FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1155263 --- 03/05/10 06:27 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Della]
Where's the love Offline

Loc: Tahiti - I can dream...
my fine line secret is so simple - and proven worthy. Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. I apply it under and to the sides of my eyes before I go to bed. (I used to use it just to remove make up). 44 yrs old and no lines. NONE. I met a lady years ago - she was in her 60's and she also didn't have any lines and she told me about this. So I started doing it probably 16 yrs ago.
I also love Shiseido skin care. Huge Merle Norman Fan (Charming Sisters in Victor). Latest find is TIPS (QVC) for growing my what used to be weak nails. I now have polishable real nails. (I've worn acrylic most of my adult life!)

FingerLakes1.com
#1155265 --- 03/05/10 06:30 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Where's the love]
Where's the love Offline

DermaTechnologies no longer sells Merle Norman. \:\(

#1155463 --- 03/05/10 01:55 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Where's the love]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Someplace Else
Try the Jane Iredale. I love her products.

#1155663 --- 03/05/10 09:01 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
Where's the love Offline

i work in a friendly - guests come first environment...I hate walking into DERMATECHNOLIGIES because if you are a "walk-in" you feel like an alien with 2 heads with the audacity of invading their space. I hate that feeling.

#1155726 --- 03/06/10 04:31 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Where's the love]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

I guess I've never felt that but it's been a while since I've been there because I no longer live in the area.

#1156217 --- 03/07/10 07:40 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
I've wondered about TIPS all of these years. Interesting.

#1156313 --- 03/07/10 11:18 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
Where's the love Offline

i read the pros and cons - I tried it anyways (ya know because spending $35 on nail crap is "in" these days)...but it worked for me...so far anyways. It's just not FAST enough...kind of like diet pills...no overnight cure.

#1156556 --- 03/07/10 08:57 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Where's the love]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

WTL what more can you tell me about TIPS? I have HORRIBLE nails and would love to know of a product that would help them grow.

#1156635 --- 03/08/10 05:28 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Della]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: Della
I gotta tell you Ghosts thanks for the heads up on the Lacura at Aldis. I ran out of toner and rather than drive any distance I figured I'd give it a whirl. I got the Hydrating toner for sensitive skin and am really impressed so far. I NEVER would have tried it if you hadn't mentioned it.

It's so nice and cheap too! I really do love the skin care products. Around some of the holidays, they come out with a body creme in a huge red jar. It is the best too. I don't know why they don't carry it year round. Also, it seems that the Audi's in Auburn carries more of the line.

#1156638 --- 03/08/10 05:33 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
Della Offline
Gold Member

So far I'm still really pleased with the cleanser and toner. Speaking of cheap I LOVE Avon's eye makeup remover. I wear waterproof everything and this takes it all off without feeling oily at all. I can usually get it on special for .99.

#1156641 --- 03/08/10 05:39 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Where's the love]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Where's the love
Latest find is TIPS (QVC) for growing my what used to be weak nails. I now have polishable real nails. (I've worn acrylic most of my adult life!)

I'll have to check them out if my latest product doesn't work.

My nails were really damaged and weakened when I had some acylic ones removed. I am in the process of trying to bring them back to health. About a month ago, I started using QVC's Pink Gel Coat. My nails were so roughened up that I won't know if it will work until the damaged part grows out. I'll report back later.

#1156645 --- 03/08/10 05:57 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Took me a good year to grow out the damage done by acrylics. \:\(

#1156651 --- 03/08/10 06:21 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Della]
Where's the love Offline

Me too, I've been over a year growing out the damage from acrylic nails. Heard about TIPS, thought I'd try it and it has worked. Also, I was using Sally Hanson in a gold bottle. That worked well also. I ordered TIPS from the QVC website. once you get nails, use it on both sides. (my bragging rights are over - I broke 3 nails yesterday.) \:\( Starting all over again.

#1156656 --- 03/08/10 06:34 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Della]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Della
Took me a good year to grow out the damage done by acrylics. \:\(

Wow . . . I hope it doesn't take that long! I had the acrylics put on for a special occasion and only wore them for about a month. Although they looked georgous, I don't know if I would ever do it again seeing the damage to my natural nails. Now, if I could have afford to keep up the acrylics . . . that's another story.

#1156824 --- 03/08/10 03:07 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
HeavenlyPlaces Offline
Diamond Member

My damage was done by the so-called problem free gels...problem free my hind quarters! All I needed was one...ONE nail to be repaired for an event...she put the gel on it...then suggested that it go on the others...said it made the nail stronger...well, poop on that! My nails just haven't survived it and after using this nail tech for 5 years I will never step foot in her establishment again. She KNEW what a problem my nails are...she just ignored my repeatedly stated wishes on that area (and admittedly I allowed her to because I thought she knew what she was talking about!) I'll try the TIPS.

And, er, thanks for the tip. ;\)

#1157437 --- 03/10/10 07:10 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: HeavenlyPlaces]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

So after a couple of weeks (of using the Boots No. 7 serum) I notice that my skin looks great. No major fine-line improvement but an overall even look and smoothness. I still love the way it makes my makeup go on (it is primer like but sinks into skin so it's not quite the same). It is getting VERY humid in Houston though so I am going to need to add primer soon (I skip it sometimes just to let my face breathe).

Also testing: Cargo Lash Activator Mascara, Tarte Lash Stain, Smashbox DNA mascara. I'll keep you posted. I'm still in love with the BE Buxom.

#1157506 --- 03/10/10 09:51 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
pepper Offline

Loc: Desperately Seeking Salt
curious..what is the purpose of the primer especially during the humid season? does it help prevent shine?

#1157524 --- 03/10/10 10:08 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: pepper]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Primer just sort of "primes" the skin to give better coverage and to make the foundation "stick" I guess. I like Smashbox and Laura Geller, but there are a million of them out there and I think drugstore lines are starting to develop their own primers. Primers tend to be on the expensive side but you don't need much and they last awhile. If you are going to buy one do some online research first and maybe try sample sizes at Sephora if you can. I don't find that my primer prevents shine - I still need blotting papers and/or powder. I don't always find primer to be a necessary step (I forgot it on my wedding day, for example, but I don't think my makeup suffered) so I only use it occasionally. Now that I live somewhere with a super hot/humid summer I'm interested to see how crucial a step it becomes.

#1162476 --- 03/22/10 08:44 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

As to the original product in this thread - Boots No. 7 Perfect/Protect Serum - it's going to be a staple. If I stop using it I notice a difference almost immediately in my skin. I like the texture of the product and of my skin after I use it. I have about 2/3 of the bottle left so it's definitely long-lasting, however I am interested to see how extracting the last of the product goes as it is a pump in a glass bottle which usually means I don't get to access a lot of leftover product (annoying).

My next project: sunscreen products. Regular sunscreens are thick and they smell but I need to wear them all year round basically. I like my Cetaphil for my face but same problem - texture is yucky and I have to wait a long time to put makeup on after I use it. My cousin suggested a natural sunscreen line she's been using from Wegmans but it sounds pricey! I might need to spring for it though.

Who is using what for sunscreen?

#1197933 --- 07/08/10 12:03 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Great new (to me, not sure if it's "new") OPI for Sephora purchase: Nonfat Soy Half Caff. Super-neutral, work appropriate, summery. Kind of a warm peachy color that I can see might not work on everyone. Give it a look next time you're in Sephora. $9.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >