FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1132642 --- 01/13/10 12:04 PM Nepotism at the Elections Office?
newsman38 Offline

Loc: Fourth Estate
Election commissioner chooses son as deputy

WATERLOO ó Ruth V. Same, Seneca Countyís Democratic election commissioner, didnít have to look far in choosing her deputy commissioner.

She has selected her son, Carl J. Same, for the full-time position.

A lifelong Democrat, Carl Same graduated from Mynderse Academy in 1984 and attended the State University College at Delhi to study hotel and restaurant management.

He worked at Disney World and at several other hotels and restaurants in Florida; Atlanta, Ga.; San Francisco; and Syracuse; and currently works at the Red Dove Restaurant in Geneva.

He lives in Geneva and plans to move to Seneca Falls.

The position carries a salary of $32,516 for 2010.

by DAVID L. SHAW/dshaw@fltimes.com
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:51 AM CST

FingerLakes1.com
#1132644 --- 01/13/10 12:06 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: newsman38]
Ghosts Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls
Oh my . . . no Nepotism in this county!

#1132645 --- 01/13/10 12:08 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Loc: No where but here
and so it continues....surprised...I'm not \:\/

#1132649 --- 01/13/10 12:22 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: inside your head & under your ...
So let me get this right.....

Valerie Churchill gets appointed the Tax Collector under Uncle Peter Same for the Town after Valerie's husband Steve Churchill won a close County Board seat in the recent election. Steve Churchill now can vote on Aunt Ruth and cousin Carl's salary and appointments all while being related to Uncle Pete. Now Aunt Ruth is appointing her own son, Carl Same as a deputy Democratic Election Commissioner.....

My head is spinning......

#1132656 --- 01/13/10 12:30 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ghosts Offline

Speaking of smell . . . should we dissolve the Village and the Town and become the "SAME-O-VILLE?"

Okay, I admitted that I am trying to learn and be more informed. Is this a County Job? How is this position funded? Were there job postings? What is the candidate selection process? Was Mrs. Sameís son the only candidate or only qualified candidate for this position? If you donít want to explain and have a link to help me with these questions, please post. Help me to understand.

#1132669 --- 01/13/10 01:05 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

quote=Ghosts]Speaking of smell . . . should we dissolve the Village and the Town and become the "SAME-O-VILLE?"

Okay, I admitted that I am trying to learn and be more informed.

Is this a County Job? YES

How is this position funded? Our County Taxes

Were there job postings? Secret that only Frank Sinicropi knows the answer to - just ask him

What is the candidate selection process? You must be related to a SAME

Was Mrs. Sameís son the only candidate or only qualified candidate for this position? It was over before it was even known a selection had been made

If you donít want to explain and have a link to help me with these questions, please post. Help me to understand. [/quote]

So, an out of County Resident that has done nothing for the Democratic Party gets the position. Good job Democratic Committee - Nice job Teddie

#1132671 --- 01/13/10 01:16 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Ghosts Offline

If your answers are true (for the most part - I have no reason to doubt), by continuing the nepotism, do they have the potential to face a class-action lawsuit because of the a system of chronic cronyism? Could a lawsuit potentially be filed alleging county jobs routinely go to friends and family of county officials without being advertised and the lack of a consistent human resources policy?

I know that someone will write that this has already been tried . . . and failed. Otherwise, why does it so blatantly continue? Just curious.

#1132675 --- 01/13/10 01:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Footstepsabove Offline

ß 3-300. Board employees; appointment.
Every board of elections shall appoint, and at its pleasure remove,
clerks, voting machine technicians, custodians and other employees, fix their
number, prescribe their duties, fix their titles and rank and establish their
salaries within the amounts appropriated therefor by the local legislative body
and shall secure in the appointment of employees of the board of elections
equal representation of the major political parties. Every commissioner in each
board of elections except for commissioners of the board of elections of the
city of New York, may approve and at pleasure remove a deputy, establish his
title and prescribe his duties.
In the city of New York, the board of elections
shall appoint an executive director and a deputy executive director whose
duties it shall be to supervise the operations of the board of elections under the
supervision of such board.

#1132676 --- 01/13/10 01:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Z Genius Lusifer Offline
Diamond Member

Well, the Barto's had a nice deal going as well. So maybe it will be looked into.

#1132677 --- 01/13/10 01:22 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Roadtrip2nowhere Offline

Loc: No where but here
Letter to the editor perhaps?????

#1132679 --- 01/13/10 01:28 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Roadtrip2nowhere]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
This is just crazy. It needs to be stopped.

#1132680 --- 01/13/10 01:42 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Greymane]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
Come on, everyone in Seneca-tucky is related.

#1132684 --- 01/13/10 01:58 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: HarleyBobT]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Not me. I am a transplant. \:\)

#1132691 --- 01/13/10 02:11 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Footstepsabove]
Ghosts Offline

Originally Posted By: Footstepsabove
ß 3-300. Board employees; appointment.
Every board of elections shall appoint, and at its pleasure remove,
clerks, voting machine technicians, custodians and other employees, fix their
number, prescribe their duties, fix their titles and rank and establish their
salaries within the amounts appropriated therefor by the local legislative body
and shall secure in the appointment of employees of the board of elections
equal representation of the major political parties. Every commissioner in each
board of elections except for commissioners of the board of elections of the
city of New York, may approve and at pleasure remove a deputy, establish his
title and prescribe his duties.
In the city of New York, the board of elections
shall appoint an executive director and a deputy executive director whose
duties it shall be to supervise the operations of the board of elections under the
supervision of such board.

Thanks for posting. If Iím understanding correctly, Mrs. Same is in compliance of the NYS Board of Elections Laws. What a relief. I guess its just too much to ask that they would make the slightest attempt to avoid nepotism . . . or even the appearance of nepotism. How can her son feel pride, due to the hard work, to earn that job? Looks like Seneca County is becoming a personal family business.

I think that anyone running in a future Seneca County election would do well to add anti-nepotism to their platform.

#1132694 --- 01/13/10 02:17 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Ghosts]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!! Sinking feeling in my gut.....

WHY IS THIS TOLERATED?

#1132695 --- 01/13/10 02:20 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Greymane]
HarleyBobT Offline

Originally Posted By: Greymane
Not me. I am a transplant. \:\)
ahahahaha.

#1132696 --- 01/13/10 02:23 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Senecamom]
HarleyBobT Offline

Originally Posted By: Senecamom
Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!! Sinking feeling in my gut.....

WHY IS THIS TOLERATED?

I think Mother Same was hoping it would fly under the radar.

#1132697 --- 01/13/10 02:25 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Z Genius Lusifer]
Old Broad Offline

Loc: Whitewater, Ca. USA
Originally Posted By: Z Genius Lusifer
quote=Ghosts]Speaking of smell . . . should we dissolve the Village and the Town and become the "SAME-O-VILLE?"

Okay, I admitted that I am trying to learn and be more informed.

Is this a County Job? YES

How is this position funded? Our County Taxes

Were there job postings? Secret that only Frank Sinicropi knows the answer to - just ask him

What is the candidate selection process? You must be related to a SAME

Was Mrs. Sameís son the only candidate or only qualified candidate for this position? It was over before it was even known a selection had been made

If you donít want to explain and have a link to help me with these questions, please post. Help me to understand.

So, an out of County Resident that has done nothing for the Democratic Party gets the position. Good job Democratic Committee - Nice job Teddie [/quote]

I left Seneca County in 1995, and it still is business as usual.
i guess you have to know someone or be someones' relative in order to get a town or county job. As I said, BUSINESS AS USUAL.

#1132699 --- 01/13/10 02:28 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Old Broad]
Senecamom Offline

Loc: On a journey......
"I left Seneca County in 1995, and it still is business as usual.
i guess you have to know someone or be someones' relative in order to get a town or county job. As I said, BUSINESS AS USUAL." [OldBroad]

This is what scares me more.....

#1132701 --- 01/13/10 02:30 PM Re: Nepotism at the Elections Office? [Re: Old Broad]
oldmedic Offline

Loc: Seneca County
I,m on the County Democratic Committee and I did't know of the appointment till I recieved a letter yesterday from the Mrs. Same!! I only have ONE statement regarding this appointment.........HMMMMM, Why no meeting with the committee? Or how about taking app's?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >