FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1132642 --- 01/13/10 12:04 PM Nepotism at the Elections Office?
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Election commissioner chooses son as deputy

WATERLOO — Ruth V. Same, Seneca County’s Democratic election commissioner, didn’t have to look far in choosing her deputy commissioner.

She has selected her son, Carl J. Same, for the full-time position.

A lifelong Democrat, Carl Same graduated from Mynderse Academy in 1984 and attended the State University College at Delhi to study hotel and restaurant management.

He worked at Disney World and at several other hotels and restaurants in Florida; Atlanta, Ga.; San Francisco; and Syracuse; and currently works at the Red Dove Restaurant in Geneva.

He lives in Geneva and plans to move to Seneca Falls.

The position carries a salary of $32,516 for 2010.

by DAVID L. SHAW/dshaw@fltimes.com
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:51 AM CST

FingerLakes1.com
#1132644 --- 01/13/10 12:06 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: newsman38]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Oh my . . . no Nepotism in this county!

#1132645 --- 01/13/10 12:08 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Loc: No where but here
and so it continues....surprised...I'm not \:\/

#1132649 --- 01/13/10 12:22 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
So let me get this right.....

Valerie Churchill gets appointed the Tax Collector under Uncle Peter Same for the Town after Valerie's husband Steve Churchill won a close County Board seat in the recent election. Steve Churchill now can vote on Aunt Ruth and cousin Carl's salary and appointments all while being related to Uncle Pete. Now Aunt Ruth is appointing her own son, Carl Same as a deputy Democratic Election Commissioner.....

My head is spinning......

#1132656 --- 01/13/10 12:30 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ghosts Offline

Speaking of smell . . . should we dissolve the Village and the Town and become the "SAME-O-VILLE?"

Okay, I admitted that I am trying to learn and be more informed. Is this a County Job? How is this position funded? Were there job postings? What is the candidate selection process? Was Mrs. Same’s son the only candidate or only qualified candidate for this position? If you don’t want to explain and have a link to help me with these questions, please post. Help me to understand.

#1132669 --- 01/13/10 01:05 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

quote=Ghosts]Speaking of smell . . . should we dissolve the Village and the Town and become the "SAME-O-VILLE?"

Okay, I admitted that I am trying to learn and be more informed.

Is this a County Job? YES

How is this position funded? Our County Taxes

Were there job postings? Secret that only Frank Sinicropi knows the answer to - just ask him

What is the candidate selection process? You must be related to a SAME

Was Mrs. Same’s son the only candidate or only qualified candidate for this position? It was over before it was even known a selection had been made

If you don’t want to explain and have a link to help me with these questions, please post. Help me to understand. [/quote]

So, an out of County Resident that has done nothing for the Democratic Party gets the position. Good job Democratic Committee - Nice job Teddie

#1132671 --- 01/13/10 01:16 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ghosts Offline

If your answers are true (for the most part - I have no reason to doubt), by continuing the nepotism, do they have the potential to face a class-action lawsuit because of the a system of chronic cronyism? Could a lawsuit potentially be filed alleging county jobs routinely go to friends and family of county officials without being advertised and the lack of a consistent human resources policy?

I know that someone will write that this has already been tried . . . and failed. Otherwise, why does it so blatantly continue? Just curious.

#1132675 --- 01/13/10 01:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Footstepsabove Offline

§ 3-300. Board employees; appointment.
Every board of elections shall appoint, and at its pleasure remove,
clerks, voting machine technicians, custodians and other employees, fix their
number, prescribe their duties, fix their titles and rank and establish their
salaries within the amounts appropriated therefor by the local legislative body
and shall secure in the appointment of employees of the board of elections
equal representation of the major political parties. Every commissioner in each
board of elections except for commissioners of the board of elections of the
city of New York, may approve and at pleasure remove a deputy, establish his
title and prescribe his duties.
In the city of New York, the board of elections
shall appoint an executive director and a deputy executive director whose
duties it shall be to supervise the operations of the board of elections under the
supervision of such board.

#1132676 --- 01/13/10 01:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Well, the Barto's had a nice deal going as well. So maybe it will be looked into.

#1132677 --- 01/13/10 01:22 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Loc: No where but here
Letter to the editor perhaps?????

#1132679 --- 01/13/10 01:28 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
This is just crazy. It needs to be stopped.

#1132680 --- 01/13/10 01:42 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Greymane]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
Come on, everyone in Seneca-tucky is related.

#1132684 --- 01/13/10 01:58 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: HarleyBobT]
Greymane Offline

Not me. I am a transplant. \:\)

#1132691 --- 01/13/10 02:11 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Footstepsabove]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Footstepsabove
§ 3-300. Board employees; appointment.
Every board of elections shall appoint, and at its pleasure remove,
clerks, voting machine technicians, custodians and other employees, fix their
number, prescribe their duties, fix their titles and rank and establish their
salaries within the amounts appropriated therefor by the local legislative body
and shall secure in the appointment of employees of the board of elections
equal representation of the major political parties. Every commissioner in each
board of elections except for commissioners of the board of elections of the
city of New York, may approve and at pleasure remove a deputy, establish his
title and prescribe his duties.
In the city of New York, the board of elections
shall appoint an executive director and a deputy executive director whose
duties it shall be to supervise the operations of the board of elections under the
supervision of such board.

Thanks for posting. If I’m understanding correctly, Mrs. Same is in compliance of the NYS Board of Elections Laws. What a relief. I guess its just too much to ask that they would make the slightest attempt to avoid nepotism . . . or even the appearance of nepotism. How can her son feel pride, due to the hard work, to earn that job? Looks like Seneca County is becoming a personal family business.

I think that anyone running in a future Seneca County election would do well to add anti-nepotism to their platform.

#1132694 --- 01/13/10 02:17 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!! Sinking feeling in my gut.....

WHY IS THIS TOLERATED?

#1132695 --- 01/13/10 02:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Greymane]
HarleyBobT Offline

Originally Posted By: Greymane
Not me. I am a transplant. \:\)
ahahahaha.

#1132696 --- 01/13/10 02:23 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
HarleyBobT Offline

Originally Posted By: Senecamom
Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!! Sinking feeling in my gut.....

WHY IS THIS TOLERATED?

I think Mother Same was hoping it would fly under the radar.

#1132697 --- 01/13/10 02:25 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Old Broad Offline

Loc: Whitewater, Ca. USA
Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
quote=Ghosts]Speaking of smell . . . should we dissolve the Village and the Town and become the "SAME-O-VILLE?"

Okay, I admitted that I am trying to learn and be more informed.

Is this a County Job? YES

How is this position funded? Our County Taxes

Were there job postings? Secret that only Frank Sinicropi knows the answer to - just ask him

What is the candidate selection process? You must be related to a SAME

Was Mrs. Same’s son the only candidate or only qualified candidate for this position? It was over before it was even known a selection had been made

If you don’t want to explain and have a link to help me with these questions, please post. Help me to understand.

So, an out of County Resident that has done nothing for the Democratic Party gets the position. Good job Democratic Committee - Nice job Teddie [/quote]

I left Seneca County in 1995, and it still is business as usual.
i guess you have to know someone or be someones' relative in order to get a town or county job. As I said, BUSINESS AS USUAL.

#1132699 --- 01/13/10 02:28 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Old Broad]
Senecamom Offline

"I left Seneca County in 1995, and it still is business as usual.
i guess you have to know someone or be someones' relative in order to get a town or county job. As I said, BUSINESS AS USUAL." [OldBroad]

This is what scares me more.....

#1132701 --- 01/13/10 02:30 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Old Broad]
oldmedic Offline

Loc: Seneca County
I,m on the County Democratic Committee and I did't know of the appointment till I recieved a letter yesterday from the Mrs. Same!! I only have ONE statement regarding this appointment.........HMMMMM, Why no meeting with the committee? Or how about taking app's?

#1132702 --- 01/13/10 02:32 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Old Broad]
Footstepsabove Offline

§ 3-200. Boards of elections; creation, qualifications of
commissioners, removal.

1. There shall be a board of elections in each county of the state and
in the city of New York for the five counties thereof.
2. Each board shall consist of two election commissioners, except that
the county legislative body of a county having a population of more than one
hundred and twenty thousand may, by local law, increase the number of
commissioners to four, to be appointed as provided in this title. Each of the
major political parties shall be eligible to recommend appointment of an equal number of commissioners.
3. In the city of New York the board shall consist of ten
commissioners of election who shall be registered voters in the county for
which they are appointed and they shall be appointed by the city council of the city of New York. Not more than two commissioners shall be registered voters of the same county.
4. No person shall be appointed as election commissioner or continue
to hold office who is not a registered voter in the county and not an enrolled
member of the party recommending his appointment, or who holds any other
public office, except that of commissioner of deeds, notary public, village
officer, city or town justice, member of a community board within the city of
New York or trustee or officer of a school district outside of a city.
5. [Repealed]
6. An election commissioner shall not be a candidate for any elective
office which he would not be entitled to hold under the provisions of this
article, unless he has ceased by resignation or otherwise, to be commissioner prior to his nomination or designation therefor. Otherwise such nomination or designation shall be null and void.
7. An election commissioner may be removed from office by the
governor for cause in the same manner as a sheriff. Any vacancy so resulting
shall be filled in a manner prescribed by this article for filling vacancies.

§ 3-202. Election commissioners; term of office.
1. The term of office of an election commissioner shall be two years
beginning January first of each odd numbered year except that in the city of
New York and the county of Schenectady the term shall be four years
beginning on January first of each alternate odd numbered year. The county legislative body of any other county may determine that the commissioners of elections thereafter appointed shall serve for a term of four years. Such
determination may be rescinded by a subsequent action of the county
legislative body which shall take effect at the expiration of the terms of the
commissioners then in office.
2. The local legislative body may, at any time, determine that the
terms of office for commissioners shall be staggered and may make subsequent appointments so as to provide for staggered terms of office thereafter.

§ 3-204. Election commissioners; appointment.
1. At least thirty days before the first day of January of any year in
which a commissioner of elections is to be appointed, the chairman or
secretary of the appropriate party county committee shall file a certificate of
party recommendation with the clerk of the appropriate local legislative body.
2. Party recommendations for election commissioner shall be made by
the county committee or by such other committee as the rules of the party may provide, by a majority of the votes cast at a meeting of the members of such committee at which a quorum is present. If at any time a vacancy occurs in the office of any election commissioner other than by expiration of term of office, party recommendations to fill such vacancy shall be made by the county committee or by such other committee as the rules of the party may provide, by a majority of the votes cast at a meeting of the members of such committee at which a quorum is present.
3. The certificate filed shall be in such form and contain such
information as shall be prescribed by the state board of elections.
4. Commissioners of election shall be appointed by the county
legislative body, or in the city of New York, by the city council. Provided,
however, that if a legislative body shall fail to appoint any person
recommended by a party for appointment as a commissioner pursuant to this section, within thirty days after the filing of a certificate of recommendation with such legislative body, then the members of such legislative body who are members of the political party which filed such certificate may appoint such person. If none of the persons named in any of the certificates filed by a party are so appointed within sixty days after the filing of any such certificate, then such party may file another certificate within thirty days after the expiration of any such sixty day period recommending a different person for such appointment. If a party fails to file a certificate within the time prescribed by this section, the members of the legislative body who are members of such party may appoint any eligible person to such office.
5. If at any time a vacancy occurs in the office of any election
commissioner other than by expiration of term of office, such vacancy shall be filled as herein provided for the regular appointment of a commissioner except that a person who fills a vacancy shall hold such office during the remainder of the term of the commissioner in whose place he shall serve. Certificates of party recommendation to fill such vacancy shall be filed not later than fortyfive days after the creation of the vacancy.

§ 3-208. Election commissioners; salaries.
Each election commissioner in the same county shall receive an equal
salary. The salary shall be an annual salary to be fixed by the county legislative body except that each commissioner of elections in the city of New York shall receive the sum of one hundred twenty-five dollars for each day’s attendance at meetings of the board or any of its committees, not to exceed twelve thousand five hundred dollars a year.

#1132704 --- 01/13/10 02:44 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: oldmedic]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: oldmedic
I,m on the County Democratic Committee and I did't know of the appointment till I recieved a letter yesterday from the Mrs. Same!! I only have ONE statement regarding this appointment.........HMMMMM, Why no meeting with the committee? Or how about taking app's?

Totally BLEEPING unbelievable! Good to hear from an open - honest speaking committee member. I just assumed that her son was appointed with the approval of all of the committee. Boy, am I naive. Will you, as a board member, censure her?

#1132705 --- 01/13/10 02:46 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
oldmedic Offline

Im preparing my SPEECH as we speak!!

#1132708 --- 01/13/10 02:56 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: oldmedic]
Ghosts Offline

Im preparing my SPEECH as we speak!!

That's cool. Please don't hold back!

I'm working my way through the NYS Elections Laws sections just posted by Footstepsabove. I’m still trying to absorb/comprehend it, but I am especially interested in section: § 3-204. Election commissioners; appointment.

#1132711 --- 01/13/10 03:10 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
oldmedic Offline

With the untimely death of Barb ( great lady ) She probaly can, but is it the right thing to do without consulting with the full committee?

#1132712 --- 01/13/10 03:15 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: oldmedic]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

It's the most political job there is. At no time is it warranted to act in a vacuum. Ruth Same should have asked for a committee meeting.

#1132713 --- 01/13/10 03:17 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: oldmedic]
Ghosts Offline

With the untimely death of Barb ( great lady ) She probaly can, but is it the right thing to do without consulting with the full committee?

I was so sorry to hear of Barb's passing.

#1132714 --- 01/13/10 03:41 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: oldmedic]
Ghosts Offline

In reading the posted sections of the NYS Board of Elections Laws (I am by NO means an authority), again it doesn’t appear that there are any laws broken . . . although I didn’t read anything relative to an appointment of an Deputy Commissioner by the Election Commissioner. I did note, however, that some sections reference the following verbiage: “majority of the votes cast at a meeting of the members of such committee at which a quorum is present.”

#1132718 --- 01/13/10 04:06 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Bob Dylan Offline

Loc: Duluth, Minnesota

#1132726 --- 01/13/10 04:42 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Bob Dylan]
Ghosts Offline

#1132730 --- 01/13/10 04:52 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: oldmedic]
Norma Stitz Offline

Loc: Double D Ranch
Whats nepotitsm?

#1132732 --- 01/13/10 04:53 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Norma Stitz]
Norma Stitz Offline

Loc: Double D Ranch
Do a family tree of all the employees at the Seneca County office Buildings! I am sure you would be surprised at the number of "relatives" working there.

#1132735 --- 01/13/10 04:56 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Norma Stitz]
Della Offline
Gold Member

I think most of us wouldn't be very surprised.

#1132839 --- 01/13/10 09:27 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Della]
L EE Offline

would be interesting to see the resume' is there a connection between a restaurant worker, and a deputy election commissioner?
A lot of un-answered questions.... Where was the job posted??

#1132843 --- 01/13/10 09:31 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: L EE]
HarleyBobT Offline

Originally Posted By: L EE
Where was the job posted??
It was posted at the Christmas dinner table.

#1132851 --- 01/13/10 10:01 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: HarleyBobT]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

He worked at Disney World

#1132860 --- 01/13/10 10:33 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
queenbee Offline

Loc: soul quest
See he is qualified was he snow white or one of the 7 dwarves?

#1132862 --- 01/13/10 10:37 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Norma Stitz]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: Norma Stitz
Whats nepotitsm?

All your base are belong to us.

#1132880 --- 01/14/10 03:04 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? *DELETED* [Re: VM Smith]
BrentSame Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Post deleted by BrentSame

#1132881 --- 01/14/10 03:17 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: BrentSame]
GiGi Offline

Loc: Seneca
That's what this place is all about. They don't care about who they hurt. Your family doesn't have to explain anything. They have always worked extremely hard for this community. This County was built on families helping each other. When our children suffer, we suffer. I see nothing wrong with helping your own children. He can do the job! That's all that matters. Good luck to the Same family.

#1132888 --- 01/14/10 03:59 AM Same Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: BrentSame]
Hank Moody Offline

Originally Posted By: BrentSame
What's unbelievable to me is the fact that you people have nothing better to do than post on this forum. Do you really believe that Ruth would have appointed Carl to this position without knowing the law?
The majority of the comments on this thread are laughable. Lusifer you must have a real busy life. 26,500 posts in the last nine years. Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

How arrogant of this family. Getting their names in the paper for a lot of bad reasons. Nice article by the Fingerlakes Times.
Whats the matter Brent no job lined up for you.

#1132919 --- 01/14/10 05:37 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
jojotaxpayer Offline

Loc: Ontario County

Secret. LOL!

The continuing Seneca County follies are entertaining if nothing else.

#1132940 --- 01/14/10 07:18 AM Re: Same Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Hank Moody]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Hank Moody
[quote=BrentSame]How arrogant of this family. Getting their names in the paper for a lot of bad reasons. Nice article by the Fingerlakes Times.
Whats the matter Brent no job lined up for you.

Hey Brent,

The letter of the law is one thing.

Morality and ethics
is another.

This "appointment" of Mother taking Son under her wing is obscene, especially because of the fact there are many more capable Seneca County Democrats that should have been considered for the position. What do people who work for the party or are on the committee think of this slap in the face?

You say the comments are "laughable" - that is what we expect from someone of arrogance and with no scrupples.

Yes, I have been on for 9 years making over 26,000 brilliant posts. A Forum today is a replacement for the grapevine that you are well famililiar with I am sure. Truth, Honesty and the American way is what the Forums can facilitate.

The actions of Mommy and sibling Carl are disgusting. Even evidence of your deletion of your post shows a lack of esteem.

Edited by FL1 Staff (01/14/10 08:21 AM)

#1132941 --- 01/14/10 07:20 AM Re: Same Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

He lives in Geneva and plans to move to Seneca Falls.

Not even a Seneca County Resident - how disgusting!

"Plans" - yeah right -

#1132962 --- 01/14/10 09:01 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: GiGi
That's what this place is all about. They don't care about who they hurt. Your family doesn't have to explain anything. They have always worked extremely hard for this community. This County was built on families helping each other. When our children suffer, we suffer. I see nothing wrong with helping your own children. He can do the job! That's all that matters. Good luck to the Same family.

I personally feel that the Same family truly cares for this area and they do work hard. In this economic situation, if I were in the private sector and an employer, I would be inclined to give my family preferential treatment. I think that’s natural thing to do. That’s why it’s called a “Family Business.”

I also care about my community. We are talking about taxpayer funded jobs. So, my criticism is not of the work they do (although, I do disagree with some if their decisions.) The problem for me is the blatant nepotism. The dictionary defines nepotism as, "favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power (as by giving them jobs)." As a mother and a boss, how could she provide an honest evaluation of her child’s work? If he can do the job . . . great. Let him apply for another position, along with other qualified applicants, to work for someone other then his mother.

I think it’s important that elected officials should promote positive, non-discriminatory, merit-based employment practices. The only way to “fight” back, after an appointment has already been made, it is to post on these types of public forums. If given an opportunity a head of time, some folks will attend meetings and express their concerns. Besides truth based news or web articles, this is the only recourse the public has to address the problem and hopefully put enough pressure to stop the practice. There is nothing wrong with “Watch Dogs.”

#1132998 --- 01/14/10 10:20 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Greymane Offline

That is right, Ghosts....BLATANT NEPOTISM. Brent, if your family can't see the reasons that people would object to this, that is EXACTLY the reason your family should not be in politics in this county. But, hey, I am a conservative by nature, so if the Democratic party wants to pour gasoline all over itself, I will gladly bring the torch and we will have a ball.

#1133035 --- 01/14/10 11:45 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Greymane]
Paver007 Offline

Loc: under your foot
Don't think for a minute that Democrat head Teddy didn't endorse this blatent move of nepotism 100% !! He comments constantly about the Republicans practices but he is no better and he shows proof of it everyday!! THis guy is on a such an Ego Trip it is enough to make one VOMIT!

#1133043 --- 01/14/10 12:06 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Paver007]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Paver007
Don't think for a minute that Democrat head Teddy didn't endorse this blatent move of nepotism 100% !! He comments constantly about the Republicans practices but he is no better and he shows proof of it everyday!! THis guy is on a such an Ego Trip it is enough to make one VOMIT!

I didn’t intend for my posts to side with nor bash one political party or the other. My emphasis is on using common sense and doing the right thing for the people you represent. I gave up on my life-long political party affiliation a few years back. With age, comes wisdom. Neither big box party represents me anymore. Being a self-avowed and proud “Tea Bagger”, I believe that most of our local politicians take their cues from higher levels of government. I have seen unsavory practices and huge ego trips from both parties . . . at local, state and federal levels. In my opinion, it’s all a big, nasty, mess of a dirty “business” . . . making me want to vomit on a daily basis.

#1133105 --- 01/14/10 05:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
little owl Offline

Loc: seneca county
What I find hard to believe is that they appear to be surprised that people are irritated by this move! It takes GALL to do this and then sit back and wonder why some people will view this as improper on ALL levels. Just a newbies opinion!

#1133115 --- 01/14/10 05:48 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: little owl]
tubby Offline

Loc: N.Y.
This is incredible I haven't read the seneca county forums for a while I guess as far as politics goes not much has changed, isn't there a new realty show in here some where ?

#1133119 --- 01/14/10 05:54 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: little owl]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: little owl
What I find hard to believe is that they appear to be surprised that people are irritated by this move! It takes GALL to do this and then sit back and wonder why some people will view this as improper on ALL levels. Just a newbies opinion!

Welcome little owl! Thank you for taking the time to post.

I’m certain that our responses, to this appointment, were exactly what they expected. If not, their political game skills need sharpening.

Not just with this incident, but the politicians (D & R) have the “gall” because there is no fear of consequences. Many of us grumble, yell, scream, post, write, call, and speak out in meetings, which may upset “them” temporarily, but it doesn’t bother them enough to change their ways. They know that given time that the whole thing will “blow over.”

I have lost all trust and confidence in any level of government. As stated before, our local government just emulates the higher levels. Hopefully, people are waking up and speaking up and voting as individuals and not as party hacks. Let the politicians know that there CAN BE consequences.

#1133124 --- 01/14/10 06:19 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
little owl Offline

Maybe Im just being too hard on them. Besides, it appears he is a qualified candidate. Dont know what in the world he did at Disney that gives him qualifications, but Im sure that TICKET TAKER(or whatever he did there) somehow fits his current job duties. I'm AMAZED. $32000/per year. Where do I sign up?

#1133135 --- 01/14/10 06:47 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: newsman38]
GiGi Offline

Well, nepotism certainly is NOT illegal! You can't really dictate ethics or morality because it is not that cut and dried. What is ethical and moral for one, may not be for another...The County needs to have a policy against nepotism if people feel that strongly about it. As far as I know, they don't. If they did, they would have to grandfather in an awful lot of people. Small towns seem to have this problem a lot. Do we really want to go there?

Barb and Ruth were like sisters and were best friends. They grew up together. I am told that relationship did not interfere with day to day business. Ruth is enough of a professional to handle it. Just because some people can't do it, doesn't mean it wouldn't work here. It was her choice and like it or not, it is her RIGHT to name whoever she wants...that's the law!

#1133142 --- 01/14/10 07:02 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
HarleyBobT Offline

Well, nepotism certainly is NOT illegal! You can't really dictate ethics or morality because it is not that cut and dried. What is ethical and moral for one, may not be for another...The County needs to have a policy against nepotism if people feel that strongly about it. As far as I know, they don't. If they did, they would have to grandfather in an awful lot of people. Small towns seem to have this problem a lot. Do we really want to go there?

Barb and Ruth were like sisters and were best friends. They grew up together. I am told that relationship did not interfere with day to day business. Ruth is enough of a professional to handle it. Just because some people can't do it, doesn't mean it wouldn't work here. It was her choice and like it or not, it is her RIGHT to name whoever she wants...that's the law!
Great someone defending nepotism, this isn't Mississippi or is it?

#1133143 --- 01/14/10 07:04 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

You certianly can dictate ethics or morality via personal policy.

It is her RIGHT to name whoever she wants...that's the law! -- That doesn't make it right. Abuse of law and Abuse of power.

#1133159 --- 01/14/10 08:19 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: HarleyBobT]
GiGi Offline

If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have principals, superintendents, bus drivers, custodians, office workers and teachers related to each other and working at the schools? Gee, the schools seem to run just fine. If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have such great family run business in our town? Nepotism, like anything else, can be abused if left in the hands of the ignorant and corrupt. Professionals do not worry about it (please underline professionals). Again, in small, small communities like ours, it is impossible to avoid it. If we follow your line of reasoning, then other people should raise our own kids for us. According to some,we couldn't possibly be objective and responsible parents solely because we are related. HOGWASH and you know it!

#1133161 --- 01/14/10 08:21 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

You see, it’s that thought process, attitude and arrogance that truly irks me. Just because it’s legal doesn’t make it right. I cannot believe that we have individuals, holding public office, that can accept nepotism as ethical. This is just another example of why many people do not trust our government. Again, we're not talking about a family business.

Do we have to have to adopt a resolution banning nepotism in order for our these folks understand that it’s just plain wrong? Really?

Here is an excerpt from an article that I would recommend for you . . . or anyone that finds nepotism, in public office, acceptable :

Favoritism, Cronyism, and Nepotism - By Judy Nadler and Miriam Schulman

What do favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism have to do with ethics?

One of the most basic themes in ethics is fairness, stated this way by Artistotle: "Equals should be treated equally and unequals unequally." Favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism all interfere with fairness because they give undue advantage to someone who does not necessarily merit this treatment.

In the public sphere, favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism also undermine the common good. When someone is granted a position because of connections rather than because he or she has the best credentials and experience, the service that person renders to the public may be inferior.

Also, because favoritism is often covert (few elected officials are foolish enough to show open partiality to friends, and family), this practice undercuts the transparency that should be part of governmental hiring and contracting processes.

Complete article can be found at:

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicing/focusareas/government_ethics/introduction/cronyism.html

Edited by Ghosts (01/14/10 08:23 PM)

#1133165 --- 01/14/10 08:27 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have principals, superintendents, bus drivers, custodians, office workers and teachers related to each other and working at the schools?

Granted, it's a small area and relatives and friends are bound to work together. Did those other folks compete for those jobs? Were they the best qualified for those jobs? Did everyone get an opportunity to apply for those jobs? I could go on and on. I think you get the drift.

#1133169 --- 01/14/10 08:37 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

Professionals do not worry about it (please underline professionals).

At least one person, on this professional's committee, was advised of this appointment, via a letter (Notice that I underlined professional.) Now, may I ask . . . how professional was that?

#1133171 --- 01/14/10 08:41 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
GiGi Offline

A lot of high-brow hooey! Is it possible that this young man is qualified and will do a great job? Is there an assumption here that everyone will abuse employment protocol all the time? I fail to see the ethical and moral grandeur in that kind of thinking.

#1133172 --- 01/14/10 08:43 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

quote=GiGi]If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have principals, superintendents, bus drivers, custodians, office workers and teachers related to each other and working at the schools? Gee, the schools seem to run just fine.

I don't think the schools are run so well. When budget cuts and staff are on the chopping block, then new money or aid is found we suddenly don't have to do the budget cuts or staff reductions.

Another case of abuse is when a School Board member is the Husband or Wife of a teacher. How do you really think they are going to vote?

If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have such great family run business in our town?

If is a family business then it is not nepotism. Whew! you are really naive with that remark.

Nepotism, like anything else, can be abused if left in the hands of the ignorant and corrupt.

Yeah - that is most of the point here.

Professionals do not worry about it (please underline professionals).

Again, in small, small communities like ours, it is impossible to avoid it.

It is not impossible, quit trying to defend this arrogant unethical move made by Ruth Same

If we follow your line of reasoning, then other people should raise our own kids for us. According to some,we couldn't possibly be objective and responsible parents solely because we are related. HOGWASH and you know it!

That makes absolutely no sense at all. [/quote]

#1133173 --- 01/14/10 08:46 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

Is it possible that this young man is qualified and will do a great job?

Is he qualified? Did he submit a resume? Was anyone other then mother involved in the decision to hire him? Was a job posted? Did she review any other resumes for someone, who may have been more qualified and do an even better job? Oh, too many questions.

#1133174 --- 01/14/10 08:46 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

.... Is there an assumption here that everyone will abuse employment protocol all the time? I fail to see the ethical and moral grandeur in that kind of thinking.

If it is abused once it is ethically and morally wrong just as if it was done a dozen times.

#1133175 --- 01/14/10 08:50 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Senecamom Offline

Originally Posted By: Ghosts

Is he qualified? Did he submit a resume? Was anyone other then mother involved in the decision to hire him? Was a job posted? Did she review any other resumes for someone, who may have been more qualified and do an even better job? Oh, too many questions.

Carl Same graduated from Mynderse Academy in 1984 and attended the State University College at Delhi to study hotel and restaurant management.

He worked at Disney World and at several other hotels and restaurants in Florida; Atlanta, Ga.; San Francisco; and Syracuse; and currently works at the Red Dove Restaurant in Geneva.

GiGi was the same poster that was defending criticism about Laflers wife.....

Edited by Senecamom (01/14/10 08:54 PM)

#1133176 --- 01/14/10 08:57 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
GiGi Offline

I don't think the schools are run so well. When budget cuts and staff are on the chopping block, then new money or aid is found we suddenly don't have to do the budget cuts or staff reductions.

****(It would only hurt the kids to do so, that's why!)

Another case of abuse is when a School Board member is the Husband or Wife of a teacher. How do you really think they are going to vote?

***(They can't vote. The must recuse themselves)

If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have such great family run business in our town?

***My point was...being related in terms of employment and supervision of other family members is not a bad thing. I know what nepotism means.

If we follow your line of reasoning, then other people should raise our own kids for us. According to some,we couldn't possibly be objective and responsible parents solely because we are related. HOGWASH and you know it!

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

The point nepotism makes is if you are related then you can't make objective and responsible decisions. Favoritism is the expected outcome. This was a response to: being able to supervise and evaluate her own son.

I am always happy to clarify.

#1133178 --- 01/14/10 09:00 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
Ghosts Offline

Carl Same graduated from Mynderse Academy in 1984 and attended the State University College at Delhi to study hotel and restaurant management.

Okay, I'm sold! \:\)

Actually, he probably is a nice young man. Based on his work experience, undoubtably posted on his resume, he appears to be hard worker too. I'll bet all of his personal and business references were checked out too.

#1133179 --- 01/14/10 09:00 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
GiGi Offline

Seneca Mom: What's your point?

Edited by GiGi (01/14/10 09:07 PM)

#1133180 --- 01/14/10 09:04 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

This was a response to: being able to supervise and evaluate her own son.

My children are perfect!!!!!!!! As a loving mother, that's the only way I could evauate them.

Edited by Ghosts (01/14/10 09:06 PM)

#1133182 --- 01/14/10 09:07 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Senecamom Offline

Hogwash!

Disruption of the workforce
One of the chief complaints in a company that operates through nepotism is the patent lack of fairness.

Perceived favoritism of a relative can cause dissatisfaction among workers and lower morale.

Employees may have less incentive to perform their responsibilities diligently and proficiently if they feel that the path to promotion is undermined by nepotism.

Indeed, a company employing such tactics may find its more valuable employees seeking new employment where their talent is better recognized.

At a minimum, workers will likely complain and become embittered and less productive in the face of blatant nepotism.Loss of productivity
Nepotism usually leads to an inferior work product.

Employees who are rewarded and promoted because of their relationships with management are likely to be underqualified for the positions they are expected to fill.

That can lead to an erosion of leadership skills at the senior level of the corporation and also contribute to the demoralization of more deserving candidates.

#1133183 --- 01/14/10 09:08 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Senecamom Offline

Seneca Mom: What's your point?

A reminder.

#1133184 --- 01/14/10 09:09 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Senecamom Offline

Okay, I'm sold! \:\)

Actually, he probably is a nice young man. Based on his work experience, undoubtably posted on his resume, he appears to be hard worker too. I'll bet all of his personal and business references were checked out too.

I was pointing out what the article stated-I am unsure as to how this qualifies him in civil service and election laws...

#1133185 --- 01/14/10 09:09 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
GiGi Offline

I know you don't believe that to be 100% true. I'm sure they are the best thing since peanut butter...but we do have to teach, train and correct them. I have a good feeling, you do that, too!

#1133186 --- 01/14/10 09:14 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Nepotism is favoritism based on kinship. That's fine if it's your family business, and your money. If it's a public job, involving the public's money, it should be illegal at the local level, as it is at the state level. I wish people were ethical enough to just act ethically, without a law, but there are always a very few who aren't, or are just too stupid to grasp the issue, so laws have to be made, and there should be a local law:

"Section 73, subdivision 14 of New York's public officers law, adopted in March 2007, reads, in part: "No statewide elected official, state officer or employee, member of the Legislature or legislative employee may participate in any decision to hire, promote, discipline or discharge a relative for any compensated position at, for, or within any state agency, public authority, or the Legislature."

#1133189 --- 01/14/10 09:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
GiGi Offline

Look at the assumptions in these statements. Where does it say ALL and EVERY TIME and EVERYBODY. Again, is it possible he will do a great job and so will she? Is it possible that none of these blanket fears will ever happen at all? I would be more concerned about the love-ships between non-relatives as far as favoritism and low morale.

#1133190 --- 01/14/10 09:25 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
GiGi Offline

Yes, I agree to a point. But these are people we know. These aren't stupid, ignorant, uneducated or unprofessional people at all. We need to deal with the reality of that, too. Is the debated harm being done here... real or perceived?

#1133191 --- 01/14/10 09:31 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"But these are people we know."

So what? And what does it matter if it happens all the time and every time? You can concern yourself with the hypothetical, if you have the time to waste, but the fact that it's unethical in this instance is what concerns me, and the fact that you can't see what the problem is doesn't concern me a bit.

If they are truly professional people, then they should act in a professional manner. If they don't, then they aren't.

#1133192 --- 01/14/10 09:34 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

I know you don't believe that to be 100% true. I'm sure they are the best thing since peanut butter...but we do have to teach, train and correct them. I have a good feeling, you do that, too!

No, they are not 100% perfect(99.9% - maybe) because, like me, they are human. However, they sure do make me proud. They all landed their jobs based on their education, hard work and qualifications.

Again, if I owned a private business offering job opportunities with benefits, my children would be at the top of my hiring list. However, even in the private sector, if it didn’t work out, it would be very difficult to fire a loved one.

#1133194 --- 01/14/10 09:43 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
GiGi Offline

ok. Bottom line is that I respect how you feel. I just don't want to hurt these people. They are good people. If you know them, then you know that much. Yes, I tend to get philosophical, but can we agree to be gentle in our dealings? Let the County make a policy or lobby for a change. Let's not participate in ripping people apart for once in this place. I have come out on occasion and defended good people against horrible untruths because I cannot sit still for it. Have a good night...

#1133196 --- 01/14/10 09:49 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Firing's not the main issue, ghosts; hiring is. In private business, using your own money, it's not at all unethical to show preference in hiring your own kids. In the public sphere, even the appearance of familial preference should be avoided like the plague, and actual preference should be illegal. How many apps were taken, and how was the job publicized? For how long, and where and how? Was proper notice of the opening given?

SC has a code of ethics, but I can't find it online. Do you know if it's online?

#1133206 --- 01/14/10 10:32 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
Rich_Tallcot Offline

Loc: Greeneville, TN
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
SC has a code of ethics, but I can't find it online. Do you know if it's online?

This appears to be it:

They were changed and posted in the minutes of the July 12, 2005 regular meeting. Click on the link.

http://www.co.seneca.ny.us/bos_files/Min%20071205%20Brd.%20Mtg.%20-%20Approved.pdf

The ethics code appears to be posted on pages 6 through 13.

I would paste them here, but cleaning up the quotes and commas takes time when a copy and paste is done.

#1133209 --- 01/14/10 10:47 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Rich_Tallcot]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Thanks. I'd found that, but thought it just mentioned that the board had changed the code, so I didn't go far enough. I just skimmed it, and couldn't find anything about this situation.

#1133216 --- 01/15/10 12:11 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Oh Well! at least all the tables and desks will have fresh linens and the department silverware will be polished.

BTW - Is the Young (Ted's Daughter) and the Cramer (Anne's Daughter) still working in that office? I thought they were around only until the new voting machines were put in place.

Is this another case of a "temp job" turning into "Permanent" jobs?

#1133275 --- 01/15/10 07:45 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
Ghosts Offline

Firing's not the main issue, ghosts; hiring is.

Yes, I know. I thought that I stated that pretty clearly in my other multiple postings on this thread.

Edited by Ghosts (01/15/10 08:01 AM)

#1133279 --- 01/15/10 08:09 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Senecamom Offline

Bottom Line, it's wrong!!!

"Section 73, subdivision 14 of New York's public officers law, adopted in March 2007, reads, in part: "No statewide elected official, state officer or employee, member of the Legislature or legislative employee may participate in any decision to hire, promote, discipline or discharge a relative for any compensated position at, for, or within any state agency, public authority, or the Legislature."

#1133306 --- 01/15/10 08:49 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
Ghosts Offline

I was going to shoot off an email to the Seneca County Ethics Advisory Board, but it may be fruitless. Here's why:

Board of Supervisors

Committees:

BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
2009 STANDING COMMITTEES

COMMITTEE NO. 2 – PERSONNEL & TECHNOLOGY (Same, Chair; Reynolds, Vice-Chair, Westfall, Davidson, Barto) - Responsible for Personnel Department, civil service, employee contracts, employee salaries and benefits, employee relations, and affirmative action program. Responsible for computers and computer related equipment, AS400, electronic communications including telephones and cellular phones and the Information Technology Department

COMMITTEE NO. 3 - GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS (Amidon, Chair; Hayssen, Vice-Chair, Same, Westfall, Mooney) - Responsible for County Clerk, Board of Elections, Courts, Central Services, Records Management, County rules and order of business, ethics, legislative proposals and reviews, County Historian, County Manager, Clerk of the Board, Supervisors' expenses, Purchasing, County Law Department, and Weights and Measures

I'm still wading through the Ethics Code - yes,there is a board so there must be a code to advise upon:

Section Seven. Ethics Advisory Board

A. Membership. The members of the Board of Supervisor’s Personnel Committee, as appointed by the Chair of the Board of Supervisors, shall serve as the County’s ethics advisory board during their appointment to the personnel committee. The Chair of the Personnel Committee, or his or her designee, shall serve as the Chair of the Ethics Advisory Board. In the event that a quorum can not be had due to the disqualification of a board member, the Chair of the Board of Supervisors may sit as a voting member of the Ethics Advisory Board.

B. Quorum. One more than half of members of the Ethics Advisory Board shall constitute a quorum, with the vote of a majority members being required for action by the Board.

C. Procedure.

#1133312 --- 01/15/10 08:57 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Senecamom Offline

At the recent BOS meeting the Chair Lafler switched around some of the committee appointments...just an FYI.

#1133317 --- 01/15/10 09:02 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
Ghosts Offline

At the recent BOS meeting the Chair Lafler switched around some of the committee appointments...just an FYI.

Thanks. Since their official website stated 2009 and seeing that we're only a couple of weeks into the new year, I assumed (yeah, I know) that it would be correct. Well, it justs goes to show that they are "Johnny on the Spot" with keeping us all up-to-date and informed. I guess I will try to locate the recent minutes to determine board memberships as of the last meeting . . . as if that will change anything.

#1133318 --- 01/15/10 09:03 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Senecamom Offline

Margaret Lei would have that info.

#1133331 --- 01/15/10 09:36 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
Footstepsabove Offline

Unfortunately, what Mrs. Same has done is "legal" in terms of whether or not she can in fact make the appointment. Is it ethical? Not really. Does it "look bad." Yep. Were there other Democrats who could have been appointed who are not related in any way to anyone on the Democratic Committee? Absolutely! Could they be just as good at the job as Ruth and Pete Same's son? Of course.

The issue now becomes this - what is the Democratic Committee going to do about this? THEY have the power to "recommend" and put forth a candidate for the position of Elections Commissioner representing the Democratic party. When Ruth Same's term of office is up, THEY can recommend someone else to fill that position, and the County BOS would then have the ability to approve that appointment. It would be rare for the BOS not to approve an appointment recommended by the party Committee for either the Republicans or Democrats.

Given Mrs. Same's appointment of her son as her Deputy at a fairly decent salary with apparently no input from the Democratic Committee (if I understand how she made the appointment from the news reports), and given that this action is arguably a poor reflection on the Democratic Party organization in Seneca County, the onus is now on the Democratic Party Committee to take some kind of action that will reflect an ethical resolution to the situation.

Mrs. Same's position as Elections Commissioner is not civil service or elected, but she does have a term of office. So, next time she is up for reappointment, perhaps the Democratic Committee can reach outside its limited internal and familial ranks and find a good Seneca County Democrat who could serve in that capacity.

#1133347 --- 01/15/10 10:20 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Footstepsabove]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Footstepsabove
Unfortunately, what Mrs. Same has done is "legal" in terms of whether or not she can in fact make the appointment. Is it ethical? Not really. Does it "look bad." Yep. Were there other Democrats who could have been appointed who are not related in any way to anyone on the Democratic Committee? Absolutely! Could they be just as good at the job as Ruth and Pete Same's son? Of course.

The issue now becomes this - what is the Democratic Committee going to do about this? THEY have the power to "recommend" and put forth a candidate for the position of Elections Commissioner representing the Democratic party. When Ruth Same's term of office is up, THEY can recommend someone else to fill that position, and the County BOS would then have the ability to approve that appointment. It would be rare for the BOS not to approve an appointment recommended by the party Committee for either the Republicans or Democrats.

Given Mrs. Same's appointment of her son as her Deputy at a fairly decent salary with apparently no input from the Democratic Committee (if I understand how she made the appointment from the news reports), and given that this action is arguably a poor reflection on the Democratic Party organization in Seneca County, the onus is now on the Democratic Party Committee to take some kind of action that will reflect an ethical resolution to the situation.

Mrs. Same's position as Elections Commissioner is not civil service or elected, but she does have a term of office. So, next time she is up for reappointment, perhaps the Democratic Committee can reach outside its limited internal and familial ranks and find a good Seneca County Democrat who could serve in that capacity.

Totally agree. I have NO personal animus against anyone in the family. Like many others, I am just fed up with the way that some can play the system. It's wrong.

Besides the laws, hopefully they will all get familiar with the following:

Running a Local Municipal Ethics Board: Glossary of Municipal Ethics Terms

By Steven G. Leventhal

http://www.nysba.org/Content/NavigationM...uniLawSpr06.pdf

Some Excerpts:

Board of Ethics 5
Municipal board established to administer the local government ethics program by providing training and confidential ethics advice to municipal officers and employees, investigating complaints, imposing sanctions, and administering the annual financial disclosure program.

Code of Ethics 6
Standards of conduct set forth in Article 18 of the General Municipal Law, and in laws adopted by municipalities in local laws (in counties, cities, towns or villages) or in resolutions (in other municipalities). Intended to foster integrity in government, promote public confidence, and help municipal officers and employees to discharge their official duties without fear of unwarranted accusations of unethical conduct.

Recusal

Abstention from deliberating, deciding, or participating in an official matter in which the municipal officer or employee may have a conflict of interest. An abstention from voting will normally function as a “nay” vote since under New York law a municipal body must usually take action by an affirmative vote of a majority of the entire body, including absent members, abstentions, and vacancies.19

Relative 20
A spouse, child, step-child, sibling, or parent of the municipal officer or employee, or a person claimed as a dependent on his or her latest individual state income tax return.

Sanctions
The penalties that a board of ethics may be authorized to impose upon a municipal officer or employee, or other individual or firm, upon a finding that the code of ethics was violated, including fines, restitution, disgorgement of profits, or debarment from doing further business with the municipality.

#1133353 --- 01/15/10 10:47 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Yes, I agree to a point. But these are people we know. These aren't stupid, ignorant, uneducated or unprofessional people at all. We need to deal with the reality of that, too. Is the debated harm being done here... real or perceived?

So, in a nutshell, you support nepotism and selective morality and selective ethics....

#1133355 --- 01/15/10 10:53 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

QUOTE --Mrs. Same's position as Elections Commissioner is not civil service or elected, but she does have a term of office. So, next time she is up for reappointment, perhaps the Democratic Committee can reach outside its limited internal and familial ranks and find a good Seneca County Democrat who could serve in that capacity.

That won't happen - she said she is retiring next year at 65 years old. She will not see another re-appointment request for herself.

Funny how this appointment of her son, CARL, came after the BOS meeting on Tuesday.

This is a DOUBLE - BANGER for the SAME family. Son gets Mothers appointment, mother retires 1 year later, Son gets put up for appointment...BAM - another whole generation of SAME RULE.....

I hope you DEMOCRATS are happy being cut out of any discussion or any jobs by just a few on the Committee.....

If it doesn't suit Ted Young, Ruth and Pete Same and Sue Sauvageau then it doesn't get support or happen.

#1133369 --- 01/15/10 11:15 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ghosts Offline

This is a DOUBLE - BANGER for the SAME family. Son gets Mothers appointment, mother retires 1 year later, Son gets put up for appointment...BAM - another whole generation of SAME RULE.....

You are so astute. Oh, now I see the BIG picture! Setting up for future SAME-O, SAME-0. Keeping up the Family Business . . . assuring the Family Legacy. Seneca County may as well operate like the local hardware store (nothing against the way they operate . . . great family owned business.)

#1133373 --- 01/15/10 11:19 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
Victoria Offline

Same is still the chair of the personnel committee for 2010. It was in the paper this week (Between the Lakes). Just the thing to help grease the wheels for his son's coronation.

#1133383 --- 01/15/10 11:47 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Victoria]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Victoria
Same is still the chair of the personnel committee for 2010. It was in the paper this week (Between the Lakes). Just the thing to help grease the wheels for his son's coronation.

Let's enjoy our royal family, Seneca County. That seems to be the norm for politics . . . grab as much power as you can and hold onto it as long as possible. Long live the King and Queen!

#1133384 --- 01/15/10 11:51 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Ghosts Offline

Oops . . . forgot to Congrat Prince Carl.

#1133388 --- 01/15/10 12:22 PM Re: Nepotism and Dynasty at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Firing's not the main issue, ghosts; hiring is.

Yes, I know. I thought that I stated that pretty clearly in my other multiple postings on this thread.

I know you did. I'm just saying that whether it's hard to fire a relative is really a small issue, in an ethical sense, compared to possible favoritism in hiring.

Not vanishingly small, though. How do you like my title change?

#1133401 --- 01/15/10 12:45 PM Re: Nepotism and Dynasty at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
Ghosts Offline

How do you like my title change?

Title change? Help me out here. Did ya get a promotion or something?

Although I don’t agree with them 100%, I do enjoy your changing “Signatures.” I especially like your current signature. Personally, I have others that I can relate to for my own personal Signature, but this one seems suitable for me in this place in time.

Edited by Ghosts (01/15/10 01:10 PM)

#1133405 --- 01/15/10 01:07 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
oldmedic Offline

QUOTE --Mrs. Same's position as Elections Commissioner is not civil service or elected, but she does have a term of office. So, next time she is up for reappointment, perhaps the Democratic Committee can reach outside its limited internal and familial ranks and find a good Seneca County Democrat who could serve in that capacity.

That won't happen - she said she is retiring next year at 65 years old. She will not see another re-appointment request for herself.

Funny how this appointment of her son, CARL, came after the BOS meeting on Tuesday.

I hope you DEMOCRATS are happy being cut out of any discussion or any jobs by just a few on the Committee.....

If it doesn't suit Ted Young, Ruth and Pete Same and Sue Sauvageau then it doesn't get support or happen.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!

#1133408 --- 01/15/10 01:17 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: oldmedic]
Ghosts Offline

NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!

Okay, we're mostly ALL with/behind you . . . D & R's alike (Yes, I have freinds from both sides.) Whatcha gonna do?

#1133411 --- 01/15/10 01:21 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Greymane Offline

Almost as disturbing as the act itself is the obvious arrogance that nothing wrong has been done.

#1133412 --- 01/15/10 01:24 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Greymane]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Greymane
Almost as disturbing as the act itself is the obvious arrogance that nothing wrong has been done.

Yep. I agree.

#1133413 --- 01/15/10 01:28 PM Re: Nepotism and Dynasty at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

How do you like my title change?

Title change? Help me out here. Did ya get a promotion or something?

Although I don’t agree with them 100%, I do enjoy your changing “Signatures.” I especially like your current signature. Personally, I have others that I can relate to for my own personal Signature, but this one seems suitable for me in this place in time.

Look at the title at the top of this post.

#1133414 --- 01/15/10 01:32 PM Re: Nepotism and Dynasty at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
Ghosts Offline

Quote:
VM Smith
Look at the title at the top of this post.

Yeah . . . I like it! Okay, you found me out. I'm not the sharpest tack in the tool box. Actually, I usually wear a contact for reading, but the last two days, I've had to switch to reading glasses. It's like a different world . . . lol. Wonder what else I've missed?

#1133416 --- 01/15/10 01:35 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Headless Horseman Offline

Yes. They are the new "Powers that Be."

#1133417 --- 01/15/10 01:42 PM Re: Nepotism and Dynasty at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

LOL! I wore contacts for 42 years, but gave them up last year. Instead of using reading glasses over contacts, I now just take my glasses off to read. I sometimes serve as a "designated reader" for my friends of similar age who have left their readers home....

What really caused the switch is that my astigmatism worsened to the point where I really needed toric lenses, and that increased the price of disposable contacts by about 4x.

#1133419 --- 01/15/10 01:49 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Headless Horseman]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Headless Horseman

Yes. They are the new "Powers that Be."

Funny how they bashed AB and now it surfaces as to mode of operation that has been going on for years. They should thank AB for taking the spotlight off of them!

#1133422 --- 01/15/10 01:57 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
sookie Offline

Loc: ?

Ya, I am sure he is capable of working in the elections office for his mama, after all, he has plenty of experience, doesnt he?
NOT

#1134018 --- 01/17/10 07:12 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: sookie]
Bogie Offline

Loc: Spade & Archer
Originally Posted By: sookie

Ya, I am sure he is capable of working in the elections office for his mama, after all, he has plenty of experience, doesnt he?
NOT

Hmmm,...just curious.
What are his qualifications?
Does he have a day job??

#1134085 --- 01/17/10 11:01 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? *DELETED* [Re: little owl]
reddocer Offline

Loc: NY
Post deleted by FL1 Staff

#1134106 --- 01/17/10 11:47 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: reddocer]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

This assures anyone who (Democrat) wanted to run for office that did not because of the Democratic Elections Office keeps the way things will be for a long time.

I bet Carly doesn't last long.

#1134109 --- 01/17/10 11:57 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? *DELETED* [Re: reddocer]
Bogie Offline

Loc: Spade & Archer
Post deleted by FL1 Staff

#1134115 --- 01/17/10 12:06 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Bogie]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

or in the Village turned Town jobs after dissolution

#1134220 --- 01/17/10 05:34 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Hank Moody Offline

If mommy Same retires next year will the democratic committee be ready to recommend someone new to the County Board of Supervisors or will Carl Same get mommy's title and a raise?

How much does mommy Same make anyway?

#1134223 --- 01/17/10 05:49 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

"I have NO personal animus against anyone in the family."

Same here. I wouldn't know her if I saw her, and have never spent much time thinking about her, or her job, mostly because I'm neither democrat nor republican, I guess.

I would be completely disgusted with ANYONE who made a similar move.

#1134239 --- 01/17/10 07:02 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

....."I wouldn't know her if I saw her,"......

She looks like Ted Youngs Wife

#1134249 --- 01/17/10 08:14 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Don't know her, either.

#1134264 --- 01/17/10 10:05 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Hank Moody]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Loc: Waterfalls NY

If mommy Same retires next year will the democratic committee be ready to recommend someone new to the County Board of Supervisors or will Carl Same get mommy's title and a raise?

How much does mommy Same make anyway?

According to the wage website, Ruth Same makes $47,414 a year for her position in the Board Of Elections. That does not include benefits.

#1134299 --- 01/18/10 01:08 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
it'sme Offline

Loc: USA
Sorry to trim your Nepotism family tree:

Neither Steve nor Valerie Churchill have an Aunt Ruth Same, Uncle Peter Same, or Cousin Carl Same.

#1134340 --- 01/18/10 06:15 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Average Joeeeee]
GiGi Offline

Where can I find this wage site?

#1134374 --- 01/18/10 08:34 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: it'sme]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: it'sme
Sorry to trim your Nepotism family tree:

Neither Steve nor Valerie Churchill have an Aunt Ruth Same, Uncle Peter Same, or Cousin Carl Same.

Answer this - ARE THEY RELATED? YES or NO

#1134379 --- 01/18/10 08:58 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Average Joeeeee Offline

http://www.seethroughny.net/Payrolls/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Above is the site you can find all government employee's wages.

#1134387 --- 01/18/10 09:17 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Average Joeeeee

Eye opening.

#1134398 --- 01/18/10 09:49 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
HarleyBobT Offline

Not bad,$47,414 for a phony job.

#1134399 --- 01/18/10 09:50 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Ghosts Offline

Eye opening.

Just for clarification, my comment was not in reference to any individual’s specific earnings. I’m just amazed at how much information is available online. I believe, if taxes are funding these jobs, public awareness is a good thing.

#1134409 --- 01/18/10 10:24 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Average Joeeeee Offline

If your paycheck comes from tax dollars, it's listed there. It's public information. You maybe surprised by what you find out on that site. I want to say enjoy, but that would not be the correct word to use.

#1134418 --- 01/18/10 11:02 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Ghosts Offline

If your paycheck comes from tax dollars, it's listed there. It's public information. You maybe surprised by what you find out on that site. I want to say enjoy, but that would not be the correct word to use.

Nothing usually surprises me, but the results from a search under "Counties" and "Seneca" made my jaw drop.

#1134424 --- 01/18/10 11:29 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
HarleyBobT Offline

Look at the county and then look at the towns or villages you'll see some people drawing a paycheck from a town or village... now that's sweet.

#1134439 --- 01/18/10 12:31 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: HarleyBobT]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

The First 250 Seneca County Employees by Salary - High to Low

Agency Last, First Pay Basis Rate YTDPay
Seneca Swinehart, Richard $123,700
Seneca Schillaci, Charles $87,626
Seneca Fisher, Frank $82,657
Seneca Sinclair, Suzanne $79,563
Seneca Birmingham, Margaret $78,842
Seneca La Vigne, Scott $78,090
Seneca Sinicropi, Frank $77,547
Seneca Swinehart, Vickie $75,610
Seneca Mc Cormick, Jason $75,144
Seneca Grace, Mary $74,260
Seneca Mirras, Michael $74,103
Seneca Sciotti, Nicholas $73,483
Seneca Mashewske, David $72,833
Seneca Ryrko, Dieter $72,329
Seneca Fay, Brian $70,515
Seneca Conlon, Matthew $68,001
Seneca Dickenson, Douglas $65,939
Seneca Gates, Roy $65,737
Seneca Reardon, Angela $63,997
Seneca Schell, Michael $63,825
Seneca Sinkiewicz, Mark $62,756
Seneca Kuryla, Thomas $62,701
Seneca Bastian, James $62,399
Seneca Sawall, Mary $62,179
Seneca Terry Jr, David $61,484
Seneca Bethel, Shirley $59,857
Seneca Koopman, Amy $58,977
Seneca Cleere, John $58,715
Seneca Maleski, Charles $58,052
Seneca Lotz, Christina $57,823
Seneca Bordeau, Wilfred $57,475
Seneca Thompson Jr, Timothy $57,463
Seneca Dwello, Michael $57,447
Seneca Flynn, Maryjo $57,055
Seneca Hammond, Susan $56,755
Seneca Spike, James $56,548
Seneca Van Cleef, Louis $56,334
Seneca Rhinehart, Michael $56,154
Seneca Rappleye, James $56,047
Seneca Keefe, Gregory $55,848
Seneca Ward, Roger $55,751
Seneca Eldredge, Frank $55,693
Seneca Mc Cann, Charles $55,158
Seneca Mulheron, Thomas $54,920
Seneca Goodman, Kipp $54,885
Seneca Verkey, Matthew $54,736
Seneca Bilancini, Joseph $54,710
Seneca Hara, Abraham $54,554
Seneca Aldrich, David $54,479
Seneca Borland, Donald $54,465
Seneca Turner, Marylou $54,099
Seneca Halsey, John $54,045
Seneca Deal, Jason $53,467
Seneca Smith, Toni $53,120
Seneca Ryan, Sara $52,283
Seneca Lahr, Robert $52,026
Seneca King, Christopher $51,640
Seneca Karlsen, William $51,520
Seneca Merrill, Allan $51,277
Seneca Stevens, Joseph $50,695
Seneca Whirtley, Michael $50,562
Seneca Rowe, C $50,496
Seneca Swarthout, Cynthia $50,278
Seneca Hilbert, Michael $49,994
Seneca Swick, Linda $49,993
Seneca Snyder, Philip $49,962
Seneca Haynes, Harriet $49,792
Seneca Lee, David $49,348
Seneca Leonard I I I, James $49,245
Seneca Kelley, Francis $49,238
Seneca Castiglione, Thomas $49,080
Seneca Brown, Jo Ann $48,939
Seneca Brewer, Michelle $48,914
Seneca Dressing Jr, Daniel $48,751
Seneca Fowler, John $48,677
Seneca Jensen, Patricia $48,522
Seneca Smithoover, Natalie $47,935
Seneca Fegley, Diana $47,851
Seneca Conkey, James $47,670
Seneca Granger, Cherylyn $47,635
Seneca Same, Ruth $47,414
Seneca Breese, John $47,378
Seneca Bogart, Debra $47,364
Seneca Shafer, John $47,281
Seneca Drumheller Sr, David $47,234
Seneca Campese, Sylvester $47,210
Seneca Pinckney, Sharon $47,178
Seneca Gable Jr, Howard $47,123
Seneca Hoerter, Aldeene $46,991
Seneca Mooney, Joan $46,814
Seneca Swart, Edward $46,786
Seneca Reardon, James $46,603
Seneca Wheeler, Susan $46,543
Seneca Rouse, Edward $46,384
Seneca Scoles, Thomas $46,239
Seneca Reed II, Richard $46,050
Seneca Guthrie, Dale $46,000
Seneca Furano, Christine $45,741
Seneca Smith, Lucille $45,711
Seneca Zettlemoyer, Dale $45,667
Seneca Arcangeli, Tracy $45,608
Seneca Rush, James $45,583
Seneca Dino, John $45,548
Seneca Laskoski, Luke $45,509
Seneca Mc Cann, Randy $45,445
Seneca Brown, Peter $45,419
Seneca Major, Mae $45,388
Seneca Morrell, Patrick $45,152
Seneca Gaydosh, Kenneth $45,138
Seneca Jarrett, Cora $45,128
Seneca Barto, Rose $45,058
Seneca Stinson, Steven $44,958
Seneca Madziarz, Michael $44,919
Seneca Rhinehart, Melanie $44,648
Seneca Kane, Steven $44,552
Seneca Sandroni, Christine $44,552
Seneca Adams, Janice $44,552
Seneca Kierst, Josh $44,548
Seneca Leo, Brady $44,528
Seneca Pfeiffer, Kimberly $44,460
Seneca Stonesifer, David $44,393
Seneca Webb, Stephen $44,319
Seneca Bajdas, Bradley $44,276
Seneca Bennett, Stacey $44,239
Seneca Sauvageau, Sue $44,214
Seneca Scego, Melinda $44,169
Seneca Bennett, Darlene $44,104
Seneca Landis, Dennis $44,096
Seneca Corona, Kathy $43,847
Seneca Boyes, Sandra $43,839
Seneca Osborne, Burl $43,733
Seneca Sibley, Trevor $43,702
Seneca Thomas, Brian $43,597
Seneca Draheim, David $43,575
Seneca Ricci, Stephen $43,304
Seneca Felice, Christopher $43,293
Seneca Lambert, Michael $43,261
Seneca Nesbit II, John $43,234
Seneca Iannone, Michael $43,111
Seneca Bochert, Annette $42,990
Seneca Hoster, Julie $42,772
Seneca Jensen Jr, Robert $42,703
Seneca Farley, John $42,440
Seneca Licak Jr, Joseph $42,410
Seneca Satti, Venkata $42,075
Seneca Russo, Carmina $41,955
Seneca Reynolds II, Carl $41,868
Seneca De Young, Bob $41,812
Seneca Li, Margaret $41,770
Seneca Draheim, Veronica $41,595
Seneca Brown, Christine $41,487
Seneca Del Papa, Kristin $41,060
Seneca Mc Culloch Jr, Donald $41,053
Seneca Costantino, Sharon $41,033
Seneca Judson, Stephanie $40,970
Seneca Leonard, Michele $40,803
Seneca White, Scott $40,784
Seneca Albro, Eric $40,697
Seneca Pringle, Michael $40,571
Seneca Stein, Colleen $40,362
Seneca Cooley, Tina $40,338
Seneca Gilmartin, Joshua $40,062
Seneca Galgano, Daniel $39,920
Seneca Foster, Connie $39,910
Seneca Stanistreet, Lynda $39,904
Seneca Gobe, Brett $39,837
Seneca Vergamini, Thomas $39,704
Seneca Vaughn, John $39,644
Seneca Van Auken, Kerry $39,384
Seneca Lisk, Patricia $39,316
Seneca Tanner, James $39,305
Seneca Venturino, Anthony $39,267
Seneca Stannard, Dale $39,188
Seneca Steen, Francis $39,167
Seneca Gravina, John $39,163
Seneca Mc Cann, Bryan $39,080
Seneca Anastasio, Donna $39,065
Seneca Wanner, Tiffany $39,027
Seneca Stuck, Cindy $38,990
Seneca Mac Connell, Elizabeth $38,968
Seneca Farr, Mary $38,896
Seneca Donlon-Landschoot, Sandra $38,892
Seneca Schweitz, Gary $38,693
Seneca Granger, Melissa $38,679
Seneca Alberti, Brian $38,660
Seneca Stein, Larry $38,470
Seneca O'Neill, Timothy $38,345
Seneca Jensen, David $38,343
Seneca Campanello, Mario $38,276
Seneca Doty, Randy $38,240
Seneca Williamson, Timothy $38,238
Seneca Trout, William $38,115
Seneca West, Paul $38,079
Seneca Relyea, Nicole $38,058
Seneca Soules, James $37,985
Seneca Chambers, Brian $37,694
Seneca Acquilano, Steven $37,691
Seneca Deal, Christine $37,455
Seneca Miller, Amanda $37,348
Seneca Sherlock, Timothy $37,348
Seneca Borys, Michael $37,263
Seneca Shaffer, Charles $37,212
Seneca Thomas, Tyrone $37,147
Seneca Patsos, Deborah $37,141
Seneca Lewis, David $37,110
Seneca Mc Grimley, Deborah $37,076
Seneca Sherman, John $36,905
Seneca Hall, Shawn $36,722
Seneca Canfield, Kenneth $36,649
Seneca Reed, Elizabeth $36,624
Seneca Struzyk, Shawn $36,389
Seneca Freier, Calvin $36,260
Seneca Schreier, Sonya $36,257
Seneca Rickerson, Debra $36,219
Seneca Batman, Paul $36,193
Seneca Heusler, Michael $36,155
Seneca Mahoney, Patricia $36,136
Seneca Vrabel, John $36,111
Seneca Durso, Teri $36,095
Seneca Stawasz, Theresa $36,082
Seneca Laskoski, Jenette $36,068
Seneca Goodison, Jennifer $35,998
Seneca Burleson, Scott $35,919
Seneca Fratto, Carmen $35,797
Seneca Nabinger, John $35,579
Seneca Cassalia, Donald $35,561
Seneca Granger, Laura $35,502
Seneca Worden, Jolynn $35,417
Seneca Aldrich, Marilyn $35,411
Seneca Farnsworth, Steven $35,296
Seneca Hennessy, John $35,292
Seneca Burcroff, Lorelei $35,221
Seneca Rouse, Loree $35,184
Seneca Tomkins, Brian $35,155
Seneca Lagana, Amy $34,982
Seneca Warne, Susan $34,946
Seneca Ventura, Amy $34,670
Seneca Mc Cann, Barbara $34,626
Seneca Bennett, Kenneth $34,590
Seneca Castiglione, Beth $34,254
Seneca Von Hahmann, Milt $33,975
Seneca Larson, Antoinette $33,946
Seneca Roberts, Matthew $33,936
Seneca Vose, Virginia $33,853
Seneca Montgomery, Donna $33,667
Seneca Carr, Barbara $33,604
Seneca Black, Cynthia $33,602
Seneca Alcott, Karslee $33,520
Seneca Haviland, Chad $33,509
Seneca De Vay, Katherine $33,404

#1134441 --- 01/18/10 12:43 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

The next 169 employees out of a total of 419 Employees

Seneca Greene, Tracy $33,311
Seneca Nicandri, Tracy $33,304
Seneca Mills, Kathleen $33,304
Seneca Dunlap Bowen, Kerri-Ann $32,911
Seneca Stuck, Robert $32,844
Seneca Mateo, Donna $32,819
Seneca O Brien, Thomas $32,757
Seneca French, Lawrence $32,723
Seneca Huff, Jeremy $32,626
Seneca Doeing, Gina $32,538
Seneca Mulheron, Dawn $32,380
Seneca Walker, Cheryl $32,233
Seneca De Stefano, Mary $32,037
Seneca Dressing, Wendy $31,920
Seneca Shadman, Connie $31,890
Seneca Lang, Mary $31,714
Seneca Mattoon, Cathie $31,456
Seneca Trible, Susan $31,015
Seneca Kinsky, Mary $30,987
Seneca Kelleher, Mary $30,987
Seneca Leather, Sherry $30,985
Seneca Peterson, Rebecca $30,861
Seneca Radder, Cynthia $30,769
Seneca Gabriel, James $30,769
Seneca Bells, Marie $30,664
Seneca Bates, Jennifer $30,664
Seneca Stein, Kathie $30,631
Seneca Cunningham, Carol $30,631
Seneca Mansell, Brandi $30,608
Seneca Orlopp, Kerry $30,580
Seneca Traver, Dianne $30,447
Seneca Bourne, Patricia $30,203
Seneca Peterson, Kathryn $30,195
Seneca Sosnowski, Carolyn $30,184
Seneca Worrell, Jessica $30,156
Seneca Benoit, Jessica $30,077
Seneca Fulkerson, Mary $29,979
Seneca Orlando, A $29,836
Seneca Besley, Kevin $29,749
Seneca Lesinski, Mary $29,737
Seneca Wadhams, Gregory $29,672
Seneca Kiessling, Katherine $29,633
Seneca Thorpe, Jennifer $29,388
Seneca Black, Melissa $29,275
Seneca Alaimo, Stephen $29,228
Seneca Povero, Adrienne $29,137
Seneca Derleth, Blossom $29,134
Seneca Velez-Anderson, Nancey $29,129
Seneca Bourne, Kathryn $28,719
Seneca Di Lallo, Debra $28,557
Seneca Felice, Carla $28,235
Seneca Excell, Kathleen $28,135
Seneca Williams, Lisa $28,135
Seneca O'Connors, John $28,022
Seneca Poormon, Bradley $28,008
Seneca Horton, Susan $27,712
Seneca Cook, Susan $27,712
Seneca Exner, Marlene $27,382
Seneca Porter, Kevin $27,376
Seneca Connolly, Patrick $27,156
Seneca Brown, Kathleen $26,862
Seneca Mc Gough, Laura $26,308
Seneca Saunders, Susan $26,279
Seneca Maher, Rhonda $26,081
Seneca Lanphear, Jason $25,852
Seneca Zukowski, Martha $25,715
Seneca Westfall, Tina $25,542
Seneca Hamilton, Mary $25,428
Seneca Arnott, Veronica $25,428
Seneca Roe, Nancy $25,428
Seneca Haws, Sarah $25,391
Seneca Ball, Bobbie $25,298
Seneca Carson, Heather $25,129
Seneca Lindon, Lisa $25,122
Seneca Merkley, Katherine $25,122
Seneca Thompson, Joni $24,542
Seneca Daino, Judith $24,137
Seneca Crowe, Tammy $23,152
Seneca Talomie, Kim $23,097
Seneca Gillett, Beth $23,092
Seneca Rhinehart, Laurel $22,609
Seneca Doty, Lizabeth $22,580
Seneca Wilson, Kathy $22,569
Seneca Briggs, Glenn $22,235
Seneca Reynolds, Lisa $22,155
Seneca Cook, Julie $21,995
Seneca Chechak, James $21,467
Seneca Robson, Allissa $21,144
Seneca Brown, Tonja $21,117
Seneca Updyke, Gerald $20,766
Seneca Haust, Lee $20,729
Seneca McBride, Barbara $18,716
Seneca Say, Zina $18,463
Seneca Karlsen, Michael $17,469
Seneca Piscitelli, Maria $17,468
Seneca Baldwin, Jill $16,617
Seneca West, Rochelle $15,353
Seneca Graham, Shane $15,348
Seneca Nolan, Joyce $14,953
Seneca Craig, Teresa $14,872
Seneca Harasta, Andrea $14,505
Seneca Marquart, Jean $14,375
Seneca Black, Brenda $14,136
Seneca Hudson, William $13,879
Seneca Spinner, Penny $13,793
Seneca Johnson, Cindy $13,712
Seneca Martens, Lucien $13,687
Seneca Hilbert, Mary $13,610
Seneca Van Gee, Shawn $13,403
Seneca Dorozan, Mirjana $13,224
Seneca Wren, Kristine $13,039
Seneca Barto, Edward $12,481
Seneca Delong, Cindy $12,274
Seneca O'Neil, Daniel $12,245
Seneca White, Tim $11,870
Seneca Kelley, Deborah $11,470
Seneca Benjamin, Bonnie $11,327
Seneca Morabito, John $11,186
Seneca Butts, Marylouise $10,907
Seneca Irwin, Patricia $10,525
Seneca Podufalski, Stanley $10,297
Seneca Shipley Jr, Robert $10,252
Seneca Hayssen, Robert $10,252
Seneca Same, Peter $10,252
Seneca Reynolds, Michael $10,252
Seneca Kaiser, David $10,252
Seneca Dresser, David $10,252
Seneca Westfall, Gary $10,252
Seneca Russ, Ali $10,231
Seneca Wilson, Samuel $10,225
Seneca Thorne, Jennifer $9,664
Seneca Krone, Scott $9,502
Seneca Crothers Jr, Harry $8,623
Seneca Prosser, Mary $8,245
Seneca Walawender, Kara $7,928
Seneca Caraballo, Antonio $7,604
Seneca Schwittek, Mary $7,547
Seneca Howard, Tiffany $7,330
Seneca Soda Jr, Donald $7,212
Seneca Craig, Sandra $7,199
Seneca Persing Jr, Miles $6,796
Seneca Briggs, Nicole $6,573
Seneca Di Duro, Stephen $6,459
Seneca Bell, Daniel $6,314
Seneca Morabito, Melanie $6,191
Seneca Warne, Stanley $6,134
Seneca Guererri, Charles $5,844
Seneca Kastenhuber, Susan $5,632
Seneca Atkin, Jillian $4,999
Seneca Sepe, Yvonne $4,813
Seneca Killeleagh, Melissa $3,959
Seneca Ciancaglini, David $3,941
Seneca Jenkins, Stephen $3,890
Seneca Cirillo, Virginia $3,890
Seneca Knarr, Rosarie $3,779
Seneca Henninger, Steven $3,401
Seneca Barton, Phyllis $2,838
Seneca Sholly, Kevin $2,576
Seneca Ferguson, Ellen $2,434
Seneca Reynolds, Wendy $2,200
Seneca Lewis, Shirley $2,144
Seneca Ganser, Susan $1,880
Seneca Kooi, Pang $1,115
Seneca Smith, David $1,007
Seneca Hulslander, Lynnette $569
Seneca Langlois, Adam $0
Seneca Daggett, Elaine $0
Seneca Mascari, Robert $0
Seneca Novack, Monica $0

#1134461 --- 01/18/10 03:10 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
little owl Offline

How can you decipher which jobs are salary(non union) and which jobs are county?

#1134479 --- 01/18/10 04:58 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: little owl]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

All jobs on the lists are county.

#1134484 --- 01/18/10 05:14 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: VM Smith]
little owl Offline

Yeah, but which ones do you have to take civil test for? I think that the management ones are appointed. right?

#1134554 --- 01/18/10 08:26 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: little owl]
Code Red Offline

Loc: Out of my mind....
Wow some of the sheriff's dept are right up there.

#1134568 --- 01/18/10 08:52 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Code Red]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Some have made a good life at ol' Seneca County.

Tier 1 and 2 people will be set for life.

Some just don't know when to get out, even with dirty hands

#1134762 --- 01/19/10 10:37 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ghosts Offline

The First 250 Seneca County Employees by Salary - High to Low

Seneca Swinehart, Richard $123,700
Seneca Schillaci, Charles $87,626
Seneca Fisher, Frank $82,657
Seneca Sinclair, Suzanne $79,563
Seneca Birmingham, Margaret $78,842
Seneca La Vigne, Scott $78,090
Seneca Sinicropi, Frank $77,547
Seneca Swinehart, Vickie $75,610
Seneca Mc Cormick, Jason $75,144
Seneca Grace, Mary $74,260
Seneca Mirras, Michael $74,103
Seneca Sciotti, Nicholas $73,483
Seneca Mashewske, David $72,833
Seneca Ryrko, Dieter $72,329
Seneca Fay, Brian $70,515
Seneca Conlon, Matthew $68,001
Seneca Dickenson, Douglas $65,939
Seneca Gates, Roy $65,737
Seneca Reardon, Angela $63,997
Seneca Schell, Michael $63,825
Seneca Sinkiewicz, Mark $62,756
Seneca Kuryla, Thomas $62,701
Seneca Bastian, James $62,399
Seneca Sawall, Mary $62,179
Seneca Terry Jr, David $61,484
Seneca Bethel, Shirley $59,857
Seneca Koopman, Amy $58,977
Seneca Cleere, John $58,715
Seneca Maleski, Charles $58,052
Seneca Lotz, Christina $57,823
Seneca Bordeau, Wilfred $57,475
Seneca Thompson Jr, Timothy $57,463
Seneca Dwello, Michael $57,447
Seneca Flynn, Maryjo $57,055
Seneca Hammond, Susan $56,755
Seneca Spike, James $56,548
Seneca Van Cleef, Louis $56,334
Seneca Rhinehart, Michael $56,154
Seneca Rappleye, James $56,047
Seneca Keefe, Gregory $55,848
Seneca Ward, Roger $55,751
Seneca Eldredge, Frank $55,693
Seneca Mc Cann, Charles $55,158
Seneca Mulheron, Thomas $54,920
Seneca Goodman, Kipp $54,885
Seneca Verkey, Matthew $54,736
Seneca Bilancini, Joseph $54,710
Seneca Hara, Abraham $54,554
Seneca Aldrich, David $54,479
Seneca Borland, Donald $54,465
Seneca Turner, Marylou $54,099
Seneca Halsey, John $54,045
Seneca Deal, Jason $53,467
Seneca Smith, Toni $53,120
Seneca Ryan, Sara $52,283
Seneca Lahr, Robert $52,026
Seneca King, Christopher $51,640
Seneca Karlsen, William $51,520
Seneca Merrill, Allan $51,277
Seneca Stevens, Joseph $50,695
Seneca Whirtley, Michael $50,562
Seneca Rowe, C $50,496
Seneca Swarthout, Cynthia $50,278
Seneca Hilbert, Michael $49,994
Seneca Swick, Linda $49,993
Seneca Snyder, Philip $49,962
Seneca Haynes, Harriet $49,792
Seneca Lee, David $49,348
Seneca Leonard I I I, James $49,245
Seneca Kelley, Francis $49,238
Seneca Castiglione, Thomas $49,080
Seneca Brown, Jo Ann $48,939
Seneca Brewer, Michelle $48,914
Seneca Dressing Jr, Daniel $48,751
Seneca Fowler, John $48,677
Seneca Jensen, Patricia $48,522
Seneca Smithoover, Natalie $47,935
Seneca Fegley, Diana $47,851
Seneca Conkey, James $47,670
Seneca Granger, Cherylyn $47,635
Seneca Same, Ruth $47,414
Seneca Breese, John $47,378
Seneca Bogart, Debra $47,364
Seneca Shafer, John $47,281
Seneca Drumheller Sr, David $47,234
Seneca Campese, Sylvester $47,210
Seneca Pinckney, Sharon $47,178
Seneca Gable Jr, Howard $47,123
Seneca Hoerter, Aldeene $46,991
Seneca Mooney, Joan $46,814
Seneca Swart, Edward $46,786
Seneca Reardon, James $46,603
Seneca Wheeler, Susan $46,543
Seneca Rouse, Edward $46,384
Seneca Scoles, Thomas $46,239
Seneca Reed II, Richard $46,050
Seneca Guthrie, Dale $46,000
Seneca Furano, Christine $45,741
Seneca Smith, Lucille $45,711
Seneca Zettlemoyer, Dale $45,667
Seneca Arcangeli, Tracy $45,608
Seneca Rush, James $45,583
Seneca Dino, John $45,548
Seneca Laskoski, Luke $45,509
Seneca Mc Cann, Randy $45,445
Seneca Brown, Peter $45,419
Seneca Major, Mae $45,388
Seneca Morrell, Patrick $45,152
Seneca Gaydosh, Kenneth $45,138
Seneca Jarrett, Cora $45,128
Seneca Barto, Rose $45,058
Seneca Stinson, Steven $44,958
Seneca Madziarz, Michael $44,919
Seneca Rhinehart, Melanie $44,648
Seneca Kane, Steven $44,552
Seneca Sandroni, Christine $44,552
Seneca Adams, Janice $44,552
Seneca Kierst, Josh $44,548
Seneca Leo, Brady $44,528
Seneca Pfeiffer, Kimberly $44,460
Seneca Stonesifer, David $44,393
Seneca Webb, Stephen $44,319
Seneca Bajdas, Bradley $44,276
Seneca Bennett, Stacey $44,239
Seneca Sauvageau, Sue $44,214
Seneca Scego, Melinda $44,169
Seneca Bennett, Darlene $44,104
Seneca Landis, Dennis $44,096
Seneca Corona, Kathy $43,847
Seneca Boyes, Sandra $43,839
Seneca Osborne, Burl $43,733
Seneca Sibley, Trevor $43,702
Seneca Thomas, Brian $43,597
Seneca Draheim, David $43,575
Seneca Ricci, Stephen $43,304
Seneca Felice, Christopher $43,293
Seneca Lambert, Michael $43,261
Seneca Nesbit II, John $43,234
Seneca Iannone, Michael $43,111
Seneca Bochert, Annette $42,990
Seneca Hoster, Julie $42,772
Seneca Jensen Jr, Robert $42,703
Seneca Farley, John $42,440
Seneca Licak Jr, Joseph $42,410
Seneca Satti, Venkata $42,075
Seneca Russo, Carmina $41,955
Seneca Reynolds II, Carl $41,868
Seneca De Young, Bob $41,812
Seneca Li, Margaret $41,770
Seneca Draheim, Veronica $41,595
Seneca Brown, Christine $41,487
Seneca Del Papa, Kristin $41,060
Seneca Mc Culloch Jr, Donald $41,053
Seneca Costantino, Sharon $41,033
Seneca Judson, Stephanie $40,970
Seneca Leonard, Michele $40,803
Seneca White, Scott $40,784
Seneca Albro, Eric $40,697
Seneca Pringle, Michael $40,571
Seneca Stein, Colleen $40,362
Seneca Cooley, Tina $40,338
Seneca Gilmartin, Joshua $40,062
Seneca Galgano, Daniel $39,920
Seneca Foster, Connie $39,910
Seneca Stanistreet, Lynda $39,904
Seneca Gobe, Brett $39,837
Seneca Vergamini, Thomas $39,704
Seneca Vaughn, John $39,644
Seneca Van Auken, Kerry $39,384
Seneca Lisk, Patricia $39,316
Seneca Tanner, James $39,305
Seneca Venturino, Anthony $39,267
Seneca Stannard, Dale $39,188
Seneca Steen, Francis $39,167
Seneca Gravina, John $39,163
Seneca Mc Cann, Bryan $39,080
Seneca Anastasio, Donna $39,065
Seneca Wanner, Tiffany $39,027
Seneca Stuck, Cindy $38,990
Seneca Mac Connell, Elizabeth $38,968
Seneca Farr, Mary $38,896
Seneca Donlon-Landschoot, Sandra $38,892
Seneca Schweitz, Gary $38,693
Seneca Granger, Melissa $38,679
Seneca Alberti, Brian $38,660
Seneca Stein, Larry $38,470
Seneca O'Neill, Timothy $38,345
Seneca Jensen, David $38,343
Seneca Campanello, Mario $38,276
Seneca Doty, Randy $38,240
Seneca Williamson, Timothy $38,238
Seneca Trout, William $38,115
Seneca West, Paul $38,079
Seneca Relyea, Nicole $38,058
Seneca Soules, James $37,985
Seneca Chambers, Brian $37,694
Seneca Acquilano, Steven $37,691
Seneca Deal, Christine $37,455
Seneca Miller, Amanda $37,348
Seneca Sherlock, Timothy $37,348
Seneca Borys, Michael $37,263
Seneca Shaffer, Charles $37,212
Seneca Thomas, Tyrone $37,147
Seneca Patsos, Deborah $37,141
Seneca Lewis, David $37,110
Seneca Mc Grimley, Deborah $37,076
Seneca Sherman, John $36,905
Seneca Hall, Shawn $36,722
Seneca Canfield, Kenneth $36,649
Seneca Reed, Elizabeth $36,624
Seneca Struzyk, Shawn $36,389
Seneca Freier, Calvin $36,260
Seneca Schreier, Sonya $36,257
Seneca Rickerson, Debra $36,219
Seneca Batman, Paul $36,193
Seneca Heusler, Michael $36,155
Seneca Mahoney, Patricia $36,136
Seneca Vrabel, John $36,111
Seneca Durso, Teri $36,095
Seneca Stawasz, Theresa $36,082
Seneca Laskoski, Jenette $36,068
Seneca Goodison, Jennifer $35,998
Seneca Burleson, Scott $35,919
Seneca Fratto, Carmen $35,797
Seneca Nabinger, John $35,579
Seneca Cassalia, Donald $35,561
Seneca Granger, Laura $35,502
Seneca Worden, Jolynn $35,417
Seneca Aldrich, Marilyn $35,411
Seneca Farnsworth, Steven $35,296
Seneca Hennessy, John $35,292
Seneca Burcroff, Lorelei $35,221
Seneca Rouse, Loree $35,184
Seneca Tomkins, Brian $35,155
Seneca Lagana, Amy $34,982
Seneca Warne, Susan $34,946
Seneca Ventura, Amy $34,670
Seneca Mc Cann, Barbara $34,626
Seneca Bennett, Kenneth $34,590
Seneca Castiglione, Beth $34,254
Seneca Von Hahmann, Milt $33,975
Seneca Larson, Antoinette $33,946
Seneca Roberts, Matthew $33,936
Seneca Vose, Virginia $33,853
Seneca Montgomery, Donna $33,667
Seneca Carr, Barbara $33,604
Seneca Black, Cynthia $33,602
Seneca Alcott, Karslee $33,520
Seneca Haviland, Chad $33,509
Seneca De Vay, Katherine $33,404

Hear ye . . . hear ye . . . ALL Seneca County . . . Town & Village . . .

Currently “live “ - Governor Paterson’s 2010 -2011Budget Address:

“Warning that NY is facing an inevitable reckoning.” “Our revenues have crumbled.” “Fiscal discipline starts at home.” “The days of continuous spending has got to end.” “The era of irresponsible has to stop . . . the age of accountability has arrived.”

#1134764 --- 01/19/10 10:39 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: tubby]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Does Seneca County have its own Nancy Pelosi?

#1134767 --- 01/19/10 10:40 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Just think - add up those 400 or so people's salaries and add on 3 percent for a raise.....

We are getting hosed - big time

#1134810 --- 01/19/10 12:09 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Average Joeeeee Offline

Glad I had that website link saved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1137054 --- 01/24/10 12:16 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Average Joeeeee]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

It is revealing. Take a look at the top wage earners and ask if they are truley serving the Taxpayers.

#1507645 --- 10/31/17 09:53 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: newsman38]
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Seneca County Democrats endorse candidates

The committee also voted unanimously to recommend Carl Same to be the party’s election commissioner. His mother, Ruth Same, will retire later this year after serving for three years as deputy election commissioner and then election commissioner since 1990.

Carl Same was named deputy commissioner Jan. 2, 2010.

His nomination will now go to the Government Operations Committee of the Board of Supervisors for a vote. If he is approved there, the nomination would go to the full board.

#1507720 --- 10/31/17 06:10 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: newsman38]
Top Dog Offline

Loc: Lap Dog
Hey Newsman, that's the tip of the iceberg in Seneca County. At least nobody is sleeping with anyone this time.

#1507745 --- 10/31/17 07:48 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: newsman38]
Here's Johnny Offline

Loc: New York
No money missing either

#1507765 --- 11/01/17 05:13 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Here's Johnny]
scwoodchuck Offline

Loc: LOST IN SPACE
Originally Posted By: Here's Johnny
No money missing either
That's what you think

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >