FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1199375 --- 07/14/10 06:04 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Forgot to mention that I switched to the Super O . . . love, love, love it!

FingerLakes1.com
#1199383 --- 07/14/10 06:16 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
I must say you're brave. The Super O just turned me off completely...WAYYYYYYYYY too much glitter. That stuff just doesn't look right on an actual woman (as opposed to a girl) over 30.

#1199390 --- 07/14/10 06:32 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: HeavenlyPlaces
I must say you're brave. The Super O just turned me off completely...WAYYYYYYYYY too much glitter. That stuff just doesn't look right on an actual woman (as opposed to a girl) over 30.

Now, HP, play nice please. lol I am well over 30, not that brave (when it comes to makeup), and I AM a "actual" woman. I am young at heart, blessed with good skin, and (am told) look younger then my real age. I think the trick, with O or Super O, is a very light touch for the more mature gals.

#1199462 --- 07/14/10 01:34 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Ghosts Offline

Okay, you got me worried that my Super O blush may not be appropriate for this older gal. Although my mirror is 10x power. . . .mostly used to search and destroy stray chin hairs. Ewwww . . . too much info?

Since I was going to be out and about running errands today and visiting friends, I decided to do my own unofficial survey. In order to get an honest answer (friends don't want to hurt friends' feelings), I told a little fib. I said that I was trying out a new product and had some concerns that my blush had too much sparkle for a woman of my age. I also asked the question of a couple of female cashiers - one looked to be 20 something and another maybe close to my age. Everyone (albeit a small sampling) said they didn't see any sparkles at all. All questions were asked under various interior lighting situations. Didn't run into anyone that I felt comfortable asking while I was outside. Bright sunshine may have yielded different results.

I know that sounds strange as O and Super O obviously has some element of sparkle when you open the case. I think that it's really concentrated in the case, but is a quality product with everything finely milled. Granted, it will not be for everyone and, IMO, not just for the young. This real and mature woman feels comfortable wearing it. Again, I apply it with a very light touch.

Got a promotional email from Sephora today . . . Subject: "Beauty Lust-Haves." Gonna definitely check it out.

#1199514 --- 07/14/10 07:15 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

My intention wasn't to be insulting. I'm sorry if my post seemed that way. If the "sparkles" aren't readily apparent under light, well then you're probably fine! I guess that I really was speaking for me. It's just that certain types of makeup and clothing, even if they CAN be worn by someone over 30, just shouldn't be. There are plenty who disagree with me but we're all allowed an opinion.

#1199630 --- 07/15/10 09:20 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Ghosts Offline

It's just that certain types of makeup and clothing, even if they CAN be worn by someone over 30, just shouldn't be. There are plenty who disagree with me but we're all allowed an opinion.

No insult taken. And, I agree with you. I gave up my skin tight jeans, mini skirts, Daisy Dukes, and nose ring many years ago! lol

#1199832 --- 07/15/10 10:23 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I found them both too sparkley, but I'm MUCH more tan than I was six months ago so it might be different.

I bought some beautiful NARS lipstick & lipliner. I read some ppl find NARS drying but so far, so good.

The Laura Mercier lipgloss I cannot say enough about. It's DELICIOUS.

#1199872 --- 07/16/10 05:12 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

I haven't tried the Laura Mercier lipgloss...mostly I don't really love anything on my lips (well, except for kisses) because it can feel heavy and makes me think about something being on my mouth...strange I know. That having been said, I do like the Dior glosses. Not too heavy and the colors are luscious.

#1199897 --- 07/16/10 07:33 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: past tense

I bought some beautiful NARS lipstick & lipliner. I read some ppl find NARS drying but so far, so good.

I love the NARS lipsticks & liners. I switch between NARS and Bare Escentials lipsticks. NARS stays on longer then BE on me. I only use a dab of BE gloss for "effect" when it's dress-up time . . . rare for my lifestyle.

#1200829 --- 07/19/10 01:47 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I haven't tried any BE lip products yet, but I wouldn't hesitate after trying the mascaras from Buxom. I like to take the regular BE face colors (I like "True" and "Glee") and mix them with some clear gloss. Alone or over lipstick - good for a quick fix, used it on my wedding day.

#1202906 --- 07/26/10 07:35 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I can't believe I forgot to post about this! Sephora carries a line of men's products, "Jack Black". They make a Lemon & Chammomile lip balm that you MUST buy next time you're in the store. They make one in mint but I haven't tried it. And of course, since they are men's products, they are half of what women's would cost. $7 for the lip balm and it's worth every single PENNY. It's got a great scent but absolutely no taste/flavor.

Gel formula, angled applicator, squeeze tube. I won't use any other lip balm now. Oh, and SPF 25 (a must for me now).

#1202966 --- 07/27/10 05:06 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out next time I'm in Sephora. On a VERY tragic note...I think I left my new Nars blush on the Cape this weekend I can't believe I did that!

#1203010 --- 07/27/10 08:27 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

OUCH!

#1203024 --- 07/27/10 08:50 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

What color? I have the Key Largo eye duo and I really like it.

#1203098 --- 07/27/10 03:38 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

I ended up with "Deep Throat" Great color on me! I also just bought Make Up Forever Aqua Cream #16...you can use it on lips/cheeks/eyes, though I bought it just for my eyes. It's a great color. There are others...some way too bright for me (and in colors I can't ever imagine me using on eyes but maybe lips and cheeks). What I love about it is that when you put it on it stays on...without creasing...until you remove it. Fantastic stuff!

#1203226 --- 07/28/10 04:20 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

YAY!!! I found my Nars blush All is right with the world! ;\)

#1203293 --- 07/28/10 08:33 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

What a relief!

#1203331 --- 07/28/10 09:42 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

<chuckle>

#1206021 --- 08/06/10 09:01 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
i'm more than thrilled that i found the Merle Norman studio in Victor. everyone on here talked about mineral makeup - so i tried several brands, always ended up with Merle Norman...now it comes in a compact!! OMG i LOVE IT!!

#1206141 --- 08/07/10 05:53 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Where's the love]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Glad you found them WTL...you have to use what works for YOU. \:\)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >