FingerLakes1.com Forums
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#1131722 --- 01/11/10 07:12 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
enda Offline

Loc: ny
I like that...my tax free carton a week is my welfare too. I've been on the books with steady employment for 30 years. As for the weed if I could smoke it and not be drug tested I would, I considered it my "help me tolerate idiots " medicine. I'd rather be on the road with someone who took a few hits than someone who is drunk or high on prescription meds anyday!

FingerLakes1.com
#1131727 --- 01/11/10 07:23 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
kyle585 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Somewhere out there
Originally Posted By: Scottie2Hottie
Originally Posted By: pizza man
yea but there are reasons for it to be legal.

They spend BILLIONS on "the war on drugs" yet one reservation alone in Northern New York was able to process, move, and sell $710 million in marujuana in 10 years time! That's $710 million they could of TAXED.

Legalizing and taxing marujuana the tax revenue alone could balance the NYS budget
Wow you do not even remember what you said the day before, do you?

#1131732 --- 01/11/10 07:50 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: threeputt]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Loc: Ship of Fools
Originally Posted By: threeputt
Originally Posted By: VM Smith
"nicotine is a drug and, BTW, it kills more Americans every year than all illicit drugs"

Not exactly true. Smoking tobacco kills, and there are about 4,000 chemicals in tobacco. The CO, CO2, formaldehyde, mercury, arsenic, smoke particles, tar, etc., etc., etc.. are at least as dangerous as nicotine.

OK, but nicotine is by far the most deadly "chemical" in tobacco. Anyway, you got my point.

Nonsense. I don't think nicotine is anywhere near as dangerous as carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and mercury. I forgot to mention lead-210 and polonium-210, which are radioactive, and thallium and cadmium, the latter being what's dangerous about the plating on those Chinese toys. Don't forget about the roughly 4,000 other chemicals.

If nicotine were all that dangerous, the FDA wouldn't have approved it, in the patch and in gum, for instance.

#1131735 --- 01/11/10 07:59 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: VM Smith]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
S2H, you keep stating that you would rather have (fill in the blank) smoking pot that drunk / hung over. How about neither? Does anyone ever think about having a little self control these days? I smokes pot when I was in college, but I never went to class high and I haven't smoked it since. I drink, but I don't drink to the point of getting drunk, nor do I drink when I am going to drive. Just a thought.

I do agree that we waste too much money and energy that could be better directed on pot. Legalize it and move on to something worth fighting.

#1131738 --- 01/11/10 08:15 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: kyle585]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: aka Brightside
Originally Posted By: kyle585
Originally Posted By: pizza man
yea but there are reasons for it to be legal.

They spend BILLIONS on "the war on drugs" yet one reservation alone in Northern New York was able to process, move, and sell $710 million in marujuana in 10 years time! That's $710 million they could of TAXED.

Legalizing and taxing marujuana the tax revenue alone could balance the NYS budget
Wow you do not even remember what you said the day before, do you?

After it was distributed (off the rez) it could have been taxed

Regardless this is NOT a cigarette/indian/reservation thread ...so please forget I even mention indians or reservations

Note to self: Not allowed to say indian or reservation on FL1 threads without it being taken over!

#1131739 --- 01/11/10 08:17 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Greymane]
Scottie2Hottie Offline
Gold Member

Loc: aka Brightside
Originally Posted By: Greymane
S2H, you keep stating that you would rather have (fill in the blank) smoking pot that drunk / hung over. How about neither? Does anyone ever think about having a little self control these days? I smokes pot when I was in college, but I never went to class high and I haven't smoked it since. I drink, but I don't drink to the point of getting drunk, nor do I drink when I am going to drive. Just a thought.

I do agree that we waste too much money and energy that could be better directed on pot. Legalize it and move on to something worth fighting.

In a perfect world self control would be nice... but I live in the REAL world and know that there is a good chance that won't happen.

Look at the 3 mothers in CNY that have been charged already under the new DWI law that makes it a FELONY to drink and drive with a child in the car...and the law is only less than 3 weeks old!

#1131748 --- 01/11/10 08:43 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
dj205 Offline

Loc: in my mind
Originally Posted By: Greymane

In a perfect world self control would be nice... but I live in the REAL world and know that there is a good chance that won't happen.

Look at the 3 mothers in CNY that have been charged already under the new DWI law that makes it a FELONY to drink and drive with a child in the car...and the law is only less than 3 weeks old!

Isn't being high on Pot an equivelant to DWI? Driving under
the influence of drugs?

#1131752 --- 01/11/10 09:00 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: dj205]
Your Mom Offline

Loc: WATERLOO
every single person on here should probably get a damn life, rather than talking on here for DAYS about something that you all have probably done be4. whether he was busted or not, there are still thousands of millions of people in NEW YORK who grow, sell, & smoke marijuana ILLEGALLY. SO...instead of focusing on THIS topic, go to the damn store, get some more food, & sit on your computer and talk about other things rather than JUST this..or here's a thought, get a damn job and go buy a life. i'm out, peace<3

#1131753 --- 01/11/10 09:05 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Your Mom]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

Originally Posted By: Your Mom
there are still thousands of millions of people in NEW YORK who grow, sell, & smoke marijuana ILLEGALLY.

Uhmnnn.......approximately how many billions in NEW YORK, would you estimate?

#1131758 --- 01/11/10 09:33 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Scottie2Hottie]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

Loc: Geneva

The indians don't pay taxes now cigarettes why would they pay taxes om marijuana? The state isn't going to make them.

LOL! This is my favorite part about the marijuana debate. NYS is like the highest taxed state and yet no balanced budget. Taxes go up every year. Fee's go up every year. And yet no balanced budget. Always a deficit.

Possession under a certain amount in NYS is NOT a crime. Getting caught, which the chances are slim, one pays a civil penalty and one does NOT get a criminal record.

In the event there is legalization of marijuana, a person would not be allowed to grow 68 plants legally and possess illegal weapons and cocaine as well.

Legalizing marijuana isn't going to open up any prison space. The people in prison are serving time for either possession and/or distribution of a large quanity (which will still be illegal) and/or the violence associated with the nasty game of drug dealing. No one is sitting in prison because he had a joint.

The stats tell us the X amount of people in prison for drug dealing. What the stats don't tell us is which one of them took the plea deal, pled guilty to the possession charge and the gun charge or assault with a weapon charge was dismissed in full satisfaction.

#1131761 --- 01/11/10 09:38 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Taxpayer14456]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

More than $83,000 in cash from the house, a safety deposit box, and at least two bank accounts could now be seized.

Seems to me this man is now paying a tax on his business. The money can be seized and used by the sheriff's department. The equipment and training provided with the funds will be a savings for the taxpayers.

It's a win-win right?

#1131765 --- 01/11/10 09:51 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Taxpayer14456]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

It's quite possible that legalization would permit growing a certain number of plants for personal use, as did Alaska's legalization law.

Just a few large plants could certainly put one in jail under current NY law.

"What the stats don't tell us is which one of them took the plea deal, pled guilty to the possession charge and the gun charge or assault with a weapon charge was dismissed in full satisfaction."

I think about 95% take a plea to the most serious charge. It says something about our societal values when assault or weapons charges are considered more serious than is using something that can't hurt anyone else.

#1131769 --- 01/11/10 09:55 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: VM Smith]
L EE Offline

Just curious. What happens to this money. Does the grower get any, or all back ? Does the county get to keep it ? Is it used toward his bail ?????? questions, questions...

#1131770 --- 01/11/10 10:03 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: VM Smith]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

It's quite possible that legalization would permit growing a certain number of plants for personal use, as did Alaska's legalization law.

It's hard to say what would be permitted. Alcohol is illegal to have in some Alaskan villages.

I think about 95% take a plea to the most serious charge. It says something about our societal values when assault or weapons charges are considered more serious than is using something that can't hurt anyone else.

I am not so sure that 95% are pleading to the more serious charge.

#1131771 --- 01/11/10 10:03 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: L EE]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

It'll be seized and split among the arresting agencies. This is one of the main things driving the drug war. The drug war is very profitable for government, when you consider seizure, plus the corrections industry, the enforcement industry, forced counseling and rehab, etc., etc., etc..

Also, the pharm industry is against legalization; as long as cannabis, which is not parentable, is illegal, they can sell more deadly and dangerous, but legal, patented, and very expensive, psychotropic drugs like antdepressants, SSRIs, etc. Those things comprise the real drug epidemic in this country.

#1131773 --- 01/11/10 10:09 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Taxpayer14456]
VM Smith Offline
Diamond Member

In many cases, I think you're right, but I think it's common practice to lay on as many charges as possible, in order to offer a plea that the less serious ones may be dropped, in exchange for a guilty plea to the big one.

#1131776 --- 01/11/10 10:16 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: VM Smith]
Taxpayer14456 Offline

In many cases, I think you're right, but I think it's common practice to lay on as many charges as possible, in order to offer a plea that the less serious ones may be dropped, in exchange for a guilty plea to the big one.

The plea is given in full satisfaction of all the charges. Often times the sentence received is higher than what that charge pled to carries but lower than what the maximum would be if the person pled to or found guilty of the highest charge.

#1131779 --- 01/11/10 10:33 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Your Mom]
HarleyBobT Offline

Loc: Walloon Freedom Fighter
every single person on here should probably get a damn life, rather than talking on here for DAYS about something that you all have probably done be4. whether he was busted or not, there are still thousands of millions of people in NEW YORK who grow, sell, & smoke marijuana ILLEGALLY. SO...instead of focusing on THIS topic, go to the damn store, get some more food, & sit on your computer and talk about other things rather than JUST this..or here's a thought, get a damn job and go buy a life. i'm out, peace<3
Ahahahahaha...Okay MOM, I have a life and a job...now what? Can I get stoned and talk about how someone got busted for growing pot or should I set in the corner and wait for you to spank me?

#1131784 --- 01/11/10 10:42 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: HarleyBobT]
Greymane Offline

Loc: Central PA
Originally Posted By: HarleyBobT
Ahahahahaha...Okay MOM, I have a life and a job...now what? Can I get stoned and talk about how someone got busted for growing pot or should I set in the corner and wait for you to spank me?

I wouldn't challenge her, HBT. I remember hearing once that "Your Mom" wears combat boots. A spanking could be harmful!

#1131785 --- 01/11/10 10:46 AM Re: Another "retired" farmer [Re: Your Mom]
Kitty Offline

Loc: Chucking wood

I think it's pretty obvious that several posters on here are being upfront about their stance against a weed being illegal. If there were "thousands of millions" of people in NY selling pot, it wouldn't be so expensive, I wouldn't think.

I didn't see any post that insulted the man arrested. In fact, I saw more supporting him, if you will, rather than disparaging him.

Your anger is misdirected.

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >