thought we were ready to vote on it in last May.

#1153294 --- 02/28/10 06:34 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: McLovin']
Love PY Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: McLovin'

I'll start--->Able to devote a good amount of time into the job. Time to prepare for, and go to, meetings.
Even temperment, Oops, you're out Mad Mike.

#1153628 --- 03/01/10 12:30 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Love PY]
C.I.Brown Offline

Loc: PY,NY
My Chrismas wish for a good trustee would be someone who is able to put himself in the shoes of the constituents. He would take time to make informed decisions on behalf of the constutuents, and not just his small circle of friends. For instance, at the last board meeting, discussion was on adding a trainee electrical groundsman position for someone who is going to retire in 3-4 years. Discussion centered around hiring him now or in the very near future and to pay full-time salary and benefits so that there is a smooth transition in 3-4 years when the current guy retires. So in effect, we would be paying two guys to do the work of one. Who in their right mind would train someone for 3-4 years at full-time salary and benefits? And I suppose he would be entitled to the obligatory annual 3 percent raise.

#1153644 --- 03/01/10 01:06 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: C.I.Brown]
Wayne Davidson Offline

Originally Posted By: C.I.Brown
My Chrismas wish for a good trustee would be someone who is able to put himself in the shoes of the constituents. He would take time to make informed decisions on behalf of the constutuents, and not just his small circle of friends. For instance, at the last board meeting, discussion was on adding a trainee electrical groundsman position for someone who is going to retire in 3-4 years. Discussion centered around hiring him now or in the very near future and to pay full-time salary and benefits so that there is a smooth transition in 3-4 years when the current guy retires. So in effect, we would be paying two guys to do the work of one. Who in their right mind would train someone for 3-4 years at full-time salary and benefits? And I suppose he would be entitled to the obligatory annual 3 percent raise.

Re the discussion on adding a trainee, I agree 100% with C.I. Brown. I personally would not vote to hire any village or MUB replacement three years in advance.

#1153732 --- 03/01/10 05:28 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Wayne Davidson]
Mean Gene Offline

Would you vote to hire a convicted felon to work at MUB?

#1153736 --- 03/01/10 05:40 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Wayne Davidson]
scottm207 Offline

Loc: PY but not for long!
Originally Posted By: Wayne Davidson

Re the discussion on adding a trainee, I agree 100% with C.I. Brown. I personally would not vote to hire any village or MUB replacement three years in advance.

A lot of "apprenticeship" programs are that long in length, that's not uncommon. You might be able to compress it to two years, maybe not. I realize that there is a desire to not pay for more people than are truly needed. But too many times, not enough time is allotted to train a replacement for someone that will be retiring.

Historical knowledge of a job is often priceless and if the new replacement does not have the skills or experience when the retirement occurs, you will be left paying for expensive outside contractors or accident claims. That needs to be considered when making this decision.

Something to keep in mind, in my opinion.

#1153740 --- 03/01/10 05:44 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
Ringold Offline

Loc: Here and Now
Can anyone (Gene?) comment on the method of enforcement? I had heard that tickets would be written and put on all windshields at the boat launch and it was up to the PY village residents to go to court and spend their personal time to "prove" their residency and get the ticket dismissed. What a waste of people's (and the Court's) time. Please say it ain't so.

#1153751 --- 03/01/10 06:17 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Ringold]
Mean Gene Offline

Ringold--no validity to that rumor that tickets would be issues as stated above. The truth of the matter is NOTHING will happen until the Village attorney writes section of applicable law regarding permits for non village residents and fines for failure to buy a parking permit for non residents. A simple process would be for the Village to invest in a "pay station" (expensive up front cost) that a non-resident would insert either cash or a credit card to buy parking time for their trailer at the launch site. It was discussed that Village residents or people who owned property in the Village could go to the Village office and obtain a free permit by showing proof of residency each year.

#1153754 --- 03/01/10 06:29 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
Samuel Offline

Loc: Potter, NY
Why does anything need to be changed there? I have never seen a problem with random cars parked and left there. There are so few places to launch a boat anymore. Just let it be.

#1153764 --- 03/01/10 07:06 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Samuel]
pystew Offline

Samuel,
You will still be able to park your car, resident or non-resident, at the boat launch site with no charge. The permit is for non-residents who park their boat trailers. It is not uncommon to have vacationers come on Saturday, launch their boat, and not come back to the Launch Site until the next Friday to pick up their boat.

This is a Village owned Launch site. We welcome others to use it and enjoy the lake, but the 5000 people of Penn Yan should not be footing the whole bill. Doing research the price we were talking about last year($5 a day or $25 a year) is pretty reasonable.

#1153766 --- 03/01/10 07:15 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: pystew]
Love PY Offline

Originally Posted By: pystew
Samuel,
You will still be able to park your car, resident or non-resident, at the boat launch site with no charge. The permit is for non-residents who park their boat trailers. It is not uncommon to have vacationers come on Saturday, launch their boat, and not come back to the Launch Site until the next Friday to pick up their boat.

This is a Village owned Launch site. We welcome others to use it and enjoy the lake, but the 5000 people of Penn Yan should not be footing the whole bill. Doing research the price we were talking about last year($5 a day or $25 a year) is pretty reasonable.
What costs are associated with the boat launch site? Also, are the people who own cottages on the lake considered residence. Given the significant amount of money they pay in taxes is it fair to charge them? Just curious.

#1153768 --- 03/01/10 07:17 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
Love PY Offline

Would you vote to hire a convicted felon to work at MUB?
Too late the MUB alread has one. Wasn't he convicted twice on felony charges. Wasn't one involving a brawl at a concert in Buffalo with police?

Also, didn't Mad Mike know he was a felon when he got hired?

How'd he get into the club?

Edited by Love PY (03/01/10 07:17 PM)

#1153769 --- 03/01/10 07:17 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: pystew]
Samuel Offline

Samuel,

Thanks for the info. pystew. I'll first say that it's PY business so basically it does not effect me in the least. But I think it will cost more to create an ordinance, print out permits and enforce it than you would ever make in fees to non-residents. I have never seen more than 3-4 boat trailers there at a time if any at all.

#1153782 --- 03/01/10 07:41 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
Ringold Offline

Ringold--no validity to that rumor that tickets would be issues as stated above. The truth of the matter is NOTHING will happen until the Village attorney writes section of applicable law regarding permits for non village residents and fines for failure to buy a parking permit for non residents. A simple process would be for the Village to invest in a "pay station" (expensive up front cost) that a non-resident would insert either cash or a credit card to buy parking time for their trailer at the launch site. It was discussed that Village residents or people who owned property in the Village could go to the Village office and obtain a free permit by showing proof of residency each year.

Thanks MG. That would have been a terrible idea. Now, does this potential local law involve fees for launching/site use or is it intended for those that launch and leave their trailers there for more than a day or two?

If it's for daily use/launching fees, then there could be some serious revenue potential on the weekends with the fishing derbies and the pleasure craft. As you are aware, on some weekends there isn't a spot to be had and they're parked all the way up the driveway to Keuka St.

#1153792 --- 03/01/10 07:55 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Ringold]
C.I.Brown Offline

I think our full-time recreation director, Dan Doyle, could be put to use here. Our 40 hour a week director could write tickets at the boat launch site. What else does he have to do?

#1153795 --- 03/01/10 08:00 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: C.I.Brown]
Ringold Offline

I think our full-time recreation director, Dan Doyle, could be put to use here. Our 40 hour a week director could write tickets at the boat launch in their right mind wants to work weekends?Not me.[quote=C.I.Brown]I think our full-time recreation director, Dan Doyle, could be put to use here. Our 40 hour a week director could write tickets at the boat launch site. What else does he have to do?

Good point but who wants to work weekends?

#1153798 --- 03/01/10 08:10 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Ringold]
C.I.Brown Offline

He could work weekends if it is part of the 40 hours a week that he owes the taxpayers.

#1153810 --- 03/01/10 08:53 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Love PY]
pystew Offline

Originally Posted By: Love PY
Samuel,

What costs are associated with the boat launch site? Also, are the people who own cottages on the lake considered residence. Given the significant amount of money they pay in taxes is it fair to charge them? Just curious.

A resident is pretty well defined. The term should be "permanent resident". A seasonal cottage owner, whose cottage is outside of the Village doesn't pay Village Tax. Milo, Jerusalem, or even Barrington gets their tax money, not the Village.

#1153823 --- 03/01/10 10:11 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: pystew]
Mean Gene Offline

Good point "Stew", For the previous poster who asked, the Village cannot charge anyone to launch their boat. It is all about a fee for parking their boat trailer at the site. Everyplace I go at the ocean or launch sites in Florida there are pay stations for people to pay to park their cars and or trailers. PY spends money to keep up the grounds. They certainly should recoup some income.

#1153855 --- 03/02/10 05:17 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
Ringold Offline

Good point "Stew", For the previous poster who asked, the Village cannot charge anyone to launch their boat. It is all about a fee for parking their boat trailer at the site. Everyplace I go at the ocean or launch sites in Florida there are pay stations for people to pay to park their cars and or trailers. PY spends money to keep up the grounds. They certainly should recoup some income.
OK, thanks Gene. I wasn't sure if it was a launch fee or what.

#1153861 --- 03/02/10 05:30 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
dummy2 Offline

How much does it cost to keep up a pot holed dirt parking lot? Let them launch. Besides, the piranhas county boat will give them a ticket before they ever get out of the mouth of the outlet. There's your cash cow.

#1153918 --- 03/02/10 08:32 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: dummy2]
Mean Gene Offline

There is a comfort station there, tennis courts and the outlet trail goes thru there. Maybe if the Village was getting some income they could afford to redo that parking lot. As far as the boat patrol, any income from that goes to the county, not the village. The Village should take it one step further and charge non-residents to park at Red jacket and Indian Pines park. They plow Indian Pines in the winter. That lot is usually full of ice fishermans cars.

#1153924 --- 03/02/10 08:42 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
dummy2 Offline

There is a comfort station there, tennis courts and the outlet trail goes thru there. Maybe if the Village was getting some income they could afford to redo that parking lot. As far as the boat patrol, any income from that goes to the county, not the village. The Village should take it one step further and charge non-residents to park at Red jacket and Indian Pines park. They plow Indian Pines in the winter. That lot is usually full of ice fishermans cars.

Yeah, I know the county gets the money. I was being a dummy. But what expense is there to the boat launch site the way it is now. They grade the parking lot and....that's about it. I suppose the village will vote as they wish, but why not WELCOME people to be in Penn Yan? They spend money while they are here. Just my thoughts.

#1153997 --- 03/02/10 11:18 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: dummy2]
lakekeuka28 Offline

Loc: NY
why not put coin slots on the slides and monkey bars too so we can get every last cent out of anyone that uses the public parks

#1154016 --- 03/02/10 11:46 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: lakekeuka28]
dummy2 Offline

Originally Posted By: lakekeuka28
why not put coin slots on the slides and monkey bars too so we can get every last cent out of anyone that uses the public parks

You know they can do that now. Just look at Kershaw Park in Canandaigua. Pretty soon they will plant some fast growing poplar trees to block the view, then charge people for a peek through the leaves.

#1154069 --- 03/02/10 02:06 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: dummy2]
C.I.Brown Offline

And while were at it, why don't we charge every snowmobile that uses the Outlet Trail. And if you really want to make money, charge every car that parks at the Little League Field for baseball, football and any other event.

#1154077 --- 03/02/10 02:34 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: C.I.Brown]
Samuel Offline

You'll never catch the snomobiles!!!

#1154225 --- 03/02/10 07:20 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: Mean Gene]
big guy 2 Offline

Loc: on the hill
Yeah real smart. Just drive everybody away. I think the non-residents pay enough in sales tax while they are hear. If it weren't for the Taj Mahal court house and village offices the county and village wouldn't be in the shape they are. Put the village employees on a 10 hr. 4 day workweek instead of the stupid 4.5 day workweek. That was one of the stupidest things this village has ever done. Where's the savings you still are running the vehicles for 5 days. Going from a Chevy Impala to a Dodge Durango for the police department that saved a lot in gas didn't it? There are a lot of savings that could be had if you look hard enough.

#1154245 --- 03/02/10 08:28 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: big guy 2]
Wayne Davidson Offline

One of the attribute of a good trustee is that they should deal in facts not fantasy.

Just about everyone I have talked to in this campaign wants to lower the village taxes and I want to lower the village taxes.

However, the reality is that making a significant cut in taxes is only possible by either expanding the tax base and thereby reducing the tax rate for the individual taxpayer or eliminating services. As many of you know, just about everybody has a favorite service that should be eliminated. The problem is that it is very difficult to get the majority of voters to agree on any one service to eliminate.

As of January 12, 2010, the 2009/2010 village budget for the village police department was approximately $1,163,000. This total is made up of police personal services, police department supplies and vehicle costs, health and workman’s comp insurance. Obviously, eliminating the police department would go far toward reducing taxes. However, should the village board even suggest that village police department be eliminated, more than likely, the majority of the village taxpayers would be against it.

The village budget for the fire department was approximately $386,000. This is made up of fire department supplies, equipment and vehicle maintenance and serial bond payments for trucks and the firehouse. Obviously you cannot even consider eliminating the fire department. That would leave the village without fire protection and without a village fire department and fire insurance rates would skyrocket.

The remainder of the budget is made up of mundane things like street maintenance, street lighting, village court, village clerk and staff, village attorney, village owned buildings, health & workman’s comp insurance for village employees, parks and playgrounds, cemetery and a few other small departments with minimal budgets. I do not see anything here that the majority of voters would be in favor of eliminating.

Consequently, the tax cuts that can be made by village trustees, without approval of the voters, would not result in a major reduction of village taxes. However, it is incumbent on the village trustees to eliminate wasteful spending and eliminating those items in the budget that are not absolutely necessary to efficiently run the village.

The mayor and village trustees can have a significant impact on expanding the tax base by enacting those policies and procedures that encourage economic development and forging partnerships with the county legislature and town boards to oversee development of not only Penn Yan, but also the rest of the county while minimizing the negative impacts of development.

If I am elected and you disagree with my assessment or have a suggestion that would reduce taxes let me know. I will listen, but I only listen to those who are willing to stand-up and state their name. Anonymous statements or complaints are not conducive to solving problems or exchanging ideas.

For those who wish to offer their recommendations or suggestions, my e-mail address is waynefdavidson@gmail.com.

#1154295 --- 03/02/10 09:42 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: big guy 2]
McLovin' Offline

Originally Posted By: big guy 2
Yeah real smart. Just drive everybody away. I think the non-residents pay enough in sales tax while they are hear. If it weren't for the Taj Mahal court house and village offices the county and village wouldn't be in the shape they are. Put the village employees on a 10 hr. 4 day workweek instead of the stupid 4.5 day workweek. That was one of the stupidest things this village has ever done. Where's the savings you still are running the vehicles for 5 days. Going from a Chevy Impala to a Dodge Durango for the police department that saved a lot in gas didn't it? There are a lot of savings that could be had if you look hard enough.

(A) It has been explained that the only people who will pay at the boat launch are non-residents who park their trailers. You make it sound like everyone who parks will have to pay. Summer renters use the boat launch site for a parking lot. They park their trailers there for a week.

(B) The Village does not get any sales tax---the County does--and they won't share it.

(C) I'm confused. Who works a 4.5 day workweek? I agree that a ten hour 4 day work week can be a viable option.

Wayne, Right On !!!!

Today I received my Milo's Assessment Notification---probably most people received theirs today, or will soon. It reminded me that my County Tax was less than half of my Village Tax! Less than 1/2.

My assessment remained the same.

I realize that there are big problems with the PY School Budget. There will probably be a large numbers of staff cuts. The school's budget is voted on by the residents. The Village's budget does not need to be approved by the voters. I am realistic enough not to expect lower village taxes, but since my assessment didn't increase, if the village tax rate doesn't increase, my village tax won't increase. Let's hope the Trustees realize this.

#1154298 --- 03/02/10 09:50 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: McLovin']
big guy 2 Offline

Loc: on the hill
Remember last summer when somebody proposed a 4 day work week but the village street super said they would make to much noise early in the morning so they decided to work 4.5 days a week. No cost savings because you are using the vehicles for 5 days instead of 4 plus all the other costs for 5 days instead of 4. Four ten hour days is a lot more efficient.

#1154304 --- 03/02/10 10:23 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: big guy 2]
McLovin' Offline

So the Street Crew works 36 hours a week? Is it Friday they are only working 4 hours? Are you sure? That would save the Village money! Is it only the street crew, or do the other crews work 36 hours a week?

#1154306 --- 03/02/10 10:26 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: McLovin']
lakekeuka28 Offline

Loc: NY
nope they work 40 hours a week

#1154417 --- 03/03/10 08:10 AM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate [Re: big guy 2]
pystew Offline

Originally Posted By: big guy 2
Remember last summer when somebody proposed a 4 day work week but the village street super said they would make to much noise early in the morning so they decided to work 4.5 days a week. No cost savings because you are using the vehicles for 5 days instead of 4 plus all the other costs for 5 days instead of 4. Four ten hour days is a lot more efficient.

As I remember it, a couple of years ago, Street Supervisor Randy Jensen brought up that it was difficult to work on street projects Friday afternoons in the summer time because of the traffic in the village, and proposed different possibilities of summer hours (I believe the County Crews,and Milo Highway crew, have different hours in the summer.) To have a change, the CSEA (Union) has to agree, but they didn't.

Presently the Water Treatment Plant crew works four 10 hour days. The water crew has four members. Two members work Monday-Thursday, the other two work Thursday-Sunday. Yes, both crews work on Thursday. Meetings and Projects that need all four members are scheduled for Thursdays. This started last summer, and we have seen a reduction in overtime.

I believe the rest of the crews work five 8 hour days.

Edited by pystew (03/03/10 12:08 PM)

#1318469 --- 01/16/12 07:08 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate? [Re: McLovin']
j3668py Offline

Loc: new york
Originally Posted By: McLovin'

Don't be a good ole boy, do what's right.

#1318626 --- 01/17/12 02:50 PM Re: Qualities of a good Village Trustee Candidate? [Re: j3668py]
Denver Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
So are you going to running for that office?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >