FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1138791 --- 01/27/10 02:35 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: kyle585]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Ahhh - the Ag vote - good observation

FingerLakes1.com
#1138799 --- 01/27/10 02:48 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
Ahhh - the Ag vote - good observation
How to get themselves re-elected and continue to feed off the public trough is their main goal in whatever they do.

#1138803 --- 01/27/10 02:53 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: kyle585]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Google -- Nozzolio Farm -- if you want to validate

#1138806 --- 01/27/10 02:57 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
flbuldog Offline

Loc: USA
Heres the VIDEO.. so we can see how its done

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/dairy/

My grandfather had a dairy farm.. it didn't look like that.

#1138808 --- 01/27/10 02:58 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: flbuldog]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

I can't watch --- sorry

#1138810 --- 01/27/10 03:03 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
flbuldog Offline

Loc: USA
I watched.. they have a good case. I hope Auburn SPCA and or the DA pursues it.

#1138825 --- 01/27/10 03:22 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: flbuldog]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: flbuldog
Heres the VIDEO.. so we can see how its done

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/dairy/

My grandfather had a dairy farm.. it didn't look like that.

Comments witih the video:

Far from leading the carefree lives portrayed in the dairy industry's "happy cow" commercials, the vast majority of cows used for dairy production today lead lives of deprivation, confinement, painful mutilations and cruel handling. These curious and intelligent animals are denied access to open pasture and treated as mere milk-producing machines - forced to live on manure-coated concrete floors in overcrowded sheds.

A new Mercy For Animals investigation is pulling back the curtains on the largest dairy factory farm in New York State Willet Dairy in Locke. In early 2009 an MFA undercover investigator worked at the mega-dairy, secretly documenting egregious acts of animal cruelty, including neglect, with a hidden camera.

Evidence gathered during the investigation reveals:

Cows with bloody open wounds, prolapsed uteruses, pus-filled infections, and swollen joints, apparently left to suffer without veterinary care

"Downed" cows those too sick or injured to even stand left to suffer for weeks before dying or being killed

Workers hitting, kicking, punching, and electric-shocking cows and calves

Calves having their horns burned off without painkillers, as a worker shoved his fingers into the calves' eyes to restrain them

Calves having their tails cut off - a painful practice opposed by the American Veterinary Medical Association

Newborn calves forcibly dragged away from their mothers by their legs, causing emotional distress to both mother and calf

Cows living in overcrowded sheds on manure-coated concrete flooring

Workers injecting cows with a controversial bovine growth hormone, used to increase milk production

In a joint statement, internationally renowned experts, including Dr. Bernard Rollin, an expert witness on animal welfare issues in the U.S. and abroad, and Dr. Temple Grandin, a world-renowned cattle welfare expert and advisor to the USDA, compared the conditions documented at Willet to the infamous Hallmark slaughterhouse, where undercover video exposing abuse of downed cows resulted in the largest beef recall in US history. They state, "This dairy presents at least as bad a picture of the industry as does Hallmark."

New York veterinarian, Dr. Holly Cheever, bluntly stated, "[I]t is my professional opinion that the environment that this dairy provides as well as its cattle-handling techniques are improper, unhygienic, dangerous, and inhumane."

Despite the overwhelming evidence that the dairy operation repeatedly violated New York's animal cruelty laws, which was meticulously compiled by Mercy For Animals and presented to the Cayuga County District Attorney, the law enforcement agency refuses to uphold the state's laws to protect animals - allowing abuse to continue at Willet, unchecked.

Sadly, the inhumane conditions uncovered at this factory farm are not isolated. Whether raised for meat, dairy or eggs, animals used in food production are frequently subjected to appalling confinement, mutilations, brutal handling and slaughter. Because agribusiness values profit over ethical principles, cruelty to animals continues to run rampant on factory farms.

Thankfully, compassionate consumers can choose to withdraw their support of these abusive industries by adopting a vegan diet. Each time we eat we can choose kindness over cruelty.

#1138894 --- 01/27/10 04:37 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: kyle585]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

I watched. I am sickened. I hope these people are arrested.

To the one that brags about beating the cows and fears he will have arthritis in his hand, I hope he loses full use of it. Cracking a cow over the head with a wrench. I hope they have enough tape on him to put him away.

#1138908 --- 01/27/10 05:09 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Animal Lover Offline

Loc: NY
What goes on at the Sampson Dog Show that is abusive. Please back your statement up.

Lusi, what in the heck are you talking about? Your reply was addressed to me and I want to be sure that you and others understand I said no such thing about abuse at Sampson Dog Show.

Greymane posted:

Quote:
Animal Lover, the problem is, I could take a camera to the annual dog show at Sampson and make a video that would have you sick to your stomach. It is all in the edit.

I replied to him that I have never seen anything abusive at the Sampson Dog Show when I attended. I did say that I find some practices by breeders such as tail docking, ear cropping or cutting nails short so the feet don't splay to be abusive. But I've not witnessed it being done and especially not at a dog show.

What this dairy farm has done cannot compare to anything that "might" go on at a dog show, edited video or what have you. Greymane was just blowing smoke trying to cover for his dairy farm friends.

#1138926 --- 01/27/10 05:59 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Animal Lover]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

I just posted next AL, not specifically to you. It WAS what Greymane wrote - you are correct.

#1139011 --- 01/27/10 09:56 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
sickofjerks Offline

Loc: new york
Having seen the cows at a slaughter house 35 years ago made me give up meat and become a vegetarian. I don't try to inject my beliefs onto others, but I do think anyone who abuses an animal should be treated as a criminal. Animals were not put on earth for use to hit, kick, deform, or torture. I believe any one who can treat miss-treat an animal can also do the same with a human. Just because you are going to slaughter the animal for food, does not make it right to put that being through cruelty beforehand. Hunters at least are killing an animal in a more natural environment. Animals have the same feeling for pain and loss as humans. They grieve, cry, and have contentment in their lives. Let's try to show compassion.

#1139017 --- 01/27/10 10:14 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: sickofjerks]
queenbee Offline

Loc: soul quest
Aren't the cows tails their only defense against flies and bugs??? I say put these taildocking farmers in a room naked with thousands of flies and bugs and tie them spreadeagle so they can not shoosh the bugs away. Let's see how they like not being able to fend off insects from nasal passages, eyes, ears and any other orifice the bug may wander into too. Is it legal to picket a farm such as this for cruelty?? I'll be first in line, lousy sob's.

#1139111 --- 01/28/10 06:23 AM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: queenbee]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Click to see new video:

Other farmers across the state are now reacting to the images that are being strewn across television sets and the internet. As our Katie Gibas tells us, farmers say they're shocked by the accusations and hope it doesn't have an impact on the industry. We want to warn you that this story features some graphic video.

http://news10now.com/cny-news-1013-content/top_stories/?ArID=494431

JEFFERSON COUNTY, N.Y. -- Farmers are shocked, disturbed and outraged by undercover video filmed at Willet Farms in Cayuga County, so much so that they're questioning the validity of the video's location.

"It's always been one of the top run dairies, highly represented around the industry and the state and I'm shocked that that video purportedly was shot at their dairy," said Ron Kuck, a dairy livestock educator.

Tail-docking and de-horning are common practices on farms to ensure both worker and cattle safety.

"The employee has to be behind the cow a lot and when they're milking and if that cow switches their tail, if they get hit in the eyeball, it could put your eye out," said farmer Nancy Robbins.

"I got nailed by a cow with horns and it's not fun. Luckily it didn't draw blood," said Jay Matteson, Jefferson County Agricultural Coordinator.

According to farmers we spoke with, both practices are usually done in a much less painful manner and using anesthetics. They say it is in their best interest to perform these practices humanely.

"A cow is going to make milk according to her comfort. Now if that cow is uncomfortable having her tail docked, for several days, they're going to lose that milk production from the cow," said Robbins.

And farmers are outraged by how the video portrays them.

"It's a misrepresentation of everything I've worked for, Mrs. Robbins has worked for, every dairy farm in this state and country have done. That kind of stuff is never done on a dairy farm," said Kuck.

As for proposed legislation to ban tail docking, farmers have mixed opinions about it. At this point, their main concern is how the industry's image will be affected by this.

#1139112 --- 01/28/10 06:24 AM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: queenbee]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: queenbee
Is it legal to picket a farm such as this for cruelty?? I'll be first in line, lousy sob's.
Of course it is legal to picket any business. Go for it.

#1139146 --- 01/28/10 08:07 AM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: kyle585]
alummule Offline

Loc: yes

#1139268 --- 01/28/10 11:54 AM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
What goes on at the Sampson Dog Show that is abusive. Please back your statement up.

I never said there was anything abusive. I am saying that a video can be made to support any point of view even if the events shown are purely innocent. It is all about context.

#1139275 --- 01/28/10 11:57 AM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Greymane]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

You need to watch the Willet Farm Documentary Video.

I doubt any puppies are being dragged by their feet away from their crying mothers at Sampson.

#1139279 --- 01/28/10 12:00 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Greymane]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Greymane

I never said there was anything abusive. I am saying that a video can be made to support any point of view even if the events shown are purely innocent. It is all about context.

the problem is, I could take a camera to the annual dog show at Sampson and make a video that would have you sick to your stomach. It is all in the edit.

Baloney. You have changed your tune completely since yesterday.

Edited by kyle585 (01/28/10 12:10 PM)

#1139287 --- 01/28/10 12:12 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: past tense]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Originally Posted By: past tense
More importantly, why is some politician from Manhattan (who probably wouldn't know a cow if it ran over her) introducing legislation regarding farm animals? (Answer: publicity)

Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal has a history of animal rights support.

One doesn't have to grow up with a lawn to love ALL animals.

Oh, and she went to U of R. Does living upstate, even briefly, qualify her to care about farm animals? Or should she stick to apartment-sized animals?

http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=067&sh=bio

She can love animals until the cows come home (sorry for the pun). I just don't think that politicians should be PROPOSING LAW about things that they are not well versed. I love elephants, but I certainly wouldn't propose making a law regarding their care as I have never cared for an elephant.

I don't support nor oppose this farm. I don't know what really happens there. Nor do you. As long as I am eating my steaks and not driving to the farm to see what is actually happening, I figure I don't have a lot of say in it. When I eat my venison, I know how it died (and how it lived, since I watch them year round).

I have enough land that I could raise my own beef if I chose. I choose not to, so I relinquish SOME control over how they are raised. That is why we have laws (hopefully written and enforced by people who understand their purpose). I know it is a bit of a ramble, but does that make sense?

I don't oppose protecting animals. I worry about people piling on based on one person's perspective. Did you ever condsider that this person could have paid another worker to harm an animal? Of course, the media would NEVER create a story. And, as I said, I don't know one way or the other, but if you REALLY cared, you would drive out to the farm tonight to find out. Is that your car I hear warming up??

(I stand by to be soundly word-whipped.)

#1139291 --- 01/28/10 12:19 PM Re: Dairy Farm in Cayuga targeted by animal rights [Re: Greymane]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

I don't oppose protecting animals. I worry about people piling on based on one person's perspective. Did you ever condsider that this person could have paid another worker to harm an animal? Of course, the media would NEVER create a story. And, as I said, I don't know one way or the other, but if you REALLY cared, you would drive out to the farm tonight to find out. Is that your car I hear warming up??

(I stand by to be soundly word-whipped.)

Are you serious? Do you think they would let any stranger onto their farm under the current situation? LOL

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >