FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1137893 --- 01/26/10 05:50 AM " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81
RedGreen Offline

Loc: Charlotte
I used to watch Bonanza all the time. R.I.P

LOS ANGELES (AP) Pernell Roberts, the ruggedly handsome actor who shocked Hollywood by leaving TV's "Bonanza" at the height of its popularity, then found fame again years later on "Trapper John, M.D.," has died. He was 81.

Roberts, the last surviving member of the classic Western's cast, died of cancer Sunday at his Malibu home, his wife Eleanor Criswell told the Los Angeles Times.

Although he rocketed to fame in 1959 as Adam Cartwright, eldest son of a Nevada ranching family led by Lorne Greene's patriarchal Ben Cartwright, Roberts chafed at the limitations he felt his "Bonanza" character was given.

"They told me the four characters (Greene, himself and Dan Blocker and Michael Landon as his brothers) would be carefully defined and the scripts carefully prepared," he complained to The Associated Press in 1964. "None of it ever happened."

It particularly distressed him that his character, a man in his 30s, had to continually defer to the wishes of his widowed father.

"Doesn't it seem a bit silly for three adult males to get Father's permission for everything they do?" he once asked a reporter.

Roberts agreed to fulfill his six-year contract but refused to extend it, and when he left the series in 1965, his character was eliminated with the explanation that he had simply moved away.

"Bonanza," with its three remaining stars, continued until 1973, making it second to "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running Western on TV. Blocker died in 1972, Greene in 1987, and Landon in 1991.

When Roberts left the show the general feeling in Hollywood was that he had foolishly doomed his career and turned his back on a fortune in "Bonanza" earnings.

Indeed, for the next 14 years he mainly made appearances on TV shows and in miniseries, or toured with such theatrical productions as "The King and I, "Camelot" and "The Music Man."

His TV credits during that time included "The Virginian," ''Hawaii Five-O," ''Mission Impossible," ''Marcus Welby, M.D.," ''Banacek," ''Ironside" and "Mannix."

Then, in 1979, he landed another series, "Trapper John, M.D.," in which he played the title role.

The character, but little else, was spun off from the brilliant Korean War comedy-drama "M-A-S-H," in which Wayne Rogers had played the offbeat Dr. "Trapper" John McIntire opposite Alan Alda's Dr. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce.

Rogers had left that series after just three seasons.

In "Trapper John, M.D.," the Korean War was nearly 30 years past and Roberts' character was now a balding, middle-aged chief of surgery at San Francisco Memorial Hospital. He no longer fought the establishment, having learned how to deal with it with patience and wry humor.

The series, praised for its serious treatment of the surgical world, aired until 1986.

Roberts' other venture into series TV was "FBI: The Untold Stories" (1991-1993), in which he acted as host and narrator.

Pernell Roberts Jr. was born in 1928 in Waycross, Ga. As a young man, he once commented, "I distinguished myself by flunking out of college three times." After pursuing occupations that ranged from tombstone maker to railroad riveter, he decided to become an actor.

Roberts worked extensively in regional theaters, then gained notice in New York, where he won a Drama Desk award in 1956 for his performance in an off-Broadway production of "Macbeth."

He eventually moved to Hollywood, where he appeared in several TV shows and landed character roles in such features as "Desire Under the Elms," ''The Sheepman" and "Ride Lonesome" until "Bonanza" made him a star.

Three of Roberts' marriages ended in divorce. His first, to Vera Mowry, produced a son, Jonathan, who died in 1989 at age 37.

FingerLakes1.com
#1138359 --- 01/26/10 03:24 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: RedGreen]
threesons Offline

Loc: Hysteria Lane
I was watching the Today show this morning when they announced he passed away. I was truly surprised he was 81. I thought he was younger. he was the last of the 4. R.I.P.

When you look at your investments and wet your pants.

#1138366 --- 01/26/10 03:48 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: threesons]
Highlander Offline

He lived a LONG life.
Poor Hos and Little Joe died far tooo young !

I love(ed) the humorous episodes of Bonanza.
Michael Landon's laugh was infectious !!!

#1138391 --- 01/26/10 05:51 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Highlander]
angela Offline

Loc: usa
RIP.. They are all gone now.. Use to watch it all the time.

#1138402 --- 01/26/10 06:54 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: threesons]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: threesons
I was watching the Today show this morning when they announced he passed away. I was truly surprised he was 81. I thought he was younger. he was the last of the 4. R.I.P.

The show 1st aired 51 years ago, he played the oldest adult brother, and was the oldest of the 3 actors who played the brothers. How young could he be?

#1138403 --- 01/26/10 06:58 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: VM Smith]
angela Offline

I was 11...Where did the time go...

#1138404 --- 01/26/10 07:01 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: threesons]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"he was the last of the 4. R.I.P."

5. Don't forget Victor Sen Yung. 101 episodes made him a major character, also.

#1138407 --- 01/26/10 07:05 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: VM Smith]
angela Offline

what medical show did he star in.. It was a series..

#1138412 --- 01/26/10 07:08 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: angela]
RedGreen Offline

It's in the bio and obit I posted geez.

#1138413 --- 01/26/10 07:10 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: RedGreen]
angela Offline

Sometimes I just dont read up....

#1138448 --- 01/26/10 08:05 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: angela]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

You are interested enough to post on this thread about Roberts, so why not read the bio and obit, and learn something about him?

#1138451 --- 01/26/10 08:17 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: VM Smith]
Santa_Cruzer Offline

Loc: Westside
Bill Clark was another Bonanza vet. Double duty stuntman for both Hos and Ben.

Bill Clark was hired to do stunts on the show from the first day in 1959. At 6' 1" with wavy and brown hair, he would do the stunts, fights and horseback doubling for Lorne Greene for 14 years straight and by the third year would begin doubling for Dan Blocker through 1972. Bill would also be a stand-in and lighting stand-in for Lorne and Dan many times and was also seen in literally every episode as an extra. In June 1973, Bill was seriously injured when his small plane crash-landed in Mexico. The medics rushed him to the hospital where surgery was performed on his back, but he didn't make it and died on the table.

LONG LIVE AARON COMETBUS!
http://www.freakradio.org
http://www.canorml.org

#1138455 --- 01/26/10 08:23 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Santa_Cruzer]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks for the info; didn't know of him.

#1138456 --- 01/26/10 08:25 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: VM Smith]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Wasn't it reported that all those guys were gay?

#1138458 --- 01/26/10 08:27 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
RedGreen Offline

I think that was just sort of a tongue-in-cheek joke because of 4 grown men living in the same house and none ever had much luck with the ladies.

#1138481 --- 01/26/10 08:58 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: RedGreen]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Yeah - that might be it.....

#1138526 --- 01/26/10 11:28 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Santa_Cruzer Offline

Loc: Westside
Adult consensual incest?

Must be those assless chaps.

LONG LIVE AARON COMETBUS!
http://www.freakradio.org
http://www.canorml.org

#1138594 --- 01/27/10 06:29 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: angela]
ovidtech Offline

Loc: Between.
Trapper John M.D.

#1138669 --- 01/27/10 09:59 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: RedGreen]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: RedGreen
I think that was just sort of a tongue-in-cheek joke because of 4 grown men living in the same house and none ever had much luck with the ladies.

Well... obviously, Pa had some luck. Three sons by three wives?

#1138671 --- 01/27/10 10:10 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Josephus]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

He was one heck of a Bronco rider....

#1138678 --- 01/27/10 10:19 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: VM Smith]
angela Offline

Originally Posted By: VM Smith
You are interested enough to post on this thread about Roberts, so why not read the bio and obit, and learn something about him?
It must be great to be perfect..wow.

Edited by angela (01/27/10 10:21 AM)

#1138829 --- 01/27/10 03:28 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: angela]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: angela
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
It must be great to be perfect..wow.

Wow. That's probably one of the strangest things I've ever read, Angela. How would taking the time to read the first post in a thread, simply in order to know what the thread is about before commenting in the thread, EVER make make anyone think he's perfect? That's really bizarre. Please explain your thinking on this; it's got to be pretty.....uhmnn....interesting, I guess.

#1138831 --- 01/27/10 03:30 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
Wasn't it reported that all those guys were gay?

I don't think so. You must be thinking of Brokeback Mounting....

#1138832 --- 01/27/10 03:32 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: RedGreen]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Hmmm.....richest guys in town, and still didn't date....maybe the rumors were true.....

#1138900 --- 01/27/10 04:45 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: VM Smith]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

LOL

#1138949 --- 01/27/10 07:17 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: ovidtech]
angela Offline

Originally Posted By: ovidtech
Trapper John M.D.
He was always a handsome man...

#1139159 --- 01/28/10 09:09 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: angela]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Here's a question. He had a full head of hair on Bonanza, but was bald on Trapper John, MD. Did he wear a toupee on Bonanza?

#1139198 --- 01/28/10 10:24 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Josephus]
angela Offline

HMMMM....A good question...How long after Bonanza did hestar in Trapper john?

#1139237 --- 01/28/10 11:25 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: angela]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

He left Bonanza in '65 and joined Trapper John in '79, as stated in the first post. So, 14 years.

Still haven't read the article, Angela? ;\)

My guess is that he was wearing a Toupee in Bonanza.

#1139242 --- 01/28/10 11:28 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Josephus]
angela Offline

No lol ...wILL READ IT NOW...

Edited by angela (01/28/10 11:30 AM)

#1139247 --- 01/28/10 11:32 AM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: RedGreen]
angela Offline

I used to watch Bonanza all the time. R.I.P

LOS ANGELES (AP) Pernell Roberts, the ruggedly handsome actor who shocked Hollywood by leaving TV's "Bonanza" at the height of its popularity, then found fame again years later on "Trapper John, M.D.," has died. He was 81.

Roberts, the last surviving member of the classic Western's cast, died of cancer Sunday at his Malibu home, his wife Eleanor Criswell told the Los Angeles Times.

Although he rocketed to fame in 1959 as Adam Cartwright, eldest son of a Nevada ranching family led by Lorne Greene's patriarchal Ben Cartwright, Roberts chafed at the limitations he felt his "Bonanza" character was given.

"They told me the four characters (Greene, himself and Dan Blocker and Michael Landon as his brothers) would be carefully defined and the scripts carefully prepared," he complained to The Associated Press in 1964. "None of it ever happened."

It particularly distressed him that his character, a man in his 30s, had to continually defer to the wishes of his widowed father.

"Doesn't it seem a bit silly for three adult males to get Father's permission for everything they do?" he once asked a reporter.

Roberts agreed to fulfill his six-year contract but refused to extend it, and when he left the series in 1965, his character was eliminated with the explanation that he had simply moved away.

"Bonanza," with its three remaining stars, continued until 1973, making it second to "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running Western on TV. Blocker died in 1972, Greene in 1987, and Landon in 1991.

When Roberts left the show the general feeling in Hollywood was that he had foolishly doomed his career and turned his back on a fortune in "Bonanza" earnings.

Indeed, for the next 14 years he mainly made appearances on TV shows and in miniseries, or toured with such theatrical productions as "The King and I, "Camelot" and "The Music Man."

His TV credits during that time included "The Virginian," ''Hawaii Five-O," ''Mission Impossible," ''Marcus Welby, M.D.," ''Banacek," ''Ironside" and "Mannix."

Then, in 1979, he landed another series, "Trapper John, M.D.," in which he played the title role.

The character, but little else, was spun off from the brilliant Korean War comedy-drama "M-A-S-H," in which Wayne Rogers had played the offbeat Dr. "Trapper" John McIntire opposite Alan Alda's Dr. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce.

Rogers had left that series after just three seasons.

In "Trapper John, M.D.," the Korean War was nearly 30 years past and Roberts' character was now a balding, middle-aged chief of surgery at San Francisco Memorial Hospital. He no longer fought the establishment, having learned how to deal with it with patience and wry humor.

The series, praised for its serious treatment of the surgical world, aired until 1986.

Roberts' other venture into series TV was "FBI: The Untold Stories" (1991-1993), in which he acted as host and narrator.

Pernell Roberts Jr. was born in 1928 in Waycross, Ga. As a young man, he once commented, "I distinguished myself by flunking out of college three times." After pursuing occupations that ranged from tombstone maker to railroad riveter, he decided to become an actor.

Roberts worked extensively in regional theaters, then gained notice in New York, where he won a Drama Desk award in 1956 for his performance in an off-Broadway production of "Macbeth."

He eventually moved to Hollywood, where he appeared in several TV shows and landed character roles in such features as "Desire Under the Elms," ''The Sheepman" and "Ride Lonesome" until "Bonanza" made him a star.

Three of Roberts' marriages ended in divorce. His first, to Vera Mowry, produced a son, Jonathan, who died in 1989 at age 37.

ok did read... \:D

#1139292 --- 01/28/10 12:21 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Josephus]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

I'd say there was a good chance he wasn't wearing one in Bonanza, at least to start with; he was between 29 and 35, and I think I see frontal hairline roots in the above pic.

#1139341 --- 01/28/10 02:08 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: VM Smith]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Yeah... think you're right, VM.

#1139344 --- 01/28/10 02:15 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Josephus]
angela Offline

They have a pic on yahoo at 81. but dont know how to put it here.

#1139397 --- 01/28/10 04:13 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: angela]
Highlander Offline

With the understanding "Wikipedia" is not 100% accurate, since anyone can add anything at any given time with no validation required, I post this with some trepidation:

Despite the show's success, Roberts departed the series - having disagreements with the writers, displeased with the implausibility of his adult character's continually addressing his father as Pa,[15] having asked unsuccessfully that he be able to stop wearing his toupee,[15] and wanting to return to theater.

#1139425 --- 01/28/10 06:12 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: VM Smith]
threesons Offline

Loc: Hysteria Lane
Geez VM lighten up. I made simple remarks. I thought he was about 75. Whoopee-doo, I don't study these things. It's not that important.

When you look at your investments and wet your pants.

#1139475 --- 01/28/10 09:12 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: Highlander]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks; I learned something new.

#1139476 --- 01/28/10 09:13 PM Re: " Adam Cartwright" Pernell Roberts dies at 81 [Re: threesons]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: threesons
Geez VM lighten up. I made simple remarks. I thought he was about 75. Whoopee-doo, I don't study these things. It's not that important.

There was a mistake in the article. He was actually 113.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >