FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1135135 --- 01/20/10 04:26 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: happimomof2]
Rick-the-Builder Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Finger Lakes USA
Originally Posted By: happimomof2
I can remember as a kid my mom making homemade pizza-wheat crust even! It was awesome! Now if only I can learn how to do that, I could make some good pizzas! We went to Pizza Hut last night and spent $25 on a large meat lovers with a family order of breadsticks with cheese and one drink. Not bad but still that's $25 less to spend on actual groceries or other supplies but I didn't feel like making/cooking anything. Will have to try to make our own pizzas. Wish me luck!

Put that $25.00 toward a pizza stone and peel. Go the frozen bread dough route. Buy Jar sauce, cheese and topping and I bet that pizza won't be as inconvienent as you might think it would be. Plus it's cost will be around five or six bucks.

It's fun for each member of the family to top their slice of the homemade pizza themselves with how they want it.

FingerLakes1.com
#1135170 --- 01/20/10 05:22 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Loc: NYS
Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
WE NEED a higher tax on Pizza Sauce to help make up the deficit spending in Albany

LOL! Great one, Lusi. Makes about as much sense as legalizing grass just for the taxes it will reap... which it wouldn't since it grows just about anywhere.

#1135172 --- 01/20/10 05:24 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: RedGreen]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Originally Posted By: RedGreen
Greek pizza can refer to either of two styles of pizza.

One usage refers to a pizza with typically (or stereotypically) Greek ingredients as toppings. These include authentic toppings such as feta cheese, onion, Kalamata olives, fresh tomato, and green bell pepper, as well as others borrowed from unrelated Greek dishes such as gyros meat[1] or others incorrectly believed to be typical of Greek cuisine, such as spinach.

The other usage refers to a style of pizza crust rather than its toppings. This style is baked in a pan, instead of directly on the bricks of the pizza oven (as is more traditional for Italian pizza.) It has a thick, chewy crust that is usually quite oily. This style of pizza is referred to as "Greek pizza" even when it has non-Greek toppings, since it is typical of pizzerias owned by Greek immigrants. These establishments often also sell Greek specialities, such as Greek salads and gyros, and tend to brand themselves as "Pizza and Pasta" or as a "House of Pizza"; a code signifying that it is not an Italian restaurant, but a Greek restaurant serving Italian style food.

In the United States, the latter usage appears to be specific to New England cuisine.

Thanks RedGreen. Yes... I was referring to the second description. My home state is Massachusetts, and Greek pizza is MUCH more common there than Italian. Also, I think most there would agree that it makes for a better pizza.

#1135849 --- 01/22/10 07:58 AM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Josephus]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: aka Brightside
I'm thinking about trying to do a deep dish pizza in one of my cast iron pans... It should be good because on my regular pizza's I mound on the toppings and it looks like a mountain LOL ...in the cast iron I will have more room for MORE toppings LOL

#1135966 --- 01/22/10 01:47 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
Rick-the-Builder Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Finger Lakes USA
Do you think that the cast iron pan will heat through enough to brown and cook the crust? I preheat cast iron to do corn bread in but hard to build a pizza in a hot pan. I would reccomend using a big cake pan.

#1136050 --- 01/22/10 03:55 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Rick-the-Builder]
Della Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Seneca Falls
I have a Pampered Chef stoneware deep dish baker that works great for deep dish pizza.

#1136283 --- 01/23/10 12:47 AM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Della]
pixie Offline

Loc: Romulus
doing 12 pizzas for a party sunday caught some nice lobster yea in bahamas for the winter and smoked them and will have on pizza yumm.
I try to get the wood fired oven to 950 f and the pizzas cook in 2 min, just right crispy crust but not to hard , and the cheese all melted and with a litte brown crust on the cheese. Hard to get some ingrediants down here but we find fresh mushrooms some times and peppers from the garden, If I can cook any one can give it a try.

#1136351 --- 01/23/10 04:28 AM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: pixie]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Would that oven burn household waste for energy?

#1136381 --- 01/23/10 10:01 AM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Rick-the-Builder]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Rick-the-Builder
Do you think that the cast iron pan will heat through enough to brown and cook the crust? I preheat cast iron to do corn bread in but hard to build a pizza in a hot pan. I would reccomend using a big cake pan.

Good thinking...I never really thought about the pan not heating up enough.... However I could pre-cook the crust somewhat first and then top it and cook it the rest of the way...kinda like a Pizzeria Uno/Chicago Style pizza. Also i lightly pre cook my toppings first as well i.e. brocolli, sausage, onions, mushrooms etc. So if I cook the crust halfway first and then put on the toppings and finish it just make it work. Some of the best recipes have come from *Trial and Error* \:\)

#1136469 --- 01/23/10 12:54 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
pixie Offline

Loc: Romulus
we cook a few toppings before as it removes mosture and grease, saugages I fully cook , i buy turkey or beef polish coil cut into thin strips and pre cook so to brown the meat tasts better, with pinapple I drain the pineapple then place in paper towel and pat dry , to much moisture makes the pizza crust to wet. one trick is I now buy the crusts I have a food distributer on the island who sells pizza shells frozen , I was surprized how good they were and only 1.50 each for a 12 inch . And your right scotty I pre cook the shells a tiny bit they work better in the very hot oven so everything comes out cooked in 2 min.

and lusi no if you burn garbage in your back yard you create furans and dioxins , its not a good thing if everyone did it we would have more smog.

#1156700 --- 03/08/10 03:06 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: pixie]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: USA
price of tomatoes going up

#1156792 --- 03/08/10 07:26 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: bluezone]
Josephus Offline
Silver Member

Was there a crop freeze in CA?

#1156983 --- 03/09/10 08:52 AM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Josephus]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

No, it was on the news here in Syracuse yesterday. There were numerous freezes in Florida and almost the whole tomato crop was lost. The only thing that's left is damaged or 2nd *grade* tomatoes. Most are now getting their tomatoes from Mexico at a much higher cost...but better quality.

http://news10now.com/cny-news-1013-content/498142/when-you-can-t-cut-high-priced-tomatoes-out

#1157231 --- 03/09/10 10:54 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

How can a mexican tomato cost more than a florida tomato - same mexicans picking...

#1157248 --- 03/09/10 11:09 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
sassyone Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Seneca Falls,NY,
Maybe they are charging US more to have the illegals carry the tomato across the border.

#1157251 --- 03/09/10 11:11 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: sassyone]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

border tax....I get it

#1157400 --- 03/10/10 11:20 AM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

You also pay for the transport of the illegal immigrants in the trucks with the tomatoes LOL

I went to Wendy's yesterday and they had a huge sign that said due to the Florida freeze they have temporarily stopped using tomatoes on their sandwiches and only will by request only?

#1157709 --- 03/10/10 11:54 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Scottie2Hottie
only will by request only?

I request a dozen ripe ones to go

#1157947 --- 03/11/10 12:13 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: bluezone]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: bluezone
only will by request only?

I request a dozen ripe ones to go

NAW...on am not a big fan of Fast food tomatoes( usually second quality)... I will just wait till my early boys and cherry tomatoes come up in my garden \:\)

#1158002 --- 03/11/10 03:21 PM Re: Area Pizza Prices Going Up [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
bluezone Offline
Diamond Member

I will just wait till my early boys and cherry tomatoes come up in my garden \:\)

how large of an area do you plant?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >