FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1132888 --- 01/14/10 03:59 AM Same Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: BrentSame]
Hank Moody Offline

Loc: Seneca County
Originally Posted By: BrentSame
What's unbelievable to me is the fact that you people have nothing better to do than post on this forum. Do you really believe that Ruth would have appointed Carl to this position without knowing the law?
The majority of the comments on this thread are laughable. Lusifer you must have a real busy life. 26,500 posts in the last nine years. Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

How arrogant of this family. Getting their names in the paper for a lot of bad reasons. Nice article by the Fingerlakes Times.
Whats the matter Brent no job lined up for you.

FingerLakes1.com
#1132919 --- 01/14/10 05:37 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
jojotaxpayer Offline

Loc: Ontario County
Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer

Were there job postings? Secret that only Frank Sinicropi knows the answer to - just ask him

Secret. LOL!

The continuing Seneca County follies are entertaining if nothing else.

#1132940 --- 01/14/10 07:18 AM Re: Same Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Hank Moody]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
Originally Posted By: Hank Moody
[quote=BrentSame]How arrogant of this family. Getting their names in the paper for a lot of bad reasons. Nice article by the Fingerlakes Times.
Whats the matter Brent no job lined up for you.

Hey Brent,

The letter of the law is one thing.

Morality and ethics
is another.

This "appointment" of Mother taking Son under her wing is obscene, especially because of the fact there are many more capable Seneca County Democrats that should have been considered for the position. What do people who work for the party or are on the committee think of this slap in the face?

You say the comments are "laughable" - that is what we expect from someone of arrogance and with no scrupples.

Yes, I have been on for 9 years making over 26,000 brilliant posts. A Forum today is a replacement for the grapevine that you are well famililiar with I am sure. Truth, Honesty and the American way is what the Forums can facilitate.

The actions of Mommy and sibling Carl are disgusting. Even evidence of your deletion of your post shows a lack of esteem.

Edited by FL1 Staff (01/14/10 08:21 AM)

#1132941 --- 01/14/10 07:20 AM Re: Same Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

He lives in Geneva and plans to move to Seneca Falls.

Not even a Seneca County Resident - how disgusting!

"Plans" - yeah right -

#1132962 --- 01/14/10 09:01 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Originally Posted By: GiGi
That's what this place is all about. They don't care about who they hurt. Your family doesn't have to explain anything. They have always worked extremely hard for this community. This County was built on families helping each other. When our children suffer, we suffer. I see nothing wrong with helping your own children. He can do the job! That's all that matters. Good luck to the Same family.

I personally feel that the Same family truly cares for this area and they do work hard. In this economic situation, if I were in the private sector and an employer, I would be inclined to give my family preferential treatment. I think that’s natural thing to do. That’s why it’s called a “Family Business.”

I also care about my community. We are talking about taxpayer funded jobs. So, my criticism is not of the work they do (although, I do disagree with some if their decisions.) The problem for me is the blatant nepotism. The dictionary defines nepotism as, "favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power (as by giving them jobs)." As a mother and a boss, how could she provide an honest evaluation of her child’s work? If he can do the job . . . great. Let him apply for another position, along with other qualified applicants, to work for someone other then his mother.

I think it’s important that elected officials should promote positive, non-discriminatory, merit-based employment practices. The only way to “fight” back, after an appointment has already been made, it is to post on these types of public forums. If given an opportunity a head of time, some folks will attend meetings and express their concerns. Besides truth based news or web articles, this is the only recourse the public has to address the problem and hopefully put enough pressure to stop the practice. There is nothing wrong with “Watch Dogs.”

#1132998 --- 01/14/10 10:20 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
That is right, Ghosts....BLATANT NEPOTISM. Brent, if your family can't see the reasons that people would object to this, that is EXACTLY the reason your family should not be in politics in this county. But, hey, I am a conservative by nature, so if the Democratic party wants to pour gasoline all over itself, I will gladly bring the torch and we will have a ball.

#1133035 --- 01/14/10 11:45 AM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Greymane]
Paver007 Offline

Loc: under your foot
Don't think for a minute that Democrat head Teddy didn't endorse this blatent move of nepotism 100% !! He comments constantly about the Republicans practices but he is no better and he shows proof of it everyday!! THis guy is on a such an Ego Trip it is enough to make one VOMIT!

#1133043 --- 01/14/10 12:06 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Paver007]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Paver007
Don't think for a minute that Democrat head Teddy didn't endorse this blatent move of nepotism 100% !! He comments constantly about the Republicans practices but he is no better and he shows proof of it everyday!! THis guy is on a such an Ego Trip it is enough to make one VOMIT!

I didn’t intend for my posts to side with nor bash one political party or the other. My emphasis is on using common sense and doing the right thing for the people you represent. I gave up on my life-long political party affiliation a few years back. With age, comes wisdom. Neither big box party represents me anymore. Being a self-avowed and proud “Tea Bagger”, I believe that most of our local politicians take their cues from higher levels of government. I have seen unsavory practices and huge ego trips from both parties . . . at local, state and federal levels. In my opinion, it’s all a big, nasty, mess of a dirty “business” . . . making me want to vomit on a daily basis.

#1133105 --- 01/14/10 05:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
little owl Offline

Loc: seneca county
What I find hard to believe is that they appear to be surprised that people are irritated by this move! It takes GALL to do this and then sit back and wonder why some people will view this as improper on ALL levels. Just a newbies opinion!

#1133115 --- 01/14/10 05:48 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: little owl]
tubby Offline

Loc: N.Y.
This is incredible I haven't read the seneca county forums for a while I guess as far as politics goes not much has changed, isn't there a new realty show in here some where ?

#1133119 --- 01/14/10 05:54 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: little owl]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: little owl
What I find hard to believe is that they appear to be surprised that people are irritated by this move! It takes GALL to do this and then sit back and wonder why some people will view this as improper on ALL levels. Just a newbies opinion!

Welcome little owl! Thank you for taking the time to post.

I’m certain that our responses, to this appointment, were exactly what they expected. If not, their political game skills need sharpening.

Not just with this incident, but the politicians (D & R) have the “gall” because there is no fear of consequences. Many of us grumble, yell, scream, post, write, call, and speak out in meetings, which may upset “them” temporarily, but it doesn’t bother them enough to change their ways. They know that given time that the whole thing will “blow over.”

I have lost all trust and confidence in any level of government. As stated before, our local government just emulates the higher levels. Hopefully, people are waking up and speaking up and voting as individuals and not as party hacks. Let the politicians know that there CAN BE consequences.

#1133124 --- 01/14/10 06:19 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
little owl Offline

Loc: seneca county
Maybe Im just being too hard on them. Besides, it appears he is a qualified candidate. Dont know what in the world he did at Disney that gives him qualifications, but Im sure that TICKET TAKER(or whatever he did there) somehow fits his current job duties. I'm AMAZED. $32000/per year. Where do I sign up?

#1133135 --- 01/14/10 06:47 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: newsman38]
GiGi Offline

Loc: Seneca
Well, nepotism certainly is NOT illegal! You can't really dictate ethics or morality because it is not that cut and dried. What is ethical and moral for one, may not be for another...The County needs to have a policy against nepotism if people feel that strongly about it. As far as I know, they don't. If they did, they would have to grandfather in an awful lot of people. Small towns seem to have this problem a lot. Do we really want to go there?

Barb and Ruth were like sisters and were best friends. They grew up together. I am told that relationship did not interfere with day to day business. Ruth is enough of a professional to handle it. Just because some people can't do it, doesn't mean it wouldn't work here. It was her choice and like it or not, it is her RIGHT to name whoever she wants...that's the law!

#1133142 --- 01/14/10 07:02 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
Well, nepotism certainly is NOT illegal! You can't really dictate ethics or morality because it is not that cut and dried. What is ethical and moral for one, may not be for another...The County needs to have a policy against nepotism if people feel that strongly about it. As far as I know, they don't. If they did, they would have to grandfather in an awful lot of people. Small towns seem to have this problem a lot. Do we really want to go there?

Barb and Ruth were like sisters and were best friends. They grew up together. I am told that relationship did not interfere with day to day business. Ruth is enough of a professional to handle it. Just because some people can't do it, doesn't mean it wouldn't work here. It was her choice and like it or not, it is her RIGHT to name whoever she wants...that's the law!
Great someone defending nepotism, this isn't Mississippi or is it?

#1133143 --- 01/14/10 07:04 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

You certianly can dictate ethics or morality via personal policy.

It is her RIGHT to name whoever she wants...that's the law! -- That doesn't make it right. Abuse of law and Abuse of power.

#1133159 --- 01/14/10 08:19 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: HarleyBobT]
GiGi Offline

If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have principals, superintendents, bus drivers, custodians, office workers and teachers related to each other and working at the schools? Gee, the schools seem to run just fine. If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have such great family run business in our town? Nepotism, like anything else, can be abused if left in the hands of the ignorant and corrupt. Professionals do not worry about it (please underline professionals). Again, in small, small communities like ours, it is impossible to avoid it. If we follow your line of reasoning, then other people should raise our own kids for us. According to some,we couldn't possibly be objective and responsible parents solely because we are related. HOGWASH and you know it!

#1133161 --- 01/14/10 08:21 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

You see, it’s that thought process, attitude and arrogance that truly irks me. Just because it’s legal doesn’t make it right. I cannot believe that we have individuals, holding public office, that can accept nepotism as ethical. This is just another example of why many people do not trust our government. Again, we're not talking about a family business.

Do we have to have to adopt a resolution banning nepotism in order for our these folks understand that it’s just plain wrong? Really?

Here is an excerpt from an article that I would recommend for you . . . or anyone that finds nepotism, in public office, acceptable :

Favoritism, Cronyism, and Nepotism - By Judy Nadler and Miriam Schulman

What do favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism have to do with ethics?

One of the most basic themes in ethics is fairness, stated this way by Artistotle: "Equals should be treated equally and unequals unequally." Favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism all interfere with fairness because they give undue advantage to someone who does not necessarily merit this treatment.

In the public sphere, favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism also undermine the common good. When someone is granted a position because of connections rather than because he or she has the best credentials and experience, the service that person renders to the public may be inferior.

Also, because favoritism is often covert (few elected officials are foolish enough to show open partiality to friends, and family), this practice undercuts the transparency that should be part of governmental hiring and contracting processes.

Complete article can be found at:

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicing/focusareas/government_ethics/introduction/cronyism.html

Edited by Ghosts (01/14/10 08:23 PM)

#1133165 --- 01/14/10 08:27 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

If nepotism is so bad, then why do we have principals, superintendents, bus drivers, custodians, office workers and teachers related to each other and working at the schools?

Granted, it's a small area and relatives and friends are bound to work together. Did those other folks compete for those jobs? Were they the best qualified for those jobs? Did everyone get an opportunity to apply for those jobs? I could go on and on. I think you get the drift.

#1133169 --- 01/14/10 08:37 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: GiGi]
Ghosts Offline

Professionals do not worry about it (please underline professionals).

At least one person, on this professional's committee, was advised of this appointment, via a letter (Notice that I underlined professional.) Now, may I ask . . . how professional was that?

#1133171 --- 01/14/10 08:41 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
GiGi Offline

A lot of high-brow hooey! Is it possible that this young man is qualified and will do a great job? Is there an assumption here that everyone will abuse employment protocol all the time? I fail to see the ethical and moral grandeur in that kind of thinking.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >