FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1150510 --- 02/22/10 07:00 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Della]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Houston, TX
That's why I love those beauty blogs. Nothing works for everyone but you can see what people really hate and really love! BE isn't for everyone but it's perfect for me - I want hypoallergenic and sheer coverage. I have yet to find a liquid foundation I'm talented enough to apply. I do like Neutrogena's tinted moisturizer but they ironically require additional moisturizer to apply well.

FingerLakes1.com
#1150518 --- 02/22/10 08:12 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Della]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: Della
It's so much nicer to try things others have recommended. That said I HATED Bare Essentials!

True . . . BE may not be for everyone. To be honest with you, I first tried BE many years ago and didn’t care that much for it. After hearing all the positive hype and getting some tips from BE friends, I decided to give it another shot. What I do different now, that made a huge difference, is to wait for my moisturizer and/or primer to absorb completely into my skin before applying BE. I think the prep steps and application technique is the key to the results. I often get compliments on my skin and I am no spring chicken. My skin has never looked better.

#1150522 --- 02/22/10 08:25 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: past tense
I do like Neutrogena's tinted moisturizer but they ironically require additional moisturizer to apply well.

On those days that I am just hanging out at home without makeup or in a big hurry to get somewhere and don’t have time to go through the whole skin care and makeup routine, I love the Dr. Denese tinted moisturizer. I justify the costs because I don’t use it often and a jar lasts me a very long time. I also save costs by buying it at the on-line auction site.

From QVC: “Why is it different: The day cream is specially formulated with an innovative, natural melanin tint that self-adjusts to all skin types to cleverly disguise imperfections. The targeted formulas deliver SPF 30 UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection to guard the face against future lines and wrinkles.”

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view....Day-Cream-20-oz

#1150559 --- 02/22/10 09:43 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I haven't tried it since I started using the Boots serum - I think that should improve the results since I don't have those dry patches - oh, and it's ridiculously humid here most of the time, that also helps. My skin has seen an overall improvement since moving out of AK as the air there is so dry, and you are starved of sunlight for so much of the year it just wrecks it. I use sunscreen, I'm not a sun worshipper, but exposure to normal amounts of sunlight is good for the skin - I lived it!

I've heard great things about that Dr. Denese line.

#1150568 --- 02/22/10 10:00 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
Ghosts Offline

I've heard great things about that Dr. Denese line.

I loved all of her skin care products, but my budget didn't. \:\(

#1150601 --- 02/22/10 11:48 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
LOL, I just came home from work and spotted my bathroom counter with a whole "plop" and a dusting of BE, that I hadn't noticed this morning when I was bleary eyed getting ready to walk out door. I always have a mess. Haven't seen any new containers.
Ghost, what auction place are you talking about?

#1150604 --- 02/22/10 11:52 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: sassyone]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Those blogs are great!! Thanks PT!

#1150646 --- 02/22/10 02:30 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: sassyone]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: sassyone
Ghost, what auction place are you talking about?

Great savings on Ebay! If you aren't in a big hurry, you can sometimes get even greater savings on the Auction style listings. I usually wait until I really need something, so I almost always find a "Buy It Now" deal. I have never been disappointed. Just make certain it’s a reputable seller.

#1150647 --- 02/22/10 02:30 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
Yetta Nother Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sunny and warm
Originally Posted By: Ghosts
I can't live w/o my BE. Did you know Zotos just bought the company?

Say it ain't so, Leslie! No, I hadn't heard that.

In years past, Shiseido was one of those great skin care lines and makeup that I gave up. Too expensive for this small town, low budget gal. But of all the makeup that I have ever tried . . . and we're talking a whole lot . . . BE is absolutely THE BEST!

Thanks for sharing the links.

I love Shiseido makeup....my mother has been wearing Clinique for years and her skin looks fabulous. She is 62 and doesn't look a day over 50. She swears by it. My daughter uses Clinique as well...but she's still young so.....I think gramdma sends her stuff.....lol.

#1150651 --- 02/22/10 02:38 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: sassyone]
Ghosts Offline

I always have a mess. Haven't seen any new containers.

I think that they are only using the new containers for the foundation. BTW . . . I really like the new “matte” foundation that I use in combo with the new “hydrating” mineral veil. I saved one of the new style containers, from an empty foundation, and put my mineral veil into it. What an improvement. I hope that all the products are eventually offered with the less messy containers. I still get the “dust” from the “swirl & tap”, but I haven’t spilled anything lately . . . and that is a huge plus!

#1150658 --- 02/22/10 02:59 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
Thanks. I am going to have to get some more BE, because I ran it out when I got some of the Avon Minerals. I can continue using the Avon until I can find some of it on EBay. I guess I didn't realize that even BE is sold on EB.

#1150661 --- 02/22/10 03:16 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: sassyone]
Ghosts Offline

I guess I didn't realize that even BE is sold on EB.

Just about everything is sold on Ebay! I've even purchased furniture on there. The first place I check when I "need" something. lol

#1153017 --- 02/28/10 07:46 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

You can get a lot of vintage perfumes on eBay, too I think.

I went to the Rice Village Sephora yesterday as I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. I got Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I'd been using Smashbox Eye Primer but the packaging stinks - a wand is so unsanitary and so much product is left in the tube it's annoying, esp. for a $19 product. I went to TFSI b/c it comes in a squeeze tube - I used a sample of it once and liked it so we'll see how it goes. I hear great things about the Urban Decay Primer but it's got such a cult following it makes me not want to use it. LOL

I also got Buxom mascara b/c that Non-Blonde blog I read recommended it - she seems like a tough customer, only uses very high-end products, so when she recommends I jump (it's how I found the Boots No. 7, too).

Then I picked up a Rosebud Salve (petroleum based - the horror! - but so effective) and an OPI polish (BYOBoy) which is a nice medium dusty pink. Needed something more professional than Chanel Vamp for client meetings. LOL

#1153100 --- 02/28/10 10:51 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Buxom - AWESOME. Worth every one of the $18. Not ready to say better than DiorShow but I really, really like it. Will see how it wears today.

#1153226 --- 02/28/10 04:32 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
Ghosts Offline

Buxom - AWESOME. Worth every one of the $18. Not ready to say better than DiorShow but I really, really like it. Will see how it wears today.

Haven't tried the Buxom mascara, but I do love the Buxom lip gloss (being a "mature" gal, I just use a tiny dab on lower lip). I tried the new BareMinerals Flawless Definition mascara. That's the one that has a really nice brush, but didn't do much for my fine lashes.

Speaking of Sephora, I just ordered and tried the NARS "Super Orgasm" (Can I write that on here?) blush . . . and love it! The color looks very natural . . . peachy pink.

#1153240 --- 02/28/10 04:54 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ghosts]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

I'm torn on Orgasm - I can't decide if I like it. I continue to sample it though so I think it's a possibility. The Super O is really pretty - they both are - I just feel like I have an undertone that isn't working. Of course, I haven't tried it in awhile and not since I got some color back after AK.

I won't hesitate to try more Buxom products going forward. I love the TFSI too - all day, working out, walking around, trip to the museum, cleaning - no creasing w/ my Dior shadow (that doesn't crease much anyway, but still)

#1153397 --- 02/28/10 08:33 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: past tense]
Rick-the-Builder Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Finger Lakes USA
I'm torn on Orgasm - I can't decide if I like it. I continue to sample it though so I think it's a possibility. The Super O is really pretty - they both are - I just feel like I have an undertone that isn't working. Of course, I haven't tried it in awhile and not since I got some color back after AK.

I won't hesitate to try more Buxom products going forward. I love the TFSI too - all day, working out, walking around, trip to the museum, cleaning - no creasing w/ my Dior shadow (that doesn't crease much anyway, but still)

If you only read this post out of context without reading the previous it reads pretty shocking!

#1153438 --- 02/28/10 11:08 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Rick-the-Builder]
past tense Offline
Diamond Member

Yeah -- makeup names do cause a lot of confusion. When I say "wearing Dark Room" or "Blackout" it's not always obvious I mean "nail polish" and "mascara". Cosmetics companies have a strange sense of humor.

#1153752 --- 03/01/10 06:18 PM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: sassyone]
Ditchwitch Offline

Loc: Muddy,Swampy Places in the Fin...
Is Target the only place they sell this? Since we don't have a Target in Seneca County?

use Amazon.com, put this in:
Boots #7 Protect & Perfect Intense Beauty Serum .They drop-ship from Target.

#1155223 --- 03/05/10 02:03 AM Re: Best $20 I've Spent in 6 Months [Re: Ditchwitch]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I gotta tell you Ghosts thanks for the heads up on the Lacura at Aldis. I ran out of toner and rather than drive any distance I figured I'd give it a whirl. I got the Hydrating toner for sensitive skin and am really impressed so far. I NEVER would have tried it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >